gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680971 Posts in 27624 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 03:03:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A petition for Mike to include THAT'S NOT ME  (Read 7140 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 04:32:59 AM »

Yep, Mike should do a Pet Sounds trilogy: That's Not Me, I Know There's An Answer and Here Today. Would be very cool indeed...
Word  Rock!

a trilogy would be good, but who would do Al's part in 'IKTAA?'
That's the question. As the poster below said, Mike sang only 1st line. Al - high notes sans falsetto. Mike's vocal is low, i.e. he can hit it now just fine. Either we have long-time fans who still don't know it or they mix it up with Here Today (Mike does sing high there).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 05:25:32 AM »

I would LOVE to hear That's Not Me live! Mike's vocal is great on that song.

Mike started doing All I Wanna Do, but stopped, and I wish he would continue playing it. I think that's his greatest moment as a singer/songwriter.
KDS
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 05:35:52 AM »

Yep, Mike should do a Pet Sounds trilogy: That's Not Me, I Know There's An Answer and Here Today. Would be very cool indeed...
Word  Rock!

a trilogy would be good, but who would do Al's part in 'IKTAA?'
That's the question. As the poster below said, Mike sang only 1st line. Al - high notes sans falsetto. Mike's vocal is low, i.e. he can hit it now just fine. Either we have long-time fans who still don't know it or they mix it up with Here Today (Mike does sing high there).

I would think John Cowsill would handle Al's IKTAA vocal. 
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 07:17:16 AM »

They played Here Today last night in Rockford, IL and it was great. They also added Caroline, No. That's Not Me may be a bit too high for Mike to sing these days, but I could be wrong.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
KDS
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 07:21:16 AM »

They played Here Today last night in Rockford, IL and it was great. They also added Caroline, No. That's Not Me may be a bit too high for Mike to sing these days, but I could be wrong.

I heard Here Today and Caroline No got added on a few recent shows. 

I think Mike could change the register of That's Not Me a little, or maybe get an assist from Jeff, Scott, or Brian E. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2016, 07:21:47 AM »

You mean his part in the song? Doesn't he only sing the first line of each verse?

Yeah, I meant his part.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 07:30:50 AM »

some seem to think Mike sings the whole vocal part of this song.  He don't.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2016, 07:40:34 AM »

You mean his part in the song? Doesn't he only sing the first line of each verse?

Yeah, I meant his part.
Bizarre - you said you don't know if Mike can still hit the notes there  when that 1st line is sung low. If he did "Here Today", IKTAA should be easy.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2016, 07:46:39 AM »

Yes and it's weird. The crucial bits are Al's, John Cowsill is bad idea to take the lead. I know you're all fans but I can't stand his voice. He said he sings like Kermit the frog - I agree.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2016, 07:47:02 AM »

Range is onto it, it's quite a low and a simple part, I can't see him doin Al that's all.  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:47:33 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
KDS
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2016, 08:12:53 AM »

Yes and it's weird. The crucial bits are Al's, John Cowsill is bad idea to take the lead. I know you're all fans but I can't stand his voice. He said he sings like Kermit the frog - I agree.

I like Cowsill's vox on Help Me Rhonda and California Dreaming. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2016, 08:19:38 AM »

He was godawful on WH and HMR. Didn't hear Cali Dreamin'.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »

Mike did "Here Today" as early as 2001 (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2001/lsu-assembly-center-baton-rouge-la-1bddc5d0.html). I think he was also often adding it when the band was occasionally accompanied by a symphony. There are a number of 2007/08/09 examples as well.

"Here Today", "You Still Believe In Me", and "Caroline, No" have all been occasional PS additions to Mike's setlist beyond the core three PS songs. (The latter two always sung by sidemen; indeed out of the six PS songs Mike has done, he only takes the lead on about 1 1/2 of them, singing "Here Today" and of course parts of WIBN and SJB).

Mike did "Surf's Up" last year (well, his band did it, he obviously didn't sing it), so I don't think anything is impossible. I think it would be weird and a bad idea for him to have a sideman sing something like "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times", but you never know.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:30:19 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »

Have the BBs done I'm Waiting For The Day?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »

Just the 1975 performances of "I'm Waiting for the Day" with Billy Hinsche on lead.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2016, 08:04:57 AM »

Wow, sounded like a great show. Hope they bust it out again next time they're in Illinois.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2016, 09:50:56 AM »

Actually of course I do know that Mike sings only a small portion of IKTAA, but clearly they could arrange to have someone else sing Al's part, giving Mike plenty of time to get ready for his "oo be do be do" tag.  Smokin

Clearly there have been so many vocal switch-offs in live performance (Al used to sing lead on "H&V" live, just to cite one example) that we don't have to cling to the recorded versions of the song? I just think Mike would be taking another big step toward a real and not somewhat manufactured stance of "positivity" if he would honor Pet Sounds in a way that also happened to highlight the songs that his voice is most prominently a part of. Sort of a win-win for everyone, y'know??

(I know, not the usual BBs "scorched earth" scenario. But we can still dream, can't we...)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2016, 12:49:15 PM »

That's Not Me is one of my all-time favorite songs by anyone. I hate that it's been so overlooked by the touring group. Mike should definitely play it. and then retire for good.

but... that's not M.E.

I'd be glad to design a photoshop for the cause if you think it will help, Autotune.  Wink
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2016, 10:42:24 AM »

Mike mentioned on Facebook, after having already done "Here Today" and "You Still Believe In Me" (and "Caroline, No" I think) in addition to the 3 PS songs he always does, that they would be adding more PS songs to the setlist. So unless he really intends to really start doing a "Mostly the Backing Band Presents Pet Sounds" shows and do even *more* PS songs with Foskett or Eichenberger taking the lead, I would have to guess "That's Not Me" is the most likely candidate.

As I mentioned before, Mike has done “Surf’s Up” and “’Til I Die”, so I don’t think much of *any* song is really off limits at that stage. I just don’t think that when fans complained years ago that Mike’s setlist was stale, they really mean they wanted to see Mike do swaths of Brian-centric songs with backing guys doing the leads. It’s not even as if the “keeping the music alive” argument applies here; Brian is doing nearly 90 concerts this year doing the entire PS album.

I think Mike should stick more to songs he originally sang when he’s digging into the “deep cuts.” And PS is a minefield of *other* guys having to sing the leads. It makes sense, Brian sang a ton of leads on that originally. But, especially with Brian out there touring (and Mike having rejected working with Brian a few years ago), I think it would make more sense for Mike to do “Here Today”, “That’s Not Me”, and then start doing other Mike-centric stuff (“All I Wanna Do”, maybe dig out “Big Sur” or even “He Come Down” or something) instead of doing half or more of the “Pet Sounds” album with other guys singing the lead.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:48:20 AM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx