gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:47:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Snub  (Read 17056 times)
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 05:18:23 PM »

Bruce should certainly be in there. Josh Klinghoffer from the Red Hot Chili Peppers was chosen, at the age of 31, and the guy had participated in one album (their lowest seller since their debut, for what that is worth). No disrespect to the guy, I would rather have more people put in than left out, but if he's in, plenty more should have made it in, including Bruce.
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2016, 07:04:29 PM »

Perhaps Carl didn't want him in, same as the Ten Years of Harmony center photo.  Carl did not recognize Bruce as a Beach Boy in the way that others were Beach Boys.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2016, 07:20:52 PM »

Perhaps Carl didn't want him in, same as the Ten Years of Harmony center photo.  Carl did not recognize Bruce as a Beach Boy in the way that others were Beach Boys.

Good point. Carl seemed to tolerate Bruce but that is all.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:43:53 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 07:36:18 PM »

Has anyone ever tried asking Bruce how he feels about this?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 08:44:32 PM »

Has anyone ever tried asking Bruce how he feels about this?

And risk being pistol whipped? Not me.  LOL
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:33:41 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2016, 03:05:17 PM »

Bruce missed some key foundational moments with the Sand Pail Sailors.  Mind you he was THERE from Summer Days and Pet Sounds [and Party...and SMiLE etc].  But he and Jack Riley didn't see eye to eye, as the story goes, so he missed THAT important early 70s era too.

That said...during phase one of the Beach Boys various and copious claims to fame Bruce did some neat stuff with Terry Melcher including big successes with the Rip Chords.  And while away from the group in that 70s time-frame he did compose/write a Grammy Award winner.  I'd have to say...all in all...he should be IN there as a Beach Boy.  But the hall is what it is...an entity clamoring to be recognized as being valid.  So far?  Not so much.  And that is entirely their own doing.

Or maybe it was THOSE shorts?

.....or producing that awful and overly long Here Comes the Night disco thing. 

Bruce was there at the beginning of the Rieley era, and contributed his signature BB song, Disney Girls, to Surf's Up.  But, I couldn't imagine a Bruce number fitting in on CATP or Holland.  Speaking of which, you can make an argument for Blondie and Ricky being in the HOF too. 
Bruce was still a Beach Boy after the release of Carl & the Passions. He sings on a couple tunes. He is very audible on Marcella. He actually toured on the first leg of the 1972 Spring tour. I saw them at the Philadelphia Spectrum. All seven of them: Carl, Dennis, Mike, Al, Bruce, Blondie & Ricky.
Me too. University of Missouri Field House on a April Saturday afternoon. Quite intimate that concert was. One of the best.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2016, 03:43:17 PM »

Perhaps Carl didn't want him in, same as the Ten Years of Harmony center photo.  Carl did not recognize Bruce as a Beach Boy in the way that others were Beach Boys.
I had never heard this before.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2016, 01:57:51 AM »

I had never heard this before.

I hadn't heard of this either.  But had been wondering before about how Bruce was viewed by other band members.  Wasn't there a plan to replace Bruce with Billy Hinsche in 1969?  Wasn't that Carl's doing?  Can't remember how the exact part went where I read this. 

Why would Bruce be simply ousted at that stage?  Was it thought that he only had a foot in the BBs camp and was probably going on to try a solo career, anyway?  Did Bruce know about a planned ousting or was it all a secret/conspiracy?

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2016, 05:42:54 AM »

I always wondered this myself. I'm thinking Billy Hinshe could spread some light on this, as well as the band's opinion of Bruce at that time.
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2016, 08:46:24 AM »

Carl specifically chose to not use a photo including Bruce on the Ten Years gatefold, when the studio offered to edit him in.  Carl said that Bruce could have a small "Mug shot" but Bruce declined.

For most of the early 70's Bruce was responsible for many tie/null votes when things had become M, B, A vs The Brothers Wilson. I believe that was a big part as to why Jack Riley gave him the boot.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2016, 09:37:57 AM »

Carl specifically chose to not use a photo including Bruce on the Ten Years gatefold, when the studio offered to edit him in.  Carl said that Bruce could have a small "Mug shot" but Bruce declined.

What's interesting about this story - and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with it, I've read it before - is that Carl wasn't even with the band at the time of the release of Ten Years Of Harmony and...Carl Wilson was choosing photos for Beach Boys' albums in 1981?
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2016, 10:41:46 AM »

Bruce was at the March 1972 Philadelphia show but was gone by the time of the April 15 1972 Missouri show
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »

What's interesting about this story - and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with it, I've read it before - is that Carl wasn't even with the band at the time of the release of Ten Years Of Harmony and...Carl Wilson was choosing photos for Beach Boys' albums in 1981?
I seem to remember reading in BBFUN that he assisted with the compilation in some way, but I don't recall if it was remastering/ remixing, track selection or what.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »

For most of the early 70's Bruce was responsible for many tie/null votes when things had become M, B, A vs The Brothers Wilson. I believe that was a big part as to why Jack Riley gave him the boot.

Did Bruce have a vote?
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »

Well Carl was with the band through 1980 and performed with them on their February 1981 tour so it depends when the cover was designed.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2016, 10:07:52 PM »

If I was Bruce, I might be disappointed I'm not listed in the hall. However, I've been in the Beach Boys for almost 50 years now, and my membership in this band wouldn't suddenly become more legitimate because Jann Wenner and his team of drooling subordinates think I belong in their sacred place of worship. My face is on the album covers, my name is in the liner notes, my songs are on the albums. If anything, it just goes to show how lame that placards-with-names-on-them institution actually is. What's less rock 'n' roll than a glitzy, shiny place with glass display cases? Well, Bruce Johnston, of course. But that's not the point.

Who cares what it says in Cleveland? That guy's on Pet Sounds.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:09:15 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2016, 11:26:39 PM »

Well Carl was with the band through 1980 and performed with them on their February 1981 tour so it depends when the cover was designed.
He was in contact with them later in 1981; just because he was on leave from the group doesn't mean he had no say in what they released. I guess I will have to dig out the newsletter and quote it verbatim.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2016, 12:02:46 AM »

I could be mistake but I could swear I remember reading somewhere (and some time ago) that although Bruce wasn't inducted at the time of the original ceremony (and post-fast diatribe) that his non-induction was brought up later to the hall's powers-that-be and he was added then. If this is true, I suppose that means he's listed with the others in the exhibit and was also given his own little statue thing from the hall.

As for the Cleveland Hall's inacuracies, I suggest those here who can access Facebook to check out https://www.facebook.com/raymanrockhall/

The lack of artist descriptions and recent updates stems from the same ongoing disasters in my life that have kept me from posting much here and putting the finishing touches on my version of Smile.  As soon as this foot is healed...  Undecided
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2016, 08:08:10 AM »

If I was Bruce, I might be disappointed I'm not listed in the hall. However, I've been in the Beach Boys for almost 50 years now, and my membership in this band wouldn't suddenly become more legitimate because Jann Wenner and his team of drooling subordinates think I belong in their sacred place of worship. My face is on the album covers, my name is in the liner notes, my songs are on the albums. If anything, it just goes to show how lame that placards-with-names-on-them institution actually is. What's less rock 'n' roll than a glitzy, shiny place with glass display cases? Well, Bruce Johnston, of course. But that's not the point.

You know, I actually bet Bruce cares a lot about it, and I'll tell you why...

This is the same guy that hasn't shut up for FORTY years about his Grammy for a Barry Manilow hit. I mean, seriously who gives a flying f*** about a Grammy? The Oscars on the other hand still have some cultural cache, but I feel like the Grammys are just kind of looked at as nothing of any real importance. Yet Juice Brohnston always manages to bring up two facts in seemingly every interview: "hey, I won a Grammy!" and "the reason for the great sound of The Beach Boys is the music of Brian Wilson, and don't you forget it those amazing summertime lyrics of Mike Love*."

*I like Bruce. I dig a lot of his early music. I own a copy each of Surfers' Pajama Party, The Best of Bruce & Terry, The Hot Doggers' Surfin' USA and the very rare Bruce Johnston compilation Tough Themes all on CD. However, the way he goes out of his way to always credit his boss Doctor Love as being equals with Brian Wilson. I don't deny Mike Love played a very big part in The Beach Boys success, probably second most to Brian. But regardless, Bruce's sh*t is sooooo heavy handed. And as for the Grammy, who gives a sh*t again?

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2016, 01:04:13 PM »

This is the same guy that hasn't shut up for FORTY years about his Grammy for a Barry Manilow hit. I mean, seriously who gives a flying f*** about a Grammy? The Oscars on the other hand still have some cultural cache, but I feel like the Grammys are just kind of looked at as nothing of any real importance. Yet Juice Brohnston always manages to bring up two facts in seemingly every interview: "hey, I won a Grammy!" and "the reason for the great sound of The Beach Boys is the music of Brian Wilson, and don't you forget it those amazing summertime lyrics of Mike Love*."

*I like Bruce. I dig a lot of his early music. I own a copy each of Surfers' Pajama Party, The Best of Bruce & Terry, The Hot Doggers' Surfin' USA and the very rare Bruce Johnston compilation Tough Themes all on CD. However, the way he goes out of his way to always credit his boss Doctor Love as being equals with Brian Wilson. I don't deny Mike Love played a very big part in The Beach Boys success, probably second most to Brian. But regardless, Bruce's sh*t is sooooo heavy handed. And as for the Grammy, who gives a sh*t again?

If I ever have the chance to meet Bruce, my first words to him will be "you won a Grammy! you won a Grammy!" (this is for the Carl fans here)  Grin
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2016, 01:18:05 PM »

I largely agree with your sentiments, sweetdudejim.

Does anyone have much of a timeline for when Bruce became Mike's biggest cheerleader? I have witnessed many, many interviews since the M&B era where Bruce *goes out of his way* to praise Mike's role in the band, conspicuously making numerous efforts to do so... but I wonder, did this type of public praise from Bruce ever happen during Carl's or Denny's lifetimes?

I'm not doubting that Bruce feels these things he says sincerely, but it would seem like this praise started in earnest post-1998, almost like a concerted effort/longterm campaign to make Mike's role seem bigger. Did Bruce suddenly realize that Mike was some sort of "underdog", or was this somewhat of a planned thing between the two guys? I ask because I would be surprised if post-1998, Bruce and Mike never had a conversation about the subject. I would think Mike must be appreciative, because it's not like any other of the Boys praise Mike to the extent that Bruce does.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:18:54 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2016, 04:18:22 PM »

I don't know how many tie votes Bruce was breaking in the JR era.  The Mike/Al vs. Wilson differences surfaced more mid-late 70s after Bruce left.  Those sides weren't exact earlier on. Example: Carl and Dennis fighting over sequencing on Surfs Up.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »

Bruce Johnston was a member of The Beach Boys for Summer Days and Summer Nights, Pet Sounds, Smile/Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, Sunflower and Surf's Up. That is a Hall of Fame run. A constant touring presence 1979 onward; has he ever missed a show in that span? Not many.

"Disney Girls" is an all-time standard worthy of the great American songbook. Thanks to Bruce, it was introduced by The Beach Boys on one of their very best albums.

If Ron Wood and Timothy B Schmidt are worthy - and I agree they are - then so is Bruce Johnston. When one factors in his pre-Beach Boys career, his worthiness becomes even more obvious. But wait - Jann Wenner hates surf music.  Angry
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:00:41 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
KDS
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2016, 05:12:36 AM »

Bruce Johnston was a member of The Beach Boys for Summer Days and Summer Nights, Pet Sounds, Smile/Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, Sunflower and Surf's Up. That is a Hall of Fame run. A constant touring presence 1979 onward; has he ever missed a show in that span? Not many.

"Disney Girls" is an all-time standard worthy of the great American songbook. Thanks to Bruce, it was introduced by The Beach Boys on one of their very best albums.

If Ron Wood and Timothy B Schmidt are worthy - and I agree they are - then so is Bruce Johnston. When one factors in his pre-Beach Boys career, his worthiness becomes even more obvious. But wait - Jann Wenner hates surf music.  Angry

Bruce might also be the least "hip" member of The Beach Boys.  I can't imagine Jann Wenner and his merry band of hipsters listening to Disney Girls, unless they did so ironicallly. 
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2016, 07:23:02 AM »

I largely agree with your sentiments, sweetdudejim.

Does anyone have much of a timeline for when Bruce became Mike's biggest cheerleader? I have witnessed many, many interviews since the M&B era where Bruce *goes out of his way* to praise Mike's role in the band, conspicuously making numerous efforts to do so... but I wonder, did this type of public praise from Bruce ever happen during Carl's or Denny's lifetimes?

I'm not doubting that Bruce feels these things he says sincerely, but it would seem like this praise started in earnest post-1998, almost like a concerted effort/longterm campaign to make Mike's role seem bigger. Did Bruce suddenly realize that Mike was some sort of "underdog", or was this somewhat of a planned thing between the two guys? I ask because I would be surprised if post-1998, Bruce and Mike never had a conversation about the subject. I would think Mike must be appreciative, because it's not like any other of the Boys praise Mike to the extent that Bruce does.

It's called job security. Myke luHvs to fire people at the drop of his hat and br00th is the king of all brown nosers.  Cheesy

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx