gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:19:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Snub  (Read 16990 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2016, 07:36:13 AM »

It all comes from an angry guy with a huge ego. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2016, 07:42:39 AM »

Hang On To Your Ego must've been about Mike   LOL

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2016, 07:46:09 AM »

Hence the Mike Love lyrics freakout to BW! LOL        I know there's an answer (to changing the lyrics)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2016, 08:08:20 AM »

Hence the Mike Love lyrics freakout to BW! LOL        I know there's an answer (to changing the lyrics)
LOL

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2016, 08:17:25 AM »

Hang On To Your Ego must've been about Mike   LOL

No doubt about it in the back of my mind and the front for that matter.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2016, 05:56:29 PM »

Bruce Johnston was a member of The Beach Boys for Summer Days and Summer Nights, Pet Sounds, Smile/Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, Sunflower and Surf's Up. That is a Hall of Fame run. A constant touring presence 1979 onward; has he ever missed a show in that span? Not many.

"Disney Girls" is an all-time standard worthy of the great American songbook. Thanks to Bruce, it was introduced by The Beach Boys on one of their very best albums.

If Ron Wood and Timothy B Schmidt are worthy - and I agree they are - then so is Bruce Johnston. When one factors in his pre-Beach Boys career, his worthiness becomes even more obvious. But wait - Jann Wenner hates surf music.  Angry

Bruce might also be the least "hip" member of The Beach Boys.  I can't imagine Jann Wenner and his merry band of hipsters listening to Disney Girls, unless they did so ironicallly.  

I agree, Bruce isn't hip at all. But "Disney Girls" will endure for the best of reasons - it's a classic. Given recent events and trending current public perception, history's eventual judgement of Wenner is far less secure. My prediction is that Wenner will be remembered as the antithesis of rock & roll.

Wenner himself was inducted a few years ago as a nonperformer. He cited Buddy Knox's "Party Doll" as a key record in his discovery of rock & roll but wrongly identified the record as being by Buddy Holly. Complete schmuck.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:58:38 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »

I could be mistake but I could swear I remember reading somewhere (and some time ago) that although Bruce wasn't inducted at the time of the original ceremony (and post-fast diatribe) that his non-induction was brought up later to the hall's powers-that-be and he was added then. If this is true, I suppose that means he's listed with the others in the exhibit and was also given his own little statue thing from the hall.

I had heard this as well. And I remember some media from The Press Office, back when Bruce moved to Nashville, mentioning he was 'in'.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2016, 03:46:13 AM »

Bruce was at the induction ceremony and can be seen singing in footage of the jam session during I saw her standing there
KDS
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2016, 05:17:16 AM »

Bruce Johnston was a member of The Beach Boys for Summer Days and Summer Nights, Pet Sounds, Smile/Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, Sunflower and Surf's Up. That is a Hall of Fame run. A constant touring presence 1979 onward; has he ever missed a show in that span? Not many.

"Disney Girls" is an all-time standard worthy of the great American songbook. Thanks to Bruce, it was introduced by The Beach Boys on one of their very best albums.

If Ron Wood and Timothy B Schmidt are worthy - and I agree they are - then so is Bruce Johnston. When one factors in his pre-Beach Boys career, his worthiness becomes even more obvious. But wait - Jann Wenner hates surf music.  Angry

Bruce might also be the least "hip" member of The Beach Boys.  I can't imagine Jann Wenner and his merry band of hipsters listening to Disney Girls, unless they did so ironicallly.  

I agree, Bruce isn't hip at all. But "Disney Girls" will endure for the best of reasons - it's a classic. Given recent events and trending current public perception, history's eventual judgement of Wenner is far less secure. My prediction is that Wenner will be remembered as the antithesis of rock & roll.

Wenner himself was inducted a few years ago as a nonperformer. He cited Buddy Knox's "Party Doll" as a key record in his discovery of rock & roll but wrongly identified the record as being by Buddy Holly. Complete schmuck.

I hope you're right. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2016, 05:47:32 AM »

Wenner could listen to Wild Honey and the organ solo.

He reminds me of that old expression, "He who has the gold, rules."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx