-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:42:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Scott Bennett discussion thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott Bennett discussion thread  (Read 162230 times)
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2016, 09:30:13 AM »

Heck, for the Brian Wilson On Tour documentary, both Joe Thomas and Steve Dahl were digitally erased. Not that there were frames of them edited out -- they were actually literally erased FROM the frames.

*Quickly off topic here

Why were they erased if you don't mind me asking?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2016, 09:32:23 AM »

I can only speculate, but I think it might have to do how Joe Thomas was exiled at the time. (It might also explain why it took three damn years to get that DVD out.) Steve was part of Joe's crowd -- so I guess he was exiled along with him, although I think it was a mutual feeling there. (No big loss; Steve is a douche. Not the same way that, say, Scott is, but still a douche.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: May 09, 2016, 09:33:20 AM »

I can only speculate, but I think it might have to do how Joe Thomas was exiled at the time. (It might also explain why it took three damn years to get that DVD out.) Steve was part of Joe's crowd -- so I guess he was exiled along with him, although I think it was a mutual feeling there.

Cheers.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: May 09, 2016, 09:34:15 AM »

Heck, for the Brian Wilson On Tour documentary, both Joe Thomas and Steve Dahl were digitally erased. Not that there were frames of them edited out -- they were actually literally erased FROM the frames.

*Quickly off topic here

Why were they erased if you don't mind me asking?

There was a falling out between Joe Thomas and Brian and company in mid-1999 or so. Joe missed the Japan tour, Brian felt they were fine without Joe, and Joe was let go from the touring band at that point (and thus Dahl was also gone). Eventually some lawsuits were filed unrelated specifically to touring (not sure what happened with those; I would assume settled). I think this is covered at least a bit in the Carlin book.

They were then stuck with 1999 footage that they wanted to work into that "On Tour" documentary, which ended up coming out around 2003. Why they didn't just shoot footage of a newer show, I don't know. Maybe digitally erasing Thomas and Dahl was cheaper than a new video shoot? Or perhaps part of the novelty was that the 1999 footage was Brian's "first" tour?

As to why they couldn't just keep Thomas and Dahl in the footage, I'm not sure if there were legal reasons (pending lawsuits), or they just *really* wanted to wash their hands of the whole thing.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:38:53 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: May 09, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »

Don't think they can't digitally remove Scott from video footage. Heck, for the Brian Wilson On Tour documentary, both Joe Thomas and Steve Dahl were digitally erased. Not that there were frames of them edited out -- they were actually literally erased FROM the frames.

They certainly *could* try to remove him digitally, but I just don't think it's going to happen. With C50 footage, there are already a ton of legal and political roadblocks keeping another release from happening, that I can't imagine *all* of that would be overcome in addition to having to do a bunch of extra post-production work to remove him.

Now, maybe some of the shows were covered with enough cameras that *very little* digital editing would need to be done, and the could rely mostly on just using shots that don't include him.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 09, 2016, 09:38:16 AM »

I just played Nothing But Love and I didn't feel any different listening to it. What was created before has nothing to do with what has happened. I never thought about Scott Bennett before this all happened and I probably won't in the future.

For myself, I will never understand why one person would take advantage of another person, at anytime, let alone when they are vulnerable. As a young man I had a few encounters with women that I turned down even though they wanted to, but who (in my mind) were just too inebriated to make that kind of decision. I always found it best to act when both parties knew exactly what they were getting into.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: May 09, 2016, 09:43:41 AM »

Ehh, I never liked "Nothing But Love" in the first place; I don't think I'll feel any different. Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 09, 2016, 09:45:32 AM »

VDP just tweeted out Scott's mug shot. Why?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 09, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »

Ehh, I never liked "Nothing But Love" in the first place; I don't think I'll feel any different. Smiley
I played it because I like it. I wasn't really thinking about whether you did or not. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2016, 09:53:54 AM »

Something about sharing a lyric he'd written before this all happened? Very strange post by him, indeed.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2016, 09:59:06 AM »

There was a falling out between Joe Thomas and Brian and company in mid-1999 or so. Joe missed the Japan tour, Brian felt they were fine without Joe, and Joe was let go from the touring band at that point (and thus Dahl was also gone). Eventually some lawsuits were filed unrelated specifically to touring (not sure what happened with those; I would assume settled). I think this is covered at least a bit in the Carlin book.

They were then stuck with 1999 footage that they wanted to work into that "On Tour" documentary, which ended up coming out around 2003. Why they didn't just shoot footage of a newer show, I don't know. Maybe digitally erasing Thomas and Dahl was cheaper than a new video shoot? Or perhaps part of the novelty was that the 1999 footage was Brian's "first" tour?

As to why they couldn't just keep Thomas and Dahl in the footage, I'm not sure if there were legal reasons (pending lawsuits), or they just *really* wanted to wash their hands of the whole thing.

Ah right.  Shocked
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2016, 10:29:22 AM »

The fact that the press is gonna keep pestering Brian for further comment just makes me pissed as hell.

Brian's representative posts yesterday on his website that Brian will have no further comment on the topic... Rolling Stone is aware of this (and even quotes Brian from Brian's site), then Rolling Stone proceeds to state that they then ignored what he said, and asked him for further comment. As though a guy in his mid 70s needs to deal with this crap.

What the f*ck about Brian not having anything more to say on the topic does Rolling Stone not understand? Unbelievable.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:31:59 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2016, 10:36:41 AM »

Brian's probably going to be asked about it if he does interviews, especially for the next few weeks or months.

I'm not sure what the PR plans were for the UK tour, but we may see less in the way of interviews if the assumption is that they're going to be asking about it.

My thing is, what could Brian possibly say? What insight could he offer? In that way, I'm guessing he's much like fans. We don't have any answers. It's totally bizarre and awful. It's like asking someone to comment on a death. It starts to just turn into that scene from the "Rutles" movie. "Shocked." "Yes, shocked.... and stunned."

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2016, 10:39:09 AM »

I'd like to know if Scott Bennett testified at the trial or if he asserted the 5th amendment.  The newspaper article was damning, in and of itself.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2016, 10:44:20 AM »

I'd like to know if Scott Bennett testified at the trial or if he asserted the 5th amendment.  The newspaper article was damning, in and of itself.

In a criminal trial, one wouldn't have to plead the fifth if they didn't want to testify. One simply would choose not to testify. Although, perhaps not testifying is essentially an extension of one's fifth amendment rights.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:51:04 AM by HeyJude » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2016, 10:44:34 AM »

Brian's probably going to be asked about it if he does interviews, especially for the next few weeks or months.

I'm not sure what the PR plans were for the UK tour, but we may see less in the way of interviews if the assumption is that they're going to be asking about it.

My thing is, what could Brian possibly say? What insight could he offer? In that way, I'm guessing he's much like fans. We don't have any answers. It's totally bizarre and awful. It's like asking someone to comment on a death. It starts to just turn into that scene from the "Rutles" movie. "Shocked." "Yes, shocked.... and stunned."

All the media wants from Brian at this point is clickbait. Either saying something to throw Scott under the bus, or saying something of any remotely empathetic way about his colleague who by all accounts also appeared to be his friend (that can be spun into a "Brian defends rapist" headline).

There's nothing Brian can say that won't be exploited about this topic one way or another, and he, of all people, absolutely shouldn't have to deal with the emotional heartache and aggravation of this awful and tragic subject anymore than he already has.

Also - I'm trying to fathom what it's like for Brian (and Melinda), not to mention the makers of Love & Mercy, that the main theme song for the film, One Kind of Love, which Melinda seemed to be emotionally moved by and to really hold the song's sentiment close to her heart, now has the baggage of Scott having cowritten it. Even if that fact doesn't bother them personally, the fact that they might have to worry about public perception - what people might think if the band keeps playing the song live, and that it could largely be considered basically tainted now - this is just is one heartbreaking aspect of an incredibly heartbreaking story all around. F*ck.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:45:39 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 09, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »

Something about sharing a lyric he'd written before this all happened? Very strange post by him, indeed.

Did he delete it, I don't see it?
KDS
« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »

I don't think Scott Bennett's actions in any way detract from the music he made with Brian.  

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I really don't think that, when Brian plays OKOL in the future, people will say, "Oh it's that song co-written by a rapist."  

Phil Spector's music is still very much revered and respected.  
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2016, 10:52:19 AM »

The Rolling Stone article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/former-brian-wilson-band-member-convicted-of-rape-20160509

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2016, 10:53:14 AM »

I don't think Scott Bennett's actions in any way detract from the music he made with Brian.  

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I really don't think that, when Brian plays OKOL in the future, people will say, "Oh it's that song co-written by a rapist."  

Phil Spector's music is still very much revered and respected.  

I still love Spector's music, and can enjoy it untainted. I think of Spector as a guy with mental illness that got severely worse over the years. With Scott, I'm sure the same enjoyment will be true down the line, but for a lot of people, it's *such* fresh brand new news that it's just gonna be more difficult right this moment. Right now,  I just feel incredibly, incredibly sad for Scott, the victim, Brian, and everyone involved.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:53:46 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2016, 10:54:27 AM »

It appears to be gone. I don't know what Parks was trying to say. It kind of seemed like he was trying to indicate that he (Parks) gave Bennett some lyrics for something prior to all of this news breaking.

I don't know if any potential collaborators or associates are worried about any *future* things Bennett might release, or do or say, that might imply they were working with Bennett after learning of his conviction.

Just a guess.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 09, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »

It appears to be gone. I don't know what Parks was trying to say. It kind of seemed like he was trying to indicate that he (Parks) gave Bennett some lyrics for something prior to all of this news breaking.

I don't know if any potential collaborators or associates are worried about any *future* things Bennett might release, or do or say, that might imply they were working with Bennett after learning of his conviction.

Just a guess.

Interesting, I wonder if Brian will stay play "One Kind Of Love" live after this.  Since I first saw the story this morning, I have felt ill in my stomach ever since.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 09, 2016, 11:01:34 AM »

The text of the tweet (not the photo) is still on my feed:

@thevandykeparks  2h2 hours ago
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/brian-wilson-band-member-rape/?trackback=twitter_mobile_top … @UltClassicRock VDP: I've chosen to let Scott use lyrics I'd provided him prior to this, as I do love mercy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: May 09, 2016, 11:06:38 AM »

I can't tell if VDP is being snarky or, as I mentioned above, trying to inform people that any future item Bennett might release with some VDP lyrics would be something VDP offered to him *prior* to all of this.

Not sure how likely it is we're going to see Bennett "using" any VDP lyrics for anything anytime soon, which makes me think the VDP comment is maybe meant as snark.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 09, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »

I'm choosing to interpret it as snark against Scott as well. I was annoyed that VDP chose to spread the news, which would only invite more speculation and possibly hurt Brian more. But I don't think VDP meant any harm. It's just that compassion for the victim may be more what's called for, if he was going to tweet about it at all. Clearly, he had second thoughts about the tweet, though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: