gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:32:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My latest Brian interview for RELIX  (Read 7138 times)
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 04:38:06 PM »

Howie, that was a great interview. You asked questions that are not usually asked. Thanks also for the "outtakes!"

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 06:11:25 PM »

My pleasure guys!
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 12:07:30 AM »

Wonderful interview, thanks so much for asking about the likes of Adult/Child too! Grin
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 04:35:14 AM »

Really wonderful interview, thanks Howie. Great stuff about the eye contact, one-on-one connection and trust bringing out spontaneous, honest, in-depth answers. There's obviously more there to be remembered and shared if he is just gently encouraged, sincerely praised and given a warm, safe, personal setting for his recollections, with someone who obviously understands him. I wonder if Melinda and his circle tell him just how much new insights will be appreciated and how much it means to the fans for him to be courageous enough to share as much as he feels comfortable with, so that it can just feel less threatening and emotionally exposed to open up. You can tell that in this interview he's really making an effort, pushing his comfort envelope and enjoying it as much as can be expected, thank you for being one of the people who makes him feel better about his intrinsically uncomfortable interview experiences. He has of course already given more than enough through his music and if it's just inherently unpleasant for him to give details (I get the feeling that some is and some isn't, technical stuff not so much, context more so) then of course he should be spared inordinate pressure to do so.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:53:28 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »

“Marcella.” Tell me what you remember about tracking that song.

Right, one of my favorites, yeah. Carl did a great job, he was really good. “Marcella,” y’know, I’m gonna tell ya, I was having mental difficulties during that time and I didn’t even know if the guys got in the studio and recorded ‘Marcella’ without me on it! So, I said, ‘I wanna be on it!’ So I overdubbed my voice on it.

Hands down that's my favorite line from the interview. Cool stuff like this would not have ended up in a run of the mill interview by a non-fan of Brian's. Very Cool!
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 01:22:30 PM »

Um, did something happen? I just now saw this and clicked on the link and there's not much in this interview at all. Really short, safe stuff. No references to the Doors or other stuff people seem to be referencing. Certainly nothing as interesting as the "outtakes" posted by Howie in this thread. Gee, I'd like to see what I've missed.

I clicked here: http://www.jambands.com/features/2016/05/16/brian-wilson-looks-back-on-pet-sounds-at-50/?1

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 02:19:34 PM »

Um, did something happen? I just now saw this and clicked on the link and there's not much in this interview at all. Really short, safe stuff. No references to the Doors or other stuff people seem to be referencing. Certainly nothing as interesting as the "outtakes" posted by Howie in this thread. Gee, I'd like to see what I've missed.

I clicked here: http://www.jambands.com/features/2016/05/16/brian-wilson-looks-back-on-pet-sounds-at-50/?1

Click on the second page.  Wink
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 02:35:57 PM »

Howie great interview! I loved that you asked about his 1970 appearances. But I agree with an earlier poster: he doesn't seem to recall detailed specifics of a lot of stuff, so if his book is way more detailed about such stuff I'm going to be wondering about it.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »

Thank you for sharing this interview!

Too bad he doesn't seem to remember much about Adult/Child, as I think some of the stuff he did in more recent years is pretty close to what he was first attempting with those sessions in 1977, like parts of the Gershwin album or his rendition of the song That Lucky Old Sun.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 08:18:02 AM »

Superb stuff, Howie. Knowing Brian's approach to interviews, you've developed a great way to keep things light and positive, and then slip in questions on topics that are likely more dodgy for Brian, thus creating a better chance that he'll be comfortable enough to answer in a way that we haven't heard before.

And--it works!! Here's hoping you have many more opportunities to continue on with this approach.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »

Well worth the read.  But then I expected it to be.  Standards set, realized and adhered to.  Thanks Howie/Brian.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx