gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:10:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello from a new member!  (Read 4661 times)
Bardley
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2016, 07:19:26 PM »

Hi all, I’m Bardley. After lurking the board for a few weeks, I decided to make an account and join! I’m looking forward to joining the discussion here.

I’m a newer fan of the Beach Boys, only listening to them intently a little over a year ago. Growing up, I was more of a Beatles/classic rock fan. Not that I actively disliked the Beach Boys, but I just didn’t give them much thought. While snowed in my apartment at college last year, I came across the story of SMiLE and wanted to listen to the mythical unreleased album I previously had heard nothing about. I was hooked after the first listening and quickly ordered copies of The SMiLE Sessions and Pet Sounds, listening to both on repeat for months. I loved the intricate vocal harmonies that seemed otherworldly in their beauty and the sincerity behind the lyrics of Pet Sounds.

For a band that has been around for half a century, I knew next to nothing about them, of how the band had transitioned from surf rock into the experimentation of SMiLE, or what exactly they did after the project collapsed. Love & Mercy hit theaters right around the time I really became interested in the band and Brian Wilson and I absolutely loved it. Since then, I’ve been slowly moving through their catalog and really enjoying it.

At the moment, I would say that my five favorite Beach Boys albums are:
1. Pet Sounds
2. SMiLE/The SMiLE Sessions
3. Sunflower
4. Friends
5. The Beach Boys Today!

Around the time I started listening intently to the band, I began toying around with music in my spare time and working on vocal covers. I recently created a Sound Cloud account and have added some music at https://soundcloud.com/bardley-723912877. I performed a vocal cover of “Surfer Girl,” doing each of the parts myself as a first test for myself in recording multiple vocal parts. A few months ago, I covered “God Only Knows” in the barbershop quartet arrangement featured in Bioshock: Infinite, performing each part myself. I recently finished a cover of “A Day in the Life of a Tree,” doing all the instrumentation myself.  I’d love to hear your thoughts and feedback!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 08:41:53 PM »

Welcome to the club!  Cheesy Great cover as well!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:43:41 PM by BachelorsDegreeInBullets » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 04:53:28 AM »

Welcome, sir. I'm sure you'll find plenty to get your teeth into round here. 

Soundcloud doesn't work for me on my current browser so I'll get things set up to give your tracks a listen tonight. :=) 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 06:35:13 AM »

Welcome! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 06:43:15 AM »

Hi all,

Hi and welcome!!!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 02:33:26 AM »

I like the minimalist approach to "Tree". I assume you know there's a subforum for music-making Smiley Smilers...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
bluesno1fann
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 07:04:17 PM »

Welcome, hope you enjoy it around here!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 08:19:25 PM »

welcome and good luck!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print