gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:59:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bubs & Judd Review No Pier Pressure  (Read 35889 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2016, 02:48:47 PM »

It's fun to rip apart an album publicly? So this was a parody, a put on instead of what they really feel? I'd like to know.

Rip apart? It is an opinion, stated in a fun and stylish way.  We don't have to agree with them.

You answered your question in your reply imo.

Yep, chock full of fun and style, on par with a pair of steel-toed workboots and safety goggles.

OK. You're entitled to your opinion. I disagree with this and your insinuations about B & D.

Cam, what insinuations have I made about either one of them? Please give me an example and I'll address it. I originally asked "Dudd" a question about his change of mind since 2015, and he still hasn't replied, and the rest is just a rolling commentary and continuing discussion.

What insinuations have there been coming from me?

Are you not making insinuations against their intentions?

I read a comment that tried to tell me the criticism on the first pages of this thread was coming from a place of love, and I replied that not only didn't I feel that love shining through, but I'd challenge anyone to let a person totally removed from any of these topics or issues read through the reviews and ask if they thought it was coming from a place of love. Or words to that effect.

If there are any takers, I'd like to see the results.

As far as making insinuations, point me to a comment where you think I did that Cam, and I'll address it.

I saw your reply buried in there somewhere, Cam.

I'm seeing several pages of two guys ripping an album apart, then Dr Beach Boy tells me to lighten up, it's fun and irreverent, to which one of the reviewers said it's their true feelings about the album. To which I still ask and reply, which is it then? Dr Beach Boy must have misspoke or had an incorrect feel for their intentions - Because any number of readers could point out a few selected lines from the "review" and not see the love shining through, nor see the fun in writing or reading...but if it was irreverence by design, the writers say it is not, it is an accurate expression of how they feel.

So who is insinuating what, exactly, Cam?

I just saw the insinuation in the review that the writers say the sincerity of selected lyrics was faked, so either they know something only the songwriters know about real versus phony sincerity at play as the song was written, or they're insinuating to the point of claiming "fake" sincerity in the lyrics.

Lot of mixed messages to sort through.

Yep, botched that reply but fixed it.

I don't agree with your opinions above and I'm disagreeing with your insinuation about B & D's intentions as previously described, I guess we will just disagree about this too.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2016, 02:50:11 PM »

"The album received mixed reviews which largely  criticized its adult contemporary arrangement , ( by whom outside this message board?)

If you would like to read the reviews for this album, you can find two different aggregates here and here. Be forewarned: the majority of reviews are scary and wrong, in that they are mostly middling and negative. Grab the pitchforks and torches, boys, we're gonna teach them a lesson.

Why go that far, someone already created a "Many Negative Reviews Of No Pier Pressure" topic on this very board so everyone can have point-and-click access! There may even be some excerpts from student newspapers from Sweden or Australia in that collection, for those interested in undergrad collegiate music writers' take on things.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: May 13, 2016, 02:51:52 PM »

It's fun to rip apart an album publicly? So this was a parody, a put on instead of what they really feel? I'd like to know.

Rip apart? It is an opinion, stated in a fun and stylish way.  We don't have to agree with them.

Yep, chock full of fun and style, on par with a pair of steel-toed workboots and safety goggles.

OK. You're entitled to your opinion. I disagree with this and your insinuations about B & D.

Cam, what insinuations have I made about either one of them? Please give me an example and I'll address it. I originally asked "Dudd" a question about his change of mind since 2015, and he still hasn't replied, and the rest is just a rolling commentary and continuing discussion.

I read a comment that tried to tell me the criticism on the first pages of this thread was coming from a place of love, and I replied that not only didn't I feel that love shining through, but I'd challenge anyone to let a person totally removed from any of these topics or issues read through the reviews and ask if they thought it was coming from a place of love. Or words to that effect.

As far as making insinuations, point me to a comment where you think I did that Cam, and I'll address it.

I'm seeing several pages of two guys ripping an album apart, then Dr Beach Boy tells me to lighten up, it's fun and irreverent, to which one of the reviewers said it's their true feelings about the album. To which I still ask and reply, which is it then? Dr Beach Boy must have misspoke or had an incorrect feel for their intentions - Because any number of readers could point out a few selected lines from the "review" and not see the love shining through, nor see the fun in writing or reading...but if it was irreverence by design, the writers say it is not, it is an accurate expression of how they feel.

I just saw the insinuation in the review that the writers say the sincerity of selected lyrics was faked, so either they know something only the songwriters know about real versus phony sincerity at play as the song was written, or they're insinuating to the point of claiming "fake" sincerity in the lyrics.

Yep, botched that reply but fixed it.

I don't agree with your opinions above and I'm disagreeing with your insinuation about B & D's intentions as previously described, I guess we will just disagree about this too.

Cam - please spell it out for me, I'm not seeing it.

What was my insinuation about B&D's intentions? Please give me an example, or quote what i said so I know what you're referring to.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 13, 2016, 02:58:14 PM »

Craig, would you have gone through all this trouble to discredit me as a reviewer for my inexperience if this review was positive?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2016, 03:05:37 PM »

Cam - please spell it out for me, I'm not seeing it.

What was my insinuation about B&D's intentions? Please give me an example, or quote what i said so I know what you're referring to.

Done it, you'll see it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2016, 03:14:34 PM »

Part 1 Revised: Shiny Happy People Holding Hands

Bubs:   I suppose we should start at the fucking great beginning that literally shoots rays of sunlight through my windows and into my brain and makes me happy and that’s the only time in my life I’ve felt true happiness

This Beautiful Day begins.

Bubs:   For some reason, I have a fuckin amazing a cappella mix of this a cappella mix of this

Judd:   Wait, what. Oh wait, yeah. I think Jesus handed it down to his disciple Mark, and he put it on SoundCloud.

Bubs:    This is an excellent beginner. Wouldn't you agree?

Judd:    Excellent! I'm partial to it; it's nice. I think that final chord sounds fabulous.

Bubs:   Really! Tell me what you like about it?

Judd:   I'm taken with the melody

Bubs:   I love the idea here

Judd:    I remember you fuckin loving that opening line; it starts the album very promisingly

Bubs:   I love the strings and the horn so much, I rub them against my skin before I go to sleep; they’re probably played by virginal cherubs

Judd:    I like the horn, too. I want to wrap it in my arms, so we can mutually keep each other warm during a harsh winter storm.

Bubs:   I picture rain drops on windows. Big fuckin sparkly rain drops. They could probably nourish this whole entire world.

Judd:    I like it because it’s like a glimpse into Brian’s goshdarn genius brain filled with music and sh*t and it’s like “boom bang pow! HERE’S SOME MUSIC FOR YOUR SOUL, YOU BITCH”

Bubs:   and those full, natural sounding harmonies! It’s like an acient, foreign tome came to life and yelled in an echo chamber! and the flute fanfare after the final chord--or maybe it's not a flute and it’s actually God whistling

Judd:    did you notice the genius edit on Brian's vocal at 1:01? I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out but once you hear it you can't unhear it and how amazing it is

Bubs:   let me put on the headphones so I can let the music enter my body in a more direct way; i need to feel it inside me judd

Judd:    okey dokes

Bubs:    wow, yes, absolutely phenomenal work on their part

Judd:   there's a genius jump to a higher note

Bubs:    I guess I wasn't really thinking of that as an edit, more like Brian’s FUCKING OUTTA THIS WORLD ABILITY TO SING

Judd:    yeah, listening to this is like being blown by Marilyn Monroe while floating on a cloud. CLOUD 10 CUZ WE’RE FLYING OVER CLOUD 9! YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

Bubs: I’d give birth to this song’s baby, and then I would raise it by myself, and I would still pay this song alimony because that’s how good it is
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:19:23 PM by Bubs » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2016, 03:20:19 PM »

Craig, would you have gone through all this trouble to discredit me as a reviewer for my inexperience if this review was positive?

I read just like everyone else each of the commentaries on each track. I didn't know what was coming next. There could have been one track forthcoming in the discussion that got wild praise - which is why I didn't say a word until it was all through and other readers had their say. I was definitely not the first nor was i the only one to have something to say after opinions on the article were actively sought by the author. I'm still waiting for and hoping Dudd addresses my question, no joke or setup - it's my own curiosity wondering what caused such a change in opinion from a 2015 post. But if he doesn't want to engage a conversation, that's cool too.

It was through other posters' comments that I assume were posted in agreement with either the comments or the thread itself that brought out other points, among them the EDM labeling of Runaway Dancer and subsequent discussions, and your own admission that you were not as familiar with Brian's solo albums as I had expected you were based on the way some of the comments were written. After reading that, again a self-admission totally unprompted by any challenging or badgering from anyone, I thought some of the comments coming from someone who might not be as familiar with Brian's solo material as the tone and content of the commentary would suggest might come off being perceived - in retrospect - differently than what I and maybe others assumed was coming from a certain familiarity with what Brian's solo efforts sounded like versus what he is universally known for via the classic Beach Boys productions.

I would say just on a personal note, if you are not as familiar with Brian's other solo albums, if you do not own copies, if you have them but haven't listened to them, whatever the case...whether or not doing a review that ends up being positive or negative would be the result, I'd suggest in the spirit of sharing good music with other listeners to the point of maybe finding that one song or even that one moment new to your ears that reaches in and grabs you emotionally or otherwise, those really cool musical moments that you have to stop and rewind to hear repeatedly...I'd recommend taking the time to set aside an hour a day to listen to something like the Gershwin album, revist TLOS, maybe even pull out the Christmas album in May, go back to Disney or GIOMH, whatever works...and listen first instead of putting all this time into posting a review/discussion that has as many people seeing it as negativity as are praising it as irreverence and good fun for the board to read.

Just my opinion, not worth any more than the face value of the words on the page. But I'd seriously consider spending some quality listening time on those solo Brian albums you don't know as well, and maybe some small part of what you hear in that music will put a smile on your face and set up a good mood for the rest of that day, which you can then share with people here just the same as what you posted on these first 4-5 pages. If negativity is your thing, it doesn't matter what I think, because that's your choice and yours alone on what you put out here for people to read.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:25:12 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2016, 03:34:54 PM »

Part 2 Revised: Praise the Sun, for It Is the Face of Brian Wilson

Runaway Dancer begins.

Judd:    praise god, that sax is better than sex

Bubs:   That is probably the most unintentionally genius transition I've ever heard; I've listened to all of his albums so I can say that competently and reliably

Judd:   I read on some review that the synths on this song sound exactly like Wonderful Christmastime, and the more I think about it, Wonderful Christmastime must be like listening to a volcano erupt underwater because it's been compared to this Mona Lisa of song

Bubs:    “My feelings on this album can be summed up adequately by one exact shiny moment on this album, and that is the transition from "This Beautiful Day" to "Runaway Dancer". One moment, I'm experiencing bliss, assured that Brian can still make beautiful music. The next, I'm hit by a train of gold with "BRAIN MASSAGE" written on the front of it in the blood of a virgin.” How I’ve described it before.

Judd:   ah yes. it's a really mind-and-body inhabiting Ecstatic Diamond Music song

Bubs:   let's be real: this sort of salvation is what everyone's looking for from Brian. TAKE ME TO HEAVEN, BRIAN

Judd:   THIS IS SO SINCERE AND WONDERFUL.

Bubs:   this has got to be the biggest good experience on anything I've evered. The way it's structured is like two kisses on the face: it starts with that sex sax and some exquisite snapping, like you wandered into a fucking great jazz club dressed entirely in diamond-studded denim, and then synths start to fizzle like bacon in a hot pan and it all breaks loose.

Judd:   and the fist of God comes down, punches through whatever roof is in the way, and cranks the song. The outro once resuscitated me after I gasped too hard and inhaled a chair when I was listneing to this album. It's hard to sum up thoughts on this because there's so many and there's only so much room in my tiny, unqualified brain

Bubs:   I want to know who to send my first child to as a reward for creating this: the modern day equivalent of a Lost Sea Scroll

Judd:    wasn't it written in the late 90s? I suspect Jesus and Brian around the time of Imagination

Bubs:    we're not giving enough credit to Sebu, man of legendary band Capital Cities, who recently cured AIDS while also performing a concert

Judd:   Yes, he doesn't get enough attention for his saintly activities. I know he's a priest, but I'd let him have sex with me

Bubs:    I'm thinking his pale hand of righteousness steered the song in this direciton. anyway...

Judd:   who knows. to me this sounds pretty much pure-Jesus
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:03:09 PM by Bubs » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2016, 03:57:47 PM »

Part 2 Revised: Praise the Sun, for It Is the Face of Brian Wilson

Runaway Dancer begins.

Judd:    praise god, that sax is better than sex

Bubs:   That is probably the most unintentionally genius transition I've ever heard; I've listened to all of his albums so I can say that competently and reliably

Judd:   I read on some review that the synths on this song sound exactly like Wonderful Christmastime, and the more I think about it, Wonderful Christmastime must be like listening to a volcano erupt underwater because it's been compared to this Mona Lisa of song

Bubs:    “My feelings on this album can be summed up adequately by one exact shiny moment on this album, and that is the transition from "This Beautiful Day" to "Runaway Dancer". One moment, I'm experiencing bliss, assured that Brian can still make beautiful music. The next, I'm hit by a train of gold with "BRAIN MASSAGE" written on the front of it in the blood of a virgin.” How I’ve described it before.

Judd:   ah yes. it's a really mind-and-body inhabiting Ecstatic Diamond Music song

Bubs:   let's be real: this sort of salvation is what everyone's looking for from Brian. TAKE ME TO HEAVEN, BRIAN

Judd:   THIS IS SO SINCERE AND WONDERFUL.

Bubs:   this has got to be the biggest good experience on anything I've evered. The way it's structured is like two kisses on the face: it starts with that sex sax and some exquisite snapping, like you wandered into a fucking great jazz club dressed entirely in diamond-studded denim, and then synths start to fizzle like bacon in a hot pan and it all breaks loose.

Judd:   and the fist of God comes down, punches through whatever roof is in the way, and cranks the song. The outro once resuccitated me after I gasped too hard and inhaled a chair when I was listneing to this album. It's hard to sum up thoughts on this because there's so many and there's only so much room in my tiny, unqualified brain

Bubs:   I want to know who to send my first child to as a reward for creating this: the modern day equivalent of a Lost Sea Scroll

Judd:    wasn't it written in the late 90s? I suspect Jesus and Brian around the time of Imagination

Bubs:    we're not giving enough credit to Sebu, man of legendary band Capital Cities, who recently cured AIDS while also performing a concert

Judd:   Yes, he doesn't get enough attention for his saintly activities. I know he's a priest, but I'd let him have sex with me

Bubs:    I'm thinking his pale hand of righteousness steered the song in this direciton. anyway...

Judd:   who knows. to me this sounds pretty much pure-Jesus

LOL
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2016, 04:13:25 PM »

This thread is comedy gold. And full of cult tendencies.

That's not a misplaced consonant, is it?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 13, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »

Bubs: I’d give birth to this song’s baby, and then I would raise it by myself, and I would still pay this song alimony because that’s how good it is

Incredible!  LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
China Pig
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2016, 04:23:32 PM »

This new review is even funnier than the first!!  LOL LOL LOL LOL
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 13, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »

Two people can have an irreverent conversation and still be speaking the truth. It is just the fashion in which they are doing it. Also, why are you like this with Brian, yet you let stuff go about Mike? I never see you get in the faces of OSD or Smile Brian? Do you only care when something is said about Brian? Do none of the other Beach Boys matter to you? Is this a carryover from being a mod on Brian's board? If so, do you get confused which board you are moderating? You are so one-sided in here that it makes me think that it may indeed be the case. This thread was doing fine until you arrived in here, now you completely destroyed it. It was actually nice in here while you gone.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:53:59 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 13, 2016, 04:54:05 PM »

This thread began as one of the better threads in recent memory, with two posters sharing some opinions with humor and insight. Nowhere to be found were whines about who was or wasn't banned, which faction reigned supreme, whether people not posting under their own names were cowards, whether the Sandbox was some Gehenna ... just a good little thread.

I think sweetdudejim was out of line with his post. Debbie, too. And then it all really went to sh*t. What the f*** are your problems? It was a funny little review of an album, not some kind of unjust prison sentence.

For a while it seemed like there could be solace in the general music and sandbox forums, but maybe not. Maybe you're all just doomed to swim in your own vomit and sh*t. Have fun.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 13, 2016, 04:59:54 PM »

This thread began as one of the better threads in recent memory, with two posters sharing some opinions with humor and insight. Nowhere to be found were whines about who was or wasn't banned, which faction reigned supreme, whether people not posting under their own names were cowards, whether the Sandbox was some Gehenna ... just a good little thread.

I think sweetdudejim was out of line with his post. Debbie, too. And then it all really went to sh*t. What the f*** are your problems? It was a funny little review of an album, not some kind of unjust prison sentence.

For a while it seemed like there could be solace in the general music and sandbox forums, but maybe not. Maybe you're all just doomed to swim in your own vomit and sh*t. Have fun.

I think people shouldn't be endlessly defensive in trying to defend criticism of someone from this band - even if the defensiveness comes from a noble and well-intended place in the poster's heart.

IMO this is true in this thread about the NPP reviews, as well as for people who go out of their way to defend Mike doing/saying stupid stuff. Some of Brian's material is just not top shelf stuff, some of The Mulleted One's production choices may stink, and it helps people reconcile and vent a bit with some ribbing. I laughed, and I love Brian's music very deeply, and I wasn't "offended".

Similarly, other people on this board really need to take a chill pill when posters point out some action by Mike is lame or stinks, because sometimes it simply IS the case.

Overly defensive behavior doesn't work. It's very much like the Streisand effect. Hammer away on the review, which is just an opinion, and keep it up over and over again, and then you get the "happy" "A+++" review as a result. I totally get some back-and-forth disagreement and conversation about it... but let's all just agree that the defensiveness can sometimes go too far, with unintended results.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:04:38 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 13, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »

Exactly! And no one even called it a "Steaming pile....", either. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2016, 05:17:06 PM »

Part 3 Revised: War Is Peace

Whatever Happened begins.

Bubs:    very genius beginning; and middle; and the end, too

Judd:    and everything. the great thing about the ballads on this album is that they gently place their hands on my hips, rest their cheek against mine, and gracefully sway back and forth like they’re teaching me to ballroom dance, while all the snooty, rich girls look on in envy

Bubs:    ooh, the wonderful edge of pitch correction in that chorus. I love pitch correction. I detest inaccuracy and humanity.

Judd:    it just sounds so full of life; it’s like my ear is a womb and this music is impregnating me. They add a little bit just when you think it's gonna end and you’re crying because you’re sad it’s gonna end. I like that bit because it’s one of the few times my father decided to say he’s proud of me for listening to it

Bubs:   someone with muscular, serpentine arms goes for it on the cymbals. I heard they exploded when the take was over, and the fragment flew out and killed Chris Dorner, which is how it really went down

Judd:    That’s why my coffee told me.

Bubs:    Isn't that bass line from something 65 or 66? The awesome power of this album probably created a wormhole through which 1965 Brian was sucked, and he said hey brian you should add this bass line and they danced and sang and drank wine, and he returned and wept and canceled Smile because it wasn’t as good

Judd:    God, I love how it's just old tricks put into boisterously bangin’ new songs. my biggest love with this one in particular is how it seems like Brian ripped the essence from Southern California and From There to Back Again and pushed them together into one smaller and smaller ball until it exploded and shot out this song like a violent birth

Bubs:   I'm gonna pull up the lyrics for this one. “As the time goes by/And I wonder why/When I know the day is through.” I legitimately think James Joyce wrote those lines. Like, James Joyce and Virginia Woolf probably

Judd:    oh my god feed me with more lyrics

Bubs:   “The summer wine/My favorite time/The night that I met you.” are you thoroughly nourished

Judd:    nope

Bubs:    it’s phrases put together; once you untangle the images and cyclical meanings, the album case flips open, and a blinding, healing light emanates from the CD

Judd:    the chorus punched me in my amygdala until I was reduced to a hyperventilating, squirming ball of primordial emotions

Bubs:    Assume the position, my child, for there is more. "When I wake up in the morning/If I see that you're not there/If you're away I'll be OK/I know that you still care." this is basically a verse that cancels itself out genius. It reflects all the facets of a tumultuous relationship.

Judd:    How would you sum up that one?

Bubs:    music for a vacation spot commercial--if you were vacationing in Valhalla

Judd:    that's the next one

Bubs:    they are all reminiscent of eternal afterlife, bathed in the warm glow of eternal good

Judd:    touché.  the songs about old age tend to be the best. it felt weirdly intimate and genuine on Midnight's Another Day and the last three songs on TWGMTR. but for some reason on this one it transcends mere time and otherness. Through expressing his old age in such a way, Brian has achieve immortality.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2016, 05:39:56 PM »

I like NPP much more than do B&J, but I'm not so emotionally invested in my opinions that I can't appreciate a well-articulated contrary position, which B&J's review provided.

Pet Sounds might be my favorite record. Yet I would be interested in a highly detailed, song-by-song analysis by someone who was disappointed in the lp.

But that is just me and my own (sometimes) dispassionate nature. There should also be room in this whole world for more passionate, guitarfool-ish responses. And who wouldn't appreciate having a friend like Debbie?

B&J's review was fair ( though wrong-headed in my view), and not a cheap shot. But, some of the passionate disagreement it inspired was also fair.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2016, 05:40:09 PM »

Part 3 Revised: War Is Peace

Whatever Happened begins.

Bubs:    very genius beginning; and middle; and the end, too

Judd:    and everything. the great thing about the ballads on this album is that they gently place their hands on my hips, rest their cheek against mine, and gracefully sway back and forth like they’re teaching me to ballroom dance, while all the snooty, rich girls look on in envy

Bubs:    ooh, the wonderful edge of pitch correction in that chorus. I love pitch correction. I detest inaccuracy and humanity.

Judd:    it just sounds so full of life; it’s like my ear is a womb and this music is impregnating me. They add a little bit just when you think it's gonna end and you’re crying because you’re sad it’s gonna end. I like that bit because it’s one of the few times my father decided to say he’s proud of me for listening to it

Bubs:   someone with muscular, serpentine arms goes for it on the cymbals. I heard they exploded when the take was over, and the fragment flew out and killed Chris Dorner, which is how it really went down

Judd:    That’s why my coffee told me.

Bubs:    Isn't that bass line from something 65 or 66? The awesome power of this album probably created a wormhole through which 1965 Brian was sucked, and he said hey brian you should add this bass line and they danced and sang and drank wine, and he returned and wept and canceled Smile because it wasn’t as good

Judd:    God, I love how it's just old tricks put into boisterously bangin’ new songs. my biggest love with this one in particular is how it seems like Brian ripped the essence from Southern California and From There to Back Again and pushed them together into one smaller and smaller ball until it exploded and shot out this song like a violent birth

Bubs:   I'm gonna pull up the lyrics for this one. “As the time goes by/And I wonder why/When I know the day is through.” I legitimately think James Joyce wrote those lines. Like, James Joyce and Virginia Woolf probably

Judd:    oh my god feed me with more lyrics

Bubs:   “The summer wine/My favorite time/The night that I met you.” are you thoroughly nourished

Judd:    nope

Bubs:    it’s phrases put together; once you untangle the images and cyclical meanings, the album case flips open, and a blinding, healing light emanates from the CD

Judd:    the chorus punched me in my amygdala until I was reduced to a hyperventilating, squirming ball of primordial emotions

Bubs:    Assume the position, my child, for there is more. "When I wake up in the morning/If I see that you're not there/If you're away I'll be OK/I know that you still care." this is basically a verse that cancels itself out genius. It reflects all the facets of a tumultuous relationship.

Judd:    How would you sum up that one?

Bubs:    music for a vacation spot commercial--if you were vacationing in Valhalla

Judd:    that's the next one

Bubs:    they are all reminiscent of eternal afterlife, bathed in the warm glow of eternal good

Judd:    touché.  the songs about old age tend to be the best. it felt weirdly intimate and genuine on Midnight's Another Day and the last three songs on TWGMTR. but for some reason on this one it transcends mere time and otherness. Through expressing his old age in such a way, Brian has achieve immortality.

Our Heavenly Father Brian™ approves of this review.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2016, 05:45:37 PM »

I like NPP much more than do B&J, but I'm not so emotionally invested in my opinions that I can't appreciate a well-articulated contrary position, which B&J's review provided.

Pet Sounds might be my favorite record. Yet I would be interested in a highly detailed, song-by-song analysis by someone who was disappointed in the lp.

But that is just me and my own (sometimes) dispassionate nature. There should also be room in this whole world for more passionate, guitarfool-ish responses. And who wouldn't appreciate having a friend like Debbie?

B&J's review was fair ( though wrong-headed in my view), and not a cheap shot. But, some of the passionate disagreement it inspired was also fair.
I really like this post.  Smiley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2016, 06:18:34 PM »

Two people can have an irreverent conversation and still be speaking the truth. It is just the fashion in which they are doing it. Also, why are you like this with Brian, yet you let stuff go about Mike? I never see you get in the faces of OSD or Smile Brian? Do you only care when something is said about Brian? Do none of the other Beach Boys matter to you? Is this a carryover from being a mod on Brian's board? If so, do you get confused which board you are moderating? You are so one-sided in here that it makes me think that it may indeed be the case. This thread was doing fine until you arrived in here, now you completely destroyed it. It was actually nice in here while you gone.

I wasn't gone, I just wasn't posting. Kept up with my daily reading of the board every day, some days more than others.

It's interesting that I'm the one who completely destroyed it, yet in this same thread you - for one - rather than talking about the music since we're reminded constantly that it's all about the music, chose instead to post remarks aimed at people who post to Brian's site and the site itself, and put this bizarre challenge of whether or not someone is a real Beach Boys fan to not just me, but more ridiculously aimed directly at another poster who has spent more real-life time in the presence of the actual, real-life Beach Boys both living and those sadly deceased than others would most likely ever dream of spending in three lifetimes. You ask "are you really a Beach Boys fan?" as a direct challenge to someone who worked in the Beach Boys offices and was at one time responsible for the fan mail that would come in for the Beach Boys...and I'm the one who is confused?  LOL

Someone who actually was there with the band...getting challenged by you on a message board as to whether or not they're a fan of said band...is beyond absurd.

Have fun wallowing in your delusion and trying to keep those fires stoked and burning, while fishing for those reactions. If you keep trying to pin stuff on me or anyone else you don't like, someday you might get lucky and one of your theories and claims might float closer to the truth, but it's fun watching you throw pitch after pitch over the catcher's head and go crashing into the backstop. Ball four.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2016, 06:19:50 PM »

That's how I feel as well.  And yeah, I don't let other people's opinions affect how I feel about the album. The only real quibble I have is with 'blaming' Joe Thomas for the production choices, when most of  it was the work of a certain guy with the initials BDW. If you like or don't like the production, it's being directed at the wrong dude! Opinions don't bother me...factual errors do.

I happen to love NPP very much , but if somebody else doesn't like it, so be it. No skin off my dick.  I happen to despise Imagination with a purple passion (an opinion shared by the same guy who produced NPP) but won't trip on those who feel otherwise.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2016, 06:28:29 PM »

There should also be room in this whole world for more passionate, guitarfool-ish responses.

For the record - In the most recent set of exchanges, I was asked a very direct question by one of the reviewers here, and what I gave in return was an in-depth and honest answer, along with a heartfelt recommendation since my opinion was asked. I have yet to receive a reply or even an acknowledgement in a similar spirit, maybe one is forthcoming, or maybe posting another round of these 2-way conversations and spending however much time it takes in that pursuit is truly more of a priority than "the music", or else it's more satisfying to share and post that instead of finding something to be happy or excited about through listening to new or unheard music and telling others about it. "Share A Smile" and all of that, too often it falls by the wayside.

What I wrote and said was exactly what I felt about finding and sharing music that makes people happy, and if it's someone's choice to post another series of parodies and irreverence instead, what can ya' do but try.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 13, 2016, 06:50:43 PM »

Rip apart? It is an opinion, stated in a fun and stylish way.  We don't have to agree with them.

I wasn't gone, I just wasn't posting. Kept up with my daily reading of the board every day, some days more than others.

It's interesting that I'm the one who completely destroyed it, yet in this same thread you - for one - rather than talking about the music since we're reminded constantly that it's all about the music, chose instead to post remarks aimed at people who post to Brian's site and the site itself, and put this bizarre challenge of whether or not someone is a real Beach Boys fan to not just me, but more ridiculously aimed directly at another poster who has spent more real-life time in the presence of the actual, real-life Beach Boys both living and those sadly deceased than others would most likely ever dream of spending in three lifetimes. You ask "are you really a Beach Boys fan?" as a direct challenge to someone who worked in the Beach Boys offices and was at one time responsible for the fan mail that would come in for the Beach Boys...and I'm the one who is confused?  LOL

Someone who actually was there with the band...getting challenged by you on a message board as to whether or not they're a fan of said band...is beyond absurd.

Have fun wallowing in your delusion and trying to keep those fires stoked and burning, while fishing for those reactions. If you keep trying to pin stuff on me or anyone else you don't like, someday you might get lucky and one of your theories and claims might float closer to the truth, but it's fun watching you throw pitch after pitch over the catcher's head and go crashing into the backstop. Ball four.

You are delusional. I have been a fan and followed this band since 1964, so don't go spouting your crap at me. Address what I asked you. Why do you defend only Brian and not Mike or the rest of the guys when threads get out of hand. You are quick to whitewash your moderating duties. I request that you resign your commission and give it to somebody who is more fair-handed than yourself. You are no moderator, you create more chaos than you do fence mending.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2016, 06:51:37 PM »

Here we go again, abandon the thread people, it's only to get worse from here.  Dead Horse

Welcome to Smiley Smile: Civil War, in theaters now!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:52:47 PM by BachelorsDegreeInBullets » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx