gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:23:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's musical arrangement inspirations for (primarily) Pet Sounds and Smile  (Read 8570 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 11:46:46 PM »

Heroes and Villains sounds far more like Save The Last Dance For Me by Ike and Tina Turner than RDMH. In fact it's , well extremely close.
The Indian noises from Worms are a lift from Running Bear by Johnny Preston.
Many of the arrangement ideas (not executions) are quite Charles Ives. Ives wrote many pieces about Americana and you can "see" the things the music was about. Two examples being Halloween (see Mrs O'Leary's Cow) and The Hook, The Gong and The Ladder. Central Park In The Dark is another classic visual piece of his.
If you cross Ives with Carl Stalling's cartoon music and mixed in with The Four Freshman and Spector on acid you get pretty close to Smile.
I don't know how familiar Brian was with Ives work but I can well imagine Van Dyke was at least aware of him....that whole approach of music actually sounding like what it's about is very Ives - the breezy marimba on Wind Chimes, the cello run and fuzz bass representing the train and the plink plink of the pickaxes on the railroad, jewellry percussion, babies wah wah on Child IFOTM etc..
I cannot help thinking that Van Dyke had some influence on this as it did not really occur again after Smile with notable exceptions including Diamond Head. I wish Van Dyke had had some decent input into the box set. I imagine he could still respond with interesting information if asked the right questions.

This is brilliant!!

+1

“We live in divisive times.”
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 02:15:15 AM »

I surmise that Disney cartoons and Looney Tunes influenced the arrangements for Smile. I have no evidence, however.

The influence of Disney's mentioned in the Charles Granata PS book, quoting Hal Lifson, though its not clear what their evidence is either.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 05:50:28 AM »

Some excellent insights in this thread for sure. You'd be surprised how many of the songs on Pet Sounds have a foundation i-iv-v chord progression and/or i-iv progression, in major and minor keys. For example, the verses in Wouldn't It Be Nice are F-Bb-C7 with the bridge F#m-Bm. The complexity of these songs (and others on Pet Sounds) comes from the bass notes, which many other artists such as Paul McCartney and Elton John have attested to and have been influenced by it in their own music.

There are some songs that take these basic foundations even further, centring on two chords. For example, the famous French Horn introduction to God Only Knows is A-E and the main chords to Here Today in the verse is Bm-A and Chorus D-A. I believe that Brian took this basic two chord foundation, incorporating complex melody arrangements, even further with SMiLE. I know that Tobias Bernard wrote a great article on the music of SMiLE espousing the two-chord theory on the old Smile Shop site.

A friend of mine told me that the two-chord song structure on many songs on SMiLE was influenced by 1920s American jazz which would be understandable in light of the Americana theme of the album.

One thing I know for sure is that the music of SMiLE is anything but basic, Brian took these basic two-chords movements to a whole other level. (For example, the Gm7/D-Dm7/G verse chords on Surf's Up or the F7-Bb on the verse and Gm-C7 'Bicylcle Rider' section of Do You Like Worms?)

One thing I was thinking about, just this week, is that Pet Sounds has mostly traditional introductions on each song (excepting That's Not Me, Don't Talk, Here Today and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times) whereas the SMiLE-era songs differed by beginning with the verse mainly (Heroes and Villains, Cabinessence, Wonderful, Surf's Up, Vegetables, Wind Chimes and Good Vibrations).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:52:24 AM by John Stivaktas » Logged

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 07:14:22 AM »

His inspiration for arrangements??

Acid and Pot probably.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »

Some excellent insights in this thread for sure. You'd be surprised how many of the songs on Pet Sounds have a foundation i-iv-v chord progression and/or i-iv progression, in major and minor keys. For example, the verses in Wouldn't It Be Nice are F-Bb-C7 with the bridge F#m-Bm. The complexity of these songs (and others on Pet Sounds) comes from the bass notes, which many other artists such as Paul McCartney and Elton John have attested to and have been influenced by it in their own music.

There are some songs that take these basic foundations even further, centring on two chords. For example, the famous French Horn introduction to God Only Knows is A-E and the main chords to Here Today in the verse is Bm-A and Chorus D-A. I believe that Brian took this basic two chord foundation, incorporating complex melody arrangements, even further with SMiLE. I know that Tobias Bernard wrote a great article on the music of SMiLE espousing the two-chord theory on the old Smile Shop site.

A friend of mine told me that the two-chord song structure on many songs on SMiLE was influenced by 1920s American jazz which would be understandable in light of the Americana theme of the album.

One thing I know for sure is that the music of SMiLE is anything but basic, Brian took these basic two-chords movements to a whole other level. (For example, the Gm7/D-Dm7/G verse chords on Surf's Up or the F7-Bb on the verse and Gm-C7 'Bicylcle Rider' section of Do You Like Worms?)

One thing I was thinking about, just this week, is that Pet Sounds has mostly traditional introductions on each song (excepting That's Not Me, Don't Talk, Here Today and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times) whereas the SMiLE-era songs differed by beginning with the verse mainly (Heroes and Villains, Cabinessence, Wonderful, Surf's Up, Vegetables, Wind Chimes and Good Vibrations).
I'm so glad I posted the question, because I'm learning so much. I grew up hearing a lot of jazz and always thought there was some heavy jazz influence beyond the vocal arrangements on both of those albums (or whatever we should call Smile) both in the inherent structure of the music and in the arrangement/instrumentation. I also hear it in some earlier songs like Little Girl I Once Knew and Let Him Run Wild.

I also hear the movie influence - I was driving with my daughter yesterday while she was watching "The Red Balloon" on her iPad. Hearing the score while not watching, I noticed the similarity in instrumentation. The musical structure is not so similar, but the instrumentation was in ways. Living in LA and working with musicians who worked on film scores, I can see where the influence might have seeped in.

And, I've been listening to some Ives since reading ash's post, and I'm definitely hearing that link.
I love this.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:00:12 PM by Emily » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 09:05:18 AM »

I think the verse of "Heroes and Villains" is heavily inspired by "River Deep – Mountain High"
I don't hear that in the arrangement, but I absolutely do in the rhythm and chords.

Really? I think the cellos are a pretty obvious point of comparison.
I'm just trying to compare in my head. I'll try to actually listen when I get home tonight.

I hear it in the melody. Compare the descending line of "RDMH" beginning at the word "girl" (..."girl I had a rag doll") with the initial descending line of melody of "H&V". Both begin on the subdominant----a most unusual move----only "H&V" cuts out the initial ascent to that note...         

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 09:11:47 AM »

I think the verse of "Heroes and Villains" is heavily inspired by "River Deep – Mountain High"
I don't hear that in the arrangement, but I absolutely do in the rhythm and chords.

Really? I think the cellos are a pretty obvious point of comparison.
I'm just trying to compare in my head. I'll try to actually listen when I get home tonight.

I hear it in the melody. Compare the descending line of "RDMH" beginning at the word "girl" (..."girl I had a rag doll") with the initial descending line of melody of "H&V". Both begin on the subdominant----a most unusual move----only "H&V" cuts out the initial ascent to that note...         
I hear it in the melody as well. And I get what I Do It All for You is saying about the arrangement. In the specifics - what instrument and where it's played - there may be a lot of similarity between Spector and B. Wilson, but the final sound is so different to me - B. Wilson's has so much clarity and specificity, and Spector's is so muddy - that I find it hard to call them similar.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 09:50:43 AM »

Calling brief attention to a reply of mine to Fishmonk (a very interesting SSer who unaccountably changed his name to "Dunderhead" and has been "lost and gone and unknown" in these parts for nearly a year, from a thread about "With Me Tonight", dating back to August 2012, that deals with Spector, the "wall," and Brian's response to it as a composer/arranger. First, Fishmonk:

With Smile Brian had to branch out from the orchestral formula used by Spector, he needed to expand his palette in order for the color of each song's production would match the lyrical content. This lead Brian to really break out of the 20 musician formula that he had learned from Spector, he started using instruments that Spector never thought to use, and he started getting much more expressive and controlled playing out of his musicians. This afforded him with substantially greater control over the actual orchestral flavor of a recording, but it came at a price. Because he had become more efficient, he was able to use fewer instruments, say 4 instead of 20. But those 16 players were the thing that allowed the 'wall of sound' to hit its critical mass.

Essentially Brian had lost the volume and presence that he had gotten using the more Spector-ish formula. So he was trapped in a vicious circle, more formulaic orchestration, or less wall of sound.

Then my response:

Spector's musical sources were clustered around Brill Building pop, particularly the strain that would morph into blue-eyed soul. Wedding that to "the wall" was saturation, overkill, but the voices/vocal arrangements were if anything more formulaic than the "wall" itself. (Only Tina Turner was able to "defeat" the wall, being a truly primal soul singer.)

Brian already had his own "wall"--which was the band's vocal blend. It, too, was formulaic at first--but Brian kept experimenting with it, giving it a wider range of tonal color, a more encompassing range of timbres, and the flexibility to be both powerful and intricate simultaneously.

Once Brian was in the thrall of Spector, he really had two "walls", and he began exploiting that with a vengeance around the time of Today. '65 is when he moved past Spector's wall into a realm of synthesis all his own. As you say, that became more sophisticated and the instrumentation became much more individually expressive with Pet Sounds. And I think it's exactly right that a portion of the Smile material began to clash with that approach, even with the successful arrangement innovations and mind-blowing sounds in the backing tracks of "Cabinessence" and "Surf's Up" (first movement). It's actually "Surf's Up" that points to the dilemma, which is that "chamber music" is not compatible with symphonies (pocket or otherwise).

Trying to synthesize "Heroes & Villains" into a chamber symphony seems to have been the killing blow for Smile in '67. The competing impulses between chamber music and symphony were all resolved in the direction of a capella intimacy for Smiley Smile. Once he had that Baldwin organ, he could take a stand and make entirely different genres of Beach Boy music built around it--and the remaining "wall" he still had at his disposal.--the voices in the band.  And that's what he did, with great success but slowly decreasing frequency, over the next four years, until he hit a third wall--the wall of depression, auditory hallucination, and drug abuse.

All this is probably more abstract than what's been posted here thus far, but hopefully it has some contextual value...
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »

Calling brief attention to a reply of mine to Fishmonk (a very interesting SSer who unaccountably changed his name to "Dunderhead" and has been "lost and gone and unknown" in these parts for nearly a year, from a thread about "With Me Tonight", dating back to August 2012, that deals with Spector, the "wall," and Brian's response to it as a composer/arranger. First, Fishmonk:

With Smile Brian had to branch out from the orchestral formula used by Spector, he needed to expand his palette in order for the color of each song's production would match the lyrical content. This lead Brian to really break out of the 20 musician formula that he had learned from Spector, he started using instruments that Spector never thought to use, and he started getting much more expressive and controlled playing out of his musicians. This afforded him with substantially greater control over the actual orchestral flavor of a recording, but it came at a price. Because he had become more efficient, he was able to use fewer instruments, say 4 instead of 20. But those 16 players were the thing that allowed the 'wall of sound' to hit its critical mass.

Essentially Brian had lost the volume and presence that he had gotten using the more Spector-ish formula. So he was trapped in a vicious circle, more formulaic orchestration, or less wall of sound.

Then my response:

Spector's musical sources were clustered around Brill Building pop, particularly the strain that would morph into blue-eyed soul. Wedding that to "the wall" was saturation, overkill, but the voices/vocal arrangements were if anything more formulaic than the "wall" itself. (Only Tina Turner was able to "defeat" the wall, being a truly primal soul singer.)

Brian already had his own "wall"--which was the band's vocal blend. It, too, was formulaic at first--but Brian kept experimenting with it, giving it a wider range of tonal color, a more encompassing range of timbres, and the flexibility to be both powerful and intricate simultaneously.

Once Brian was in the thrall of Spector, he really had two "walls", and he began exploiting that with a vengeance around the time of Today. '65 is when he moved past Spector's wall into a realm of synthesis all his own. As you say, that became more sophisticated and the instrumentation became much more individually expressive with Pet Sounds. And I think it's exactly right that a portion of the Smile material began to clash with that approach, even with the successful arrangement innovations and mind-blowing sounds in the backing tracks of "Cabinessence" and "Surf's Up" (first movement). It's actually "Surf's Up" that points to the dilemma, which is that "chamber music" is not compatible with symphonies (pocket or otherwise).

Trying to synthesize "Heroes & Villains" into a chamber symphony seems to have been the killing blow for Smile in '67. The competing impulses between chamber music and symphony were all resolved in the direction of a capella intimacy for Smiley Smile. Once he had that Baldwin organ, he could take a stand and make entirely different genres of Beach Boy music built around it--and the remaining "wall" he still had at his disposal.--the voices in the band.  And that's what he did, with great success but slowly decreasing frequency, over the next four years, until he hit a third wall--the wall of depression, auditory hallucination, and drug abuse.

All this is probably more abstract than what's been posted here thus far, but hopefully it has some contextual value...
That's a great exchange and really clarifies some of the challenges on Smile - trying to synthesize two very complex and different forms. Thanks.
And what Fishmonk says about Spector v B. Wilson is exactly along the lines of my thoughts. But I don't feel like losing the 'wall' is a problem. I prefer the "more expressive and controlled playing" of Pet Sounds and Smile by far.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 01:13:41 PM »

See, this is the stuff I wanna see more of in this forum!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »

Could Smile be a cross between Burt Bacharach and The Mother of Invention? Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2016, 01:22:15 AM »

Could Smile be a cross between Burt Bacharach and The Mother of Invention? Smiley

Maybe! I certainly see the Frank Zappa connection. Zappa's notion of "conceptual continuity" is not that far away from how Brian conceived the "modules" of Smile

On a more literal level, the trumpet melody at 6:25 could be a line from a Zappa composition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZJrDI6NUj0

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2016, 01:26:39 PM »

Then my response:

This is among the most enlightening of correspondences I've seen on the board in all of my time lurking here. It puts the post-Smile era into such an excellent frame of reference! To me, the Smiley Smile and beyond era (extending even as far as Holland) was not a regression from Pet Sounds and Smile, but rather a progression sideways into new musical adventures. This entire topic is full of great information. Thank you for starting it, Emily!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2016, 03:54:49 PM »

This is surely the kind of thread which is needed here. A consideration of the music, which produces some fascinating information and opinion.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2016, 04:04:46 PM »

Hi all,

Brain wanted to try new things. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2016, 01:46:27 AM »

This is surely the kind of thread which is needed here. A consideration of the music, which produces some fascinating information and opinion.

Agreed! Maybe it's the rose-coloured glasses thing, but it seems that threads like this were the norm just a few years back...   

mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2016, 02:16:49 PM »

The Four Freshmen were influenced by Stan Kenton.  I've never seen anything written about instrumental jazz that Brian would have listened to, but I wouldn't be surprised if he checked out some Kenton in the old days.  I'm sure he was aware of people like Pete Rugolo and Nelson Riddle from seeing their names on album covers.  I wonder if he watched Peter Gunn or M Squad, which were among the first TV series to feature jazz in the late '50s?

Brian doesn't strike me as a guy who was listening to the entire output of specific artists by the mid '60s (he was busy doing his own stuff).  If he heard something by, say, Miles Davis, he'd pick up on whatever struck his fancy; I don't see him going to Wallichs Music City and coming out with a stack of Miles Davis LPs.

George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue was one of his first musical memories, and I'm sure the young Brian played every record in the house in Hawthorne at least once.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2016, 03:16:03 AM »

I'm not aware of Brian being into straight instrumental jazz (but then Rhapsody in Blue uses jazz) but I think his production for PS and Smile was a mix of Spector and instrumental exotica ("tiki") music like Martin Denny and Les Baxter plus the more avant garde Esquivel.  Definitely hear that influence on the PS instrumentals and Smile stuff like Worms, Wind Chimes, Holidays, I Wanna Be Around/Friday Night (Workshop), Cabinessence.
See, here's some stuff that I don't know anything about. Could you give me some albums/tracks to look for?
Martin Denny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2dQ3WbcF44
Les Baxter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTwwnEggw24
Esquivel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVdPjAKWkao

While I'm not sure if there's much evidence that Brian was a fan of this music, it was a huge genre in the late 50's and 60's and I agree that its influence can be heard in his arrangements, specifically on Pet Sounds.

You can really hear the influence of Martin Denny's "Quiet Village" in the title track of PS, down to the triplets in the melody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcphJelpc_Y

zosobird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 06:16:29 AM »

I surmise that Disney cartoons and Looney Tunes influenced the arrangements for Smile. I have no evidence, however.

Raymond Scott perhaps. He was one of the early innovators of music recording and even electronic music. Much of his music employs sounds to mimic or represent different associations.  That said, some of his catalog served as a foundation for many of Stallings cartoon compositions.

For example:
New Year's Eve in a Haunted House
"New Years" party around 1:00-1:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOVPHObQH1I

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx