gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:01:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scenario: Let's say you get a time machine and travel back to about 1965..  (Read 5480 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 09:54:30 AM »

Sneak Ahmet Ertegun into the audio while it was being recorded. Get him to work his magic to move the band to Atlantic.

Good idea. 

Would it be wrong to try to get a date with Jane Asher while in the 60s?  She might be looking for a rebound after Paul.   Grin
Whoa, out of the blue you show that you can pick out the awesomest woman in a crowd. They haven't broken up yet, but you can probably spare her some stress by hurrying that along.

Yep.  Loved her in Masque of the Red Death.  Quite the looker. 

I'll just tell her that Paul's writing songs like You Won't See Me and For No One, so the writing's on the wall. 

Grin
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 11:12:12 AM »

Fire Mike Love Put on a non stop assault of magazine adverts declaring the album to be the greatest piece of music since Rhapsody In Blue.

NO! Don't cross that out!! If only they had.

Love is here, today then he's gone, tomorrow he's back, then gone at last!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 11:22:10 AM »

Fire Mike Love Put on a non stop assault of magazine adverts declaring the album to be the greatest piece of music since Rhapsody In Blue.

NO! Don't cross that out!! If only they had.

Love is here, today then he's gone, tomorrow he's back, then gone at last!

LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »

Not sure about what to do about Heroes & Villians.  I'd recommend to Brian that he collaborate with the Beach Boys only for the album following Pet Sounds, following the template set by Good Vibrations - experimental music, mildly psychedelic, but relatable, with Mike Love lyrics.  Backing tracks a mix of BB plus session folk.  A growth for the whole band.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 08:10:03 PM »

I think a lot of what is accepted about PS and BotBB is wrong.

Pet Sounds was just reaching its peak when BotBB was released and was still on the rise as far as Capitol could have known, so Capitol couldn't have released BotBB in reaction to poor PS sales it seems.

Pet Sounds had already rounded over at #10 almost a month before BotBB even broke into the Top 100 and when BotBB broke above #10  PS actually took a bump up of 7 points over the next 3 weeks, so it does not seem to have hurt PS's sales. BotBB might have even been what kept PS in the Top 40 until November 5 when even BotBB had fallen to #27.

I also think our thinking about Capitol's intentions with BotBB is also wrong. How could BotBB be Capitol's show of no confidence in a career that had a current album rising up to #10 preceded by previous albums at #6, #2, #4, and a current #3 single preceded by several Top 10 singles including a #2 and their second #1? Nik Venet told Gaines "You've got to understand that Brian was so impulsive, compulsive, you never knew what was coming next." "The 'Best of' package was put together while Brian was working on PS. There was a great love at the time of Beach Boys product. ... There were [salesmen] out there that could sell Beach Boys product and the [customers] were asking for it. The Pet Sounds album was supposed to be ready a long time before, and it wasn't going to be ready. The whole company was geared up to the 'best of' package. Everything had been locked in, magazine advertising, the separations for the cover had been printed and stacked in a warehouse."

PS had 4 singles in rotation and on the charts. It had 4 page ads in the trades. It seems to have gotten plenty of promotion; maybe as much, possibly more, as any other BB's album.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:28:29 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 08:28:03 PM »

I think a lot of what is accepted about PS and BotBB is wrong.

Pet Sounds was just reaching its peak when BotBB was released and was still on the rise as far as Capitol could have known, so Capitol couldn't have released BotBB in reaction to poor PS sales it seems.

Pet Sounds had already rounded over at #10 almost a month before BotBB even broke into the Top 100 and when BotBB broke above #10  PS actually took a bump up of 7 points over the next 3 weeks, so it does not seem to have hurt PS's sales. BotBB might have even been what kept PS in the Top 40 until November 5 when even BotBB had fallen to #27.

I also think our thinking about Capitol's intentions with BotBB is also wrong. How could BotBB be Capitol's show of no confidence in a career that had a current album rising up to #10 preceded by previous albums at #6, #2, #1 and a current #3 single preceded by several Top 10 singles including a #2 and their second #1? Nik Venet told Gaines "You've got to understand that Brian was so impulsive, compulsive, you never knew what was coming next." "The 'Best of' package was put together while Brian was working on PS. There was a great love at the time of Beach Boys product. ... There were [salesmen] out there that could sell Beach Boys product and the [customers] were asking for it. The Pet Sounds album was supposed to be ready a long time before, and it wasn't going to be ready. The whole company was geared up to the 'best of' package. Everything had been locked in, magazine advertising, the separations for the cover had been printed and stacked in a warehouse."

PS had 4 singles in rotation and on the charts. It had 4 page ads in the trades. It seems to have gotten plenty of promotion; maybe as much, possibly more, as any other BB's album.
I've seen you mention this before, Cam, but I appreciate you explaining it in full here. I've never seen full evidence of Capitol intentionally neglecting Pet Sounds, promotionally.  You make a good case that they didn't.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 08:32:19 PM »

Thanks.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2016, 06:51:04 AM »

Not be so greedy for an extra dollar and restrain ourselves from releasing Pet Sounds in Duophonic.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx