gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:33:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love’s 2016 solo project  (Read 25946 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2016, 07:15:57 PM »

WOW!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2016, 07:23:52 PM »

It's not real; some guy took Street Fighter II as a template and animated that. I'd still totally play that game with a Lovester soundtrack.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2016, 07:28:23 PM »

Ongoing conflicts aside, there are currently six others he could invite to be guests…

We know Foskett is on the stuff. Totten almost surely too. After that, I'd say Dave would be an easy bet…

My other two were Ricky & Blondie (though they're perhaps as likely as Brian!). Jeff and Scott, for all their superb credentials and lengthy affiliations, I don't count as core BBs. Touring BBs for sure, to me, but not recording Beach Boys.

I definitely wasn't counting Foskett or Totten as "Beach Boys." I was just running down a list of known players/singers that we have confirmed have popped into those sessions. Right now, that's pretty much just Foskett. I was then making a relatively safe leap that Totten is likely involved, as Totten has done other recent ML sessions, and I believe Totten plays on some of the decade-old Fauerso stuff as well.

As for Ricky and Blondie, yeah, I'd say that's about as likely as Brian. Though, I would imagine if Mike called Fataar up and Fataar had time in his schedule to do it, he'd probably play on Mike's stuff. Dunno if Fataar is out of Mike's budget range though (and I'm not trying to be funny). He's an in-demand dude. No offense to the other guys in those recent studio pics, some or all of which might be familiar to folks knee-deep in whatever is left of the session musician scene, but I'd guess Fataar is a more in-demand (and thus more expensive, and tougher to book) player at this stage. Whereas, I'm sure Stamos would pay to play on Mike's sessions if he needed to.

Very cool… wasn't even aware Ricky was still doing a lot but I'd say there's a reason he doesn't come cheap: he's one helluva drummer.

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2016, 08:15:26 PM »

It's not real; some guy took Street Fighter II as a template and animated that. I'd still totally play that game with a Lovester soundtrack.
Or BW vs. the lovester. Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2016, 08:19:36 PM »

Or BW vs. the lovester. Evil
I can see it now: "No love and mercy for you or your friends tonight, Mike!"

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »

Yes! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2016, 09:01:01 PM »

"Mike, your nose was on the critical list back in '64...now it's on a watch list!"

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2016, 09:07:22 PM »

"Mike, your nose was on the critical list back in '64...now it's on a watch list!"

LOL  LOL  LOL

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2016, 09:15:17 PM »

"Cousin Brian knows that when you take a ride on the Love train there's bound to be a bumpy track. I already told him once...I like Van Dyke Parks. He's a NICE PERSON. At least I didn't call him the biggest butthole in the world!"

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2016, 03:59:05 PM »

The new ESQ says Mike’s project is slated for a fall 2016 release and features members of the Beach Boys band, John Stamos and Mark McGrath.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2016, 05:17:54 PM »

The new ESQ says Mike’s project is slated for a fall 2016 release and features members of the Beach Boys band, John Stamos and Mark McGrath.

Mark McGrath is literally at the top of my list of most horrible musicians/bands ever...."iiiii just wanna fly..." maybe the worst song ever made....
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2016, 07:22:18 PM »

Great news thanks for sharing! any track list out yet??
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2016, 07:57:23 PM »

Well...that sounds far from promising.  LOL
KDS
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2016, 05:13:19 AM »

Mark McGrath is literally at the top of my list of most horrible musicians/bands ever...."iiiii just wanna fly..." maybe the worst song ever made....

I couldn't agree more.  Sugar Ray was one of those awful late 90s, quasi rappish, ska-ish, pop bands.  All the singers had frosted hair.   Wow, what an awful time for music. 

Stamos I can at least stomach.  Love him or hate him, he did help introduce a younger generation to the Beach Boys.  There's a lot of people in their 20s and 30s I see at Brian Wilson and Mike & Bruce shows who might not be there if not for Stamos. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2016, 05:43:53 AM »

That's how I chose the groups I liked.  Whatever Jamie Farr was into was good enough for me.  [The Chiffons.  The Nylons. ]  Stamos is not a musical asset.

Still...given the right notes...geographically influenced lyrics and the backing of some pretty talented guys...this could turn out to be at least partially OK with perhaps 3 or 4 decent songs on it.  Just 'cause Mike ain't my favourite fella doesn't mean that his group doesn't do a good show and make some excellent sounds.  [and THAT doesn't include Grandpa John S. who's an amateur at best]  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's W A Y more likely that I'd buy this as a c.d. than  spend actual money on a 'book'.  Ultimately...with the Beach Boys and offshoots...it was always about the music and never much about the clothes or 'the story' . ['cept for Brian's which is both inspiring and compelling.]  How I went from a gas-jockey to mega rich and usually oh-so miserable with nothing but an atlas and 3 cousins who had a ton o' talent is not my idea of a must read.]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:06:21 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2016, 10:07:38 AM »

Sugar Ray has a BB connection. Carl's first wife Annie remarried and is step-mother to Sugar Ray's Murphy Karges.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »

Sugar Ray has a BB connection. Carl's first wife Annie remarried and is step-mother to Sugar Ray's Murphy Karges.

Pretty sure they did a version of Little Saint Nick too.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2016, 09:35:38 PM »

Pretty sure they did a version of Little Saint Nick too.

Mark recorded a version of Getcha Back for Herbie Fully Loaded (2005). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6COCZ9Z1fw

Michael Lloyd is a producer that worked those 70s Wall Of Sound productions for Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garrett. In the 80s, he produced Belinda Carlisle's first LP away from the Go-Gos with the great single Mad About You. So he can get that Beach Boys sound. He produced Leif doing Surfin' USA and Shaun doing It's Like Heaven.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx