gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:24:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBs headlining Memorial Day concert in DC  (Read 9113 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2016, 12:39:25 PM »

"The Beach Boys will be the headliners for this year’s Memorial Day concert on the lawn of the U.S. Capitol."

http://pagesix.com/2016/04/28/beach-boys-to-headline-memorial-day-concert-in-dc/

Don't know if this has been posted yet. Seems pretty high profile for the Boys.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:42:32 PM »

"The Beach Boys will be the headliners for this year’s Memorial Day concert on the lawn of the U.S. Capitol."

http://pagesix.com/2016/04/28/beach-boys-to-headline-memorial-day-concert-in-dc/

I wonder if any well known politicians will be there, I imagine many of them grew up listening to the BBs when they first arrived onto the scene. (or when Endless Summer hit record stores   Grin )
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:43:56 PM by BachelorsDegreeInBullets » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
KDS
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »

That's a pretty cool gig for Mike and Bruce.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 01:21:24 PM »

Very cool indeed...no way in hell I'd try to go...driving in the heart of DC memorial day weekend, fighting the crowds on the lawn...to probably hear California Girls, Barbara Ann, Surfin USA...and maybe even Kokomo!  LOL    I'll watch from home  Grin
KDS
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »

Very cool indeed...no way in hell I'd try to go...driving in the heart of DC memorial day weekend, fighting the crowds on the lawn...to probably hear California Girls, Barbara Ann, Surfin USA...and maybe even Kokomo!  LOL    I'll watch from home  Grin

You could always use the Metro, but that'll be crazy that day. 

We might be going to the beach that weekend.  We'll listen to some Beach Boys on the way. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »

Live coverage on PBS.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »

Live coverage on PBS.

I'll likely set the DVR. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 01:48:03 PM »

Live coverage on PBS.
I imagine their are just a small part of a big show. Not a repeat of their 80's concerts.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »

The bureaucrats may think that they have booked an iteration with Brian in the lineup and be in for a rude awakening (not that the touring BBs have no merit).

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »

Considering PBS did a Brian special, I doubt it.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »

I wonder if any well known politicians will be there, I imagine many of them grew up listening to the BBs when they first arrived onto the scene. (or when Endless Summer hit record stores   Grin )

Bernie is the same age as Brian!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 03:49:08 PM »

America's Band will come out rockin' with Rhonda and Barbara Ann.  Singin' of surf and sand. At least I assume that's the master plan.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 04:16:51 PM »

Instead of bringing surf boards to the concert, how about a coffin with James Watt's name on it......probably have to be at least 45 to get this I suppose
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 04:27:42 PM »

Instead of bringing surf boards to the concert, how about a coffin with James Watt's name on it......probably have to be at least 45 to get this I suppose

I'm 30 and I get it. But only from reading about the incident in later years.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »

Sounds like a fun concert.  And although there are other performers, it does say they're headlining.  A nice new tradition in keeping with the old 4th of July concerts.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 04:57:16 PM »

This is not the first time. They were there back 10-11 years ago. I remember Bruce running up to Mike to shake his hand when the show concluded. It was like congratulating him on maintaining their relevance. I felt that way.
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 06:40:39 PM »

This is not the first time. They were there back 10-11 years ago. I remember Bruce running up to Mike to shake his hand when the show concluded. It was like congratulating him on maintaining their relevance. I felt that way.

LOL

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 10:20:40 PM »

This is a perfect example of the kind of thing they should all be doing together. They should have made a plan after 2012 to get back together for major major shows like this especially in the nation's capital. That Mike would want to do this without Brian and Dave is just really sad and ridiculous
KDS
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 05:06:58 AM »

The bureaucrats may think that they have booked an iteration with Brian in the lineup and be in for a rude awakening (not that the touring BBs have no merit).

I doubt the bureaucrats in DC could even name one member of The Beach Boys, past or present.
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 07:15:17 AM »

That Mike would want to do this without Brian and Dave is just really sad and ridiculous

Or Al!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 07:17:32 AM »

Or Zeppo Wilson

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 07:20:11 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if David plays... That would be a treat. It's great when he joins M+B.

To be honest, even if it just ends up being Mike, Bruce, and their band, it'll be a good time. Mike's band, under the leadership of ST, has really refined their sound. I saw them in 2014, with RK still  Embarrassed, and they sounded great. Even though it would be a little depressing to have no Brian, Al, and Dave, Mike and Bruce will do the music justice.
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 07:22:31 AM »

Or Zeppo Wilson

LOL  LOL

KDS
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 07:38:33 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if David plays... That would be a treat. It's great when he joins M+B.

To be honest, even if it just ends up being Mike, Bruce, and their band, it'll be a good time. Mike's band, under the leadership of ST, has really refined their sound. I saw them in 2014, with RK still  Embarrassed, and they sounded great. Even though it would be a little depressing to have no Brian, Al, and Dave, Mike and Bruce will do the music justice.

I couldn't agree more.   I've seen Mike and Bruce twice in the last year.  Once with David Marks, and put on a great show. 

Should they be called The Beach Boys?  Legally, yes.  Ethically, eh, that's up for debate. 

But, it's a great concert. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 08:29:16 AM »

If Mike and Bruce stopped calling their band "The Beach Boys", there'd be about 37 hardcore fans that would be much more at ease and would finally go see their show. They'd also then lose most of their bookings because there are about as many promoters looking to book "Mike's Love's Endless Summer Beach Band" as those who want to book "Al Jardine's Endless Summer Band."

I think the chances of Mike doing a solo a cappella rendition of "Sweet Insanity" in its entirety is more likely than Mike giving up using the "Beach Boys" name.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx