gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:50:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Prince  (Read 8005 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 03:55:37 PM »

Geez, 2016's turning out to be The Year The Music Died.....

Though I was never a huge fan of Prince, I certainly had a great amount of respect for him and his discography. Weirdly enough, was briefly talking about Prince with a friend just a few hours before his death was unannounced.....
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 04:10:52 PM »

This has become a sadly familiar ritual in 2016. Rest in peace & power, Prince. God Bless.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »

One of my biggest influences passes...man, this year...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »

The experience of Prince's death is unique for me. Other huge, huge superstars have died during my lifetime. It's not unique in that respect. I assume it's a Minneapolis thing. This morning I heard someone had died at Paisley Park, and it didn't take long before TMZ said it was Prince. A person never wants to believe such a thing. But...

When Michael Jackson died, the news spread. But it was nothing like this. Not only was my phone blowing up while I was working, but my work email, my personal email. Everyone I work with was saying the same thing. Some are music geeks, some are totally normal office types. But in Minneapolis, it seems everyone cares more about Prince. In fact, when I got home tonight, my mom called to talk about Prince. My mom is 70 years old and didn't like Prince. But everybody loves Prince whether they like him or not.

A few posters here have said they aren't familiar with him. Not that you'll have much choice in the inevitable barrage of marketing-driven reissues in the upcoming years, but I strongly advise you to dig in. This may be the genius of his generation, the genius of the '80s.

Minneapolis is a weird town, a mostly white place that has had enclaves of black culture for a few decades. Prince grew up in black neighborhoods with black musicians surrounded by white people, white musicians, and he absorbed all of it. You aren't going to find a black musician who had a better grasp on Led Zeppelin or the Beatles. And yet he also firmly grasped James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Parliament Funkadelic, Sly Stone. There was some jazz in there, but not enough (most of the time) to make the listening experience too difficult.

I saw him (I think) three times: a late 90s outdoor local festival (in which a white-suited Larry Graham preached the gospel and led the chant of "some bass, some bass, some bass in the place"); the miraculously glorious 2004 Musicology show; and a show where he backed one of his proteges, Tamar. He was the best entertainer and possibly the best live guitarist and singer I've ever seen. This was someone who could do anything, and he could do it better than your favorite musician.

This city had a love-hate relationship with him, especially as his weirdness grew and feuds with his label became public in the '90s and '00s. But he'd been having a renaissance in recent years, putting out more music, doing some interviews, allowing his longtime media rival, the Star Tribune's Jon Bream, into various events. I wish he had another decade or so to really re-establish himself here, and to enjoy the love from this city he deserved. The uneven catalog is nothing to think twice about: there isn't a decades-long artist without similar sketchy points.

Prince's highs were equal to the best highs there have ever been in American music. He was a singular talent.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 07:47:18 PM »

Captain, as a local, what can you tell us about Paisley Park? How it influenced Minneapolis and vice versa? How is it located within the Minneapolis environs? Is it remote, is it part of the fabric of the city? Is it, and was he, part of the regular consciousness of the city? Anecdotes?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »

Here's what fellow Minnesotan-musican Bob Mould had to say:
I never spoke with Prince. He always struck me as a private guy. Maybe he was shy around strangers. We never had much actual interaction – a couple nods in passing, but no real words were exchanged.

The Twin Cities of the 1980s was a very special time for all of us local musicians. There were the North Minneapolis R&B artists, the South Minneapolis guitar rock bands, and in the center of it all was First Avenue/7th Street Entry.

I’ve seen Prince perform sold out shows with The Revolution at First Ave, he and a rhythm section jamming as a guitar/bass/drums three piece in the Entry for 30 people, and was selfishly frustrated when he took over “the main room” for 25 days of filming Purple Rain.

I had the pleasure of spending seven days recording the basic tracks for my first solo album at Paisley Park in December 1988. It was the most professional studio I had ever seen at that point in my life. On the seventh day, I moved from the B room to Studio A, which was Prince’s primary room. I remember seeing Sheila E’s percussion in one of the isolation booths. The large control room was decorated with several of Prince’s scarves. It certainly felt like Prince’s home.

Prince was an artist through and through – always pushing himself to new levels, often creating controversy through his actions and words, and ultimately creating a lifetime of wonderful memories for the world with his incredible volumes of published (and unheard) works.

I heard the news while driving from Tomah WI to Minneapolis. I immediately flipped on The Current 89.3 FM to make sure what I was hearing was true. Sure enough, there was a live report from outside Paisley Park confirming the sad news of Prince’s passing.

I’m two blocks from First Avenue as I write these words. Friday and Saturday nights, I will walk that same stage we all know from the movie. The exterior walls of First Avenue are covered with stars to honor the musicians who made an impact on music fans in Minnesota.

Make no mistake: Prince was the brightest star in these Northern skies. My deepest condolences to his family, friends, and fellow musicians. Prince’s music will give consolation and comfort to the collective grief. Godspeed.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 11:35:24 PM »

A huge talent. RIP:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/prince-rip.html
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2016, 05:35:57 AM »

Captain, as a local, what can you tell us about Paisley Park? How it influenced Minneapolis and vice versa? How is it located within the Minneapolis environs? Is it remote, is it part of the fabric of the city? Is it, and was he, part of the regular consciousness of the city? Anecdotes?

Paisley Park isn't in Minneapolis at all. The sprawling home/studio/venue is in Chanhassan, a southwestern suburb probably 45 minutes or so from the heart of the city, depending on traffic. He built it after hitting superstardom, somewhere in the mid-80s. He recorded some of his albums (and other people's albums) there, I think starting with Around the World in a Day (but don't quote me on that), and other musicians used it as well. But the live venue was the far more important part to Minneapolitans: Prince would host dance parties and concerts there ... I was going to say often, and sometimes that's true, but sometimes you could go a long time with nothing. It seems to me he had been doing more since starting to work with 3rdEyeGirl, maybe 2 years ago. The most dependable things about those shows was that you couldn't depend on them. Almost inevitably announced (or rumored) the day of, sometimes they ended up being rumors, nothing at all. Or just dance parties with some DJ, but no live music and no Prince to be seen. Other times he might do a solo show, a full band show. His music, covers. Him singing, him drumming, him on bass, him on keys, him on guitar. Other local musicians, other nationally known musicians, current band members, potential future band members, (often) protege female singers... You had no idea what you were in for. He might play a huge role, he might just watch like a deist version of god. And Prince being Prince, they started when they started (if at all) and ended when they ended.

I wish I could tell you all more, but unfortunately while I was born and raised in Minnesota, I didn't move to Minneapolis until my junior year of college, 1996. That coincides with Prince's emancipation and Emancipation. By then, he was far beyond the tales of his early stardom, when he'd still walk around North Mpls, attend shows without entourage, shop at Ragstock to find stage costumes. By 1996, he was probably near the pinnacle of his weirdness and isolation. So he was more the subject of hero myths than a real person (outside of his work and shows). It was always about a club owner who had worked with him in 1981, a roommate whose uncle was an engineer at Paisley Park, a brother's college professor who played trumpet on recordings ... but not direct experiences. He was too big, too far removed from normal life by then. He also was living in L.A., Paris, and Toronto much of the time from the '90s onward (though back here more in recent years).

He still dominated the city in strange ways, though, as I said before, like a hero myth. If the Dakota Jazz Club had a night with no artist named, whispers would begin that it was Prince for a surprise, intimate show. If a part of some club was roped off, word was Prince was coming to see the show. Every club owner in town said that most of these were rumors, and even 9/10 of the time his people DID arrange for such things, Prince didn't show anyway. But sometimes he did. Your best odds were when he was already doing something. If he had a show at a major venue, there was a good bet he'd show up somewhere else and play, too, and then do an all-night party or show at Paisley Park. He could--and did--play music all night without repeating a song.

He engaged in a lot of guerilla marketing, too, resulting in albums advertised in ways no others were. I remember driving down Portland Avenue just south of downtown Minneapolis and seeing an entire construction area plastered with Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic posters, like wallpaper of blue-bodysuited Princes. It was similar for Emancipation.

Last night the city was purple, literally. The I-35 bridge was lit up purple, as was the IDS Center. There was an all-night dance party with thousands of people outside, and then inside, First Ave. It was still going on at around 7 this morning, and might still be now. I suppose it's always this way, but now that he's gone a lot of people are reawakening to how great he was, how big a role he played at some point in their lives.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2016, 06:22:06 AM »

That was exactly the kind of post I was looking for - you am gave me a good sense of his relationship with the city. Thanks. It's really rare and interesting for an artist that big to stay around his home town, make it his base, and really contribute to its life.
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:23:29 AM by Emily » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2016, 10:09:29 AM »

Captain, as a local, what can you tell us about Paisley Park?  How is it located within the Minneapolis environs? Is it remote, is it part of the fabric of the city?

Paisley Park isn't in Minneapolis at all.

Paisley Park is in your heart.

Please delete my account
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2016, 10:29:56 AM »

It is in Chanhassen.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2016, 11:25:44 AM »

Got it: Chanhassen.
 But for non-Minnesotans, the recognizable name of that urban area is Minneapolis.
Like Revere, MA. Where's that? Boston.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »

Got it: Chanhassen.
 But for non-Minnesotans, the recognizable name of that urban area is Minneapolis.
Like Revere, MA. Where's that? Boston.

Absolutely. For casual purposes, the only reason it's remotely relevant is to understand that going to a Paisley Park event wasn't going into the heart of downtown or some hip neighborhood, but rather a slog of substantial length along highways through an assortment of suburbs.

Beyond that, it's irrelevant. (As is Chanhassan henceforth.)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2016, 12:43:06 PM »

It is in Chanhassen.

With the new name, is it "Highlight Shitty Suburbs Day?"

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »

There's a long video on Youtube (about 30 minutes), where director Kevin Smith (not a huge fan of his, some of his work is OK) talks about how Prince asked him to direct a documentary about the release of one of his albums. The part that blew me away is that at one point, Prince's assistant tells Smith that she's directed 20 of Prince's music videos, and that they're for songs that haven't even been released. He just took them and put them away in 'The Vault'. That just seems incredible to me.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2016, 03:47:27 PM »

it is extremely hard to buy Prince music today; everything at amazon is out of stock. . . .he's obviously not on Rhapsody.  How can one get and play his albums today?
Can anyone confirm if he , a great soul, was half Italian? (beyond checking wikipedia. . . .)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2016, 04:16:39 PM »

There's a long video on Youtube (about 30 minutes), where director Kevin Smith (not a huge fan of his, some of his work is OK) talks about how Prince asked him to direct a documentary about the release of one of his albums. The part that blew me away is that at one point, Prince's assistant tells Smith that she's directed 20 of Prince's music videos, and that they're for songs that haven't even been released. He just took them and put them away in 'The Vault'. That just seems incredible to me.

The vault has been the stuff of legend for ... damn, decades. Rumors of collaborations with everyone (I mean, Miles Davis!?) have circulated. His posthumous catalogue may end up as remarkable as anyone's we've ever seen. That's assuming it is released, of course. Who knows what the instructions are. But there is serious money to be made.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2016, 04:18:11 PM »

it is extremely hard to buy Prince music today; everything at amazon is out of stock. . . .he's obviously not on Rhapsody.  How can one get and play his albums today?
Can anyone confirm if he , a great soul, was half Italian? (beyond checking wikipedia. . . .)
I don't think so. Both of his parents were African American, which of course doesn't preclude Italian ancestry, but makes 1/2 pretty unlikely.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2016, 05:13:54 PM »

Captain, what a terrific series of posts.

This one has left me gutted. I had just rounded out my Prince collection last year, getting everything except a few of his rare and thus expensive music club releases, though I grabbed a few of those, too (and downloaded, um, legally what I couldn't purchase). I'm glad I was able to now that everyone wants their pound of flesh. I can't blame them, supply and demand and all that, but still. 

Saw a clip of his last show and he still sounded great, which makes it worse I suppose--he wasn't done yet, not by a long shot.

I've always been skeptical of the "vault." The releases that did sneak out, while solid, were also packed with some filler, remixes and such (i.e. Crystal Ball). But with Prince, it's hard to say. Someone will be getting insanely rich off of it, and it won't be him. Such is life. Hopefully he left it to someone who can curate it properly, if it was his desire for it to be released at all. 

How does someone who never seemed to age die?
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2016, 06:49:23 PM »

I'm afraid we are going to find out.....

Yes, great to get the local color from the Captain.

A moment of sound for a great artist and entertainer....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2016, 02:34:07 PM »

Questlove: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/questlove-remembers-prince-in-this-life-youre-on-your-own-20160425?page=3
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2016, 08:49:41 PM »

I'm afraid we are going to find out.....

Yes, great to get the local color from the Captain.

A moment of sound for a great artist and entertainer....

Sounding/guessing he ODd. Very sad!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2016, 01:43:34 AM »

I was kinda in a "who needs to hear what I have to say" mood last week, but I really really loved Prince. he was one of those artists whose sheer undeniable appeal got me listening to types of music I would normally have. "Purple Rain" and "Around the World In A Day" are my two favourite albums by him. Late last year and early this year I was listening to tons of his stuff in an attempt to fill the gaps in my knowledge. I thus discovered strange gems like "The Belle of St Mark" with Sheila E. I had been going through a similar process with Bowie shortly before he died. I was also doing it with another classic living artist who I am now most afraid for. We are so lucky to have lived at the same time as these people. Still shocked and sad.

Please delete my account
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2016, 08:29:54 AM »

My review of Controversy:

https://tangledupinmusic.com/2016/12/21/prince-controversy-album-review/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx