gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:51:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bubs & Judd Review No Pier Pressure  (Read 36016 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2016, 07:45:01 PM »

This was very entertaining.  I hope you guys will consider reviewing other albums.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »

You guys need to write a book.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2016, 08:37:14 PM »

This is basically how my friends and I discussed this record, as well as many, many other records...

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2016, 09:52:58 PM »

Ooh, do Going Public next!

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2016, 09:55:33 PM »

radio

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2016, 10:24:33 PM »

Uber wacky and zany with a splash of hunger games subtle anti thesaurus chic. Understated yet over the top, like a swift slap across the face with half eaten jam donut.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
China Pig
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2016, 11:52:58 PM »

I never thought I'd use the words No Pier Pressure and great in the same sentence but Judd and Bubs made a great thread here. Very entertaining.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2016, 12:44:51 AM »

The most entertaining thread in quite some time, we want more!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2016, 02:40:45 AM »

What was so cool about this was that someone's real feel for the album was able to be expressed without an immediate fierce response from certain folks who are extremely protective of all things Brian.....you guys obviously love Brian enough to care deeply about what comes down the pike. Keep up the yuks, so refreshing....
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2016, 04:48:10 AM »

What was so cool about this was that someone's real feel for the album was able to be expressed without an immediate fierce response from certain folks who are extremely protective of all things Brian.....you guys obviously love Brian enough to care deeply about what comes down the pike. Keep up the yuks, so refreshing....

Well spoketh!

“We live in divisive times.”
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2016, 05:07:05 AM »

I almost choked on my breakfast from laughter when I read that the La-la-la's in The Last Song sound like they're taunting us. LOL

Great job! I'd love to see a few more discussions like this, maybe you could do SALUTE NASCAR next. Grin
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2016, 06:07:32 AM »

An entertaining read for me also and I would surely be interested in a similar conversation about 'Radio'.

Some of the opinions I sympathise with, some I disagree with.  I guess I can't argue with the thoughts of Last Song, though I wouldn't articulate my thoughts in the same way!  However, I'm not big on Don't Worry, and can't get enough of Whatever Happened...I like Blondie's singing on Sail Away regardless of the surrounding circumstances.

A world where people are comfortable with the opinions of others is a better world.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2016, 11:40:54 AM »

This thread is better than NPP itself.  Grin

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2016, 06:13:37 PM »

In my own self-important opinion, this is the way all musical criticism should be done from now on, instead some someone banging on as if their own self-important opinion was some sort of knowledge being handed down.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2016, 06:21:24 PM »

Irrelevant to the Beach Boys, but if you guys reviewed something like The Life of Pablo I'd die reading that.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2016, 03:36:51 AM »

In my own self-important opinion, this is the way all musical criticism should be done from now on, instead some someone banging on as if their own self-important opinion was some sort of knowledge being handed down.

With the exception of Hank Brairstem's self-important banging-ons, I should add, which seem more knowledgey because he types them on an actual typewriter whilst smoking a pipe.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2016, 01:34:15 PM »

Thanks for all the kinds, everyone. Judd and I were happy to read all of them. We haven't entirely decided if we'll do more for the board or not, but we'll keep your requests in mind.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2016, 03:03:57 PM »

Bubs & Judd are so cool. They like Animal Collective and they think Grizzly Bear is like totally The Beach Boys of the 21st century. They drink PBR and they volunteer for Bernie Sanders. And they woulda voted for him, but they don't vote, cuz like.....f*** that. Voting's dumb. But maybe if they do decide to vote they'll vote for Trump, cuz like, it's totes ironic brah. Trump's a total douchebag but then again so are Bubs and Judd and it's not cool to like anything that doesn't have some kind of affect to it.

By the way, I just LOVE the way you guys would pick the lyrics apart. Perhaps you should try it on Kanye or the new Radiohead album, cuz I'm sure those are just fuckin' literally masterpieces.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2016, 03:13:39 PM »

I'm left a little speechless by this batshit crazy characterization of Judd and myself simply because we don't like NPP. It's quite impressive you've managed to get every assumption about me wrong. In reality, it seems like you have a lot of anger towards a certain group of people, and you're lumping us in with them in a pathetic attempt to rationalize our criticisms.

Whatever gets you through the day, man.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:54:46 PM by Bubs » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »

I'm left a little speechless by this batshit crazy characterization of myself and Judd simply because we don't like NPP.

Gee "Bubs," I seem to have a distinct memory of your liking your copy of NPP when you first got it.  What happened?  What influence made it so "uncool?"  It's interesting to note who your fans are here.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2016, 03:37:11 PM »

Gee "Bubs," I seem to have a distinct memory of your liking your copy of NPP when you first got it.

Yes, I did like it more when I first got it. And thank you for sending it to me. Really.

What happened?

Well, time passed, and I don't like it so much anymore. The shiny novelty has worn off, and I'm less enthused.

What influence made it so "uncool?"

I never called it "uncool," but changing musical taste, I guess? The perspective that time allows? Opinions change.

It's interesting to note who your fans are here.

Now, Debbie, you can't honestly think this is some big, secret scheme. This mentality is so prevalent here, and you all sound like a bunch of paranoid weirdos.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2016, 03:39:17 PM »

Gee "Bubs," I seem to have a distinct memory of your liking your copy of NPP when you first got it.

Yes, I did like it more when I first got it. And thank you for sending it to me. Really.

What happened?

Well, time passed, and I don't like it so much anymore. The shiny novelty has worn off, and I'm less enthused.

What influence made it so "uncool?"

I never called it "uncool," but changing musical taste, I guess? The perspective that time allows? Opinions change.

It's interesting to note who your fans are here.

Now, Debbie, you can't honestly think this is some big, secret scheme. This mentality is so prevalent here, and you all sound like a bunch of paranoid weirdos.

I said nothing about a scheme, did I?  Just interesting.  And your spin isn't very convincing, like this entire thread.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:48:38 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2016, 03:50:52 PM »

You got me, Debbie.

I'm clone #4873218792. We work in service of Mike Love.
Down with Brian Wilson!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2016, 03:54:32 PM »

Clone #4873218792, report to the workshop for reprogramming; diverse, evolving opinions are unacceptable. Mike has spoken.

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2016, 05:15:37 PM »

I'm left a little speechless by this batshit crazy characterization of myself and Judd simply because we don't like NPP.

Gee "Bubs," I seem to have a distinct memory of your liking your copy of NPP when you first got it.  What happened?  What influence made it so "uncool?"  It's interesting to note who your fans are here.
I was wondering what took you so long to post in here. I know, we must tow the line with Brian. We must tow the line with Brian... Are you just a Brian Wilson groupie? Do actually like any of the other Beach Boys? Are you even a fan of the band? Any time I see you it is only about Brian. Remember, this is a BEACH BOYS board. Brian has his own site for his over glorification fans.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.