gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:57:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scenario: Let's say you get a time machine and travel back to about 1965..  (Read 5518 times)
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2016, 02:50:32 PM »

And let's also say you end up with a pretty high position in Capitol Record's PR department. What sort of things would you have your PR department do and would would you suggest The Beach Boys themselves do to give Pet Sounds a much higher chance of being the #1 seller it should have been in '66?

While I'm at it: What efforts do you think you, your PR department and The Beach Boys would need to make to virtually ensure Heroes & Villains as a #1 single?

All within legal non-shady as possible bounds, please.  LOL
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 03:02:39 PM »

kidnap the beatles

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »

I would probably suggest not publicizing well in the US and let fellow musicians and respected critics rave about it. This hopefully would lead to ongoing sales for many years and who knows, maybe even have the album toured live someday. In other words...Brilliant PR!

Seriously though. Have any names ever been associated to the decision not to promote?
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:26:28 PM »

Just a few thoughts:

The PR effort should be focused on establishing a "Cool" factor.  Hindsight being 20/20, in less than two years from our time travel arrival in 1965, the Boys would become ostracized and wind up on the outside looking in as a new group of hipsters takes over (i.e., "You'll Never Hear Surf Music Again.")

There are some photos of Brian hanging out on the Sunset Strip during this burgeoning hip scene in 1965.  ALL of the Boys need to get in on that scene, shed the striped shirts, and start hanging out with the cool people.  Bring in Derek Taylor earlier, and do not adopt the "Brian is everything and the Boys are his followers" attitude.  Get the whole band in on the PR machine. 

A concerted effort should be made to expand the touring group to include extra musicians so that the more complicated and multi-instrumental songs can be played on stage, and prevent the unfortunate limitations of the group playing their older work in an age where the music was expanding along with everyone's consciousness.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:51:18 PM »

Maybe change the title of the album and the album cover.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 04:59:06 PM »

Fire Mike Love Put on a non stop assault of magazine adverts declaring the album to be the greatest piece of music since Rhapsody In Blue.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 06:53:02 PM »

As a Capitol suit, I'd tell Brian:
a. to go easy on the hard stuff.
b. to not make a future trip to the zoo for some pictures... but rather to use my avatar photo (not yet taken) for the album cover (although I'm not sure when it was taken), because it's a much cooler photo.
c. I'd tell my fellow Capitol suits that in 50 years, many people are going to be proclaiming Pet Sounds as the best album ever... so lets's promote it like there's no tomorrow, to give the Beach Boys a tomorrow.
d. that him and this guy named Van Dyke Parks were going to write this amazing album together called SMiLE and that it was really, really, really important that he finish it in the spring of 1967, and to not worry and obsess so much over Heroes and Villains, etc. I'd plead with him to not listen to the naysayers. I would also bring with me some modern editing software and computers, etc., to assist him with this future project.

When I came back to the present, I would then check the music charts, and see that both Pet Sounds and SMiLE were number 1 albums, and the Beach Boys, not the Beatles, are heralded as the greatest band ever. I would also issue an in-person apology to Lewis Shiner... who would look at me funny and walk away.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:12:01 PM by Misterlou » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »

b. to not make a future trip to the zoo for some pictures... but rather to use my avatar photo (not yet taken) for the album cover (although I'm not sure when it was taken), because it's a much cooler photo.

No offense, but that photo would be a much worse cover photo than what they used.

Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »

No offense, but that photo would be a much worse cover photo than what they used.
No offense, but I completely disagree.
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 08:11:18 PM »

No offense, but I completely disagree.

I still think it's a neat photo, just wouldn't work for the album.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 04:17:06 AM »

Perhaps not undermine Pet Sounds by releasing a Best of compilation just for starters.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 04:36:15 AM »

Perhaps not undermine Pet Sounds by releasing a Best of compilation just for starters.

The best idea yet.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 05:51:18 AM »

This topic reminds me a lot of the book "Glimpses" by Lewis Shiner, where the protagonist travels back in time to help Brian help finish SMiLE. Unfortunately, the album is a commercial failure, the group ditches Brian, Marilyn leaves him, and then he just fall into his pool and dies. So, I'd obviously try to prevent, you know, that.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
KDS
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 05:54:28 AM »

While I'm in 1965, can I take some money and put it in stocks for IBM or Apple?  Or even just a high interest savings account?

On the BB front, have them on Sullivan and any TV show promoting the songs from PS. 

But, I wouldn't want to tamper too much and risk myself not being born. 

Shocked
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 07:55:15 AM »

Two things:

1. Tell the Capitol suits to give the album time. It's not going to be an out-of-the-box smash like their other releases. Keep promoting it and do NOT put out a best-of to undercut things (as Ang Jones mentioned).

2. Closely related to No. 1: Don't put God Only Knows as a B-side to Wouldn't It Be Nice. In the theme of  the album being a "grower" and not a smash, let Wouldn't It Be Nice have its run on the charts, pushing the album up, then put God Only Knows out on its own (with heavy promotion) to keep the album sales going.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 08:03:56 AM »

Two things:

1. Tell the Capitol suits to give the album time. It's not going to be an out-of-the-box smash like their other releases. Keep promoting it and do NOT put out a best-of to undercut things (as Ang Jones mentioned).

2. Closely related to No. 1: Don't put God Only Knows as a B-side to Wouldn't It Be Nice. In the theme of  the album being a "grower" and not a smash, let Wouldn't It Be Nice have its run on the charts, pushing the album up, then put God Only Knows out on its own (with heavy promotion) to keep the album sales going.
Absolutely.
KDS
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 08:10:15 AM »

I might've pushed Here Today a little more. 

With the exception of Wouldn't It Be Nice, Here Today probably sounds more like the "Beach Boys Sound" that US record buyers were going for in 1966. 

Can I also have somebody from Capital tell John Lennon to stay home on Dec 8, 1980?  Or would that rip a hole in the fabric of time? 

Maybe tell Carl to lay off the cigarettes. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 08:11:22 AM »

With the exception of Wouldn't It Be Nice, Here Today probably sounds more like the "Beach Boys Sound" that US record buyers were going for in 1966. 

Can I also have somebody from Capital tell John Lennon to stay home on Dec 8, 1980?  Or would that rip a hole in the fabric of time? 

Yes, please do both of the latter two.
KDS
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 08:22:40 AM »

Done.  Bring me my DeLorean.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 08:29:52 AM »

It'll be there in the morning. Give Dennis a good talking-to while you're at it.
KDS
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 08:39:02 AM »

It'll be there in the morning. Give Dennis a good talking-to while you're at it.

Good idea. 

While I'm in the mid 60s, I'm going to be buying a lot of records and selling them for a premium in 2016. 

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 08:57:56 AM »

Sneak Ahmet Ertegun into the audio while it was being recorded. Get him to work his magic to move the band to Atlantic.
KDS
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 09:42:13 AM »

Sneak Ahmet Ertegun into the audio while it was being recorded. Get him to work his magic to move the band to Atlantic.

Good idea. 

Would it be wrong to try to get a date with Jane Asher while in the 60s?  She might be looking for a rebound after Paul.   Grin
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 09:48:12 AM »

Good idea. 

Would it be wrong to try to get a date with Jane Asher while in the 60s?  She might be looking for a rebound after Paul.   Grin
Whoa, out of the blue you show that you can pick out the awesomest woman in a crowd. They haven't broken up yet, but you can probably spare her some stress by hurrying that along.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 09:50:44 AM »

Fire Mike Love Put on a non stop assault of magazine adverts declaring the album to be the greatest piece of music since Rhapsody In Blue.

NO! Don't cross that out!! If only they had.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx