-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Scott Bennett discussion thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott Bennett discussion thread  (Read 160920 times)
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2016, 10:18:39 AM »

Forgive me for spoiling your day if you hadn't heard about this already.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/former-keyboardist-for-brian-wilson-s-band-convicted-of-rape/article_80e34812-8f14-5ba2-a8f5-d45f1f22938f.html

(Note for posterity: This thread was originally titled "Extraordinarily disappointing news regarding Scott Bennett" but was subsequently renamed.  I remain extraordinarily disappointed.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:03:16 PM by Theydon Bois » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 10:26:42 AM »

Justice was served and a bad apple is out of the BW band.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 10:29:40 AM »

Wow, that's very shocking and sad.  Even if they were both drunk, he should know better. 
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 10:32:40 AM »

I was going to post a topic about this earlier, but I wasn't sure whether this kind of territory is off limits or not. Hopefully this topic can stay and the conversation remain in the realm of rational thought.

But this is absolutely devastating. It's also tarnished That Lucky Old Sun quite a bit for me, of which I always thought he did an amazing job as a co-writer. Shockingly disappointing from someone who should have known better. The fact that he did this during one of Brian's tours makes my skin crawl.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 10:34:46 AM »

I can't believe this happened. I am shocked. Scott took this poor woman somewhere quiet.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:46:27 AM by Mendota Heights » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 10:35:37 AM »

Yeah this is shocking as hell...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 10:36:21 AM »

I'm very unhappy this happened and very unhappy that BW's name is linked to it in the headline.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »

I know attorneys have to do what they have to do, but given the description of the video, a retrial sounds like a pointless effort. Horrible.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »

It's extremely disheartening that this was happening on Brian's tour, in the same building the band members were presumably staying in! Ugh..
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »

Very very sad indeed. Reminds me of the Cosby allegations in a way - where someone you kinda admire stoops to a pretty sick level. I'm hoping in time this won't tarnish my enjoyment of TLOS...I think right now this is definitely a dark cloud over that solo music. What a shame.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 10:42:17 AM »

Wow. Very sad indeed.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 10:42:50 AM »

I was going to post a topic about this earlier, but I wasn't sure whether this kind of territory is off limits or not. Hopefully this topic can stay and the conversation remain in the realm of rational thought.

But this is absolutely devastating. It's also tarnished That Lucky Old Sun quite a bit for me, of which I always thought he did an amazing job as a co-writer. Shockingly disappointing from someone who should have known better. The fact that he did this during one of Brian's tours makes my skin crawl.

Agreed.  It's going to be hard to listen to anything he co-wrote with Brian without thinking of this.  At least for a while anyway.  I was really hoping they'd do another album together, as I think he's much better than Joe Thomas.  Just really disappointing news.  Embarrassed
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »

I was actually getting ready to download the Lucky Old Sun demos when I came across the news. I'm not sure i'll actually be able to listen to them now, considering his level of involvement in the project. What an absolute waste of a great musicians talents.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 10:45:39 AM »

Shocking, sad, disappointing, cruel, wrong...Everybody loses...no exceptions.  This is just horrible news.  ESPECIALLY for the victim.  Let's NOT forget about the victim.

Booze...in the long run?  It's NO one's friend.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 10:45:50 AM »

It's extremely disheartening that this was happening on Brian's tour, in the same building the band members were presumably staying in! Ugh..

I would think they knew about this.  Before the Pet Sounds Tour began, they announced Billy Hinsche would be part of the tour in some way.  I guess now we know why.  
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 10:51:03 AM »

Shocking, sad, disappointing, cruel, wrong...Everybody loses...no exceptions.  This is just horrible news.  ESPECIALLY for the victim.  Let's NOT forget about the victim.

Booze is no excuse really. Alcohol can make people do ridiculous things, but there's absolutely NO EXCUSING something so twisted as this is.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 10:53:37 AM »

I would think they knew about this.  Before the Pet Sounds Tour began, they announced Billy Hinsche would be part of the tour in some way.  I guess now we know why.  

And apparently he was arrested on the same day as the incident, December 5, 2014.  Can't believe this news hasn't hit the board (and the mainstream public) before this, especially in this day and age.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 10:55:03 AM »

Agreed.  It's going to be hard to listen to anything he co-wrote with Brian without thinking of this.  At least for a while anyway.  I was really hoping they'd do another album together, as I think he's much better than Joe Thomas.  Just really disappointing news.  Embarrassed

I was really hoping that too. An album of songs along the lines of 'One Kind Of Love' would've been a classic. Scott's lyrics were always a perfect match with Brian's musical input, such a damn shame this happened. I think over time the sting of this incident will lessen, and the music will be enjoyable again, but it'll take a lot of time for sure.

@Add Some, most definitely. Thoughts and prayers go out to the victim in this.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 10:57:37 AM »

Booze is no excuse really. Alcohol can make people do ridiculous things, but there's absolutely NO EXCUSING something so twisted as this is.

Ahhh...but it IS.  The victim was sloshed.  No excuse BUT she wasn't able to lookout for her own well being.  If she'd been sober this likely wouldn't have happened because she wouldn't have let it.  Not her fault.  Just a fact.  Perhaps Scott might have thought twice too.  We'll never know.  But to let booze off as if it played no part in this is what?  Way too politically correct for me.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 11:03:28 AM »

I think Add Some was referring to her drinking, not his. It is awful, but true, that it's unsafe to be vulnerable. Frankly, drunk women are frequent targets of predators and it's enraging to live your life feeling that you are to expect assault if you let your guard down and if it happens, some people will blame you for drinking as much as they will blame the predator for the assault. But Add Some is right that that's the world we live in.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 11:06:42 AM »

Ahhh...but it IS.  The victim was sloshed.  No excuse BUT she wasn't able to lookout for her own well being.  If she'd been sober this likely wouldn't have happened because she wouldn't have let it.  Not her fault.  Just a fact.  Perhaps Scott might have thought twice too.  We'll never know.  But to let booze off as if it played no part in this is what?  Way too politically correct for me.

I think you're both right in this case. Yes, had she not been drinking this may not have taken place, so alcohol did play a factor in that. However, every human being has the absolute right to enjoy their evening drinking alcohol without being preyed upon and taken advantage of. Alcohol can lead to disastrous situations, but I fully agree with SamMcK that it should not be an excuse for what Scott did.

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 11:07:58 AM »

Shocking, sad, disappointing, cruel, wrong...Everybody loses...no exceptions.  This is just horrible news.  ESPECIALLY for the victim.  Let's NOT forget about the victim.

Booze...in the long run?  It's NO one's friend.

Ahhh...but it IS.  The victim was sloshed.  No excuse BUT she wasn't able to lookout for her own well being.  If she'd been sober this likely wouldn't have happened because she wouldn't have let it.  Not her fault.  Just a fact.  Perhaps Scott might have thought twice too.  We'll never know.  But to let booze off as if it played no part in this is what?  Way too politically correct for me.

Excuse me, as Emily said. I think I read your post wrong.

But the worrying thing for me is that the victim stated having no memory of Scott all the night before. So it's pretty heinous of him to take advantage considering the state she was presumably in. Particularly in such a horrific and tacky manner.

I mean, this is pretty damning:

The video ends with the man leaving the woman in a seventh-floor hallway ‘like a sack of trash’, Singer said.
“It is clear from watching the video that the victim is extreamly (sic) intoxicated and is unaware of her surroundings,” a Catoosa police officer wrote in the affidavit. “The subject however appears to be in complete control of his faculties.”
The woman told police the following morning that she didn’t remember anything and that she didn’t recall interacting with Bennett.

Unfortunately The Daily Mail has written an article around this, and YES, Brian's name is linked to it.. Undecided
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:09:11 AM by SamMcK » Logged
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 11:12:24 AM »

Okay, i'm not going to link to that vile website, but this makes me VERY angry to see Brian's name and picture used like this:

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 11:21:36 AM »

I wonder how this is going to effect Brian's projects.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 11:26:35 AM »

I doubt that it will affect Brian Wilson's reputation. But it might have an effect on his frame of mind. Of course he must have known about this for at least a year or so. I've googled the heck out of it and can find no press mentions until just now. Kind of strange.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: