-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Scott Bennett discussion thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott Bennett discussion thread  (Read 160911 times)
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2016, 08:21:53 PM »

I think (and hope) that the statement on bw.com will put the kibosh on any media inquiries.  

I hope that the victim receives all the help she needs to work through this and recover, and that it helps her to know that justice will be served. 

It is almost guaranteed the victim will be suing Bennett and the hotel for substantial damages.   That will be another element of justice.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2016, 08:24:23 PM »

NOT Sam Cooke.  He was falsely accused, framed and murdered.

and even if people thing he might have, there is a complete lack of evidence on all accounts other than the shooter's. Whose accounts of his death comes across as quite flimsy and untrustworthy imo.

Scott's situation is a completely different thing entirely, with video and dna evidence.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2016, 08:29:11 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anAegJddmFo
Not that it's our business, but, in this interview with Scott, he says he is married.  Was this still the case at the time of the offense?
Makes is worse if there is a wife, and maybe kids as well involved in all of this. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2016, 08:32:23 PM »

Not that it's our business, but, in this interview with Scott, he says he is married.  Was this still the case at the time of the offense?
Makes is worse if there is a wife, and maybe kids as well involved in all of this. 
I understand that he has a lovely and very nice wife. I understand he has children with a former wife.
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2016, 08:37:37 PM »

Horrifying. To think the victim had no idea, and it was only the video that showed what happened. Sexual assault is devastatingly common. I think the statistic in the U.S. is that one in five women is sexually assaulted during college ALONE. That's a lot of rapists walking around out there. Violent criminals blend in and can seem perfectly wonderful and charming. And many rapists get away with it because authorities don't believe the victim, and/or the victim is too traumatized to tell anyone until there's no evidence left. And many victims are blamed because they wore revealing clothing or drank too much, putting the responsibility on them not to get raped, rather than the rapist not to rape.

I'm shocked about this, but sort of not shocked at the same time, sadly. My heart goes out to the victim.

I don't disagree with this post, but the one in five statistic is a myth.  The fact that it has been repeated by politicians who regularly lie does nothing to support its validity.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/campus-rape-myth-13061.html

http://time.com/3222543/5-feminist-myths-that-will-not-die/

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:40:44 PM by Competition Clutch » Logged
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2016, 09:10:43 PM »

We were friends on Facebook and he had posted pictures and glowing messages about his current wife plenty of times in the past. Today there is no sign of his account.

I am shocked and sad at this development. Certainly not sad for him, just for his fans, friends, and (most of all) the victim. 
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2016, 09:14:03 PM »

I can't find any information about when he was arrested, nor can I find anything that indicates that any details were made public until the conviction. There's no reason to assume that the BW camp didn't respond appropriately when they learned what happened.

http://www.rcsheriff.org/roster_view.php?booking_num=341374

He was booked April 2016 so Brian's probably did not know.

In one of the articles it said he was arrested the same day as the incident.

Here's the "docket sheet" regarding his case:  http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=264240&db=Rogers
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:26:09 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2016, 09:32:11 PM »

Must be very tough for the band at this time i'd imagine. (Certainly the victim most of all) How someone who's been apart of such, sweet life affirming music can stoop to that level is quite hard to wrap my head around.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2016, 10:44:58 PM »

He still toured last year and you do wonder if the group knew. Convenient the UK tour was cancelled.  Wink
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »

Crap this is horrible all around.  Lots of bad decisions to take life lessons from

1. If you're going to get drunk (both sides) do it around people you know and trust... or just don't do it at all, it's a horrible idea

2. Crazy wild sex with strangers you just met sometimes puts you in prison.  Buy your wife a wig instead

3. There's sick people everywhere hiding amongst us
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2016, 10:50:03 PM »

Horrifying. To think the victim had no idea, and it was only the video that showed what happened. Sexual assault is devastatingly common. I think the statistic in the U.S. is that one in five women is sexually assaulted during college ALONE. That's a lot of rapists walking around out there. Violent criminals blend in and can seem perfectly wonderful and charming. And many rapists get away with it because authorities don't believe the victim, and/or the victim is too traumatized to tell anyone until there's no evidence left. And many victims are blamed because they wore revealing clothing or drank too much, putting the responsibility on them not to get raped, rather than the rapist not to rape.

I'm shocked about this, but sort of not shocked at the same time, sadly. My heart goes out to the victim.

I don't disagree with this post, but the one in five statistic is a myth.  The fact that it has been repeated by politicians who regularly lie does nothing to support its validity.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/campus-rape-myth-13061.html

http://time.com/3222543/5-feminist-myths-that-will-not-die/

Both of the opinion pieces you cited take the position that it's not sexual assault unless it fits Todd Akin's definition of "legitimate rape."
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:53:33 PM by Emily » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2016, 10:53:09 PM »

They were possibly working to the principle of "innocent until proven guilty". Which to my mind was absolutely the way to go.

Without seeing the video (which Brian's management almost certainly never saw before the trial)... and with knowing Scott for so long, it would have been easy for him to explain it away by saying he met a woman, she was coming on to him, practically begged him to take her back to his room, then the next day cries rape. 

If your friend framed it that way, would you drop all association with them?   I probably wouldn't.  Once everything came out in trial though I'm sure all the acquaintances were shocked.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2016, 10:54:31 PM »

Crap this is horrible all around.  Lots of bad decisions to take life lessons from

1. If you're going to get drunk (both sides) do it around people you know and trust... or just don't do it at all, it's a horrible idea

2. Crazy wild sex with strangers you just met sometimes puts you in prison.  Buy your wife a wig instead

3. There's sick people everywhere hiding amongst us
ummm....
I think it's sandbox time.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2016, 11:01:56 PM »

It is almost guaranteed the victim will be suing Bennett and the hotel for substantial damages.   That will be another element of justice.

To be honest, she deserves a fortune, doesn't get more clean cut then "raped in the hallway on camera".  Hell the place may go bankrupt, who would ever stay there again?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2016, 11:15:44 PM »

Apparently there is still a lot of legal stuff going on with regard to this case particularly with regards to Scott's defence so I would suggest that discussion ceases on here about the case, at least until the 14th June when the court reconvenes.

He's been found guilty by a jury. Full stop.

Scott Bennett is a convicted rapist. That is now a fact.

The court will reconvene to formally sentence him, not to weigh in further on his responsibility.

Wirestone's absolutely right. Bennett is guilty as charged. That doesn't change, at least not for now. Prior to the trial he was innocent until proven guilty; then he was proven guilty.

What he did - and a jury has determined from the evidence presented to them from both sides that he did do what he was accused of - was appalling. He can appeal of course but until an appeal finds otherwise he is guilty.

Bloody tragic for all involved.

Speculation should cease. Speculation that an appeal might find him innocent is extremely unfair on the victim. Speculation that be might have committed other crimes is unfair on Bennett, despite this conviction. Speculation is needless and cannot be fair on those actually involved with or close to the case.

Again, I think this needs Sandboxing; any implication for the tour could be discussed in the tour thread. Or maybe the two threads could be merged, if they really are all about the tour and the implications for the tour.

Was/is Bennett a member here?

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2016, 11:46:05 PM »

Speculation should cease. Speculation that an appeal might find him innocent is extremely unfair on the victim. Speculation that be might have committed other crimes is unfair on Bennett, despite this conviction. Speculation is needless and cannot be fair on those actually involved with or close to the case.

Again, I think this needs Sandboxing; any implication for the tour could be discussed in the tour thread. Or maybe the two threads could be merged, if they really are all about the tour and the implications for the tour.

Completely agree about stopping speculation due to the myriad implications.  I would not like to see people get in trouble for the wrong reasons.

Whether the thread is general or in the Sandbox doesn't really make a difference.

Would like to add, y'all may recall Garry Griffin covered the NZ/AU leg (at least) and the band fcukin' rocked it Rock! Play on!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2016, 11:49:08 PM »

Crazy wild sex with strangers you just met sometimes puts you in prison.  Buy your wife a wig instead

The f*** is wrong with you? Maybe you're not trying to come off as sarcastic or whatever, but I just think this is in bad taste. A girl was raped. Not one part of this situation is something to make light of.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:57:37 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2016, 12:40:41 AM »

sweetdudejim, I don't think Ron meant it the way it was interpreted.  I think he was saying 'be careful', he was not to making 'fun' of the situation.
a lot of thoughts and opinions are going to come out of this, and we are all treadling on thin ice because of the severity of all of this.
Including myself  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:41:36 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2016, 12:48:45 AM »

SweetDudeJim, did you miss the part where I said people shouldn't have sex with strangers?  That kind of precludes this rape situation, doesn't it?  What the f*** is wrong with you?

I'll take my apology publicly. 
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2016, 12:50:20 AM »

I know it's no longer sub judice but the sentence hasn't yet taken place. It's inevitable it will be discussed among the fans but speculation about whether Scott Bennet had behaved this way before or whether Brian and the band knew is IMO completely indefensible. There is more than one victim here. Scott's wife, family, friends, Brian and his band have all been affected by this and need our consideration.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2016, 12:52:54 AM »

I know it's no longer sub judice but the sentence hasn't yet taken place. It's inevitable it will be discussed among the fans but speculation about whether Scott Bennet had behaved this way before or whether Brian and the band knew is IMO completely indefensible. There is more than one victim here. Scott's wife, family, friends, Brian and his band have all been affected by this and need our consideration.

that's all true Ang, but keep in mind that the fans all had a pretty spiritual connection to Scott as of ... a couple hours ago, so everybody posting and commenting is a way folks are dealing with their own shock and confusion about what happened.  People are going to talk when they find out a musician they loved is a violent rapist.  
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2016, 01:28:37 AM »

SweetDudeJim, did you miss the part where I said people shouldn't have sex with strangers?  That kind of precludes this rape situation, doesn't it?  What the f*** is wrong with you?

I'll take my apology publicly. 
I agree with Sweet Dude Jim that to call rape 'crazy wild sex with strangers' is really, really off.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2016, 01:33:16 AM »

that's all true Ang, but keep in mind that the fans all had a pretty spiritual connection to Scott as of ... a couple hours ago, so everybody posting and commenting is a way folks are dealing with their own shock and confusion about what happened.  People are going to talk when they find out a musician they loved is a violent rapist.  

I agree that people are bound to talk but it should be handled sensitively and without the speculation.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2016, 01:53:57 AM »

1. Flabbergasted.

2. Re BW press statement-- totally correct. The incident was not related to his musicianship nor part of his employment. A private life error.....but  as it happened in the band's hotel, it gives the media enough justification ( regrettably) to mention BW  and band.

Just so astonishing. Even our descriptions in this thread capture the guy I met, we met. Yes, he bummed drinks and cigarettes. He was a vivid character ( feel so sorry for his wife, a Brit btw)..........career totalled by this. Sorry for victim. An all around mess.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2016, 02:29:07 AM »

Horrible----as if the music world needed this too...

My sincere sympathy goes to those for whom this is close to home. But now it's time to move on. Please.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: