-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:49:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Scott Bennett discussion thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott Bennett discussion thread  (Read 162088 times)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 11:31:09 AM »

Damn, I am absolutely in shock over this.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2016, 11:31:41 AM »

Damn. Had he been touring with BW this year?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:32:07 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2016, 11:36:59 AM »

Reading this account, (much of the attack on video), is stomach turning and disgusting! He should be thrown in prison for the maximum allowable penalty!

My questions are when did Brian's camp know about this and why wasn't he immediately fired? Anybody know how many shows he played after his arrest?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2016, 11:38:17 AM »

I wonder if he's done this before.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2016, 11:41:20 AM »

Reading this account, (much of the attack on video), is stomach turning and disgusting! He should be thrown in prison for the maximum allowable penalty!

My questions are when did Brian's camp know about this and why wasn't he immediately fired? Anybody know how many shows he played after his arrest?

He was at the October/November tour last year. Looks like the last gig they did before the Pet Sounds shows this year was December 6th, last year.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2016, 11:42:53 AM »

Good question!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2016, 11:43:57 AM »

I can't find any information about when he was arrested, nor can I find anything that indicates that any details were made public until the conviction. There's no reason to assume that the BW camp didn't respond appropriately when they learned what happened.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2016, 11:47:17 AM »

He was at the October/November tour last year. Looks like the last gig they did before the Pet Sounds shows this year was December 6th, last year.

He should have been immediately sacked!  They had video of him publically assualting the woman! Somebody may have dropped the ball  in Brian's camp!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:08:57 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2016, 11:47:27 AM »

As far as anyone outside of the band is aware of, he was just a bit player who just happened to be in his band, nothing more, nothing less. But part of me assumes (hopes) that Brian might not even be aware of the implications of this. Since we know that Brian doesn't really use the internet, they might have decided not to tell him in case of causing him stress, particularly during a heavy touring schedule.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »

He should have been immediately sacked!  They had video of him publically assualting the woman! Somebody really dropped the ball  in Brian's camp!
I don't think it's a fair assumption that anyone in Brian's camp knew any details before the trial.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2016, 11:51:54 AM »

I think it's unlikely that someone starts behaving like this in his 50s.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2016, 11:54:39 AM »

I can't find any information about when he was arrested, nor can I find anything that indicates that any details were made public until the conviction. There's no reason to assume that the BW camp didn't respond appropriately when they learned what happened.

http://www.rcsheriff.org/roster_view.php?booking_num=341374

He was booked April 2016 so Brian's probably did not know.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:05:14 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »

The article said the police found her underwear in his room. So it is obviouss the police acted quite quickly and he was atleast detained at the time. There is a mug shot. No way the band didn't know as he couldn't leave the city.

That was hard to read. They probably knew he was arrested for sexual assault, or even for rape. They probably didn't know the evidence. I don't personally think it's right for employers to terminate someone's employ because they've been arrested. And some states, including California which I assume is where Brian Wilson's business is incorporated, forbid terminations based on an arrest until there's a conviction.
The lack of press probably indicates that the arresting report was not made public. They wouldn't have sent it privately to his employers. That would be illegal.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:02:02 PM by Emily » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2016, 12:02:03 PM »

I was going to post a topic about this earlier, but I wasn't sure whether this kind of territory is off limits or not. Hopefully this topic can stay and the conversation remain in the realm of rational thought.

But this is absolutely devastating. It's also tarnished That Lucky Old Sun quite a bit for me, of which I always thought he did an amazing job as a co-writer. Shockingly disappointing from someone who should have known better. The fact that he did this during one of Brian's tours makes my skin crawl.

Agreed.  It's going to be hard to listen to anything he co-wrote with Brian without thinking of this.  At least for a while anyway. I was really hoping they'd do another album together, as I think he's much better than Joe Thomas.  Just really disappointing news.  Embarrassed

I was really hoping that too. An album of songs along the lines of 'One Kind Of Love' would've been a classic. Scott's lyrics were always a perfect match with Brian's musical input, such a damn shame this happened. I think over time the sting of this incident will lessen, and the music will be enjoyable again, but it'll take a lot of time for sure.

@Add Some, most definitely. Thoughts and prayers go out to the victim in this.

Nice to see all the concern.  I for one think you, SamMcK, made the right decision not to post this earlier.  If we just had to know, a better place for it, would be in the Sandbox.  Obviously, Mr. Bennett won't be working with Brian anymore, no matter what... No more writing sessions, no more keyboard fills.  Let's leave this kind of news in the past.  Move forward.

...and now for your afternoon listening pleasure, a lovely rendition of "The Candy Man Can"  under construction  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:22:00 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2016, 12:02:25 PM »

I am in shock...I don't know what to say right now. I mean i let my daughter  near him. Please tell me this is a bad fucking dream

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »

I mean i let my daughter  near him.

Ugh. I'm so sorry.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2016, 12:03:51 PM »

Billy.... Sad

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2016, 12:07:06 PM »

I mean i let my daughter  near him.

Ugh. I'm so sorry.
He was booked April 2016

http://www.rcsheriff.org/roster_view.php?booking_num=341374

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2016, 12:11:56 PM »

I saw that. I'm assuming that was when he was booked into the local jail for the trial; not when he was arrested. There's no way it would've gone to trial that soon after an arrest.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »

I doubt that it will affect Brian Wilson's reputation. But it might have an effect on his frame of mind. Of course he must have known about this for at least a year or so. I've googled the heck out of it and can find no press mentions until just now. Kind of strange.

Not that strange Emily.  Some people go looking for just this kind of exclusive, you got from me first, crap.

I listen to TLOS at least every couple of weeks, watch the DVD often.  Won't change any of that for me.  Life gets in the way sometimes.  Do you stop playing some ones music when they die?

No, it's Saturday, my get drunk day of the week.  I will be listening to Brian and Scott tonight.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2016, 12:12:24 PM »

The incident took place in 2014, but he wasn't booked until 2016?

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2016, 12:17:33 PM »

This in indeed appalling and shocking news. It just goes to show that you can never know someone. I don't fault Brian and Melinda for keeping him on as long as they did. I'm sure he gave them a BS story and they had to take his word for it (in good faith) before the trial results.

Yes, our thoughts with the victim who fell prey to this despicable act.

In times like these, we do wonder how this affects us as fans. While at first it may be tough for some to listen to anything with Scott's lyrics, it should be noted that TLOS and the other tracks Scott collaborated on are first and foremost Brian's vision and Brian's voice. They may have been vetted through someone else, in this case someone who turned out to be a rapist, but they remain Brian's singular statement, and we can still appreciate that.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2016, 12:24:48 PM »

I am absolutely shocked and sickened after hearing the news about Scott. How could anyone with the talent that he has just absolutely throw everything away like this? Despite the awful news, I'm really just gonna try and keep the events for tarnishing my love for TLOS. It's like with Phil Spector. Try to remember his amazing contributions to music as opposed to the horrible crime he commited later on in his life.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2016, 12:27:49 PM »

So we're supposed to ignore the fact that he's a rapist, predator creep just because he wrote some good music? No thanks...

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2016, 12:30:24 PM »

So we're supposed to ignore the fact that he's a rapist, predator creep just because he wrote some good music? No thanks...

I think you are misunderstanding what he's saying.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: