gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:02:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Does Emo sucketh OR does it rule our collective asses!
Emo Sucks!
Emo Rules!
What's Emo?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Emo Speaks to me.....No, it SUCKS it hard  (Read 11750 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2006, 09:43:22 PM »

I hate Emo. I like Weezer's first album, but I still HATE "emotional rock." It's kind of like someone took rock music and had it neutered. It's not even evil enough to be the death of rock n' roll, it's just evil enough to be the definition of lame.

Yet, it does have a strong following. Kind of like disco. Only disco doesn't suck as bad.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 09:50:05 PM by Mike Lovestein » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »

i was the what's emo...i know what it is...but i have hard time deciding if i like it or not. my friends are in an emo band, so i dont wanna say they suck...but emo is highly underated in my community among the teen crowd...it's just teens crying out with their acoustics over papercuts, past/present girlfriends, etc.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 10:16:45 PM »

Congratulations! You guys each have won a portable model of Joan of Arc!

Really, "emo" has got to be THE stupidest label for music yet. Forget who first said it, but, "Calling music 'emotional' is like saying water is wet."

I like a couple of bands who've been branded "emo," I guess, but then I once found Jeff Buckley albums in the emo section of a lame-ass record store. Weezer's "Pinkerton" has been hailed as the definitive emo album, yet I still can't bring myself to hate it; it's been a longtime favorite of mine.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 10:51:46 PM »

It sucks harder than a foda Hoover factory.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 12:21:39 AM »

Weezer being branded as 'emo' is the stupidest thing ever.  The Blue Album and Pinkerton are not 'emo' they are straight up rock and roll...imo.

A Portable Model Of is my favorite Joan of Arc album, they ahve so many good ones but that one tops all of them. Caliban is pure brilliance. I love The Owls lp too, and the new Make Believe stuff is great.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 12:39:47 AM »

For a minute I was hoping this was a thread about Emo Phillips! Oh well.
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 01:01:24 AM »

For a minute I thought there was a typo in the thread title

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 01:58:22 AM »

Ahh my car crazy cutie, that's what I thought it said too...

The thing I don't get about this emo genre, is that all the vocalists sound like a 21st Century Mike Love...  they sh*t me up the wall, but Mike doesn't.  I hate Mike if only for his wretched solo albums, and his inspiring a generation of kids to sing like him.

Other than that... he's a swell guy.

...And so we enter, end game.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 02:46:03 AM »

I hate nearly all popular music of the past three or four years...

For example, just looking at my iTunes at all the albums I have from 2005, it's Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill Acoustic, Brian's Christmas album, a song written by the guy that was on the Robert Blake trial, a Beach Boys cover album, and some local stuff.

Emo is dominating the market, and I hate it. Not just normal acoustic "my girlfriend broke up with me" emo, but all the other forms of music that are becoming emo-influenced. Sad* shít.

*no pun intended

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 06:35:23 AM »

I like good music and dislike bad. After that, I try not to worry too much about what to call it, and I don't think I've come across a genre (or subgrnre, or sub-subgenre, etc) that's entirely one or the other.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 08:16:59 AM »

What the hell is Pet Sounds then?

Half of those songs you could perform on acoustic and sound just like those bands.

Oh but Pet Sounds appeals to us more, makes us feel it.

Guess what? All these stupid teenage girls ALSO get into their emo music and feel it.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jason
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 08:21:55 AM »

Isn't all music inherently emotional? Isn't there always feeling behind the music? Emo's just a tag that's been put on a few dozen bands.

I dare anyone here to listen to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue and tell me there isn't an abundance of emotion in that music.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 08:28:21 AM »

I dare anyone here to listen to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue and tell me there isn't an abundance of emotion in that music.

Or, for that matter, the entire Romantic movement in music--the bulk of the European "serious" music of the 1800s was largely based on blatantly displayed emotion.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 08:30:16 AM »

Exactly so for anyone to dismiss all these new bands as "emo", you're just insulting yourself with it.

I don't know what those bands are.

I guess you're talking about stuff like Dashboard Confessional?

I think they are the result of uncreative, sad people who decided to make music.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 08:32:13 AM »

I want one of these bands to cover "I'm Waiting For The Day" and "That's Not Me" for us and release it.

Though their lyrics are generally no way near Asher's.

Jason
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 08:33:28 AM »

All music, Luther, has "blatantly displayed emotion".

Hello, Elvis fucking Presley? The man only sounded otherworldly when he sang gospel music with such emotion.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 08:58:39 AM »

I don't find that to be correct. I can't hear the emotion in some of the early days of synth-based pop. When a band sounds as if it's going through the motions, I don't hear emotion. I don't hear emotion in some electronica.

More than that, I don't hear emotion in music that is too obviously constructed to pull on your heartstrings. For example, when I hear a Celine Dion or Christina Aguilera ballad, it sounds to me like alien scientists watching from above measured each little ingredient and mixed them just so, knowing "this sort of thing makes humans feel [sad/inspired/hopeful/whatever]."

That isn't emotion.

Jason
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 09:01:24 AM »

There's emotion in everything inherently human. Maybe it's apathy, that's an emotion too.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 09:26:23 AM »

There has to be emotion in some aspect of anything human. But a computer, for example, doesn't express emotion, even though it may carry the idea of a human's emotion to others so that it can be experienced. And re-read what I was saying originally: blatant display of emotion. That isn't the same thing. Overtly emotional and having emotion in some aspect aren't the same thing.

By the way, not to be too specific or anything, but apathy isn't an emotion. In fact, Merriam-Webster defines it as:

1 : lack of feeling or emotion

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 04:38:12 PM »

Buy them some razor blades!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 05:03:06 PM »

Buy them some razor blades!

That's a sh!+ty thing to say.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 05:05:07 PM »

These suburban creeps spouting their soft-sell misery deserve a punch. Hard. Then their privileged whiny asses would know what pain is all about. I nominate myself for the duty.

LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 05:06:10 PM »

These suburban creeps spouting their soft-sell misery deserve a punch. Hard. Then their privileged whiny asses would know what pain is all about. I nominate myself for the duty.
Can I be your assistant?

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 05:06:34 PM »

But nobody deserves a razor blade. Seriously, hyperbole or not, that's shitty. (whoops, that's going to be written as merda, I guess.)

I agree with the general idea, but the overgeneralization and the specifics of the post, nope.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 05:13:56 PM »

Can I be your assistant?

You got it. You hold them, I'll punch.

Luther, you're too nice of a guy.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx