gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:45:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My latest Brian interview for RELIX  (Read 7129 times)
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »

Check it out. . .

http://www.jambands.com/features/2016/05/16/brian-wilson-looks-back-on-pet-sounds-at-50/?1
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 06:21:11 PM »

Well done mate!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 06:24:08 PM »

Much thanks.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 06:42:16 PM »

Great interview!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 07:01:51 PM »

Thanks for posting that Howie! Great job as usual!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 08:39:11 PM »

Some great questions you asked!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 08:58:55 PM »

Aw man, what a great interview. Get a little in depth and it really paid off, seemed like Brian was interested.

Once again, great interview. Hope maybe you could get a longer interview with Brian one of these days.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 09:11:11 PM »

That was a pretty cool interview. Interesting that Brian listens to the Doors. Never would have imagined him as a Doors fan.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 10:05:04 PM »

Great read. Thanks, Howie.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 10:52:36 PM »

Very good interview.  I do wish Howie had asked if Brian had written any new songs in the last year and if he has any plans for new material, but I'm sure someone will ask those questions.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 11:01:47 PM »

Nicely done; I like how your questions jump a decade (give or take) in the chronology if there's the slightest waning of interest. Was this done on the phone? Face to face?

Many thanks Howie.

“We live in divisive times.”
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 12:20:11 AM »

Great article. i love the final quote: "it’s probably one of the best albums we ever did." That'll have most readers' eyebrows flying over their heads at the understatement, but to many of us diehard fans it seems a very good way of putting it.

Please delete my account
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 03:49:43 AM »

Good one, Howie!  Smiley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 04:37:07 AM »

HE: One of the most beloved tracks on Pet Sounds is “Sloop John B.“—which, depending on who you talk to, you didn’t want included on Pet Sounds, but caved under record company pressure to include it. Clear it up once and for all did you want “Sloop John B. on Pet Sounds?

BW: I wanted it to be a single but when they said ‘album,’ I said ‘fine,’ that was okay with me. I said it would help the album. Y’know, it would help it sell and it would fit perfectly.

That is most satisfying to read. Thank you both. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 05:10:16 AM »

Thanks, Howie!

Quote from: Brian Wilson
Pet Sounds is shorter.
Azn
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 06:00:04 AM »

A lot was left on the cutting room floor. . .

What about writing – what’s going on with new music?

I haven’t written anything for about a year-and-a-half. I’m gonna start writing again.

Who did you think you’re going to write with?

I’m gonna write with myself this time.

Music and lyrics?

Yeah.

I wish you would work with Jeff Lynne again.

Oh, like “Let It Shine?” Yeah, than was a good one. Jeff and I wrote that.

Yeah, there was a 6-string bass on it, and it was just really smart, emotional music.  Y’know, Jeff Lynne just produced Bryan Adams, and the way he did it was: ‘Do your vocals, do the demo, send it to me and I’ll do everything else.’ I think that would be perfect for you. I think the two of you would do a great album in that way. A whole new different way of doing it.

Right! Right! Right!

I also think you should work with Barry Gibb.

Y’know, I’ve thought about that. I think I’m gonna pass on that.

Why?

I’m a little scared of him. I’m scared of his music.

It’s pretty powerful, right?

Yeah, pretty good music. A little scary for me to think about working with him.

In 1966 and 1967 you created the three most famous Brian Wilson productions – Pet Sounds, the “Good Vibrations” single, and Smile – which were immediately followed up with two albums, Smiley Smile and Wild Honey with the production credit attributed to “The Beach Boys.” How and why did that change come about?

I remember that, yeah.

Why did that happen?

I don’t know. It’s been too long ago to remember.

You remember a song from Wild Honey called “Aren’t You Glad”?

I sure do! I like that song!

We’re coming up on the 40th anniversary of the (Beach Boys’) “Brian Is Back” publicity campaign and there was a lot of incredible music that happened in that time – 15 Big Ones, Love You, and (the unreleased) Adult/Child.

Right.

Adult/Child has amazing songs like “It’s Trying To Say,” “Everybody Wants To Live,” “Lines” – and those songs are kind of lost to the mists of time. Do you ever think about these songs? Are they still a part of you? Are they in there still?

Y’know, I haven’t thought about those songs recently at all. It’s like a blur.  It’s like I can’t even remember that Adult/Child album.

Well, 2016 marks 40 years since you first “came back” – what do you remember about all those events – playing Oakland, Anaheim. The NBC Lorne Michaels special?

Well, the Lorne Michaels special I liked very much, but a lot of this I can’t remember ‘cause it’s a long time ago.

What do you remember about The Beach Boys Love You -- which as you know, is almost as cherished by your fans -- for entirely different reasons -- as Pet Sounds and Smile is?

We gave ourselves, like 10, 12 hours a day booked time, y’know? And we took our time and we weren’t in any big rush to go anywhere, so we just took our time and recorded Love You.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 06:10:16 AM »

Re: John's question. . . 

This interview came from two separate phone calls.

I've easily interviewed BW a dozen or so times and have found that when talking to him one on one -- either in his home or a studio -- if you can see his eyes, you can connect and it makes for a smoother, more natural chat. He's reading you the whole time. He's vibing you. It's intense. The last of those Wilson brother eyes. With the phone, I just pop it out like a Rorschach -- the answer is the answer. He's got 'em all -- he just doesn't want to say or go into it. (And why would you if every personal and professional triumph was cased in bull sh*t from your surroundings?)

I have noticed that his classic dodge of "I don't know -- ask me another question" has been replaced with "It's a long tine ago. I don't remember."

To talk with him is a joy.
He's an angel.
I end every chat telling him I love him.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 06:22:40 AM »

A lot was left on the cutting room floor. . .

What about writing – what’s going on with new music?

I haven’t written anything for about a year-and-a-half. I’m gonna start writing again.

Who did you think you’re going to write with?

I’m gonna write with myself this time.

Music and lyrics?

Yeah.

I wish you would work with Jeff Lynne again.

Oh, like “Let It Shine?” Yeah, than was a good one. Jeff and I wrote that.

Yeah, there was a 6-string bass on it, and it was just really smart, emotional music.  Y’know, Jeff Lynne just produced Bryan Adams, and the way he did it was: ‘Do your vocals, do the demo, send it to me and I’ll do everything else.’ I think that would be perfect for you. I think the two of you would do a great album in that way. A whole new different way of doing it.

Right! Right! Right!

I also think you should work with Barry Gibb.

Y’know, I’ve thought about that. I think I’m gonna pass on that.

Why?

I’m a little scared of him. I’m scared of his music.

It’s pretty powerful, right?

Yeah, pretty good music. A little scary for me to think about working with him.

In 1966 and 1967 you created the three most famous Brian Wilson productions – Pet Sounds, the “Good Vibrations” single, and Smile – which were immediately followed up with two albums, Smiley Smile and Wild Honey with the production credit attributed to “The Beach Boys.” How and why did that change come about?

I remember that, yeah.

Why did that happen?

I don’t know. It’s been too long ago to remember.

You remember a song from Wild Honey called “Aren’t You Glad”?

I sure do! I like that song!

We’re coming up on the 40th anniversary of the (Beach Boys’) “Brian Is Back” publicity campaign and there was a lot of incredible music that happened in that time – 15 Big Ones, Love You, and (the unreleased) Adult/Child.

Right.

Adult/Child has amazing songs like “It’s Trying To Say,” “Everybody Wants To Live,” “Lines” – and those songs are kind of lost to the mists of time. Do you ever think about these songs? Are they still a part of you? Are they in there still?

Y’know, I haven’t thought about those songs recently at all. It’s like a blur.  It’s like I can’t even remember that Adult/Child album.

Well, 2016 marks 40 years since you first “came back” – what do you remember about all those events – playing Oakland, Anaheim. The NBC Lorne Michaels special?

Well, the Lorne Michaels special I liked very much, but a lot of this I can’t remember ‘cause it’s a long time ago.

What do you remember about The Beach Boys Love You -- which as you know, is almost as cherished by your fans -- for entirely different reasons -- as Pet Sounds and Smile is?

We gave ourselves, like 10, 12 hours a day booked time, y’know? And we took our time and we weren’t in any big rush to go anywhere, so we just took our time and recorded Love You.

Aahhh, thanks for that!c Shocked
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 07:54:39 AM »

Thanks so much, Howie.

Among other things, I appreciated the shout-out to Love You. I'd be curious how he regards some of the songs and arrangements. Has Brian ever given an in-depth interview on that album in his later years?

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 09:20:58 AM »

Thanks, Howie. Made my day.
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »

This is amazing, thank you Howie!

I'm very glad you're also a Love You fan and its a thrill to see you asked Brian what he recalled from the album.

I have a question for you: In this interview (or previous ) did you ever felt Brian was nostalgic about Love You? In wikipedia there's a quote from Earle Mankey about Brian saying he was searching for the same 'fire' from his younger days when recording Love You.

I just think that's a very powerful statement, making Love You very personal and full of sonic melancholy. What do you think?

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 02:20:15 PM »

I really enjoyed reading that.  He's such a sweet soul.  Thanks, Howie!
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 02:23:24 PM »

Great interview, Howie!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 04:01:24 PM »

Great stuff Howie.  Thanks for asking the questions most of us here would like Brian to get asked in interviews.  You've built up trust over the years and it shows.  Grin

I hope he 'remembers' the answers to some of those questions before his book comes out!

I would love to see Brian sitting at a piano being interviewed by someone like you where he's relaxed and opens up and demonstrates some of his inspiration/ideas for his songs on the piano.  How he came up with things etc.  I've seen some snippets over the years but it would be great to have more.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 04:09:27 PM »

Super interview, thank you Howie!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx