gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:44:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your spending limit for a BB rarity?  (Read 10128 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2016, 07:08:49 AM »

What is the most you would pay/have paid for a BB rarity? I am thinking mainly of records or CD's here. I've eyed a certain BB-related 2 CD set, Japan only, which I cannot divulge right now, but I am baulking at the $159 asking price. Add postage and import duty, that's some serious coin. I have never paid that much for any recording, although there are several other CD's that I am keen on in that price range. Perhaps you would share with me your own experiences, how much, the reason for your purchase, and whether it was worth it to you. I'd appreciate any input before I take the plunge.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 08:20:09 AM »

I think I wound up spending $95 on the MiC boxset just to get a few rarities. 

Also, I spent $25-$30 or so to get the full Japanese Brian Wilson - Live at the Roxy with ALL of the bonus tracks. 
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 08:36:52 AM »

Also, I spent $25-$30 or so to get the full Japanese Brian Wilson - Live at the Roxy with ALL of the bonus tracks. 

I too waited too long for the MiC box and ended up paying a premium, but at least we got six CD's and a lavish "yearbook" style package.  $159 or more likely, $200, for a 2 CD set that is mainly of historical interest, it's hard to decide. That's $200 I can't spend on other things. But it would be the jewel in the crown. The upside of such a steep price is that the item will probably just sit there, unsold, until I make up my mind!  Cheesy
KDS
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:39:03 AM »

I too waited too long for the MiC box and ended up paying a premium, but at least we got six CD's and a lavish "yearbook" style package.  $159 or more likely, $200, for a 2 CD set that is mainly of historical interest, it's hard to decide. That's $200 I can't spend on other things. But it would be the jewel in the crown. The upside of such a steep price is that the item will probably just sit there, unsold, until I make up my mind!  Cheesy

If I were you, I'd shop around a little more.  Maybe a quick Google search of the item you're looking at. 

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 08:55:30 AM »

I paid $9 for a Friends/Little Bird promo 45. Considering their (relative) scarcity, $9 was probably a steal. I wouldn't have paid more, that's for sure.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 09:06:42 AM »

$60 dollars for a 1960s BBs deluxe set of today, summer days, and pet sounds. (Original pressings in mono!)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 09:07:47 AM »

If I were you, I'd shop around a little more.  Maybe a quick Google search of the item you're looking at. 

Well, I've seen it at a MUCH higher price...
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 09:10:21 AM »

I paid $9 for a Friends/Little Bird promo 45. Considering their (relative) scarcity, $9 was probably a steal. I wouldn't have paid more, that's for sure.

One thing I feel is that promos and legit releases should always be worth more than boots. I saw The Wilson Project boot (w Gary Usher) for $100, and it's sold now. A similar Japanese boot was advertised at 3,500 yen, appx 35 dollars.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 09:11:04 AM »

$60 dollars for a 1960s BBs deluxe set of today, summer days, and pet sounds. (Original pressings in mono!)

You did well!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 09:17:57 AM »

Thanks it was worth every penny.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 09:18:59 AM »

You did well!

I disagree, I think you overpaid by quite a bit for that. There are currently 7 on sale on Amazon Marketplace, price ranging from $15-30. I paid $20 for mine a few years ago, at a local record store. It's a cool item, but the sound is not particularly good.

The most I've ever spent on a Beach Boys related record was $60 for my NM copy of Spring. I wouldn't normally drop that much on one record, but the condition was too good, and I'm fairly confident I could get more than that out of it if I sold it.
KDS
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »

I would probably overpay for a pro shot DVD, or a soundboard CD, of the Royal Albert Hall show from September 2012. 

Or a copy of either the C50 show I attended or the NPP show I attended last year. 

It's too bad Brian didn't do the "legal bootleg" thing that Pearl Jam, The Who, Bad Company, and John Fogerty have done in the past where you can purchase a CD or a download for any show on the recent tour. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 09:37:27 AM »

It would have been amazing if Brian did that during his major touring heyday from 1999-2004. Sure, the audience tapes were plentiful and the occasional soundboard leaked out, but there might have been a small market among dedicated fans who wanted to get a copy of their show, or even all of the shows.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

KDS
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 09:41:03 AM »

It would have been amazing if Brian did that during his major touring heyday from 1999-2004. Sure, the audience tapes were plentiful and the occasional soundboard leaked out, but there might have been a small market among dedicated fans who wanted to get a copy of their show, or even all of the shows.

It's too bad that Brian doesn't put out as much live product as most legacy artists.  Seems like McCartney, The Stones, Iron Maiden, Rush, Judas Priest, The Who, etc have been putting out some kind of live document (be it CD or DVD) from every tour they've done in the 2000s.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »

Probably the lack of a mainstream market for such stuff. We're the only types who'd ever buy it. And given how many "fans" complained about the On Tour DVD ("BRIAN, SUCH LANGUAGE! WHY MUST YOU CURSE WHILE MY KIDS WATCH YOUR DVD?!?" - no bullshit, people really bellyached on the blueboard about Brian's baaaaaad words) I doubt we'll see much more.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 10:29:52 AM »

I think the most (disproportionately) I ever spent was probably about $40 on The Many Moods of Murry Wilson. I justified it by also buying a mono Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones., Ltd for a quarter in the same purchase.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 11:08:26 AM »

Probably the lack of a mainstream market for such stuff. We're the only types who'd ever buy it. And given how many "fans" complained about the On Tour DVD ("BRIAN, SUCH LANGUAGE! WHY MUST YOU CURSE WHILE MY KIDS WATCH YOUR DVD?!?" - no bullshit, people really bellyached on the blueboard about Brian's baaaaaad words) I doubt we'll see much more.
Brian is the man! Afro

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 11:11:48 AM »

You did well!

I disagree, I think you overpaid by quite a bit for that. There are currently 7 on sale on Amazon Marketplace, price ranging from $15-30. I paid $20 for mine a few years ago, at a local record store. It's a cool item, but the sound is not particularly good.

The most I've ever spent on a Beach Boys related record was $60 for my NM copy of Spring. I wouldn't normally drop that much on one record, but the condition was too good, and I'm fairly confident I could get more than that out of it if I sold it.
Maybe, but it was a price to pay to avoid getting a bad duophonic copy from a Amazon seller that didn't know better. But you really scored with that "spring" record! Could you needle drop it for us? Cool

KDS
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 11:30:25 AM »

Seriously? 

I haven't picked up that DVD.  What did he say if I might ask? 
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 12:03:37 PM »

I know I paid, well our executive procedure for my dads band paid £90 for an original "Friends" on mono (mint) for us some years back.

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 12:04:41 PM »

But 70-100 I would say being the box sets and other stuff I've purchased over the years.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 12:29:33 PM »

Seriously? 

He casually and conversationally dropped an F-bomb at one point.

As for other DVDs not coming out...yeah, that pretty much ruined it. Except for Pet Sounds Live. And Smile. And Soundstage. And...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
KDS
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 12:33:04 PM »

Seriously? 

He casually and conversationally dropped an F-bomb at one point.

As for other DVDs not coming out...yeah, that pretty much ruined it. Except for Pet Sounds Live. And Smile. And Soundstage. And...

He said "f**k" once?  Oh, the horror. 

The people who complained about that should check out my Kix - Live in Baltimore DVD. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 12:36:44 PM »

The bluebeard is populated by rather pantywaisted losers who are triggered by baaaaad words.

KDS
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 12:40:03 PM »

The bluebeard is populated by rather pantywaisted losers who are triggered by baaaaad words.

Maybe that's their "safe space."

Heck even McCartney dropped an F-bomb......and it was on a song. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zECFZLc2wU
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx