-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The Sandbox Rocks!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Sandbox Rocks!  (Read 5527 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2016, 01:24:11 AM »

Yesterday an irate poster described the Sandbox as a place where the topics are dead and/or buried. I find that more than a little insulting to those members, many of them of above-average intelligence, who come here to post on and discuss all manner of non-musical subjects. Shame on you, sir!   

On a positive note: I do like Billy's idea of a special section for "off-topic on-topic" posts. Something to look forward to...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 01:34:13 AM »

Perhaps the "dead" bit may be taken as a little over the top, but the "buried" bit has some merit.

For example, you for one asked for the topic to be moved to the sandbox, so it wouldn't be visible to your specific way of browsing the board; which is kinda burying it - from a certain point of view.  Just sayin'! I harbour no ill feelings about it.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 02:38:06 AM »

Perhaps the "dead" bit may be taken as a little over the top, but the "buried" bit has some merit.

For example, you for one asked for the topic to be moved to the sandbox, so it wouldn't be visible to your specific way of browsing the board; which is kinda burying it - from a certain point of view.  Just sayin'! I harbour no ill feelings about it.

Kinda burying it... Fair play----I see where you're coming from. No hard feelings here either. ;=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 02:43:27 AM »

I think I was here about 7 years before I read anything in the Sandbox. Just never occurred to me to check it out.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 03:04:00 AM »

I think I was here about 7 years before I read anything in the Sandbox. Just never occurred to me to check it out.

Since I started using the "Unread Posts" feature, I've come to accept it as a valid and equally relevant part of Smiley. But as in all the subforums one has to pick and choose. And like Brian's sandbox, there's a real risk of stepping in dogshit. Grin

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 03:43:36 AM »

It's kinda good here but I like the general music corner. I don't check the politics/economics/religion/philosophy threads, to me it's very boring subjects plus I can't talk about them due to lack of knowledge/ terminology. As they say, got nothing to say - buzz off!

Addition to boring topics list: alco/cigar/drugs etc. discussion as I don't know the names and going thru name-checking is pain in the neck. plus I ain't sports fan, soccer/basketball/golf etc. unless we chat air hockey.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:15:48 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 05:29:10 AM »

It's kinda good here but I like the general music corner. I don't check the politics/economics/religion/philosophy threads, to me it's very boring subjects plus I can't talk about them due to lack of knowledge/ terminology. As they say, got nothing to say - buzz off!

Addition to boring topics list: alco/cigar/drugs etc. discussion as I don't know the names and going thru name-checking is pain in the neck. plus I ain't sports fan, soccer/basketball/golf etc. unless we chat air hockey.

Know what you mean about most of those topics. They are either way over my head or just don't grab me. But then you've got Swedish Frog/Mendota Heights's running topic, "What are you reading?", and of course threads started by people who say they're leaving and are still here... And Bubs launched two great topics recently. So there are enough goodies to be found. :=) 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 07:15:12 AM »

As I said, threads about drinking don't interest me. usually, I see the title and maybe read the 1st post to get what the thread's about. If it's boring, I don't check it again.

Yes, people who say they leave, then stay, then leave, then at the last minute stay - this gets to be running gag.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »

It's an off-topic subforum. Just about every forum has one. There's no problem with it. Some posters are just content to complain about a part of the board they're not obligated to participate in by any means. Besides, it's good to have the Sandbox on here - it lets us know just how full of sh*t our fellow members are in the political threads! LOL

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 11:30:39 PM »

- &  R u l e s !!

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 02:05:49 AM »

This is the classic example of a relevant Beach Boys thread that was "sandboxed": http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13931.0.html

Please delete my account
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 04:41:34 AM »

- &  R u l e s !!

Thinks: I wonder if Ognir Rrats understood this...

This is the classic example of a relevant Beach Boys thread that was "sandboxed": http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13931.0.html

Relevant is evidently a relative concept. The first page made most interesting reading! Makes one wonder exactly when it got itself sandboxed...   

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 01:15:02 PM »

My problem with the Sandbox is that the little "new" buttons next to the topics never take me to the "new," unread posts in their respective topics. It always drops me right on page 1 of the thread in question. Never happens in the On Topic Discussion forum. Anyone else have this problem?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 02:49:38 PM »

My problem with the Sandbox is that the little "new" buttons next to the topics never take me to the "new," unread posts in their respective topics. It always drops me right on page 1 of the thread in question. Never happens in the On Topic Discussion forum. Anyone else have this problem?

Mr. DirtyFeet, do you mean the hexagon with downward-pointing arrow in the "last post" section? If not, where exactly is this little "new" button of which you speak?

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 02:53:04 PM »

Nope, doesn't work for me either.
Also, when you hit "preview" before you post something, it's just presents you with black text on a black background. which is not helpful
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 02:57:43 PM »

Also, when you hit "preview" before you post something, it's just presents you with black text on a black background. which is not helpful
I usually highlight the post to see what it will look like.

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 04:12:32 AM »

I need to spend more time in TSB!  Cool Guy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: