gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:55:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yes we love Pet Sounds, but 2017 will be the 40th anniversary of Love You!! :O  (Read 16372 times)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2016, 03:27:47 PM »

KDS,  That makes sense, since they were mostly concept albums.  I had many chances, but never went to a Pink Floyd show.  Those arena shows were too big. I never saw a Stones show for that very reason, I regret that more now.  There were just so many choices.  So David Crosby 25+ shows, many others zero.  Of course the Beach Boys always got my bucks, and I would travel to see them.  I had a group of artists, like Poco, Fleetwood Mac, Laura Nyro, Paul and Artie, Chris Hillman, Boz Scaggs, The Kinks, Costello, Neil Young, some others, that I would make time to see over and over, even if it was on a week night - work next day.  I saw some artists only once or twice.  That list would be very long.  Folks that didn't tour the US very often, like John Martyn, or McCartney, only twice.

If I could have seen just one, it would not really be a Floyd show.  I don't care for any of Rogers albums.  He went full fail as a solo artist.  What happened?  I love many Floyd albums, where let's face it, Roger was Pink Floyd.  The rest were his helpers.  Hope that doesn't send you fans into fits.  He wrote most every song, and sang most of them.  David had his moments, some good ones.  Roger is doing the same thing Mike and Brian are doin', more or less.  Playing the records that made them famous.  But, Roger did one that I listen to/watch often, to this day.  It isn't my favorite Pink Floyd album.  The Wall  21 July 1990 in Berlin.  It was so powerful.  Seen it so many times, I can close my eyes and picture some of the great guests he brought along to play.  He was great in his part too.  The guests made it seem much more real, than just Roger and Co. doing the songs.  Better than the movie too.  -Will     I don't think anybody has addressed me as feels before, gave me a chuckle.  However for many years, my father-in-law insisted on calling me Wils, signed cards like that as well.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
KDS
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2016, 05:46:34 AM »

KDS,  That makes sense, since they were mostly concept albums.  I had many chances, but never went to a Pink Floyd show.  Those arena shows were too big. I never saw a Stones show for that very reason, I regret that more now.  There were just so many choices.  So David Crosby 25+ shows, many others zero.  Of course the Beach Boys always got my bucks, and I would travel to see them.  I had a group of artists, like Poco, Fleetwood Mac, Laura Nyro, Paul and Artie, Chris Hillman, Boz Scaggs, The Kinks, Costello, Neil Young, some others, that I would make time to see over and over, even if it was on a week night - work next day.  I saw some artists only once or twice.  That list would be very long.  Folks that didn't tour the US very often, like John Martyn, or McCartney, only twice.

If I could have seen just one, it would not really be a Floyd show.  I don't care for any of Rogers albums.  He went full fail as a solo artist.  What happened?  I love many Floyd albums, where let's face it, Roger was Pink Floyd.  The rest were his helpers.  Hope that doesn't send you fans into fits.  He wrote most every song, and sang most of them.  David had his moments, some good ones.  Roger is doing the same thing Mike and Brian are doin', more or less.  Playing the records that made them famous.  But, Roger did one that I listen to/watch often, to this day.  It isn't my favorite Pink Floyd album.  The Wall  21 July 1990 in Berlin.  It was so powerful.  Seen it so many times, I can close my eyes and picture some of the great guests he brought along to play.  He was great in his part too.  The guests made it seem much more real, than just Roger and Co. doing the songs.  Better than the movie too.  -Will     I don't think anybody has addressed me as feels before, gave me a chuckle.  However for many years, my father-in-law insisted on calling me Wils, signed cards like that as well.

Will

I have to disagree about Roger's solo career, as I really enjoyed Pros and Cons and Amused to Death.  I think there's some good stuff on Radio KAOS even if it's weighed down by the uber late 80s production.

Roger was the captain steering the ship, but pre Animals, Gilmour and Wright contributed a ton musically.  And I think The Divison Bell, without Roger, is a fantastic album (although David needed outside help for most of the lyrics). 

I like the Berlin version of The Wall.  Have you heard his latest version?  He recently released a film from his 2010-2012 Wall Tour.  I actually prefer that as I wasn't really into Sinead O Connor singing Mother or Cyndi Lauper doing Another Brick Part 2. 
glimpse_of_divinity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2016, 12:37:02 PM »

Ok I found these 'backing tracks' recently....does anyone know if there is a better fan-made version out there??

This is such a tease!!

Night Was So Young: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AD_wTUeXw

More:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=%22love+you%22+instrumental+beach+boys+youtube
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:48:03 PM by glimpse_of_divinity » Logged
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2016, 01:13:17 PM »

If he does a "Love You" tour maybe he can update some of the lyrics for today...
"he sits behind his microphone...
Jimmy Fallon!"
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2016, 09:21:38 AM »

Does anyone know if below is true? Trying to find Love You instrumentals/backing tracks. 

"There are a handful of Brian's original "finished" Love You tracks floating around as well, though what I've heard are just like his early mixes for the previous 15 Big Ones - not that different... well, apart from Honking Down The Highway featuring an alternate lead vocal from Billy Hinsche and Ding Dang being slightly longer."

source:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/cabin-essence-your-thoughts.345065/page-6
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2016, 10:37:27 AM »

Does anyone know if below is true? Trying to find Love You instrumentals/backing tracks.  

"There are a handful of Brian's original "finished" Love You tracks floating around as well, though what I've heard are just like his early mixes for the previous 15 Big Ones - not that different... well, apart from Honking Down The Highway featuring an alternate lead vocal from Billy Hinsche and Ding Dang being slightly longer."

source:

The longer Ding Dang and alternate Honkin' are true, you can find them on YouTube, not sure about the backing tracks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:09:24 PM by BachelorsDegreeInBullets » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 02:27:20 PM »

source:

The longer Ding Dang and alternate Honkin' are.true, you can find them on YouTube, not sure about the backing tracks.

Cool thanks! I found them and liked the longer ding dang.

Still dying to hear the album instrumentals though
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 02:32:42 PM »

Ok I found these 'backing tracks' recently....does anyone know if there is a better fan-made version out there??

This is such a tease!!

Night Was So Young: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AD_wTUeXw

That particular "backing track" sounds like simply the standard mixed "OOPSED", which simply cancels the common information in the two channels of the stereo mix, or this may be some other sort of digital extraction. You can usually pick out some aural artifacts in these cases (extra echo/reverb, swirly digital artifacts, etc.)

However, there are some genuine stripped down mixes out there. Ironically, it sounds like the "vocals only" mix of "The Night Was So Young" on YouTube is legit, it sounds too clean to be a digital extraction.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2016, 06:49:04 PM »

How about a Wild Honey (50th)/Love You (40th) tour?!! Do both albums back to back!! Than in 2018 he could cover Friends, BW 88 and Imaginations! Ha ha! Far fetched, but I would love it!

On another note, a Mt Vernon and Fairway tour which would be a mix of his songs from 67-77! Or a solo career tour inwhich he does a set of solo tacks coinciding with a cd release of Best of BW solo!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2016, 06:51:56 PM »

How about a Wild Honey (50th)/Love You (40th) tour?!! Do both albums back to back!! Than in 2018 he could cover Friends, BW 88 and Imaginations! Ha ha! Far fetched, but I would love it!

On another note, a Mt Vernon and Fairway tour which would be a mix of his songs from 67-77! Or a solo career tour inwhich he does a set of solo tacks coinciding with a cd release of Best of BW solo!
Definitely should do a Wild Honey tour - but I'd say make it Wild Honey/Smiley Smile. Would be a trip to see the band replicate those stripped down songs onstage. And BW88 definitely needs to be played live, so many great songs there that the band would play just brilliantly. A live Melt Away, Walkin' the Line, There's So Many, Rio Grande....I'm there!
KDS
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2016, 05:38:16 AM »

Definitely should do a Wild Honey tour - but I'd say make it Wild Honey/Smiley Smile. Would be a trip to see the band replicate those stripped down songs onstage. And BW88 definitely needs to be played live, so many great songs there that the band would play just brilliantly. A live Melt Away, Walkin' the Line, There's So Many, Rio Grande....I'm there!

Realistically, I think the only way Brian includes more solo songs would be for him to do longer sets, or play much smaller venues. 

From a fiscal standpoint, the majority of ticket buyers are there to hear the Beach Boys classics performed by the genius who composed them. 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2016, 07:02:48 PM »

What I wonder is if the 50th anniversary commemorations would continue for their 70's releases..... Or attention would be focused on the 60th anniversaries for their 60's stuff
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2016, 10:22:17 PM »

mistake!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:30:42 PM by Tab Lloyd » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2016, 10:53:33 PM »

What I wonder is if the 50th anniversary commemorations would continue for their 70's releases..... Or attention would be focused on the 60th anniversaries for their 60's stuff
It's going to be 60's forever, because, as noted above, the general public only wants to hear the greatest hits. And for Joe Public, the Beach Boys (apart from a few fluke hits like Kokomo and Getcha Back) ended with the end of the 60's.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2016, 01:53:30 PM »

How about a Wild Honey (50th)/Love You (40th) tour?!! Do both albums back to back!!

Well, that's a tour that I would pay a lot of money that I don't have to see!!

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2016, 04:58:20 PM »

How would a Summer Days (and Summer Nights!) set go down?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/summer-2016s-30-hottest-tours-20160524

Not long ago, Wilson, 73, was considering retirement. Not anymore: After the success of his 2015 biopic, Love & Mercy, Wilson decided to hit the road to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds by performing the 1966 classic in its entirety. "I'm really having a lot of fun," he says. Wilson has seen lots of younger faces in the audience, and he's finding new meaning in classics like "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "God Only Knows," with a band that includes longtime Beach Boys guitarist Al Jardine. "It's a nostalgic feeling," Wilson says of performing the material. "I go back to when I was 23 years old, producing that album. It makes me proud." Now, he's even thinking about his next tour: "I'd love to do Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!) in its entirety. Those are some great songs!"

Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2016, 08:10:01 PM »

How would a Summer Days (and Summer Nights!) set go down?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/summer-2016s-30-hottest-tours-20160524

Not long ago, Wilson, 73, was considering retirement. Not anymore: After the success of his 2015 biopic, Love & Mercy, Wilson decided to hit the road to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds by performing the 1966 classic in its entirety. "I'm really having a lot of fun," he says. Wilson has seen lots of younger faces in the audience, and he's finding new meaning in classics like "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "God Only Knows," with a band that includes longtime Beach Boys guitarist Al Jardine. "It's a nostalgic feeling," Wilson says of performing the material. "I go back to when I was 23 years old, producing that album. It makes me proud." Now, he's even thinking about his next tour: "I'd love to do Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!) in its entirety. Those are some great songs!"

If he ever did, I wonder if he'd do Summer Means New Love or Somewhere Quiet, preferably the former because Somewhere Quiet sucks.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2016, 08:11:27 PM »

In a perfect world Somewhere Quiet would never exist. Summer Means New Love was fine the way it was. It's like colorizing Citizen Kane.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2016, 08:15:39 PM »

In a perfect world No Pier Pressure would never exist.

Fixed that.

I still love you Brian

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2016, 08:18:20 PM »

I cannot say I disagree.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2016, 08:22:07 PM »

I cannot say I disagree.
Especially since Brian is not an artist whom I anticipate new and exciting music from, I'd be perfectly content with That Lucky Old Sun being his last album of new material, and then have the Gershwin and Disney albums after that. He's not Radiohead, I'm not eagerly waiting for the new BW song, especially since he hasn't written anything truly great since 1977. (With the possible exception of Summer's Gone)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:59:38 PM by Gigantic Douche Coupe » Logged

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:31 PM »

You must really hate Brian. You jerk. Mr. Jerkface. You want to end up on the Naughty List?*

*The self-titled album is Brian's best solo record

Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2016, 08:27:57 PM »

You must really hate Brian. You jerk. Mr. Jerkface. You want to end up on the Naughty List?*

*The self-titled album is Brian's best solo record

I've secretly been on Murry's payroll this entire time!

Okay, I lied Rio Grande is pretty great, and you are correct, cheesy 80's production and all

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2016, 08:30:23 PM »

You must be one of the mind gangsters!*

*The 80s production values make it work

Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »

You must be one of the mind gangsters!*

*The 80s production values make it work

Of course! I'm a genius too ya know!

I am so glad that I am not alone in thinking this

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print