-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:15:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Put a Beatle in The BBs + a BB in The Beatles
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Put a Beatle in The BBs + a BB in The Beatles  (Read 10116 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2016, 04:15:38 PM »

If for some reason, maybe losing a bet or something... in the 1960s, for let's say a year, a Beach Boy member had to join The Beatles (either in place of a Beatle, or by augmenting the full group), and a Beatles member had to join The BBs (either in place of a BB, or by augmenting the full group), what would be the results?

I guess we already have a brief glimpse of a Beatle joining in place of a BB during the 1980s (Ringo filling in on drums for California Calling, shortly after Denny's passing). But what about during the bands' glory years? What would The Beatles have done with Mike? What would The BBs have done with George? The possibilities are interesting to ponder.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:33:49 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:35:07 PM »

I think the Beatle that would most fit in the BB's would be Paul.

I guess Carl could replace Paul?
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 04:37:43 PM »

Im sorry, but I think these theoretical topics that have been popping up are ridiculous and a waste of time. Are we just out of pertinent things and real subjects to talk about?
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 04:46:02 PM »

agreed gerry.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 04:59:25 PM »

Let's do The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones instead.

First, the obvious: Mike Love for Mick Jagger.

Then: Al Jardine for Bill Wyman.

Bruce Johnston for Ron Wood.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 05:01:32 PM »

Im sorry, but I think these theoretical topics that have been popping up are ridiculous and a waste of time. Are we just out of pertinent things and real subjects to talk about?

Geez. Sorry. If you don't dig the topic, feel free to move along to the next topic... nobody is forcing anybody to read or reply.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 05:42:41 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 06:48:30 PM »

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:21:27 AM by sockittome » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 07:43:20 PM »

The Beatles wouldn't need Dennis if they still had Ringo, so...
the two bands swap drummers....Friends now features "Don't Pass Me By", 20/20 includes "Octopus' Garden". The Beatles get to do "Be Still" and the Manson song on the white album - right after "Helter Skelter".
Or...
during the Let it Be sessions, when George is bickering with Paul, "i'll play whatever you want me to play", Paul says "I'd like you to play with the Beach Boys", and the Fab Four get Carl. Carl, being the peacekeeper he is, tries to bridge the widening gap between Paul and John, but even Carl's patience is tested when Yoko stars squalling during "I Can Hear Music" and "Get Back".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 07:56:44 PM »

the two bands swap drummers....Friends now features "Don't Pass Me By", 20/20 includes "Octopus' Garden". The Beatles get to do "Be Still" and the Manson song on the white album - right after "Helter Skelter".
Or...
during the Let it Be sessions, when George is bickering with Paul, "i'll play whatever you want me to play", Paul says "I'd like you to play with the Beach Boys", and the Fab Four get Carl. Carl, being the peacekeeper he is, tries to bridge the widening gap between Paul and John, but even Carl's patience is tested when Yoko stars squalling during "I Can Hear Music" and "Get Back".

Could either Dennis or Mike even exist within The Beatles? In terms of personality, I mean.

If either of them were added to The Beatles, would their personalities and different work ethic (when compared to The Beatles) rub The Beatles the wrong way? If Pete Best got the axe (in part) due to being too attractive to the ladies, how would Dennis fare?

And for that matter, could John's personality and radical ideas exist within The Beach Boys? What would John do if Mike questioned him about lyrics?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 07:58:59 PM »

Carl to the Beatles.   Paul to the Beach Boys.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 08:22:03 PM »

Or...

Could either Dennis or Mike even exist within The Beatles? In terms of personality, I mean.

If either of them were added to The Beatles, would their personalities and different work ethic (when compared to The Beatles) rub The Beatles the wrong way? If Pete Best got the axe (in part) due to being too attractive to the ladies, how would Dennis fare?

And for that matter, could John's personality and radical ideas exist within The Beach Boys? What would John do if Mike questioned him about lyrics?
I think the Pete Best was too attractive thing is a myth.
I would love to see the effects of embedding John Lennon in the Beach Boys. That would've shaked things up!
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 03:26:59 AM »

Geez. Sorry. If you don't dig the topic, feel free to move along to the next topic... nobody is forcing anybody to read or reply.

No kidding!

"This post is so ridiculous, I'm going to stop and let you know just how ridiculous it is. Because my opinion is important to you".

How about instead of complaining, people come up with a "better" topic? One that isn't, you know, ridiculous and a waste of time.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 04:23:23 AM »

I rather like the idea of simply moving Mike to The Beatles. Then they could swap anecdotes about their time in Rishikesh while the Boys continued to make great music as a quartet with external lyricists.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 05:08:47 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 04:45:43 AM »

Or...

Yes, definitely a myth. The Beatles were a hive mind and if you didn't have the right personality you were tossed. Same clothes, same hair, same music tastes, same drink, same drug, same sense of humour, etc etc. That's why they eventually broke up because as they matured, they began having their own independent and individual interests. In other bands that might be okay but not in The Beatles. In that sense, it would be quite difficult for a Beach Boy to join the band. I can't see any of them having the right personality but maybe...Carl? Meanwhile Paul or John would have dominated Brian in The Beach Boys because that was their personality. Ringo would be an interesting addition but I'm not sure what the band would do with both Ringo and Dennis. So maybe send George and give The Beach Boys a bit of a rockabilly flavour. Throw in a first round draft pick too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:47:48 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
KDS
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 05:17:02 AM »

Or...

I would love to see the effects of embedding John Lennon in the Beach Boys. That would've shaked things up!

How about swapping Mike and John.

Imagine Brian Wilson music with John Lennon lyrics? 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 06:14:33 AM »

Who cares about the lyrics anyway? The BBs' strength is the music. I never understood people whining about a song that they don't like because it has bad lyrics. Big deal.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 06:17:12 AM »

Who cares about the lyrics anyway? The BBs' strength is the music. I never understood people whining about a song that they don't like because it has bad lyrics. Big deal.

I agree with you to an extent.  It's the music that draws you in.  Great lyrics are pointless if there's no tune around it. 
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 07:47:08 AM »

You know, this really isn't pointless. It can lead to some insightful discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of both groups.

I would swap Paul into the Beach Boys rather than John. One of the difficulties, I think, that Brian had in the Pet Sounds/Smile era was feeling a certain intimidation from Mike. As bad a Mike was, John would be worse, ego wise. Yes, I know the story about John meeting Brian, but that's a bit of rare sensitivity on John's part, I imagine.

Paul would be capable of more insightful lyrics than Mike, but without the intimidation factor. Plus, John veered more toward political and social statement, and I'm not sure that's where Brian's head was.

I would definitely give Mike to the Beatles then sit back and watch the fireworks.
KDS
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 07:57:18 AM »

You know, this really isn't pointless. It can lead to some insightful discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of both groups.

I would swap Paul into the Beach Boys rather than John. One of the difficulties, I think, that Brian had in the Pet Sounds/Smile era was feeling a certain intimidation from Mike. As bad a Mike was, John would be worse, ego wise. Yes, I know the story about John meeting Brian, but that's a bit of rare sensitivity on John's part, I imagine.

Paul would be capable of more insightful lyrics than Mike, but without the intimidation factor. Plus, John veered more toward political and social statement, and I'm not sure that's where Brian's head was.

I would definitely give Mike to the Beatles then sit back and watch the fireworks.

I do agree that Paul would be a better fit with Brian.  I think that Paul, like Brian, is gifted musically, but no so much lyrically. 

But I think John wouldn't worked well with Brian too, at least until Yoko came into his life.  John seemed to be much more sensitive then.  I also think John was more willing to progress than Mike was, so John would've been a good ally when Brian was putting together Smile.  And I think John would've supplied better lyrics than Van Dyke. 

If Mike joined The Beatles, he'd pair up with George.  They're Pisces brothers after all. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 09:36:04 AM »

I think Paul is much too controlling in the studio. More than Lennon. Brian would be smothered. In terms of Brian getting by to shine, George is the best option.
Brian and Paul are in some ways too similar.
But I agree with KDS about John.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:37:36 AM by Emily » Logged
KDS
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »

I think Paul is much too controlling in the studio. More than Lennon. Brian would be smothered. In terms of Brian getting by to shine, George is the best option.

Yeah, I could see that too. 

My only concern with George joining the BB would be that his talent as a guitarist would be wasted.  When Brian really started to flourish in the mid 60s, the Boys weren't exactly a guitar driven group.  Take away Sgt Pepper / MMT, and the Beatles pretty much remained a guitar driven band. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 09:52:10 AM »

My only concern with George joining the BB would be that his talent as a guitarist would be wasted.  When Brian really started to flourish in the mid 60s, the Boys weren't exactly a guitar driven group.  Take away Sgt Pepper / MMT, and the Beatles pretty much remained a guitar driven band. 

But George could have slayed on Student Demonstration Time, right? Right?
KDS
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »

But George could have slayed on Student Demonstration Time, right? Right?

Yeah, you have some outliers like that, It's About Time, Bluebirds Over the Mountain, etc.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 09:59:24 AM »

My only concern with George joining the BB would be that his talent as a guitarist would be wasted.  When Brian really started to flourish in the mid 60s, the Boys weren't exactly a guitar driven group.  Take away Sgt Pepper / MMT, and the Beatles pretty much remained a guitar driven band.  
Nah. That's a good point. And your point about John being really experimental right at the same time is good. But he also was not interested in orchestrating. He deferred to Martin on that. So, I'm going with John. He would've been an enthusiastic sounding-board but wouldn't have tried to take the reins.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:00:09 AM by Emily » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 10:11:43 AM »

Toe be fair though, I don't think George became a really good guitarist until 1969 as The Beatles were falling apart and I would say that he never became a great guitarist. He did have a nice style though that, of course, worked very well with The Beatles.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: