gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:15:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All I Wanna Do: Appreciation  (Read 6948 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2016, 07:39:55 PM »

I'm not sure if this has been made already, but I'd like to shine light, on my personal favorite BB's tune.

I think "All I Wanna Do" is pure magic. The synths, organs, guitar, drums, and vocals are so amazing. The chords blow me away with the use of minor 7th chords, and key changes... I could go on and on...

I think it's Mikes highest point in the BBs career (maybe tied with Big Sur)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:31:51 AM by sockittome » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 08:03:51 PM »

Yes, this is a track I've really come to appreciate and love in the past year or so.  Was this a classic music by Brian and words by Mike song?  Did anyone else have an uncredited part in writing it?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 09:09:22 PM »

Sometimes I mix up "All I Wanna Do" with "All I Want to Do". Could there be 2 more different songs? One song feels like meditation set to music; the other feels like...well, you know what it feels like.  Shocked
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 06:09:24 AM »

If it weren't for "All I Wanna Do", this forum would not have to put up with my meanderings.

It was my Damascene moment, so to speak (see the first post in my "Oops" topic in the "Welcome" section).   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 09:21:31 AM »

Shoulda been a single, preferably with At My Window as its B-side.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 10:39:21 AM »

Beautiful song. One of my favorites.

Although I've heard Brian's involvement in that song was somewhat limited, this article seems to refute that. Anyone know the extent of Brian's involvement in this one?

http://www.laweekly.com/music/brian-wilsons-secret-bedroom-tapes-a-track-by-track-description-4479099

""All I Wanna Do" (1968 version) - Wilson also cut an early version of the gorgeous Sunflower ballad, "All I Wanna Do," which in '68 featured a sitar, but no lyrics."

"The 1970 version of "All I Wanna Do," written by Wilson and demo'd in '68, was recorded for the Sunflower album with Wilson completely absent from the final production. Note: A few additional tracks from this era have been recently discovered, but not heard by this author."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 10:45:02 AM »

Yes, this is a track I've really come to appreciate and love in the past year or so.  Was this a classic music by Brian and words by Mike song?  Did anyone else have an uncredited part in writing it?

Mike is thought to have written a little more than the lyrics, although there are no specifics as to what he did or didn't write. There's also a post by Alan Boyd somewhere around here that details Carl's involvement in the song; I think I remember it being mostly on the production side. Subtract their contributions, and you have what Brian added to the song, I guess.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 10:50:48 AM »

This thread has been done a few time (not saying it shouldn't be done again  Grin )

It's such a perfect song, magical

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »

An excellent song with great vox from ML.
Reverberation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »

All I Wanna Do is great. It's a contender for one of my favorite tunes on Sunflower and definitely one of my favorite Mike Love songs, like someone else said it's up there with the "Landlocked" Big Sur for just some of the best full on psychedelic colorfully drenched bliss in pop music (as well as All This is That, but I don't know how much Mike was involved with that one but it evokes the same feeling for me). It was really interesting hearing Stephen Desper talk about this track in Recording the Beach Boys. Now I've read about there being that first version with the sitar on it, which I assume is an actual sitar, but isn't there a sitar guitar (like those danelectros) on the album version?
Tacos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 03:00:26 PM »

Great song.
All I Wanna Do >> All I Want To Do
KDS
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 05:28:36 AM »

I'm not sure if this has been made already, but I'd like to shine light, on my personal favorite BB's tune.

I think "All I Wanna Do" is pure magic. The synths, organs, guitar, drums, and vocals are so amazing. The chords blow me away with the use of minor 7th chords, and key changes... I could go on and on...

I think it's Mikes highest point in the BBs career (maybe tied with Big Sur)

My favorite track from my favorite Beach Boys album.  IMO, the last great Love / B. Wilson song. 

I almost got to hear it live three months ago.  Apparently, it was in the setlist on the stage at the Baltimore concert I attended, but it was dropped. 
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 06:37:06 AM »

Great song.

All I Wanna Do>>>>>>>>>>>>>All I Want To Do

KDS
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 07:05:56 AM »

Great song.

All I Wanna Do>>>>>>>>>>>>>All I Want To Do

I think Dennis was having more fun on All I Want To Do. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 04:01:31 AM »

This topic has some interesting things to say about the sitar sounds to be heard on "All I Wanna Do":

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23033.0.html

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 04:07:19 AM »

...isn't there a sitar guitar (like those danelectros) on the album version?

Yes.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 12:50:57 PM »

Lindsey Buckingham has said that "That's All for Everyone" from Fleetwood Mac's Tusk album was his tribute to Brian Wilson.  I get the feeling that he was thinking of "All I Wanna Do" when he wrote it.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 01:04:45 PM »

Lindsey Buckingham has said that "That's All for Everyone" from Fleetwood Mac's Tusk album was his tribute to Brian Wilson.  I get the feeling that he was thinking of "All I Wanna Do" when he wrote it.

That wouldn't surprise me. Both of these stunning songs have the same indefinable atmosphere, as if stepping into a unique world.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »

And yet All I Wanna Do was left off both Good Vibrations and Made in California box sets! In fact, it's never appeared on an best-of, ever... Yet it's such an obvious highlight of the album and the era.
KDS
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 11:06:37 AM »

And yet All I Wanna Do was left off both Good Vibrations and Made in California box sets! In fact, it's never appeared on an best-of, ever... Yet it's such an obvious highlight of the album and the era.

I never understood that either. 

I'd have swapped out Cool Cool Water for All I Wanna Do on the Warmth of the Sun compilation. 

I picked Cool Cool Water since it's a fellow Sunflower track.

Disclaimer:
My wanting to swap out Cool Cool Water for another song on a Beach Boys compilation is in no way disrespecting the song Cool Cool Water. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 11:30:35 AM »

Considering Mike has started playing it (due, I'm sure, in no small part to fan appreciation of this song), I would tend to think that if MIC were released in 2016 instead of 2013, that All I Wanna Do would have had a far greater chance of having been included. I hope I helped kickstart Mike being aware of fans' adoration of All I Wanna Do when I asked him and Brian about the song at the Grammy Museum. It benefits Mike's reputation and legacy to be known for writing some artistic, psychedelic songs, so that fans can know that he was, on occasion when he wanted to be, capable of contributing otherworldly and progressive material for this band - and not just the well-known early stuff - and there's no better example than this song. He should be proud of it.

I'd love to hear Mike break down what he remembers about the song's construction, and how it came about with Brian.  He's done that so many times with Good Vibrations, but I'll bet there might still be a story or two that he could recall about this song, if he were asked about it.

I know I've read in passing on this board that Mike's contributions to this song were beyond lyrical - that he wrote the melody, or that it more of his idea from a musical standpoint, compared to most other Brian/Mike collabs. Sorta like Let the Wind Blow. How do we know this? What's the source of this info?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:24:06 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 05:20:54 PM »

I never understood that either. 

I'd have swapped out Cool Cool Water for All I Wanna Do on the Warmth of the Sun compilation. 

I picked Cool Cool Water since it's a fellow Sunflower track.

Disclaimer:
My wanting to swap out Cool Cool Water for another song on a Beach Boys compilation is in no way disrespecting the song Cool Cool Water. 

No disclaimer necessary, since that single version of CCW was butcher-edited
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 05:47:20 PM »

No disclaimer necessary, since that single version of CCW was butcher-edited

wadoowadoowaCOOL SO COOL

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 08:39:31 PM »

That wouldn't surprise me. Both of these stunning songs have the same indefinable atmosphere, as if stepping into a unique world.

Yeah - you said it. Both have given me chills ever since first hearing them.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx