-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all EAT today? + recipes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all EAT today? + recipes.  (Read 86210 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 10:52:21 AM »

Yessss!!!!! This evening I excelled myself with baked spuds, leeks and blue cheese sauce in vast quantities!!!!!

For those who don't know what blue cheese sauce looks like, here it is:

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 12:23:13 AM »

Do you eat "blue cheese" at breakfast, dinner & supper? There is evidence you like it that you posted in many subforums that food. f.ex. general music. pictures show it's very bad.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 02:42:29 AM »

Do you eat "blue cheese" at breakfast, dinner & supper?

Yes and in the mid morning we take our coffee with a massive chunk of Blue Stilton. Yummy!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 02:43:05 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 06:13:01 AM »

You've got unusual taste in food. usually, people think it's inedible to eat blue cheese due to molds.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 06:32:58 AM »

You've got unusual taste in food. usually, people think it's inedible to eat blue cheese due to molds.

If there's a problem at all with blue cheese, it's flatulence. But that's alright with me.   

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 07:42:16 AM »

I'm not interested in aftermath, it's just it's very uncharacteristic for people to taste food with mold, in this case cheese, & like it too much that it's "yummy".

KDS
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 07:47:22 AM »

Personally, I think blue cheese is disgusting, but my wife loves it. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 09:03:35 AM »

I'm about to go to the store to get some milk and cream for my Mom.
With all this cheese talk will pick up a package of our local Creole Cream Cheese. It's usually mixed with sugar and fruit. Creole cream cheese ice cream is also popular. Or, for a savory change, spread some over slices of ripe tomato and top with pepper.

This cheese is very easy to make - just need skim milk, buttermilk, rennet, and cheesecloth. The curds are used for the cream cheese and the whey can be used for ricotta cheese.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 10:04:42 AM »

I'm not interested in aftermath

I should hope not.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 10:05:26 AM »

I'm about to go to the store to get some milk and cream for my Mom.
With all this cheese talk will pick up a package of our local Creole Cream Cheese. It's usually mixed with sugar and fruit. Creole cream cheese ice cream is also popular. Or, for a savory change, spread some over slices of ripe tomato and top with pepper.

This cheese is very easy to make - just need skim milk, buttermilk, rennet, and cheesecloth. The curds are used for the cream cheese and the whey can be used for ricotta cheese.

Sounds great, Elizabeth. Enjoy!

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2016, 09:32:15 AM »

There's been a brouhaha down here concerning a video Disney posted on FB yesterday, supposedly a recipe for "gumbo."
They tried to make it "healthy", using whole wheat flour, etc.
Then they added crushed bay leaves. What? Bay leaves are what you put in, whole, because you have to take them out or you can get quite sick.
Then kale!
Then, the horror, Quinoa!

This abomination was not gumbo. Everyone knows that to make a real gumbo, one must make a roux (pronounced "roo") first. A roux is an equal mixture of flour (white flour, whole wheat flour doesn't work!) and oil/butter. The fat is heated then the flour added gradually, then stirred until the color desired (a medium to dark brown). this can take 10-15 minutes to do. What this video showed was adding some whole wheat flour to other ingredients.
And serving the "gumbo" with quinoa - oh, the horror! Only rice will do!

People down here have been doing videos making fun of this video, and Disney took it off FB.

Here's a video on how "NOT" to make gumbo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9cAqYa8Izw

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2016, 07:59:29 PM »

Made some delicious french toast the other day.

We're gonna make some french toast kebabs one of these days... bites of french toast layered with stuff like eggs, hash browns... dip the bits in real maple syrup... it's gonna be exciting.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2016, 07:19:56 AM »

Something i make for my  Smokin friends

Vanilla ice cream 2 half gallon(any brand)
Box of oreos crushed
4/8 vanilla pudding cups
Cool whip or equivalent knockoff

Mix all together makes for a great but sugary snack kinda lke dirt pudding but tweaked some

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2016, 07:21:43 AM »

Made some delicious french toast the other day.

We're gonna make some french toast kebabs one of these days... bites of french toast layered with stuff like eggs, hash browns... dip the bits in real maple syrup... it's gonna be exciting.

Folks around here would LOVE the french toast kabobs with maple syrup... Theres a Maple festival every year in chardon where my bro lives

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2016, 06:24:33 PM »

Happily still warm enough here to keep harvesting jalapenos and tomatoes, both of which I used in some beans for burritos. Also pulled some savory, oregano, lemon thyme, and parsley in there.

Fingers crossed that warm temps linger until the dozen or so tomatoes and maybe two dozen jalapeno and cayenne peppers ripen. Or at least get to the point that, if necessary, I can pick them and let them ripen inside.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2016, 03:26:17 PM »

If I may say what I will (or plan to) eat tomorrow...

I plan to roast diced celeriac, onion, and (honeycrisp) apple with some garlic, adding some diced bacon and garlic in the final minutes, and then toss them in (real) maple syrup.

There's also some sugar dumpling squash on the counter that I need to use this weekend. It's not impossible that I dice that up and add to the aforementioned. Or maybe I'll stuff them with peppers and rice. I'm pretty excited about them, though.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Scaroline No
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2016, 03:36:04 PM »

Standing in line to get into a comedy festival show eating free sushi and drinking super expensive beer.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2016, 09:10:24 PM »

Leftover macadamia nut + coconut flake pancakes;
Veggie sausage + basil omelette;
& phad thai (delivered).

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2016, 10:18:32 PM »

Spanish rice.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »

Pizza made on black pepper focaccia for lunch. & Burger King for dinner

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2016, 06:16:05 PM »

There's also some sugar dumpling squash on the counter that I need to use this weekend. It's not impossible that I dice that up and add to the aforementioned. Or maybe I'll stuff them with peppers and rice. I'm pretty excited about them, though.

I hadn't heard of that type of squash before. Read about it and it sounds wonderful, small, and great for stuffing.
Don't recall seeing this at our local farmers market
Will see about getting some seeds.

This thread is fun!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2016, 05:50:02 AM »

I hadn't heard of that type of squash before. Read about it and it sounds wonderful, small, and great for stuffing.
Don't recall seeing this at our local farmers market
Will see about getting some seeds.

This thread is fun!
it was delicious. I only heard of it & got through my CSA.

I mixed my two ideas and diced the squash and added it to the other idea: celeriac, Apple, bacon, maple. A little cumin, cinnamon and nutmeg, a little chile diced in there. My oh my...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »

I'll come clean: I'm a beans and rice kind of person. There is glory in a one-pot meal, for one thing, be it casserole, stew, or whatever. But there is something about the flexibility of beans and rice that I just love. Anyone else? (I mean, judging by names, how could NOLA BB Fan not be on board?)

So tonight I'm doing a beans and rice dish with brown rice and kidney beans, plus chicken, onion, garlic, yellow and orange peppers, red and green jalapeno peppers, diced tomatoes, oregano, and savory, plus chicken stock and a spice mix of paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander, and S&P. I wish I had fresh sweet corn but the season is passed. I might add some frozen corn toward the end.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2016, 04:52:14 PM »

That dish you have planned for tonight sounds heavenly!

Oh yes, beans and rice. Red (kidney) beans, navy beans, large butter beans are my favorites.
Like all other beans, except lima beans.

Louis Armstrong ended his letters with the following:
"Red beans and ricely yours"

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »

Squashes, squashes, so many squashes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: