gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:00:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What celebrities have the BBs met?  (Read 6797 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2016, 01:23:46 PM »

I'm often surprised by the random assortment, but seemingly endless assembly line of celebrities, both expected and unexpected, that BB members have met, in some fashion, over the years. This of course includes musicians, politicians, actors, etc. Anyone care to add some?

For the sake of the thread, maybe we should omit musicians who have simply shared bills with The BBs, and just talk about other celebs who The BBs haven't necessarily shared bills with.

Gary Busey, Dick Clark, Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Alec Baldwin, Michael Jackson, The Reagans, The Bushes, entire cast of Full House, etc. etc. etc...

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 01:33:30 PM »

Bruce told a cool story about Jeff Bridges cornering him at a Christmas party and grilling him about Dennis.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 01:37:35 PM »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CY-UDzlWkAAPL-c.jpg
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »

Bono, Diet Coke..... LOL
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 06:42:10 PM »

We've heard about Brian meeting Elvis in the studio; did any of the others ever meet him? They recorded a song with Little Richard, but were they even in the same studio?
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 03:05:53 AM »

We've heard about Brian meeting Elvis in the studio; did any of the others ever meet him? They recorded a song with Little Richard, but were they even in the same studio?

https://youtu.be/BRIYmqRlt6Y

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 05:45:39 AM »

I think at least Carl knew Dean Martin, Desi Arnez and Lucille Ball. Brian met Jodie Foster and the 70s cast of SNL. Brian also met the cast of Love and Mercy.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 07:11:37 AM »

Considering how long they've been on tour, I'm sure the "famous" people the BBs have met number in the hundreds. Just the people who have opened for them (or whom they've opened for) alone would constitute a good hunk of well-known folks. Add into that regularly working in the LA area, and I'm sure there's a ton of people, especially if we're just talking about people they met once.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:12:26 AM »

I think at least Carl knew Dean Martin, Desi Arnez and Lucille Ball. 

I've always wondered about how Carl's being married to Dean Martin's daughter may have opened a window of knowing all sorts of Rat Pack members. Could this be the connection that led to Brian trying to get Adult/Child material to Frank Sinatra?

Not to mention how being married to Billy Hinsche's sister may have led to Carl knowing Desi and Lucy. Growing up as a kid in the '50s, I'd assume Carl and the Boys would have watched their fair share of I Love Lucy episodes, so it must have been a bit of a trip if Carl later became friends with them.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 08:13:55 AM »

Considering how long they've been on tour, I'm sure the "famous" people the BBs have met number in the hundreds. Just the people who have opened for them (or whom they've opened for) alone would constitute a good hunk of well-known folks. Add into that regularly working in the LA area, and I'm sure there's a ton of people, especially if we're just talking about people they met once.

Totally. Although I'd venture to guess the number is in the thousands...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 08:41:20 AM »

I've always wondered about how Carl's being married to Dean Martin's daughter may have opened a window of knowing all sorts of Rat Pack members. Could this be the connection that led to Brian trying to get Adult/Child material to Frank Sinatra?

Not to mention how being married to Billy Hinsche's sister may have led to Carl knowing Desi and Lucy. Growing up as a kid in the '50s, I'd assume Carl and the Boys would have watched their fair share of I Love Lucy episodes, so it must have been a bit of a trip if Carl later became friends with them.

It really never occurred to me until I saw a photo of Carl's wedding with Dean Martin and others.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 08:43:52 AM »

I know this isn't the same as knowing but the only other group that I have been into as much as the Beach Boys were the Marx Brothers. There is a 1974 Australia radio interview where Brian is staring at a picture and the host informs him that It's Groucho. Brian laughs and says 'high Groucho!' Makes me so happy!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:03:19 AM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »

Carl married Gina in I think 1987, and Adult/Child was from 10 years earlier when he was still married to his first wife.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »

Carl married Gina in I think 1987, and Adult/Child was from 10 years earlier when he was still married to his first wife.

Yeah, but even though it was years before marrying Gina, Carl would have already presumably known Dean Martin as early as the mid/late 60s from the BB/Billy Hinsche/Dino Desi & Billy connection. How well they'd have known each other at that point, is of course, anyone's gusss.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 09:47:05 AM »

I think at least Carl knew Dean Martin,

Yep, pretty sure he knew his father-in-law  Wink

BTW the Sunflower cover shot was taken on Dino's property.
At Carl and Gina's wedding all of the Beach Boys and Dean were present as far as I know. In fact I just read it a couple of days ago but don't remember where...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 09:53:32 AM »

What's the connection between Billy and Desi and Lucy ?

bb4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 09:58:31 AM »

Billy is the Billy of "Dino, Desi, & Billy".   Desi is the son of Lucy and Desi Arnez.

jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 10:02:17 AM »

Duh!! I knew that....or at least I did at one time. Old age is a bitch !
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 10:12:44 AM »

Tim Allen . . . "Home Improvement"

Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor . . . and neighbor Wilson

The guys appeared and sang on the program.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 11:28:27 AM »

Muhammad Ali...who came to enjoy that special night.  You know...when Mike made speech[es].  Ahhh!
Santa Claus...who obviously inspired several lps.   Old Man
Me. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 05:02:57 AM »

There is picture in Al's official site where he stands with the actress who played Cruella de Vil in "101 Dalmatians". Maybe some of you'd seen it.
In David's flickr he was smiling with Nicholas Cage, the guy kin to Coppola clan.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 05:04:09 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 05:42:03 AM »

This one springs to mind. It might be the weirdest.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 05:45:13 AM »

Who is there? It doesn't show.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 06:14:00 AM »

It's Brian and Al with Kanye West during the recording of the "We Are the World" remake. They also managed to catch Tony Bennett in the middle of a reverie.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 06:31:28 AM »

Muhammad Ali...who came to enjoy that special night.  You know...when Mike made speech[es].  Ahhh!
Santa Claus...who obviously inspired several lps.   Old Man
Me. Wink
As for the Mike/Muhammad Ali connection at the HOF speech debacle, when Mike returned to his table after his great moment, Ali congratulated him: "You rocked, Mike" (according to Mike on the Howard Stern show). I can dig the attraction...he was mimicking the master with his I am the Greatest rant...     
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx