gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:48:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EYE , November 1968  (Read 6138 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2016, 04:59:42 AM »

EYE was a short-lived magazine from the Hearst Corporation, lasted a year and a half. What do you think of this cover? One of the last of Mike without a cap? What's all that smarmy hugging about? What do you think of the photo, how does it figure in the context of that period in the band's career?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:01:08 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 05:26:05 AM »

Not to discourage you from posting cool stuff-but if you look in the Media section this was posted a long time ago.  Still it is an amazing cover!! Wow-talk about a fashion disaster!!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 06:14:39 AM »

I like the hugging pose because it's different -- not the usual staged photo pose. The ice cream suits, not so much....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:15:20 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 06:43:50 AM »

Not to discourage you from posting cool stuff-but if you look in the Media section this was posted a long time ago.  Still it is an amazing cover!! Wow-talk about a fashion disaster!!

Sorry for the repeat, that's what I get for not checking in regularly. You guys leve no stone unturned, it's hard to find stuff that hasn't been covered here already!  Smiley
I am a bit ambivalent about the cover, on the one hand it's good fun, but it's also a bit unctuous, I think, even if ironic. From a period when Brian stayed away from most publicity shots.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:44:33 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:51:27 AM »

Not to discourage you from posting cool stuff-but if you look in the Media section this was posted a long time ago.  Still it is an amazing cover!! Wow-talk about a fashion disaster!!

Sorry for the repeat, that's what I get for not checking in regularly. You guys leve no stone unturned, it's hard to find stuff that hasn't been covered here already!  Smiley
I am a bit ambivalent about the cover, on the one hand it's good fun, but it's also a bit unctuous, I think, even if ironic. From a period when Brian stayed away from most publicity shots.

Still a cool pic, if it's a re-bump, thanks for posting!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 07:24:53 AM »

A great picture.  People dressed like that in 1968.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 07:51:28 AM »

There was a similar "Dandy" fashion going on in the UK at that time.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:57:16 AM »

More than likely the photographer asked them to get huggy: a good snapper would know the best composition/shape for that title that left space for masthead, cover lines, price details (and these days a barcode…). I wouldn't read too much into the apparent chumminess! Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 08:01:08 AM »

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:02:38 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 08:01:48 AM »

More than likely the photographer asked them to get huggy: a good snapper would know the best composition/shape for that title that left space for masthead, cover lines, price details (and these days a barcode…). I wouldn't read too much into the apparent chumminess! Smiley

It's not often seen, though, remember the (in)famous Montrose album cover, bare-chested men getting chummy:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:03:21 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 08:08:01 AM »

Bought this when it came out and in 68 there wasn't much being written about the group. They'd hit the bottom with the Smile debacle, the disastrous Smiley Smile, and the ridiculous maharishi  ::)episode. It wasn't easy time being a fan with so many rejecting their albums and live appearances. I saw them several times between 67 and 69 and they were very good.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »

It's not often seen, though, remember the (in)famous Montrose album cover, bare-chested men getting chummy:

That's one for the great album / terrible cover list. 

That list would likely feature a BB release or two. 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 08:11:28 AM »

Bought this when it came out and in 68 there wasn't much being written about the group.

Me too.  Was this the one with the feature article about Brian being a genius who was deaf in one ear? It doesn't look like it is.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 10:10:51 AM »

A great picture.  People dressed like that in 1968.
Yes, indeed!  Wink
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 10:28:57 AM »

Or the art director -- spot on, John!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 10:56:08 AM »

If Brian had participated in this photo session, where do y'all think he'd have been positioned within the pic? Would he have been one of the huggees in the middle? Or one of the outer huggers on the outside of the group? Or would he have just been standing off to the side?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 11:17:04 AM »

Cripes, one scary cover! Was it artistically brave to obscure the artists' faces with type or just a piss-poor decision?!

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 07:09:20 PM »

That Montrose cover is nothing compared to this Orleans album.  Ahhh, the 1970s.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:09:48 PM by Shane » Logged
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 07:14:10 PM »

That Montrose cover is nothing compared to this Orleans album.  Ahhh, the 1970s.

yeah, that was the other example I had in mind!  Cheesy But I couldn't remember the band's name! Thanks!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 11:43:46 PM »

Nothing to do with anything, it's just always fun to have an excuse to put this out there.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 11:51:32 PM »

Nothing to do with anything, it's just always fun to have an excuse to put this out there.

I really appreciate that. Especially at breakfast! Sad

CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 05:06:50 AM »

Easily the most disturbing cover I've ever seen between the creepy vibe John Bult is giving off and the regretful, sad and scared look "Julie" is presenting.  Yikes.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 05:50:42 PM »

I wonder if she is a tomboy or if she roller skates?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 08:49:32 AM »

I like the hugging pose because it's different -- not the usual staged photo pose. The ice cream suits, not so much....
Agree with the 1st bit. I like goofy pics. With the last bit, I didn't know they're called "ice cream". To me, they look very stylish, down to the right choice of color for each. Or do I've bad sense of fashion?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 10:15:38 AM »

"Ice cream suits" is a fannish term for the brightly-colored suits. Actually, I like the color just fine, but not so much the fabric itself.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx