gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:34:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yes we love Pet Sounds, but 2017 will be the 40th anniversary of Love You!! :O  (Read 16369 times)
glimpse_of_divinity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:51:31 AM »

Does anyone know if this will be acknowledged/celebrated by the Beach Boys?

Backing tracks??? Please?! I would do a number of ethically questionable things for an opportunity to listen to those sweet sweet synth tones.

And dare I ask....any remote chance of a Love You tour from Brian?!?!?!  3D 3D 3D
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 09:19:19 AM »

I think it's almost certainly out of the question - but I'd kill for a clean version of Lazy Lizzie and a few other tracks from the sessions. It's such a precious, underrated gem.
Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:33:07 AM »

I too sadly don't think this will happen. Then again, The Who toured Quadrophenia, Yes is touring selections from Tales From Topographic Oceans this year (along with another album I can't remember off the top of my head), and The Rolling Stones did that Sticky Fingers tour last year. None of those are the bands' most popular albums, so a Love You tour wouldn't be *impossible*, but Brian would probably tour albums like Sunflower, Friends, or some solo selections before Love You. As for a release, you never know! The Party set last year was kind of unexpected, at least to me. I don't think it was entirely due to that 50-year copyright thing, either, but more to do with the anniversary and it being a cool type of project to do.

Think about an ultra-limited edition of a late-70s Beach Boys box set with a hand-woven cross-stitched replica of the Love You album cover; 15 Big Ones, Group Therapy, Love You, New Album, Adult Child, MIU, and Merry Christmas From The Beach Boys LPs; CDs of backing tracks and vocals-only tracks; an entire "early mix" alternate 15 Big Ones; the lyrical versions of "We Gotta Groove" and "Short Skirts" and other Brother Rarities tracks; the debut of the apparently awful late-70s mix of "Child of Winter;" and who knows what else! What a treat that would be. Even if it only spanned 15 Big Ones to Love You, I'd be fine with it. They definitely have the material and manpower to do such a thing, and it's really only commercial viability in my mind that would limit such a project.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »

I too sadly don't think this will happen. Then again, The Who toured Quadrophenia, Yes is touring selections from Tales From Topographic Oceans this year (along with another album I can't remember off the top of my head), and The Rolling Stones did that Sticky Fingers tour last year. None of those are the bands' most popular albums, so a Love You tour wouldn't be *impossible*, but Brian would probably tour albums like Sunflower, Friends, or some solo selections before Love You. As for a release, you never know! The Party set last year was kind of unexpected, at least to me. I don't think it was entirely due to that 50-year copyright thing, either, but more to do with the anniversary and it being a cool type of project to do.

Think about an ultra-limited edition of a late-70s Beach Boys box set with a hand-woven cross-stitched replica of the Love You album cover; 15 Big Ones, Group Therapy, Love You, New Album, Adult Child, MIU, and Merry Christmas From The Beach Boys LPs; CDs of backing tracks and vocals-only tracks; an entire "early mix" alternate 15 Big Ones; the lyrical versions of "We Gotta Groove" and "Short Skirts" and other Brother Rarities tracks; the debut of the apparently awful late-70s mix of "Child of Winter;" and who knows what else! What a treat that would be. Even if it only spanned 15 Big Ones to Love You, I'd be fine with it. They definitely have the material and manpower to do such a thing, and it's really only commercial viability in my mind that would limit such a project.

I think the difference between Love You and the albums you mentioned from The Who, Yes, and The Rolling Stones is that those LPs are still considered to be classics outside of those bands' circles of fans.  I just saw Quadrophenia listed in the top ten of a Top 100 albums of the 70s list in Classic Rock Magazine.   

Whereas Love You seems to be a cult favorite that divides even the most loyal BB/BW fans. 

It's kinda like Pink Floyd with The Final Cut.  The Final Cut is highly thought of by many Floyd / Roger Waters fans, but when Roger took Floyd albums on the road, he chose more universal crowd pleasers Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.
glimpse_of_divinity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 09:50:15 AM »

I disagree that those other albums are more likely...Brian loves Love You and his involvement in it was greater than those others you mentioned. I don't think it will happen though.

I will continue to pray for backing tracks however. It seems more reasonable.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »

I disagree that those other albums are more likely...Brian loves Love You and his involvement in it was greater than those others you mentioned. I don't think it will happen though.

Very true.  I can't quite imagine him feeling the need to do an album that Bruce has called his favourite as it was such a group effort.  Friends would be a bit more plausible.

Next year is also the anniversary of SMiLE.  If Brian is still touring maybe he'll do both or something along the 2002 Summer UK set lists where the first set was mini SMiLE and Love You!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 10:07:55 AM »

In a not-too-unrecent online Q&A session, Brian (or someone representing him!) said that a Love You tour is *not* out of the question.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 10:26:57 AM »

I think the difference between Love You and the albums you mentioned from The Who, Yes, and The Rolling Stones is that those LPs are still considered to be classics outside of those bands' circles of fans.  I just saw Quadrophenia listed in the top ten of a Top 100 albums of the 70s list in Classic Rock Magazine.   

Whereas Love You seems to be a cult favorite that divides even the most loyal BB/BW fans. 

It's kinda like Pink Floyd with The Final Cut.  The Final Cut is highly thought of by many Floyd / Roger Waters fans, but when Roger took Floyd albums on the road, he chose more universal crowd pleasers Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.

Good point, good point. I have heard great praise about the albums, and now that I think about it, I remember seeing a Quadrophenia documentary on TV a few years back.
I'd personally love to see Atom Heart Mother performed live, but Waters and Gilmour dislike the album, and Waters had some things to say about the sheer never-going-to-happen-ness of touring that album. At least Brian likes Love You.

I will continue to pray for backing tracks however. It seems more reasonable.
Very true.  I can't quite imagine him feeling the need to do an album that Bruce has called his favourite as it was such a group effort.  Friends would be a bit more plausible.

Next year is also the anniversary of SMiLE.  If Brian is still touring maybe he'll do both or something along the 2002 Summer UK set lists where the first set was mini SMiLE and Love You!

I see where you're both coming from. I suppose I was going off of commercial viability, although Friends and Sunflower both did worse than Love You on the charts, so that line of thinking is flawed. I do remember Brian stating at one time Friends being his favorite of their albums, as well as Love You (and 15 Big Ones and a few others!!). Sunflower has not had such a mention to my recollection. The thought of a Smile and Love You co-billing in 2017 is super tantalizing. That would be such a showcase for Brian's eccentric side, and his band could make songs like "Let Us Go On This Way" and "Roller Skating Child" rock out fantastically! Just imagine Brian belting "Let Us Go On;" it'd be great!!

In a not-too-unrecent online Q&A session, Brian (or someone representing him!) said that a Love You tour is *not* out of the question.

Now that you mention that, I do remember that answer from Brian being discussed here. My hopes have significantly risen for some sort of Love You-related event. The louder we cheer for "Honkin' Down the Highway" at his concerts this year, the greater our message will be!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »

SMiLE/love you tour! 3D

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »

I dig “Love You”, but I don’t need to hear “Mona” or “Love is a Woman” live. If they tour next year, a mini set of “Love You” stuff would be cool. I don’t see them finding enough marketability in doing the entire “Love You” album for an entire tour. Maybe they could do like they did with PS in 2013 and spring the entire "Love You" album at one or a few random gigs or something.

Also worth keeping in mind is that there has already been talk of booking more “Pet Sounds” shows into next year, covering markets that weren’t hit (e.g. most of non-UK Europe) and markets where they could have added additional dates but had no room left in the schedule.

The one thing that makes a “Love You” tour surprisingly more likely than a “Sunflower” tour (or name some other fan favorite) is that “Love You” is very Brian-centric. Brian *rarely* does non-covers that he didn’t write or co-write. Even Al’s and Blondie’s songs are *usually* Brian-penned or co-penned (there are a few exceptions of course). So I would tend to doubt we’ll ever see Brian doing “Tears in the Morning” in concert, even with a backing guy singing it. “Love You” is perhaps the only post-Smile (or “Smiley Smile”) album Brian could do (outside of solo albums of course) that would be so Brian-centric.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:36:06 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.  Imagine "Love You" performed or even re-recorded without all the dated synths.  Instead bring in Brian's band and a more complete production.  If I remember correctly, even Carl Wilson once remarked that the album was "unfinished" or something along those lines.
KDS
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 10:55:49 AM »

Good point, good point. I have heard great praise about the albums, and now that I think about it, I remember seeing a Quadrophenia documentary on TV a few years back.
I'd personally love to see Atom Heart Mother performed live, but Waters and Gilmour dislike the album, and Waters had some things to say about the sheer never-going-to-happen-ness of touring that album. At least Brian likes Love You.

Yep, the Quadrophenia doc was done around the time The Who toured it again in 2012.  In recent years, I'd say that album rivals Tommy in popularity, and there have been more Quadrophenia than Tommy tracks in most of the Who Hit 50 setlists. 

Waters or Gilmour will never do AHM because it's not a cohesive project.  Basically, you have two long songs (the amazing title track and the time waster Alan's Pyschadelic Breakfast), and in the middle one track each from Roger, Rick, and David respectively.  Roger and David have performed their songs on solo tours (If and Fat Old Sun). 

Roger is very fond of The Final Cut, and except for The Wall tour, always did a song or two from it in concert. 
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 11:02:05 AM »

I agree with the idea of a mini-Love You set as part of a larger set list:

Let Us Go On This Way
Roller Skating Child
Honkin' Down the Highway
The Night Was So Young
I'll Bet He's Nice

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:02:32 AM by petsoundsnola » Logged
Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »

I dig “Love You”, but I don’t need to hear “Mona” or “Love is a Woman” live. If they tour next year, a mini set of “Love You” stuff would be cool. I don’t see them finding enough marketability in doing the entire “Love You” album for an entire tour. Maybe they could do like they did with PS in 2013 and spring the entire "Love You" album at one or a few random gigs or something.

Totally, that seems reasonable. Having the entirety of Love You *and* Smile and attempting to throw in some greatest hits would be a lengthy concert. I do quite like "Mona," though.

Also worth keeping in mind is that there has already been talk of booking more “Pet Sounds” shows into next year, covering markets that weren’t hit (e.g. most of non-UK Europe) and markets where they could have added additional dates but had no room left in the schedule.

I wasn't aware! I suppose it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the world to skip over them for this tour and then go ahead with another tour that they can't go to. Pet Sounds is a much more lucrative album to tour with, and they've bled beyond year anniversaries for anniversary celebrations anyway (such as the 90s Pet Sounds boxset), so that would make a lot of sense for them to do.

The one thing that makes a “Love You” tour surprisingly more likely than a “Sunflower” tour (or name some other fan favorite) is that “Love You” is very Brian-centric. Brian *rarely* does non-covers that he didn’t write or co-write. Even Al’s and Blondie’s songs are *usually* Brian-penned or co-penned (there are a few exceptions of course). So I would tend to doubt we’ll ever see Brian doing “Tears in the Morning” in concert, even with a backing guy singing it. “Love You” is perhaps the only post-Smile (or “Smiley Smile”) album Brian could do (outside of solo albums of course) that would be so Brian-centric.

You have a solid point. David breaking out "Little Bird" in 2013 was a pretty cool surprise, but even then, Brian had a hand in the track's creation (some say a very significant hand). Something I very well think could happen is a Mike and Bruce tour of Sunflower, or heavy integration of those songs into their setlist at least. Especially with the three Bruce-sung songs and the singers of their band being suited for basically all of those songs. It could happen!

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.  Imagine "Love You" performed or even re-recorded without all the dated synths.  Instead bring in Brian's band and a more complete production.  If I remember correctly, even Carl Wilson once remarked that the album was "unfinished" or something along those lines.

I think it'd be just as cool if they purposefully broke out the dated synth sounds for a performance. That being said, it would be interesting and probably more plausible to hear it with Brian's current band configuration. I wonder what instruments would take the parts of all the synths bouncing around in "I'll Bet He's Nice."

Yep, the Quadrophenia doc was done around the time The Who toured it again in 2012.  In recent years, I'd say that album rivals Tommy in popularity, and there have been more Quadrophenia than Tommy tracks in most of the Who Hit 50 setlists. 

Waters or Gilmour will never do AHM because it's not a cohesive project.  Basically, you have two long songs (the amazing title track and the time waster Alan's Pyschadelic Breakfast), and in the middle one track each from Roger, Rick, and David respectively.  Roger and David have performed their songs on solo tours (If and Fat Old Sun). 

Roger is very fond of The Final Cut, and except for The Wall tour, always did a song or two from it in concert. 

It's cool that Quadrophenia is getting recognition; it's a great album! I think I like Tommy a bit more, but it's very played out in the concert space.

It definitely isn't cohesive. That being said, I'm personally a huge fan of "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" (my three favorites are the title track, that, and "Summer of 68"). The concept is very funny to me, and the fact that it was recorded at Nick's house with a roadie delivering the monologue is cool to me. There's something about the way that Alan describes his breakfast journey and the way they edited it up (the multiple striking matches across the stereoscape, for example) that gets me. Plus the overall audacity of putting an avant-garde piece about breakfast on a *Pink Floyd* album in general; considering how the cow on the cover was supposed to be a counter statement to claims that they were space rock, I would extend that rebellion against their image to the track.  The musical accompaniment is nice, too. Then again, I still think "'Cassius' Love vs 'Sonny' Wilson" is funny after hearing it many times, so that speaks to how easily I can be satisfied by a track with humor elements.

I need to listen to The Final Cut sometime; I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I agree with the idea of a mini-Love You set as part of a larger set list:

Let Us Go On This Way
Roller Skating Child
Honkin' Down the Highway
The Night Was So Young
I'll Bet He's Nice

I like the looks of that list! However, of any time and place in his entire life (besides QVC, of course), a Love You tour would be the ultimate venue for a "Ding Dang" jam! Blondie or David or Al or whoever would be playing the guitar could be given a chance to shine, and the groove that the band can get in in general would be wonderfully showcased. Seeing as how he's reused "Ding Dang"/"Shortnin' Bread" so much over his career, he would definitely enjoy performing it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 11:54:43 AM »

I want a smile tour as well in the near future!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 12:00:04 PM »

I want a smile tour as well in the near future!

Me too, for sure! I do have a little apprehension after hearing that Brian doesn't like performing "Surf's Up" due to the complicated lyrics, although perhaps the lead could be handed to Al (who sings the tag lyrics anyway)? Now here's an interesting idea: If they were to only do a mini-set of Smile rather than the full album (for whatever reason), what songs do you think they'd bust out? I would assume they would stick to BWPS-type arrangements for songs that weren't first released by The Beach Boys ("Holidays," "Blue Hawaii," etc).
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 12:06:02 PM »

I saw BW sing Surf's up twice last year and it brought me to tears. He can belt if he wants to! Al's take would be interesting as well.

Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 12:20:02 PM »

I saw BW sing Surf's up twice last year and it brought me to tears. He can belt if he wants to! Al's take would be interesting as well.

You're very lucky to have seen that! I remember reading that he had broke it out just before I went and saw him last November, but he sadly didn't perform it at the venue I was at (it was a casino, so I can understand why not; different fan bases and all that). It's at the top of my wish list of songs I want to see him perform (though if we're being honest, a "Ding Dang" jam would probably be number two!!!).
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 12:37:27 PM »

I want a 20 minute ding dang encore jam! Grin

petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »

Interspersed with numerous "Let's Go, Mother F'ers!"  LOL
Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 12:53:48 PM »

Interspersed with numerous "Let's Go, Mother F'ers!"  LOL

Let's be real: A "Ding Dang Through The Years" tour simply must happen in 2017. They'll start off with "I'm the Pied Piper" and flow into "Ding Dang," "Rollin' Up To Heaven," "Shortnin Bread," "Drip Drop," "Shortnin Bread" again, "Too Much Sugar," probably "Shortnin Bread" again, "Proud Mary," and finish off with "Goin' Home." The more intimate venues could add such choice rarities as "Bells of Madness" and "Clangin." Each piece extended so as to make the performance fit a standard concert length. It'd give Jerry Lee Lewis's "Live at the Starr Club" a run for it's money!
glimpse_of_divinity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 01:13:49 PM »

I have a feeling Brian would be game for that!!!!

No way! I love the moog!! Unlike the 80s stuff, Brian had complete control in deciding which synths to use...it was entirely his vision!

I think a full orchestra/band version of these songs would sound more like No Pier Pressure...which I like but is not in the same creative production realm as Love You!!!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:19:03 PM by glimpse_of_divinity » Logged
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »

I really hope Bruce Johnston isn't reading this, he would turn the idea into a 12" Disco single  LOL
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:21:47 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 01:23:26 PM »

M&B need to do the full HCTN disco song! Evil

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 01:55:51 PM »

I think it's almost certainly out of the question - but I'd kill for a clean version of Lazy Lizzie and a few other tracks from the sessions. It's such a precious, underrated gem.

The girlfriend pointed out recently to me that "Lazy Lizzie" might actually be even creepier than "Hey Little Tomboy." Nobody but BB archivists and scholarly fans need to hear those songs anymore.  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx