gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680873 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:37:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Updates at bellagio  (Read 3558 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:53:23 AM »

Just thought I'd mention that our absent friend AGD and I continue to update the gigs/sessions section of bellagio 10452 website hosted by ESQ. As more concerts and session info is found we add it. So if you copied info about 1974 three years ago it's possible a lot has been changed. A number of recent changes are thanks to research by Bgaswoodie, Jim Murphy, C-Man and Julio Pelayo.  For example bgas spotted a ticket stub for sale for an October 29 1975 show at Illinois state university in Normal Illinois that I was unaware of. He also spotted a ticket for the taping of the mini concert seen in the 1980 documentary about keeping the summer alive so we now know that show was taped at KTTV on January 30 1980.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 10:43:33 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, Ian. I'd be lost without that site.

Can't beat bgas. And all the best to Andrew. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:03:17 AM »

Thanks Ian! Updated the Pro Shot Concerts list with the KTTV info!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 02:00:25 PM »

I consulted bellagio nearly every day while I was researching and writing Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963

It is, without question, the finest resource in the world for anyone interested in learning more about the band and the breadth of their incredible career. 

That Ian and Andrew continue to fine-tune and improve it, is truly a gift -- to everyone who loves the band, and to the Beach Boys and their unparalleled musical legacy.   
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »

Great to read it's being updated.

Such a great prolific website which would be a shame to lose. 
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 02:36:56 PM »

Just thought I'd mention that our absent friend AGD and I continue to update the gigs/sessions section of bellagio 10452 website hosted by ESQ. As more concerts and session info is found we add it. So if you copied info about 1974 three years ago it's possible a lot has been changed. A number of recent changes are thanks to research by Bgaswoodie, Jim Murphy, C-Man and Julio Pelayo.  For example bgas spotted a ticket stub for sale for an October 29 1975 show at Illinois state university in Normal Illinois that I was unaware of. He also spotted a ticket for the taping of the mini concert seen in the 1980 documentary about keeping the summer alive so we now know that show was taped at KTTV on January 30 1980.

Thank You, Ian.  We will continue to read and watch for updates.

bgas, get your butt back over here!

And I echo john k's words, give our best to Andrew.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 02:41:38 PM »

One small change to the old tour dates pages: I've mentioned this a few times in passing in BW tour threads, but admittedly haven't e-mailed anyone. Two BW tour dates on the Bellagio site from September 2000 can be corrected. They currently read:

BW 19 - Mountain Winery, Saratoga CA [no orchestra]
BW 20 - Villa Montalvo Winery Saratoga CA [no orchestra]

In actuality, the show on the 19th was scheduled for the Garden Theatre at Villa Montalvo, and the show on the 20th was scheduled for The Mountain Winery. City and state are correct. Additionally, the show on the 19th was canceled months ahead of time, so only the show at The Mountain Winery in Saratoga, CA on 9/20 actually took place. And it did indeed not feature an orchestra.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 02:49:48 PM »

Another question on the Bellagio timeline, this time from 1999: It mentions October 1 as a Brian overdub session for "You're Still a Mystery" and "Soul Searchin'." For the former, this is the lead used on the MIC set. (Not sure about "Soul Searchin'"; did they use '99 Brian vocals on GIOMH in 2004?). The studio listed is Your Place or Mine, Mark Linett's studio. But I recall reading that Linett wasn't aware of the Brian lead vocal overdub until compiling the MIC set. Are we sure the session was at Linett's studio? I suppose it could have been done without Linett present. Just a little curiosity.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 04:18:29 PM »

Thanks for the correction and I'll ask AGD about your question.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 04:55:54 PM »

Just a small mistake I noticed:

On the gigs page for 1984, it lists a gig as

July 6 - Riverside-Brookfield High School Stadium, Chicago IL [w/Three Dog Night]

The high school is actually in Brookfield, IL, not Chicago. It's still really cool to see they played a gig in my hometown, though!

And thank you both for keeping the page up to date. It's one of the best resources made by fans of any band ever, period.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 05:00:01 PM »

A lot of small errors like that crop up because if you're not from an area you may be unaware of exact locations.  For example the bbs played at pine knob many many times. This was the venue to see shows for folks in Detroit in the 70s and 80s but of course it's actually in nearby clarkston Michigan.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 06:55:28 PM »

So, where is Andrew ? What happened ?
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 06:57:40 PM »

Banned a month ago, go to the sandbox for more

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 03:20:11 AM »

As far as the recording session info we stand by our info
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »

He received a lifetime ban. As BachelorsDegreeInBullets said, visit the sandbox for more information.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 10:17:09 AM »

As far as the recording session info we stand by our info

Oh, I definitely wasn't questioning it. I was more curious to know if maybe someone other than Linett engineered the session, since he apparently wasn't aware of it until circa 2012, or of its possible someone else could have engineered a session at his studio. Who knows, maybe he had just sort of forgotten about the overdub session in the intervening 13 or so years, or had always known about it.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx