gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:28:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBs headlining Memorial Day concert in DC  (Read 9071 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 08:35:05 AM »

If Mike and Bruce stopped calling their band "The Beach Boys", there'd be about 37 hardcore fans that would be much more at ease and would finally go see their show. They'd also then lose most of their bookings because there are about as many promoters looking to book "Mike's Love's Endless Summer Beach Band" as those who want to book "Al Jardine's Endless Summer Band."

I think the chances of Mike doing a solo a cappella rendition of "Sweet Insanity" in its entirety is more likely than Mike giving up using the "Beach Boys" name.

True enough. 

I surely get the logistics.  I've paid decent money for tickets despite my slight reservations regarding the name.  And I've always said, as long as they can't release any albums (which they can't), I'm OK with it. 

How about "Mike Love and Bruce Johnston's Super Fun Time Beach Boys Party"?

But, just to play devil's advocate....Queen + Paul Rodgers and Queen + Adam Lambert had no trouble filling venues. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 08:39:05 AM »

I'd love to see David join any of the touring lineups for a show!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:40:52 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 02:24:44 PM »

I look at it this way - sometimes (yes, I admit to conflicted feelings): Mike and his guys are playing a show of Beach Boys music. It's not Mike Love and Bruce Johnston  presenting an evening of songs they have done on the their own, it's the greatest hits of a band they were part of for many years. So in that sense, it's not false advertising. Bands change members through the years, so it's not really any different than seeing the current touring lineup of the Grass Roots, the Monkees, or Paul Revere's Raiders. Personally, though, I would prefer they use the billing "Mike Love's Beach Boys" (Joey Molland from Badfinger does shows with his band as "Joey Molland's Badfinger" - it can't be the original group, cause the other 3 guys are dead). Brian's group could just as easily be called The Beach Boys, especially with Al Jardine as one of the members. They give you the same thing Mike's band gives you - a couple hours of Beach Boys hits. It's not like a BW solo show features a lot of tracks from the albums he's done apart from the group. But I agree that for these high profile gigs like DC, it would be nice to have all of the principals back together.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 04:36:48 PM »

Does anybody know how many people The Beach Boys will be performing for at this Memorial Day concert? I like it when The Beach Boys play large shows in the U.S. on holidays like Memorial Day and July 4th. Their music is such a perfect fit.
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 05:07:22 AM »

PBS has uploaded the whole show here: https://youtu.be/dTNNU7qzcWc

The Beach Boys section starts at 3:57:00 The times for the video seem to be shifting, I hope it doesn´t disappear...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:11:14 AM by Cristian Kiper » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 06:39:48 AM »

I watched it last night, and it was fun. The vocals were heavily autotuned, but it was great nonetheless.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 06:48:27 AM »

Queen + Adam Lambert had no trouble filling venues. 

That was a thing?!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 07:06:53 AM »

Jeff and his band did a nice little set.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 07:30:24 AM »

Sounded good to me! Great show, very moving tribute to our men & women who gave their lives for the USA!

Cook pork throughly
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 09:16:52 AM »

Mike sounded good on Surfin USA, but I found the movement of his hands during Good Vibrations strange and annoying.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 09:26:44 AM »

Mike sounded good on Surfin USA, but I found the movement of his hands during Good Vibrations strange and annoying.

I feel all his hand movements are dumb and annoying, same with (in fact moreso) with Brian.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 10:58:02 AM »

Bruce's keyboard was missed greatly.
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »

The music was clearly pre-recorded. No guitar pedals, no drum mics, voices all pitch-corrected.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2016, 11:13:29 AM »

Figures Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2016, 11:16:19 AM »

JF sounded great on Good Vibrations.  Just wish it was actually live.  Besides the obvious things mentioned above like the autotune and lack of guitar pedals (not to mention no vocal mic on Cowsill), this part made me laugh: https://youtu.be/eF8JIoAp310?t=389 

Ooops.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2016, 11:26:46 AM »

I wonder do they actually tell Mike that they are completely "fixing" his voice or do they pass it off as some sort of modern effect that everyone is using. Jeff seems delighted with his own robotic sound.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 11:36:35 AM »

That was a thing?!
Yes! And what a good thing it was!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 12:21:14 PM »

But what would a BB show be without his clapping and those shorts?
KDS
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2016, 06:30:53 AM »

That was a thing?!
Yes! And what a good thing it was!

I'm not a fan of Lambert's music, but he was a great fit for Queen.   I wish I'd have been able to get a ticket when they came to town two summers ago. 
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2016, 06:43:53 AM »

"The Beach Boys will be the headliners for this year’s Memorial Day concert on the lawn of the U.S. Capitol."

http://pagesix.com/2016/04/28/beach-boys-to-headline-memorial-day-concert-in-dc/

Don't know if this has been posted yet. Seems pretty high profile for the Boys.

COMMENT:   (Previously posted on May 30  '16)

You may view the Washington DC National Memorial Day Concert for 2016 at >>> http://www.pbs.org/video/2365765896/

THE BEACH BOYS segment starts at 42:00 minutes into the presentation.

Excellent production values and performance by all.
  ~swd
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2016, 06:59:37 AM »

I wonder do they actually tell Mike that they are completely "fixing" his voice or do they pass it off as some sort of modern effect that everyone is using. Jeff seems delighted with his own robotic sound.

I doubt Mike was heavily involved with that sort of pre-production. However, based on his comments about Brian and Al's "The Right Time" last year, Mike knows what autotune is and certainly could demand/ask that no such effects (which, in that interview last year, Mike seems to feel is a disagreeable effect) be used.

There's also a very similar sound (whether autotune or some other excessive processing) on Mike's "Alone on Christmas Day" single from last year.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx