-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:27:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all EAT today? + recipes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all EAT today? + recipes.  (Read 86213 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2016, 07:05:36 AM »

Squashes, squashes, so many squashes.

And so I made soup of them. I roasted a few different types: kabocha, butternut, and sugar dumpling. Added the flesh to already sweated onion, garlic, and a diced cayenne pepper. Seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and coriander (and S&P), and added chicken stock. Threw in a few thyme sprigs and some sage. Once it was done, I blended it and added maybe a half-cup of half and half. I had some last night with warm homemade light rye bread and froze the rest. (Frozen soups are my go-to work-lunch option, as no work whatsoever is required in preparation.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »

Squashes, squashes, so many squashes.
Where do you buy squashes from? Farmers markets? Grow them yourself?

I'm currently eating a tuna sandwich with mayo and mustard, and I'm enjoying myself.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2016, 04:21:15 PM »

I'm in a CSA, so I get what they bring. And that tends to include a lot of different types of squash, not just the butternut and acorn you most often see in grocery stores.

The good part is fresh, organic, and amazing vegetables, many of which are varieties you don't see on a regular basis in stores, and sometimes things I'd never even heard of. The bad part is that sometimes you get more than you want of something and struggle to think of uses. (Ahem, edamame. Nettles. Sweet mini peppers. All great, but seriously, there is a limit to what a guy can use.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2016, 03:33:17 PM »

Tonight I'm going to try to make aloo chana (potatoes and chickpeas), having had a version from an Indian restaurant the other day that knocked me out and wanting to mimic it. I'm moderately confident. What I expect the most trouble with is the sauce, which in the restaurant version was a thick, almost (but not quite) paste of a sauce, or a gravy, a deep brown color, spicy and fragrant as you'd expect. I think I'm going to start from the aromatics and spices, but once they're sauteed, I am going to puree them. I haven't seen that in recipes but I know the version I had, there was nothing identifiable in chunks other than potato, chickpea, and a few bits of tomato. The rest was either so finely diced that it more or less melted away, or had been pureed.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2016, 07:10:51 PM »

Folks abroad seem to be very into vegetables & herbs. Much of the titles is new to me. Today's menu - frozen chicken hearts. To extend 780 g for weeks, I boiled 50 gram with half-glass of rice. This I divide to eat for dinner & supper. At breakfast, 2 squares of chocolate with orange fresh.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2016, 07:33:44 PM »

Do you cook any seasonings with your chicken hearts?

When I think of chicken hearts it reminds me of a funny routine by the now disgraced comic Bill Cosby. It's about a giant chicken heart that's going around attacking people (not really happening - it's a radio program) and the little boy takes it seriously and tries to protect his house, in the process causing much more damage than that chicken heart would have done.

And chocolate for breakfast with an orange - will have to try that. Tired of my breakfast, cereal with milk or yogurt, and a banana.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2016, 12:51:45 AM »

Do you cook any seasonings with your chicken hearts?
Yes, bay leaves (very popular in Russia) & smidgen of salt.
NB: liked the Louis Armstrong bit, did he really sign his letters with "ricely yours"? A bit funny.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2016, 06:36:18 AM »

My CSA had burdock this week, which I've never prepared or eaten. In fact, while I'd heard of it, I couldn't have told you what it was (beyond "food") until I got the pre-pickup email yesterday. So while I have no idea yet what I'll do with it, I do look forward to figuring something out.

When I lived in the UK we had this weird soft drink called Dandelion & Burdock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_and_burdock

I remember it tasted unspeakably evil.

Anyway, good luck with the recipe. LOL

Now now, John, Dandelion & Burdock is the north's equivalent of Coca Cola. It is to us what Irn Bru is to Scotland, what Coke is to the US, or what Buckfast is to Glasgow! Made properly, fermented with natural ingredients (like dandelion, and burdock) it's a very ancient drink. And it's delicious!

Well, sir, I got as far as seeing someone else order this purplish can of D&B when briefly in Whitby last week. But I'd already ordered a beer so what can one do? LOL

I'm bound to be back in due course (a truly brilliant part of the world) so I'll do my best to remember to have one then----promise!   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »

Last Saturday, I bought some kind of magical tomatoes at the farmer's market and made the best pasta sauce ever with Bubbly Waves.

There was also Trader Joe's tortellini and Field Roast vegetarian sausage (I don't eat meat) thrown in there. But really, I just want those tomatoes again.

We've also made some sourdough bread bowls with clam chowder inside. Both of those were store-bought, although it's been awhile since I've baked my own bread, and I've yet to make my own sourdough.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2016, 08:47:46 AM »

I'm in a CSA, so I get what they bring. And that tends to include a lot of different types of squash, not just the butternut and acorn you most often see in grocery stores.
My university actually has their own CSA, amongst others in the region. It's a good idea that I've been meaning to get into... local produce at a fairly decent price as far as I can tell.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2016, 03:17:26 PM »

My university actually has their own CSA, amongst others in the region. It's a good idea that I've been meaning to get into... local produce at a fairly decent price as far as I can tell.

I've been a very big fan of the one I'm in: I think this is year four or so. Do your homework up-front to make sure you're getting things you'll use and sufficient diversity. But if you find a good one, go for it.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »

The CSA closest to me includes produce from a lot of local farms, so usually get a nice variety of items. It's still warm down here so eggplant (aubergine), and tomatoes are in this week's box, but also cooler season ones such as turnips,  mustard greens, kale (of course!) green onions (scallions), Brussels sprouts and arugula (rocket). Plus sweet potatoes and satsumas (a citrus crop grown locally; I call it nature's candy).

The brouhaha about celebrities' signatures brought back memories of when Chef Paul Prudhomme (RIP) came to our school while I was working there. He was one of my boss' patients, and as a Thank You he treated the faculty, staff and residents in my department to a delectable lunch prepared on site. Everything was wonderful, but I remember that the chicken and sausage gumbo was to die for.
While preparing the dish, all our mouths watering from the aroma, he spoke about how one should strive to allow for multiple taste experiences while eating. How to explain - in a great dish there will be the initial flavor, then as the dish is eaten more layers of enjoyment come through.
I know that we all experienced that in eating that gumbo!
Afterwards I bought his classic cookbook, Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen, and he signed it for me.

I highly recommend that book. If you wish to try out the gumbo, in your favorite search engine type "Paul Prudhomme Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo" and you will get the actual recipe from the book, and some others that make modifications. In place of andouille one can use a good smoked sausage that isn't too spicy.

P.S. Reading that "eating with multiple layers" part, reminds me of how I appreciate Brian's music. So many layers to enjoy.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:05:48 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2016, 06:10:43 PM »

I picked ours up today: red onions, garlic, sorrel, arugula, mixed salad greens, russet potatoes, carrots, beets, nettles, and festival squash. (Yes, our climate is a bit different than yours!)

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »

Nettles? Have never seen them here.
We'll be having the carrots and beets in the next couple of months.
Am really looking forward to Swiss chard. I have some growing in my garden but they are too beautiful to harvest LOL.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2016, 01:46:06 PM »

I've got a light rye bread in the oven and am doing a cabbage and bean soup. Very autumnal.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »

The Captain is quite the Renaissance man! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2016, 02:05:54 PM »

Man cannot live on basketball and Trump-mockery alone.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2016, 06:25:45 AM »

Not today, but last weekend I made some borscht. I love making soups--I do one almost every weekend, especially through autumn and winter, as they freeze well and make perfect lunches at work--and had an overabundance of beets from my CSA, so it was a natural.

The trick to it was making it vegetarian, as my girlfriend doesn't eat meat. (Well, fish, so technically pescetarian. But that's annoying to say.) This makes me more or less vegetarian, which I don't mind. So this particular borscht used onions, celery, carrots, garlic, beets, potatoes, tomatoes, and mushrooms. I used a veg stock, some tomato paste, and infused some flavor from a bouquet garni of rosemary, parsley, thyme, and savory, as well as dry dill. After all that effort ... it was SPECTACULAR. My best soup of the season (meaning it competed with a pureed squash soup, potato-leek, potato-broccoli-cheese, cabbage and bean, and chili, at least. Maybe others, I don't know.) I'll be sad when we've depleted our stockpile.

So what will this weekend's soup be? That's to be determined. Possibly a vegetable-barley, or something with dumplings. I like dumplings. (Who doesn't like dumplings?)

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2016, 01:52:16 PM »

Not today, but last weekend I made some borscht. I love making soups--I do one almost every weekend, especially through autumn and winter, as they freeze well and make perfect lunches at work--and had an overabundance of beets from my CSA, so it was a natural.

The trick to it was making it vegetarian, as my girlfriend doesn't eat meat. (Well, fish, so technically pescetarian. But that's annoying to say.)

Are you sure you guys aren't an older version of Bubbly and I? (I don't eat meat, I mean except for some fish, but yeah, it's easier to say vegetarian. I should try to just eat sustainable fish anyway.)

This makes me more or less vegetarian, which I don't mind. So this particular borscht used onions, celery, carrots, garlic, beets, potatoes, tomatoes, and mushrooms. I used a veg stock, some tomato paste, and infused some flavor from a bouquet garni of rosemary, parsley, thyme, and savory, as well as dry dill. After all that effort ... it was SPECTACULAR. My best soup of the season (meaning it competed with a pureed squash soup, potato-leek, potato-broccoli-cheese, cabbage and bean, and chili, at least. Maybe others, I don't know.) I'll be sad when we've depleted our stockpile.

So what will this weekend's soup be? That's to be determined. Possibly a vegetable-barley, or something with dumplings. I like dumplings. (Who doesn't like dumplings?)
But yeah, this sounds delicious. I applaud you for all of the herbs you used.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2016, 02:07:55 PM »

Pretty sure, and no applause necessary.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2016, 02:51:09 PM »

Pizza Hut its national pizza day

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2016, 09:54:41 AM »

Today (the lady away) I'm marinating some cubed lamb in white wine, olive oil, a sh*t-ton of garlic, diced white onion, a diced jalapeno, and rosemary, mint, parsley, and oregano. I made some tzatziki the other day and have some spinach and acceptable/decent pitas on hand. The question remains whether to mix in a bit of tomato sauce or paste to change the flavor of the meat, but I'm not sure yet. These are the decisions that stress me out. Because I'm fucking weird. I'll just get drunk in the interim and watch the Vikings (probably lose again) and wait for the spirit to move me.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2016, 03:31:06 AM »

The question remains whether to mix in a bit of tomato sauce or paste to change the flavor of the meat, but I'm not sure yet. These are the decisions that stress me out. Because I'm fucking weird.

Cap'n, we're all fucking weird in our own way----if it's any consolation.  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2016, 06:10:11 AM »

Captain think you sat within reach of me at Brain's Mpls, show. Did you eat this meal before the show?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2016, 06:32:51 AM »

No, I think I ate a soft pretzel and two Surly Furiouses at a nearby bar.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: