-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:21:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all EAT today? + recipes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all EAT today? + recipes.  (Read 86242 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2016, 11:12:25 AM »

Oh I'd love to have some chili and what you are making sounds so delicious.
However it's still not chili eating weather here. The temperature will get up to around 25 degrees C (77 F) today.  Ridiculous.

We're planning for New Year's dinner now. Looks like we'll have pork loin, cornbread (if I can get my cast iron skillet back from a friend who borrowed it). And the crazy tradition that we MUST have black eyed peas and cabbage.

Have a craving for a Rueben sandwich, having seen it being mentioned on a cooking show earlier today. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately - that cooking show said a Rueben has around 1000 calories) they are not easy to find here

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2016, 05:24:21 PM »

Spoke to my next door neighbor and told him to let me know if they would like some chives and/or lemongrass - I've got lots of both.
He asked if I'd like some carrots and I said "sure". Went into his backyard and he pulled out some nice looking carrots. Then he asked if I wanted cauliflower and gave me a nice sized one.

Decided to make cauliflower soup. Sautéed onions, garlic, celery and the carrots. Then added the cauliflower with broth, parsley, tarragon, Basil, salt and pepper. Simmered that for 30 minutes. In another pan mixed butter with flour, then added milk and cream. Cooked that for a while then added it to the soup. After cooking for some more time turned off stove and stirred some sour cream in.
The soup was served with some nice, warm country bread I got at the store. It came out very well.
Put a good part of it in a container to bring to my neighbor and family.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »

Made some sort of homemade chowder with yellow onion, red potatoes, corn, and apple-sage (fake, Field Roast brand) sausage with a whole milk base. Threw some applewood smoked salt in there. I also baked "mock sourdough bread," which uses yoghurt instead of a sourdough starter.

Together, these items form an entirely homemade bread bowl. About to eat. Hopefully this is tasty.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2017, 03:42:14 AM »

Hopefully this is tasty.

Please let us know if it was. It looks very tasty (hi there, Mari).

Whenever I feel the urge to salivate I browse this topic. It works every time! LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2017, 10:39:18 PM »

Hopefully this is tasty.

Please let us know if it was. It looks very tasty (hi there, Mari).

Whenever I feel the urge to salivate I browse this topic. It works every time! LOL
Hi, John. I feel as if I've been pretty absent from the internet lately; good to see you around.

I think it was pretty tasty. The "sourdough" was only a tiiiiiiiiny bit sour, but the bread seemed to be extra soft in the middle due to the whole milk yoghurt I used. Until I figure out a sourdough starter, I think I'll stick with my reliable no-knead bread recipe.

Speaking of yeast breads, I'm thinking of making a big ol' batch of yeast dough and keeping it in the fridge. Whenever the desire to eat fresh garlic bread or dinner rolls hits, I'll be prepared.

Also, Josh & I made some lemon snowball cookies tonight. Again, I'll have to report back and let you know how they taste. Lemon desserts are so underrated.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2017, 03:57:48 AM »

Also, Josh & I made some lemon snowball cookies tonight. Again, I'll have to report back and let you know how they taste. Lemon desserts are so underrated.
This is cool! 3 things I like about that cookie: 1) citrus-based 2) egg-free 3) minimalistic. Thanks for the link & say how it was. Smiley

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2017, 06:28:59 PM »

This is cool! 3 things I like about that cookie: 1) citrus-based 2) egg-free 3) minimalistic. Thanks for the link & say how it was. Smiley
Yeah, they're pretty easy to make. And they came out quite tasty! They're soft and slightly crumbly and melt in your mouth.

I made some of that aforementioned no-knead yeast dough and made pull-apart garlic bread out of it. I roughly followed a handful of recipes to make this. This one in particular shows you the steps. I didn't use the same dough, and I sauteed minced garlic in butter and added a bunch of spices (more garlic, italian seasoning, salt, and pepper) for my butter mixture, and I baked everything in a cast iron pan.

Another tasty adventure. I'm hoping to make these soon. I made them once before, and I could not stop eating them.

There's also leftover dough, so a pizza might be in the works as well.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2017, 08:11:04 PM »

I modified a pre-existing recipe (the dark chocolate one I linked above, actually) and made some sort of cranberry oat cake. People think it's tasty, so maybe I'll post my recipe if anyone's interested.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2017, 06:14:08 AM »

I modified a pre-existing recipe (the dark chocolate one I linked above, actually) and made some sort of cranberry oat cake. People think it's tasty, so maybe I'll post my recipe if anyone's interested.

Oh yes, please do. You've got us intrigued!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2017, 02:27:52 PM »

All right. I use a scale when I cook/bake, as mass provides more accurate measurements (especially with flour) than using measuring cups.

Mari's Weird Modified Oat Cake

200g / 1.6 cups flour
130g / 1.5 cups oats (plus more for sprinkling)
7g / 1 tsp baking soda
5g / 1tsp salt
85g / 6 Tbsp butter
123g / 1/2 cup plain yogurt
150g / 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs OR
- 14g / 2 Tbsp flaxseed
- 4 Tbsp / 60 mL water
as much dried cranberries or dark chocolate chunks or other mix-ins as you want.
a splash of milk

1. Preheat oven to 350º F/ 177º C.
2. Combine dry ingredients—the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt—into one bowl.
3. if using egg: skip ahead to step 4. If using flaxseed, read on.
    3.a) Heat up the water and mix in the flaxseed; set aside until mixture thickens (think egg-like consistency)
4. Melt the butter and dissolve the brown sugar. Mix in the yogurt and eggs OR flaxseed replacement.
5. Combine dry and wet ingredients, as well as your mix-ins. The batter might come out thick. In this case, add a little bit of milk until the batter resembles quick-bread batter (e.g. banana bread).
6. Grease a 9”x13” (I think this will work; I used a standard cast iron pan when I made it). Pour the batter in, and sprinkle a handful of oats on top.
7. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with just a few crumbs.

note: I used Trader Joe's orange-flavored dried cranberries when I made this, but you could do anything. I think this recipe is better suited for dried fruit; the original is better for sweeter stuff like chocolate.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 02:29:13 PM by undercover-m » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2017, 11:57:09 PM »

i will never ever stop loving granola.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2017, 03:33:10 AM »

i will never ever stop loving granola.

Agreed! We always have some kind of muesli in the house but this week I discovered to my great joy that the new packet contained GRANOLA!!! Head Spin   

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2017, 11:48:52 PM »

I've been fighting off a lingering cold for the past week, and for some reason it's also causing me to eat less than I normally would. Regardless of this weird appetite loss, I made a delicious mix of pinto beans, yellow corn, Quorn crumbles, and sweet potato and put it all in a burrito with a freshly cooked tortilla (they sell raw tortillas in the refrigerated section that contain about 5 ingredients, as opposed to those filthy Mission ones that have sh*t in them) and salsa and guac. I'm full and I regret nothing.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »

Wow it's been a while since anyone posted recipes.

Made some cranberry orange muffins. Like the combination of sweetness (but not too sweet) with the tart berries.
With actual cold weather here and even talk of the "s" word for our area early tomorrow morning, I made a pot of split pea soup.

Looking at recipes I saw one for plum pudding. Contains currants and raisins, but, er, no plums.
Calls for among other things, a pound of suet. Think I'll pass!

Think I'll try making the oat cake (recipe above in this page).

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2017, 03:03:46 PM »

People usually keep secret the family & unique recipes they cooked up.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2017, 06:53:14 PM »

People usually keep secret the family & unique recipes they cooked up.

Thankfully, undercover-m doesn't have that hangup! Her oat cake recipe will work well for the holidays and looks to be a lot healthier as well.

Holding back ingredients in a recipe brings to mind an episode of the old TV program, The Dick Van Dyke Show. Laura Petrie shared her peanut butter and avocado dip recipe with her neighbor, but purposely left out the mustard in the directions.
(People have tried without success to make an edible dip with these ingredients. The writers of that episode just thought up those ingredients on the spot).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:54:55 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2018, 09:29:47 AM »

Wow it's been a while since anyone posted recipes.

Made some cranberry orange muffins. Like the combination of sweetness (but not too sweet) with the tart berries.
With actual cold weather here and even talk of the "s" word for our area early tomorrow morning, I made a pot of split pea soup.

Looking at recipes I saw one for plum pudding. Contains currants and raisins, but, er, no plums.
Calls for among other things, a pound of suet. Think I'll pass!

Think I'll try making the oat cake (recipe above in this page).
Let me know how the oat cake goes! I haven't made it since I posted the recipe.

Btw, if you're a frequent soup-maker, you should invest in an Instant Pot. I recently got one, and nowadays I just throw ingredients into the IP, press cook, and the next time i wander into the kitchen there's hot food waiting for me! I didn't already have a slow cooker, and now it functions as a slower cooker/pressure cooker/rice cooker all in one. Also, pasta cooked in an IP seems to come out "fluffier;" it's weird (but delicious).

Last night, Bubs and I made massive sandwiches with:
herbed garlic loaves
avocado
grilled eggplant
fried eggs
alfafa sprouts
avocado hummus
"tofurkey"
red onions
tomatoes
& lettuce

oh, and we threw some turmeric, garlic, amongst other seasonings, and grilled that baby on a George Foreman grill. Good god I ate a lot last night.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »

Last night, Bubs and I made massive sandwiches with:
herbed garlic loaves
avocado
grilled eggplant
fried eggs
alfafa sprouts
avocado hummus
"tofurkey"
red onions
tomatoes
& lettuce

oh, and we threw some turmeric, garlic, amongst other seasonings, and grilled that baby on a George Foreman grill. Good god I ate a lot last night.

Hi, M. This takes the concept of massive to another level.  LOL

Sounds scrumptious though.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2018, 05:58:21 PM »

I've been adding kimchi to everything lately after ordering a veggie dog with kimchi as a topping.

Currently eating a mix of veggies (potatoes, kale, a little cauliflower, and avocado) with my probiotic cabbage on top. Know that you should add it the very end of cooking or else you'll cook out all those beneficial bacteria :O

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2018, 06:11:03 PM »

Haven’t quite mastered palak paneer, but I will. goshdarn it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2018, 03:48:26 PM »

Went at friend Sonya's, Sonya's grandmother sometimes stays with her & cooks various nyam-nyam (= English "yummy") dishes. Not today - she baked tiny pies "pirozhki" with 3 cabbage fillings - usual, Brussels, broccoli. I didn't like the taste in 3. I dislike cabbage but without knowing tasted these pirozhki. I like this lady, she's friendly just with me & not the other Sonya's friends. Which is good, it must stay that way. Anyhoo, since I bit them, gave remainder to Sonya's dog when Sonya's granny went to the living room. What would you know, he saved me by eating them (trifle footnote: Then dogs if hungry can eat vegetables). Checked the fridge to find candies/ chocolate, maybe fish sandwiches - I like fish/ seafood - but instead discovered ketchup & rye bread with soup in saucepan. I checked which soup it is - it's cabbage soup. Cabbage day anybody? Then applied ketchup to rye bread slice, added to the above dill (think I use the right green?) & switched the microwave to 20 seconds to dry it little bit. It's nice. Sonya ate pirozhki. She's good granddaughter to her grandmother.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: