gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:53:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RARE 1969 Paris Concert footage + mixer's comments  (Read 14559 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2016, 10:46:27 AM »

COMMENT:

Olympia Music Hall
Paris    June of 1969

Professor Mike Conner, who helps me with the Study-Videos, sent me this link. Until now I have never seen it, but with this posting thought I’d comment on a few points from the mixer's point of view --- since I was the mixing engineer.

The concert is in five sections. You will need to toggle from section to section. Contrary to what it says, it is not complete, but still a good portion survives.

Mixer’s Comments (47 years later.  I was 27 years old at the time)

This is a typical show performance by all five Beach Boys: Michael, Carl, Alan, Bruce, and Dennis plus Ed Carter and Daryl Dragon made up the core band.

I am amazed that the mix sounds as good as it does all these years later. The video is for a TV Special with audio taken from my console output.

If you can, listen at a louder then normal level. This is a concert mix and the overall blend will only make sense if the level is high.  

Front – three mics, not four. Makes for better blends.
Bruce has own Mic on organ
Al shares a mic between Bruce and Carl
Vocal mics are condenser types – technical explanation for preference in Part Two of my book, but note how even the pickup is and even good at a distance.

This particular concert used all 16 JBL speakers.

I did both the house mix and the monitor mix plus effects, which had to be changed (setup) during the show. Twenty input console – details in Part Two of my book.  

Darlin’

First song.  Mix comes together within three bars or about 10 seconds

Note that all the words can be heard and understood

Background Vocals are all audible and in balance with the horns and organ

Drums are not overbearing

Wouldn’t it be Nice

By the time of this second song, mix is well developed. Vocal blend good and sax parts are well balanced

Sound of toms and snare now better balance

California Girls

Mike’s vocal is out front from backgrounds and all words understandable

Daryl Dragan on Organ.  Bruce on Bass, which is now in proper balance

I Can Hear Music

Carl’s vocal is up front and well in front of BG’s except when the group sings

Drums are driving the beat, as they should

Horns are just in the mix

In Vamp, Michael’s part is brought up – important part of harmony

Piano can be heard where needed

Medley

Organ supports opening harmony of Vocals

Carter on Bass, Bruce on Organ, Daryl on Piano

Bass and kick switch elevation in mix to push beat

I Get Around

Horn section supports choruses

Sloop John B

Carl’s and Mike’s solo doubled using Phillips tape delay

Horn support with Flute out front

Do It Again

Michael talks longer than normal (prearranged) giving me extra time to set up for drum effect.

Note use of Phillips unit to produce Drum effect LIVE and Dennis love’s it

In second verse effect backs off to regular drum sound

Missed Mike cue while dealing with Phillips unit for next effect

Piano brought up to push beat along with organ

Breakaway

New song for concert

First or second time mixing in concert

Mike counter part up in mix

Ending put into tape echo

Nearest Faraway Place

Piano Solo, Acoustic Piano with lid up!  Not normal in a concert mix.

Ending put into reverb, as on record

Cottonfields

Alan’s vocal starts in deep reverb and comes out by second round – as on record

Organ support

Drums up to drive beat.

Horn section supplies BG harmony

Barbara Ann

Al up in mix

Opp’s lost control of Bass for a moment

Piano 8th note support from Daryl

God Only Knows

Horn intro  (real horns)

Slap echo on snare

Good balance between vocals and horns

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring (a copula)

No feedback despite distance from microphone

Good Vibrations

Unfortunately the video ends before this song can start.

In this part of the show Michael throws a spell onto the audience
While I make an enormous bass feedback effect.

Too bad you can’t hear this song. Slap echo was created and made at correct place.

To my ears, the vocal and instrumental performances by every group member are right on. Whether singing lead, background, while playing an instrument, every note is on key, every cue is on time, and the show has a spontaneity that makes it unique, yet a continuity that makes it professional. Dennis’ timing is perfect, which pulls the whole show together. Show after show was like this. I’ve mixed nearly a thousand performances and can say that these guys never disappointed their audiences.

Thanks for Listening,  Stephen W. Desper

Parts 1-2-3-4-5 >>> https://youtu.be/USe4ZI8rHsI

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:23:28 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 01:27:51 PM »

Well. Blow me down. This is outstanding. I think I've seen some bits but not this much of this gig before but this time it just moves me so much. I'm posting this mid-gig (and have paused to watch the outtsnading performances on the BBC Young Musician of the Year Award; currently playing Stella by Starlight!). Great accompanying notes boost the experience. As does the Dalwhinnie.

Coming after so much strife and negativity on his board this brings it all back to the music, where it counts, where it belongs.

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 01:32:45 PM »

My first time seeing them live was about a month and a half after this show. I was very impressed with the whole show, but really took notice to both Carl and Bruce. They both really shined bright for this show.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 01:37:09 PM »

That was great to watch. Carl's vocal on God Only Knows is maybe better than the recording. Beautiful. Thanks.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:19:12 PM »

The whole concert, including "Good Vibrations" and an encore of "Johnny B. Goode" with Paul Revere & The Raiders is available to purchase and download through the French National Audiovisual Institute's website.  I downloaded it myself a little over a year ago. http://www.ina.fr/video/I08024996

It's a great document of where the live band was at the time, warts and all.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:31:06 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 02:45:19 PM »

Fascinating stuff Stephen!  When I first heard Mike before Do It Again I thought it was Mike being Mike.  Now I know the reason!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 02:47:51 PM »

Interesting that Murry was in the audience.  What was Murry Wilson doing in Paris in 1969?

chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 03:33:29 PM »

gotta say... dennis is sounding pretty great in this show.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 07:05:41 PM »

Carl looks so COOL during this era.  I want his hair!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 02:50:20 AM »

It's great to see the band so engaged in this performance, both vocally and instrumentally.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 03:39:40 AM »

i've seen all 5 parts about 4+ years ago, as it's been surfacing online for many years. A great show and thanks for the interesting info Stephen! I like Mike Loves backing vox on Darlin.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 04:49:29 AM »

Excellent concert with God Only Knows as the highlight.  And the "orchestra" adds some oomph to Barbara Ann.

BTW Stephen that's not Deirdre it's The Nearest Faraway Place from 20/20 - as I'm sure you know!
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 06:55:27 AM »

gotta say... dennis is sounding pretty great in this show.

That's the first thing that struck me. Dennis' best live drumming was probably 1969 & the Brian is Back / 15 Big Ones era.  Thanks Stephen!  Loved reading your notes. Great insight.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »

This is great, Stephen - thanks for sharing!
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »

The French audience got their money's worth and then some!  Bruce plays some fine piano on "Nearest Faraway Place."  "Pompidou" (in "Barbara Ann") was the new President of France, Georges Pompidou, who took office 20 June 1969.  He'd been Prime Minister 1962-8.  More about him from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Pompidou

What was with Mike and his weird noises?

I like the white suits the BBs (except Mike) wore.  I don't know why they were criticized for those.

Edited because I didn't mean to say "Bruce play some fine piano"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:20:59 PM by mojoman3061 » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 11:28:45 AM »

Who is the guy stage right in the tie banging a tambourine?  Was he the "orchestra" conductor?
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 02:52:17 PM »

Who is the guy stage right in the tie banging a tambourine?  Was he the "orchestra" conductor?

COMMENT:  Back then there was no such thing as an "Orchestra Conductor" or Musical Director."  These are titles used in the 21st century. The guy on the right banging the tambourine is the tambourine player, the official percussionist who's only instrument is a tambourine. I think he also took care of all the horn-section instruments -- moving them about, checking them into and out of hotels and airports. During that time, the "British side-men" hired for this tour booked themselves into their own hotels and such. American Productions only dealt with the Beach Boys and their crew of Dragon, Carter, and myself. Everyone stayed in the same class of hotel and flew at the same class as the Beach Boys, usually first-class airline and first-class hotel accommodations. The English hired band had the obligation to show up for each gig, but otherwise booked their own air flights and housing.

I can tell you this, it was a happy time. The band (BB) was in great spirits, high creativity, high performance values, it was a joyous time to travel. None of the bull-sh*t you have today. As you can sense from the video, the band was having fun on stage, I was enjoying myself immensely -- wouldn't you? Mixing the best band in the world every night -- LIVE -- for enthusiastic audiences --- in a different great hall in Europe. it was a fabulous time. I am so blessed. God is good. 
  ~swd   
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 06:19:15 PM »

Initial thoughts: mix sounds great, very balanced, particularly in light of the low video quality (you usually see the opposite on youtube). Thank you for sharing and the insightful comments Mr. D.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 09:59:50 PM »

Mr. Desper, did you also do sound for Paul Revere and the Raiders on this tour? Myself and several friends are huge fans of theirs and starved for any little tidbit of information about this time in their career.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 11:31:36 PM »

What a great concert! Thank you, Stephen, for posting your mixer's notes.

Also, thanks to Rocky Raccoon for the link to the French National Audiovisual Institute's site - it's easily worth 3.99 Euros for the download of the entire non-stop concert, including Good Vibes and Johnny B. Goode, not to mention the somewhat better video quality.

Stephen, you mentioned that this concert used all 16 JBL speakers. Were these speakers actually transported from gig to gig? What models? Do you, (or anyone else reading this) know when Mike started and subsequently stopped wearing the "guru" robe outfit? Did he completely give up on his white suit, making this his typical concert attire during this period?

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 05:22:11 AM »

If you are going to order from INA-FR make damn sure you can speak French and DO NOT order until you have created an account. I ordered this and filled out all the automated account creation sections during the order process, and discovered my order is not in my account despite getting a confirmation email. Not something you like when your french is cursory.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:26:45 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 06:39:24 AM »

What a great concert! Thank you, Stephen, for posting your mixer's notes.

Also, thanks to Rocky Raccoon for the link to the French National Audiovisual Institute's site - it's easily worth 3.99 Euros for the download of the entire non-stop concert, including Good Vibes and Johnny B. Goode, not to mention the somewhat better video quality.

Stephen, you mentioned that this concert used all 16 JBL speakers. Were these speakers actually transported from gig to gig? What models? Do you, (or anyone else reading this) know when Mike started and subsequently stopped wearing the "guru" robe outfit? Did he completely give up on his white suit, making this his typical concert attire during this period?

COMMENT to Custom Machine:  The system including the speakers is addressed in Part Two of my book Recording The Beach Boys. I keep saying it will be out soon and something gets in the way. Now it's getting ready for hurricane season here in Florida, but all 168 pages are complete and being proof read as time allows. 
   I can't give you exact dates as to when Michael used the robe on stage, but this concert was in June of '69 and he wore the robe for the entire tour. Everyone, including Mike, was fitted for the white suits (two each) that were custom made for each member. They also had white crushed velvet matching suits for colder climates. Mike had several robes made, which he carried on the road and wore off-stage as well. He was rather easy to spot in an airport. As I recall, he went back to street clothes and a cap on the next tour.
~swd
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 08:01:52 AM »

Thanks for this footage. It erased any doubts in my mind that the guys could play their own instruments and put on a flawless show. I really dug watching all of them, sorry Dennis was not in 'sight' so much. Kudos to Bruce on the keyboards and bass...great to see.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 09:00:55 AM »

If you are going to order from INA-FR make damn sure you can speak French and DO NOT order until you have created an account. I ordered this and filled out all the automated account creation sections during the order process, and discovered my order is not in my account despite getting a confirmation email. Not something you like when your french is cursory.

For those curious, I got the same results as above. I even went ahead and started an account *first*, and then placed the order. "It's only about $4.50 US, how can I lose?" Between my rusty French and Google translator, the checkout process and everything seemed normal and totally made sense. It's just that after you place the order, your order simply doesn't appear where it should (or anywhere else) to download.

I've put in an email to them, we'll see what happens. I would advise other folks against purchasing until they iron this issue out. Hopefully the tech support people can fix the issue. I'm sure it's a super easy fix for them, it's just a matter of whether they can process my English e-mail and whether their tech folks actually respond to issues like this in any sort of timely manner.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »

OK the problem was solved, and I managed to access the file to view it. Outstanding concert and fantastic quality!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx