gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680716 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 02:40:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RARE 1969 Paris Concert footage + mixer's comments  (Read 14618 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 07:31:57 PM »

If you are going to order from INA-FR make damn sure you can speak French and DO NOT order until you have created an account. I ordered this and filled out all the automated account creation sections during the order process, and discovered my order is not in my account despite getting a confirmation email. Not something you like when your french is cursory.
For those curious, I got the same results as above. I even went ahead and started an account *first*, and then placed the order. "It's only about $4.50 US, how can I lose?" Between my rusty French and Google translator, the checkout process and everything seemed normal and totally made sense. It's just that after you place the order, your order simply doesn't appear where it should (or anywhere else) to download.

I've put in an email to them, we'll see what happens. I would advise other folks against purchasing until they iron this issue out. Hopefully the tech support people can fix the issue. I'm sure it's a super easy fix for them, it's just a matter of whether they can process my English e-mail and whether their tech folks actually respond to issues like this in any sort of timely manner.

Mooger and HeyJude, I initially had the same frustrating experience. Using Google Chrome's web page translation I created an account and made the purchase. A subsequent screen as well as an email they sent advised me that I could now download my purchase, but after a few attempts no actual order showed up which could be clicked to download. Around an hour or two later I tried logging in again, clicked on My Orders, and voila, my order number and a download icon suddenly appeared. Not sure if this site typically experiences a delay in the order showing up on a person's account, or if logging out and logging back in again did the trick.

Anyway, glad it finally worked out for you, Mooger, and HeyJude, try logging in again and see if that does the trick.

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 07:49:02 PM »

Anybody wondering what Bruce added to the band needs to watch this footage.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 07:33:25 AM »

If you are going to order from INA-FR make damn sure you can speak French and DO NOT order until you have created an account. I ordered this and filled out all the automated account creation sections during the order process, and discovered my order is not in my account despite getting a confirmation email. Not something you like when your french is cursory.
For those curious, I got the same results as above. I even went ahead and started an account *first*, and then placed the order. "It's only about $4.50 US, how can I lose?" Between my rusty French and Google translator, the checkout process and everything seemed normal and totally made sense. It's just that after you place the order, your order simply doesn't appear where it should (or anywhere else) to download.

I've put in an email to them, we'll see what happens. I would advise other folks against purchasing until they iron this issue out. Hopefully the tech support people can fix the issue. I'm sure it's a super easy fix for them, it's just a matter of whether they can process my English e-mail and whether their tech folks actually respond to issues like this in any sort of timely manner.

Mooger and HeyJude, I initially had the same frustrating experience. Using Google Chrome's web page translation I created an account and made the purchase. A subsequent screen as well as an email they sent advised me that I could now download my purchase, but after a few attempts no actual order showed up which could be clicked to download. Around an hour or two later I tried logging in again, clicked on My Orders, and voila, my order number and a download icon suddenly appeared. Not sure if this site typically experiences a delay in the order showing up on a person's account, or if logging out and logging back in again did the trick.

Anyway, glad it finally worked out for you, Mooger, and HeyJude, try logging in again and see if that does the trick.

Yep. I was thinking/hoping it was just a lag in the file showing up for download. Their download speed is stunningly slow (which makes it easier for downloads to time out), but on a second try I got it to download. It's an .avi file, and I was able to convert it to .mp4 so it will play via USB drive on my Blu-ray player.

This show is much better on a big, real TV than a computer screen. The quality is good, though a 480MB (or whatever it is) .avi file means it has been compressed. I'm sure the original videotape looks and sounds even better. But as it is, it looks and sounds pretty good overall. Stunning to have a full pro-shot concert from 1969.

I wish BRI would scrape together some pro-shot stuff and put it out; right now a French website offering a cheapie download is outdoing them.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 07:38:09 AM »

I don't think anybody who has seen pics of the band and listened to live recordings from this era could have ever doubted that Bruce was a key musician in the band during this era. Even with a small contingent of backing guys (Ed Carter and horns), Bruce's parts are not superfluous or mixed down.

I think it was when he came back in 1978, and more into the later 80s and 90s when they had more backing guys, that Bruce's audible input in terms of musicianship, was minimal. There's even a quote from a Howie Edelson interview where Bruce acknowledges that his keyboard playing in concert in the latter era is about accompanying himself more than the band.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2016, 11:17:16 PM »

Listening to various boots also, it seems pretty clear that Bruce is an extremely skilled keyboard player. Assume that's him on Nearest Faraway Place also. I reckon he'd make a great asset to Brian's live act, vocally and instrumentally; why his abilities are so under-used is beyond me, unless he's lazy, which I doubt!

“We live in divisive times.”
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 07:49:25 AM »

Listening to various boots also, it seems pretty clear that Bruce is an extremely skilled keyboard player. Assume that's him on Nearest Faraway Place also. I reckon he'd make a great asset to Brian's live act, vocally and instrumentally; why his abilities are so under-used is beyond me, unless he's lazy, which I doubt!
Comment to John Manning:
Why on earth would you think it was not Bruce Johnston playing the piano?  He went to The Juilliard School of Music, can play all manner of classical compositions from memory and is responsible for about half of the vocal arrangements of the band's.
He and Michael have teamed-up together mainly because of band politics, and the influence of spouses. The current tour involves close to two-hundred shows, hardly a lazy schedule. Smiley
~swd
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:29:55 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 08:08:53 AM »

Bruce: "The best Beach Boy album, Pet Sounds!"
Michael (dubiously): "Oh, well..."

Please delete my account
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 08:36:38 AM »

COMMENT to unreleased backgrounds:
Yes, but Michael got his cap feathers from Kokomo, the song with the most sales in the BB roster and the highest grossing. Outpacing even Brian. And don't forget, Bruce, as a song writer, is the only Grammy winning Beach Boy. ~swd
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:31:14 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 06:19:20 PM »

Comment to John Manning:
Why on earth would you think it was not Bruce Johnston playing the piano?  He went to The Juilliard School of Music, can play all manner of classical compositions from memory and is responsible for about half of the vocal arrangements of the band's.
He and Michael have teamed-up together mainly because of band politics, and the influence of spouses. The current tour involves close to two-hundred shows, hardly a lazy schedule. Smiley
~swd
But if you have seen the group in the last 30 years, there is little or no evidence of Bruce's keyboard talents. Mostly he is seen clapping, adjusting his microphone, and some backing vocals. Honestly, when I would see the group in the years after Dennis' death, the only guy was certain was playing was Carl.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 06:39:13 PM »

Comment to John Manning:
~swd
But if you have seen the group in the last 30 years, there is little or no evidence of Bruce's keyboard talents. Mostly he is seen clapping, adjusting his microphone, and some backing vocals. Honestly, when I would see the group in the years after Dennis' death, the only guy was certain was playing was Carl.
COMMENT to Lonely Summer:  Sorry to hear that. Perhaps it is one of the reasons Bruce decided to tour with Michael. With just the two principals on stage, he would have a more important role.  I have no idea, just speculating. What are your thoughts? ~swd
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 10:48:37 PM »

Comment to John Manning:
~swd

I didn't think it wasn't Bruce on the track. As stated,. I assumed it was Bruce on the track - always have - but without looking it up I didn't want to state it as a fact. Thanks for verifying my assumption though.

I've never met Bruce and haven't read about his schooling. Having seen him in concert a few dozen times though, and based on the information you've just kindly provided, I'd say that these days he's squandering that great talent and privileged education. As Lonely Summer states, his contribution live on stage today doesn't compare with that Paris footage. Perhaps though he has his reasons and someone might enlighten us. It'd be good to know.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:51:19 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 11:27:04 PM »

Comment to John Manning:
~swd
COMMENT to Lonely Summer:  Sorry to hear that. Perhaps it is one of the reasons Bruce decided to tour with Michael. With just the two principals on stage, he would have a more important role.  I have no idea, just speculating. What are your thoughts? ~swd
I can't comment on the Mike and Bruce shows since I haven't gone to any. I always had the impression that Bruce was fine with just being a minor player on stage. Most of the spotlight in those 80s/90s shows was on Mike, Carl, and Al. I do remember Bruce singing "Do You Wanna Dance" at one show, I thought that was very good. Occasionally he would talk to crowd. I remember seeing him in front of the stage one time talking to some fans, but me, being shy, I didn't go up to talk to him. Wish I had.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 04:06:03 AM »

I don't think anybody who has seen pics of the band and listened to live recordings from this era could have ever doubted that Bruce was a key musician in the band during this era. Even with a small contingent of backing guys (Ed Carter and horns), Bruce's parts are not superfluous or mixed down.

I think it was when he came back in 1978, and more into the later 80s and 90s when they had more backing guys, that Bruce's audible input in terms of musicianship, was minimal. There's even a quote from a Howie Edelson interview where Bruce acknowledges that his keyboard playing in concert in the latter era is about accompanying himself more than the band.

I did see a couple of '80s shows ('82 and '84) where Bruce's piano playing was more heavily emphasized, because he was the only pianist on stage for most of the show. If you've ever seen their appearance on the Mike Douglas show ('80), that's another such example.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 04:49:31 AM »

COMMENT to unreleased backgrounds:
Yes, but Michael got his cap feathers from Kokomo, the song with the most sales in the BB roster and the highest grossing. Outpacing even Brian. And don't forget, Bruce, as a song writer, is the only Grammy winning Beach Boy. ~swd

There's more to life than sales, as you know Stephen lol. Obviously Kokomo is a very well-crafted commercial product, which distills and disseminates a certain aspect of the band's message quote effectively, I'll just leave it at that. Mike certainly misses no opportunity to advertise his pride in the grosses it generated. Bruce is a terrific songwriter, and his performances of Disney Girls in the C50 show I saw and a mid- '90s concert I attended (All This Is That was beautifully done as well) were highlights. I've always been very fond of NFP, great to see him do it live, it has his uniquely comforting, insular, ecstatic WASP-ish SoCal escapist aesthetic in spades. Brian could be said to have won a Grammy for his Smile material with the 2011 Best Historical Album award for the SS, although of course that prize was technically given to Messrs. Boyd and Linett, who richly deserved the honor.

Really love this footage, very well mixed (the rarely-performed Break Away is another standout), thanks for the background and contextual info Stephen.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:26:52 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 05:31:04 AM »

Brian could be said to have won a Grammy for his Smile material with the 2011 Best Historical Album award, although of course that prize was technically given to Messrs. Boyd and Linett, who richly deserved the honor.

Don't forget though that Brian did win a Grammy in 2005 for Best Rock Instrumental Performance with Mrs. O'Leary's Cow.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2016, 08:03:25 AM »

Comment to John Manning:
~swd
COMMENT to Lonely Summer:  Sorry to hear that. Perhaps it is one of the reasons Bruce decided to tour with Michael. With just the two principals on stage, he would have a more important role.  I have no idea, just speculating. What are your thoughts? ~swd
I can't comment on the Mike and Bruce shows since I haven't gone to any. I always had the impression that Bruce was fine with just being a minor player on stage. Most of the spotlight in those 80s/90s shows was on Mike, Carl, and Al. I do remember Bruce singing "Do You Wanna Dance" at one show, I thought that was very good. Occasionally he would talk to crowd. I remember seeing him in front of the stage one time talking to some fans, but me, being shy, I didn't go up to talk to him. Wish I had.
COMMENT to Lonely Summer and John Manning:  Well me, not being shy, do speak with Bruce occasionally. One of the reasons Bruce continues to work as a Beach Boy is because he has a family and has put his three children through collage -- some of the best in the world. It is not cheap to attend Cambridge and Oxford. Now his kids are all grown and accomplished professionals and Bruce is 73 ... still entertaining. In the past Bruce has earned income as an arranger for various non-Beach Boy projects, sung BG with other performers or on their records, and written songs for others. So his talents have not been wasted or squandered, it's just that what he does is often in the background and not highlighted. ~swd
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:06:01 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2016, 08:05:17 AM »

Brian could be said to have won a Grammy for his Smile material with the 2011 Best Historical Album award, although of course that prize was technically given to Messrs. Boyd and Linett, who richly deserved the honor.

Don't forget though that Brian did win a Grammy in 2005 for Best Rock Instrumental Performance with Mrs. O'Leary's Cow.
COMMENT to AvanTodd:  Thanks. You are right.  I stand corrected.  ~swd
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »

COMMENT to AvanTodd:  Thanks. You are right.  I stand corrected.  ~swd
Brian also won a Grammy in 2013 for the Smile Sessions box, as one of the "Compilation Producers".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 09:10:25 AM »

2005 Grammy awards:

2013 Grammy awards:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 09:47:12 AM »

Look how more confident BW is in the 2013 picture. Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2016, 10:08:23 AM »

Look how more confident BW is in the 2013 picture. Cool

I think there's gotta be some extra weight off his shoulders at that point for not just BWPS having been released and lauded, but for the actual original session tapes to have finally gotten proper release and recognition. Love it.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2016, 07:38:14 PM »

COMMENT: Re-visiting grand moments ...

>>> http://www.grammy.com/videos/19th-annual-grammy-awards-song-of-the-year
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzIvdZiLjV0

~swd
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:38:49 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
If Mars had life on it...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2016, 06:48:25 AM »

This is the first I've heard of Bruce and Julliard.  I looked on the web and can't find anything to substantiate this.  Did he visit?  He certainly doesn't have a degree or we'd have heard about it ad naseum like we have his grammy.  You'd think someone with that skill set would actually be audible in performances.  One problem I have with Bruce is his incredible dorkyness.  Is there a person in rock n roll that could possibly be any less rock n roll? 
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2016, 07:49:30 AM »

This is the first I've heard of Bruce and Julliard.  I looked on the web and can't find anything to substantiate this.  Did he visit?  He certainly doesn't have a degree or we'd have heard about it ad naseum like we have his grammy.  You'd think someone with that skill set would actually be audible in performances.  One problem I have with Bruce is his incredible dorkyness.  Is there a person in rock n roll that could possibly be any less rock n roll? 
COMMENT:  I don't know if he was graduated or not, may have attended some classes. He is a class-taught musician, understands music theory, and could easily teach the same.
I guess the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame has a differing opinion than you do about Bruce, since he's been admitted into that exclusive club for many years and is involved in every essential song on their list for the group. The Beach Boys have a very long history. You should review that history starting with the '60s.
~swd
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2016, 09:04:06 AM »

Bruce is an enigmatic character in a band whose actions have at times been mysterious. He replaced Brian in 1965 on the road, and clearly brought significant musical chops to live performances, but his contributions in the studio remain murky and mysterious until the so-called "rudderless democracy" period (which, as we know now, was a time frame in which the rest of the band evolved into essentially self-sufficient songwriters and producers, usually in collaboration with Stephen "Sound Visionary" Desper).

Stephen, what can you tell us about Bruce's work in the studio in that time frame? While it's true that during thus time frame Bruce did show an aversion to the material in the BB's evolving canon that rocked hard, he had a few notable moments, particularly in the creation of "Disney Girls," which has some wonderful production touches. I may simply have missed it, but have you written at all about the production history of that song?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx