gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:01:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any book recommendations?  (Read 3096 times)
axebear
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2016, 01:19:33 PM »

Hi all! I'm a fairly new fan of the Beach Boys. I've been listening to some of their songs for all my life, but I really got into them after I watched Love and Mercy last year. I got super interested in their history and especially about Brian! I'm excited for his book that's coming out this year but until then, does anyone have any good books to read about them? I'm kind of generally knowledgeable about them (mostly about Pet Sounds/Smile stuff) but would love to get more information and don't really know where to start. Thanks in advance!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 01:26:05 PM »

I have both Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys: the Complete Guide to Their Music and Catch a Wave. The former focuses on the music of the band (and solo), and it has entries for every album, song, and miscellaneous bit of music that was available up to 2004. The latter is an excellent biography of Brian. I recommend both.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »

I'm with Bubs, especially with Catch a Wave.  Great bio. 

I'd also add John Stebbins's Beach Boys FAQ.  Its a nice look at the entire history of the band, album reviews, and even a little bit of humor (ie. Beach Boys image issues and why it's "fun to hate Mike Love"). 
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 01:57:02 PM »

I would highly recommenced this one: The Lost Beach Boy: The True Story of David Marks one of the founding members of the Beach Boys. One of the best in my opinion.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 02:07:59 PM »

David Leaf's The Beach Boys and the California Myth
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »

There are many books out there, but these 5 books will provide you with a thorough and balanced summary of the band.  After reading them, you will be well-versed in all things Beach Boys.  My suggested list should be read in the order as presented below:

The Beach Boys and the California Myth - David Leaf

Catch a Wave - Peter Ames Carlin

Becoming the Beach Boys - James B. Murphy

Beach Boys FAQ - Jon Stebbins

The Beach Boys: The Definitive Diary of America's Greatest Band on Stage and in the Studio - Keith Badman
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 02:33:06 PM »

I forgot to mention The Beach Boys in Concert!: The Complete History of America's Band On Tour and Onstage. It's an incredibly detailed and meticulously researched Beach Boys travel log. Jon Stebbins' and Ian Rusten's (collaborative) work deserves a mention wherever Beach Boy books are talked about.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 02:35:58 PM »

Be careful; nearly every source uses lyrics that Brian Wilson didn't write to analyze his psychology.
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 05:43:09 PM »

David Leafs book is excellent. I have not read em all but I really like Timothy White's "The Nearest Faraway Place" It was published in 1994.

jet without wings
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 06:12:50 PM »

I forgot to mention The Beach Boys in Concert!: The Complete History of America's Band On Tour and Onstage. It's an incredibly detailed and meticulously researched Beach Boys travel log. Jon Stebbins' and Ian Rusten's (collaborative) work deserves a mention wherever Beach Boy books are talked about.
That's the best book IMHO.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 06:53:47 PM »

Hi all! I'm a fairly new fan of the Beach Boys. I've been listening to some of their songs for all my life, but I really got into them after I watched Love and Mercy last year. I got super interested in their history and especially about Brian! I'm excited for his book that's coming out this year but until then, does anyone have any good books to read about them? I'm kind of generally knowledgeable about them (mostly about Pet Sounds/Smile stuff) but would love to get more information and don't really know where to start. Thanks in advance!

COMMENT to axebear:  Anyone asking about the Beach Boys is going to get my recommendation to check out the study-videos at http://www.swdstudyvideos.com and just start viewing and listening. At this website is also my book on Recording The Beach Boys, which is about just that topic. Otherwise, trust the fans on this website to give you good recommendations and guidance
. ~swd
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 07:08:09 PM »

Be careful; nearly every source uses lyrics that Brian Wilson didn't write to analyze his psychology.

Speaking of which, I came across this awhile back.  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:08:56 PM by BachelorsDegreeInBullets » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 07:27:24 PM »

Although a little outdated by today's standards, Look! Listen! Vibrate! Smile! by Domenic Priore is one of the best books about the SMiLE myth out there. Gotta pick that one up for myself some day...

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 08:19:07 PM »

Timothy White's "The Nearest Faraway Place" is also worth reading...if you really want to get way back into the family history.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 02:42:50 AM »

Best is Kingsley Abbot's collection of essays and articles, Back to the Beach. A guide to the albums worth looking at is AGD's Complete Guide. A history of the background to the band is Timothy White's Nearest Faraway Place. Probably the best on Brian is Peter Carlin's book, Catch a Wave. Becomng the Beach Boys and The Lost Beach Boy are really good on the origins and early years, Best book on Dennis is by Jon Stebbins
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 03:57:20 AM »

Although Paul Williams' How Deep Is The Ocean? may not be a first choice, it does contain an ecstatic review of the GV: 30 Years box set entitled "I Believe You Anyway". Worth the price of admission alone, in my opinion. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 01:39:18 AM »

Well, I kinda rate these written ramblings... and they're free to download to boot !  Roll Eyes
www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 02:28:10 AM »

The Wilson Project is a great book if you can find it at a palatable price...

Also, if you join Audible (audio book website) you get a free download just for registering. Catch a Wave and 50 Sides of the Beach Boys are on there and great for listening to in the car, you get to keep the downloads for life when you quit Audible as well.

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Bittersweet-Insanity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 02:44:52 AM »

The Wilson Project is a great book if you can find it at a palatable price...

Also, if you join Audible (audio book website) you get a free download just for registering. Catch a Wave and 50 Sides of the Beach Boys are on there and great for listening to in the car, you get to keep the downloads for life when you quit Audible as well.

Oh yes, The Wilson Project. I also highly recommend it. For those unfamiliar: The Wilson Project is essentially an annotated diary that details Gary Usher's session work w/ Brian (and Dr. Landy) in 1986/87. There's some amusing (and depressing) anecdotes shared in it. One of my very favorite books.

The 2013 reissue is available for $32 http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Wilson-Project-2013-Edition-Beach-Boys-Brian-Wilson-/291280811349?hash=item43d1b07555:g:w0EAAOxyB0VRveM5
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:46:17 AM by Bittersweet-Insanity » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx