gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:02:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love’s 2016 solo project  (Read 25854 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2016, 07:43:40 PM »

Not much has been posted about Mike’s potential album he’s been working on, so I might as well start the conversation with some screenshots from producer Michael Lloyd’s Facebook page. It looks it’s really coming along! Spoiler: We got Stamos!

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 08:24:33 PM »

Hopefully something materializes. Anything new as far as Beach Boys music, solo or otherwise, will be welcome.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 08:37:33 PM »

Mike Love does really deserve at least once good record up his sleeve.  Hopefully this may be up there with Al's 'postcard'.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 09:04:15 PM »

So I'm guessing that 2007's Mike Love, Not War/Unleash the Love album is pretty much completely in the can now? I'd still love an official release of "10,000 Years", that songs kicks ass!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 09:14:37 PM »

Hopefully this one can actually see the light of day, Lookin Back and First Love show he actually has some potential as a solo artist, so I'm interested in what he and his crew can cook up.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 09:50:37 PM »

Sounds good. I love Foskett and I love Tim Pierce.  Afro
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 10:27:56 PM »

Just like the "Unleash the Love" material (and First Love and Country Love), I bet nothing happens with this material. We'd be lucky to see some kinda one off digital single. It seems Mike just doesn't have the guts to put his stuff out there in a major way (i.e. an album) and be judged on it (read: potentially lots of embarrassing reviews I suspect). Either that or he thinks it deserves a major label to come and release it...and let's face it, that ain't happening. The only Beach Boy who can get a major label day right now is Brian.

Regardless, if Mike ever does release a new solo collection, I'd be first in line to buy it. I actually really like a decent amount of his non-Beach Boys material. I would buy any new material from Brian, Mike, Al or Bruce.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 11:34:12 PM »

It seems Mike just doesn't have the guts to put his stuff out there in a major way (i.e. an album) and be judged on it (read: potentially lots of embarrassing reviews I suspect).

Then he should stop writing embarrassing songs.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 11:42:23 PM »

5… 4… 3… 2…

“We live in divisive times.”
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 12:31:24 AM »

2... 3... 4... 5...

I am serious. If you sing "fun, fun, fun" and "wouldn't it be nice" in every song since 1979 the songs become embarrassing and artistically irrelevant.

I do look forward to this album and I hope Mike treads new ground with it and does not re-visit his old output.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:34:14 AM by Mendota Heights » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 01:07:45 AM »

Mike is a world famous songwriter remember, he wrote the 'she's giving me excitations...' and he wrote 'goodnight, baby, sleep tight, baby'.
He also wrote 'kokomo' without Cousin Brian, let us not forget that  Roll Eyes
actually I would not be too keen to hear many new Mike Love tunes, I sure hope he has pulled some solid material from the pen of other writers.
I sure HOPE it is not a bunch of rerecorded BB hits. 
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 03:07:41 AM »

I would like to be proven wrong and have him deliver something good, I'm sure we all would. Hopefully he's got people with him, ready to say 'no' if needed. I hope he can rein it in a bit and keep the references to a minimum!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:09:28 AM by SamMcK » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 05:43:28 AM »

It seems Mike just doesn't have the guts to put his stuff out there in a major way (i.e. an album) and be judged on it (read: potentially lots of embarrassing reviews I suspect).

Then he should stop writing embarrassing songs.

That'll never happen. I mean really, why even bother? Additionally, a healthy slice of the populace has no idea who he is or if they did, they thought he died years ago.  LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 06:04:30 AM »

Maybe he's (re)recording music to listen while reading his book.  For context, you know.
One song per each chapter.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 07:36:43 AM »

I would guess a solo set (which makes sense to piggyback on his book) would be similar in quality to the "Unleash the Love/Mike Love Not War" stuff. Meaning, generally decent production, some reasonably catchy songs, some dire lyrics and puns, and stuff that's generally better than his old solo stuff from the 70s and 80s.

However, I believe that circa 2004 stuff was done with Paul Fauerso, the same guy he did some of his late 70s solo stuff with. This newer stuff has this Michael Lloyd guy producing (and a bunch of session guys, who I can't say aren't great musicians, but none of whom I've ever heard of), so I'm curious how different it'll sound, and of course whether they started from scratch or used any of the 2000s material.  

I believe Lloyd produced the "Alone on Christmas Day" remake, and that was pretty mediocre. It sounded like it was trying to ape the retro/Be My Baby sound that Brian does on his solo stuff (and I'm not a huge fan of Brian's latter-day solo stuff when it's drenched in digital reverb and sleigh bells either), and that Christmas track also had either pretty heavy autotune or some sort of vocal processing that was pretty distracting. Mike's voice seems to sound worse with autotune applied than Brian's, to my ears, perhaps because of the more trebley, nasal tone it has. Autotune kind of accentuates that. When autotune is stuck on Brian or Al (I don't like it used on them either), it just maintains the standard "robo" effect.

I thought at least some of the 2004 Fauerso stuff *sounded* better than that one Lloyd track. But we have little to go on.

The best solo thing Mike has probably ever done is "Cool Head, Warm Heart"; that's about as good as it gets. So, an album full of tracks of that quality would be solid. Nothing mind-blowing. If I were Mike, I would have Foskett sing the mid-range stuff instead of the falsetto, perhaps have Christian Love do some mid-range harmonies or something, and maybe keep high falsetto parts to a minimum. For some reason, whenever Baker or Foskett or anyone does the really high, retro-sounding falsetto parts on his solo stuff, it sounds too generic and starts sounding like the Hawaiian Tropic/Hyatt Regency jingles and stuff like that. Think how sort of cheap all those 1990s Adrian Baker sessions with Mike sound.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:45:50 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 12:17:02 PM »

I would guess a solo set (which makes sense to piggyback on his book) would be similar in quality to the "Unleash the Love/Mike Love Not War" stuff. Meaning, generally decent production, some reasonably catchy songs, some dire lyrics and puns, and stuff that's generally better than his old solo stuff from the 70s and 80s.

However, I believe that circa 2004 stuff was done with Paul Fauerso, the same guy he did some of his late 70s solo stuff with. This newer stuff has this Michael Lloyd guy producing (and a bunch of session guys, who I can't say aren't great musicians, but none of whom I've ever heard of), so I'm curious how different it'll sound, and of course whether they started from scratch or used any of the 2000s material.  

I believe Lloyd produced the "Alone on Christmas Day" remake, and that was pretty mediocre. It sounded like it was trying to ape the retro/Be My Baby sound that Brian does on his solo stuff (and I'm not a huge fan of Brian's latter-day solo stuff when it's drenched in digital reverb and sleigh bells either), and that Christmas track also had either pretty heavy autotune or some sort of vocal processing that was pretty distracting. Mike's voice seems to sound worse with autotune applied than Brian's, to my ears, perhaps because of the more trebley, nasal tone it has. Autotune kind of accentuates that. When autotune is stuck on Brian or Al (I don't like it used on them either), it just maintains the standard "robo" effect.

I thought at least some of the 2004 Fauerso stuff *sounded* better than that one Lloyd track. But we have little to go on.

The best solo thing Mike has probably ever done is "Cool Head, Warm Heart"; that's about as good as it gets. So, an album full of tracks of that quality would be solid. Nothing mind-blowing. If I were Mike, I would have Foskett sing the mid-range stuff instead of the falsetto, perhaps have Christian Love do some mid-range harmonies or something, and maybe keep high falsetto parts to a minimum. For some reason, whenever Baker or Foskett or anyone does the really high, retro-sounding falsetto parts on his solo stuff, it sounds too generic and starts sounding like the Hawaiian Tropic/Hyatt Regency jingles and stuff like that. Think how sort of cheap all those 1990s Adrian Baker sessions with Mike sound.

Seconded regarding "Cool Head, Warm Heart". No audible pitch correction, at least to my ears. I hope any solo material he releases will go that direction.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 12:26:04 PM »

An addendum to the comment above "...this Michael Lloyd guy..."

Michael Jeffrey Lloyd (born November 3, 1948) is an American record producer, arranger, songwriter and musician. After working with Mike Curb, Kim Fowley and others in the mid and late 1960s on musical projects including the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, and Steven Spielberg's first short film, Amblin', he became a highly successful producer of teen idol pop stars including The Osmonds, Shaun Cassidy, and Leif Garrett in the 1970s. During the 1980s, he supervised the music soundtrack for the movie Dirty Dancing, and produced the hit "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", as well as working with Belinda Carlisle, Barry Manilow, and many others. By his own account, he has gained over 100 gold and platinum records.[1]

And a nice guy, and a huge Brian Wilson fan (he worked with him on Shaun Cassidy's version of It's Like Heaven) to boot.

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 12:28:49 PM »

With Jeffrey Foskett on board it's going to be decent.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 12:33:42 PM »

An addendum to the comment above "...this Michael Lloyd guy..."

Michael Jeffrey Lloyd (born November 3, 1948) is an American record producer, arranger, songwriter and musician. After working with Mike Curb, Kim Fowley and others in the mid and late 1960s on musical projects including the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, and Steven Spielberg's first short film, Amblin', he became a highly successful producer of teen idol pop stars including The Osmonds, Shaun Cassidy, and Leif Garrett in the 1970s. During the 1980s, he supervised the music soundtrack for the movie Dirty Dancing, and produced the hit "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", as well as working with Belinda Carlisle, Barry Manilow, and many others. By his own account, he has gained over 100 gold and platinum records.[1]

And a nice guy, and a huge Brian Wilson fan (he worked with him on Shaun Cassidy's version of It's Like Heaven) to boot.

Definitely familiar with Michael Lloyd when his name was brought up by Mike last year in relation to the Christmas album. As I said, the one track he has produced didn't particularly impress me; the Fauerso stuff from a decade ago sounded better, and was a bit more "modern" sounding and wasn't trying to ape the old Brian/Spector sound.

Beyond "Cool Head", one of the best songs on that circa 2004 compilation was Christian Love's remake of "Too Cruel."

It'll be interesting to see if Mike carries over any of the Fauerso stuff, and if he carries over any of those Christian lead vocals (we obviously don't know if there was *ever* any intention to release those leads on a Mike solo project).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 01:12:21 PM »

Mike might get this new stuff released if he can put the Beach Boys name on it. Is Bruce on it? Obviously he's got 2 faux BB's - Foskett and Stamos. I don't know why he doesn't just put his recordings on cd and sell them at shows. I doubt that Mike himself has set foot inside a record store....uh, I mean cd store....no, I guess they don't exist anymore....okay, I wonder if he has ever gone to iTunes or amazon for a download? I think he could sell a lot of cd's at his concerts, people are excited about being at a concert, they want some souvenirs to take home, they might even like the new songs. That's how I've bought a lot of cd's in recent years.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »

As we all probably know, there's no way Mike's stuff would be released under the BBs name. BRI and Brian (and Al) wouldn't allow it, and Mike wouldn't try.

Mike doesn't need a major label, or a label at all, to get a solo album released. He can release it himself online (as he did with the XMas cut). My guess is, perhaps to tie in with his book, he might get a mid-level or indie label to release the album digitally and physically, or just put it out himself as a digital-only release. (There's also the "MOD" physical option through places like Amazon, as Al did with the first 2010 version of his solo album).

As for Bruce, I always get the feeling that Bruce and Mike kind of have an "Ed McMahon/Johnny Carson" sort of relationship in that they mainly do the touring together and public appearances and not a whole ton else.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:17:31 PM by HeyJude » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 02:13:28 PM »

As we all probably know, there's now way Mike's stuff would be released under the BBs name. BRI and Brian (and Al) wouldn't allow it, and Mike wouldn't try.

I feel pretty confident in thinking that if Mike could get it released as a "BB" album, that he'd do so without hesitation.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 02:16:59 PM »

As we all probably know, there's now way Mike's stuff would be released under the BBs name. BRI and Brian (and Al) wouldn't allow it, and Mike wouldn't try.

I feel pretty confident in thinking that if Mike could get it released as a "BB" album, that he'd do so without hesitation.

Yes. I was suggesting that Mike would never try under the current trademark circumstances of which he is well aware.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 03:28:04 PM »

Hopefully something materializes. Anything new as far as Beach Boys music, solo or otherwise, will be welcome.
+1 - looking forward to anything new from Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce, Blondie, Ricky, The Honeys - anyone! or more from Dave.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 03:30:28 PM »

Yes. I was suggesting that Mike would never try under the current trademark circumstances of which he is well aware.

Totally,  agreed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx