gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:39:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 1 through the years....  (Read 1950 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2016, 05:29:12 AM »

May 1 1963 the BBs played at the Sports Center Roller Rink, Wichita, KS on their first tour of the Midwest.  May 1 1966 the BBs returned to the Memorial Auditorium in Worcester, MA for a show with opening act Vermont band the Lost.  May 1 1967-while the BBs flew to Europe to prepare for a tour, Carl was in court over his draft status (He’d been arrested on Apr 26 before the Commack show in NY and ordered to appear in court in LA). May 1 1971 the BBs played at the anti-war May Day Rally in Washington DC-part of Rieley’s attempts to ingratiate them with the counter-culture.  Silent footage of this exists and a short bit was used in the 1980s American Band documentary. May 1 1975 to warm up before their big tour with Chicago, the BBs played a show at Municipal Auditorium in Austin, TX.  May 1 1978 Dennis worked on Baby Blue and Mexico at the soon to be sold Brother Studios. May 1 1981 the BBs played the first of two nights at Valley Forge Music Fair, Devon, PA without Carl.  May 1 1990 the BBs played at the Sports Arena in San Diego with Three Dog Night and America. May 1 1993 the BBs performed at Boonesfield College of the Desert in Palm Springs, CA and at the Marriot Hotel in Palm Desert, CA. May 1 1998 Mike appeared at the Nascar Night in Hollywood awards Show on TV.  On same day Brian taped his interview for the Endless Harmony documentary at home in St Charles, IL
Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 06:02:22 AM »

Very interesting! When I'm looking at the history of this band or others, I often see recurring dates and think "wow, they must have been pretty busy on that day through the years." Now you've gone through and provided a cool example of that! I wonder if they ever thought back to previous years going forward. I would assume not, as the life of a Beach Boy seems too eventful to think back to any one particular concert or studio date without there being a bigger connection there.

I also think it's interesting that they toured (or at least played) with Three Dog Night in 1990. Would there have been any leftover "Time To Get Alone" animosity, or any connection left between Brian and Danny Hutton? Well, actually, did Brian even play that day (there's probably a resource for concert lineups that I'm not tapping into)? I need to get the Beach Boys In Concert book!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 06:22:25 AM »

It's truly amazing how many gigs they have played over the years!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:59:32 AM »

I don't think Brian was at the 1990 show (though he did play some 1990 shows). But the Three Dog Night thing had been patched up by that time. Don't forget that they performed with the BBs on the 25th Anniversary show in Hawaii (taped in 1986)
Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 07:06:32 AM »

I see! I didn't know they had played together at the 25th Anniversary show; just goes to show that there's always more to learn for me. It's good everything was patched up, as quality vocal bands such as The Beach Boys, Three Dog Night, and others should have each others' backs to help propagate the excellence of harmonies within the realm of popular music.

I remember a member compiling a chart a while back that showcased the number of concerts played by the band every year and contrasted that with Brian's involvement per year. By the 1990s, the ratio of non-attended shows to attended shows by him seemed much larger.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 07:39:35 AM »

He was still with Landy at that time and was working on the ultimately unreleased sweet insanity lp. So he didn't tour but filled in for occasional dates when mike or al couldn't make a show.
Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 08:30:38 AM »

Okay, that makes sense to me. Thankfully he wouldn't be with Landy too much longer after that. I enjoy Sweet Insanity in the capacity that it's been released through varying levels of legitimacy. Funny enough, the first time I drove by myself once I got my driver's license, it was my own homemade Sweet Insanity (version one) CD that I listened to! I don't know why that album and not one of the more popular ones in hindsight, but I had that CD in rotation in my car for awhile. I think I'll break it out again today!
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 10:40:36 AM »

May 1 1963 the BBs played at the Sports Center Roller Rink, Wichita, KS on their first tour of the Midwest.  May 1 1966 the BBs returned to the Memorial Auditorium in Worcester, MA for a show with opening act Vermont band the Lost.  May 1 1967-while the BBs flew to Europe to prepare for a tour, Carl was in court over his draft status (He’d been arrested on Apr 26 before the Commack show in NY and ordered to appear in court in LA). May 1 1971 the BBs played at the anti-war May Day Rally in Washington DC-part of Rieley’s attempts to ingratiate them with the counter-culture.  Silent footage of this exists and a short bit was used in the 1980s American Band documentary. May 1 1975 to warm up before their big tour with Chicago, the BBs played a show at Municipal Auditorium in Austin, TX.  May 1 1978 Dennis worked on Baby Blue and Mexico at the soon to be sold Brother Studios. May 1 1981 the BBs played the first of two nights at Valley Forge Music Fair, Devon, PA without Carl.  May 1 1990 the BBs played at the Sports Arena in San Diego with Three Dog Night and America. May 1 1993 the BBs performed at Boonesfield College of the Desert in Palm Springs, CA and at the Marriot Hotel in Palm Desert, CA. May 1 1998 Mike appeared at the Nascar Night in Hollywood awards Show on TV.  On same day Brian taped his interview for the Endless Harmony documentary at home in St Charles, IL

Now, we can expect you to do this everyday for the rest of the year, right?  Azn
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 11:41:58 AM »

Now, we can expect you to do this everyday for the rest of the year, right?  Azn

I was thinking the same thing!
Really enjoyed your post, Ian.  Thanks!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 01:59:45 AM »

With the utmost respect for Ian Rusten, I keep reading the subject as "May I through the years....". As in "Mother May I". Grin

[Edit] It now occurs to me that there's a real connection with your and Jon Stebbins' book, where all the 1's in the storyline have been designed as I's. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 03:05:14 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx