gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:05:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Snub  (Read 17069 times)
KDS
« on: April 21, 2016, 05:35:13 AM »

I know this has been discussed here, and on other boards, but Ultimate Classic Rock also thinks Bruce Johnston was snubbed by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-hall-snubs/#photogallery-1=1
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 06:21:40 AM »

Bruce missed some key foundational moments with the Sand Pail Sailors.  Mind you he was THERE from Summer Days and Pet Sounds [and Party...and SMiLE etc].  But he and Jack Riley didn't see eye to eye, as the story goes, so he missed THAT important early 70s era too.

That said...during phase one of the Beach Boys various and copious claims to fame Bruce did some neat stuff with Terry Melcher including big successes with the Rip Chords.  And while away from the group in that 70s time-frame he did compose/write a Grammy Award winner.  I'd have to say...all in all...he should be IN there as a Beach Boy.  But the hall is what it is...an entity clamoring to be recognized as being valid.  So far?  Not so much.  And that is entirely their own doing.

Or maybe it was THOSE shorts?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 06:26:31 AM »

Bruce missed some key foundational moments with the Sand Pail Sailors.  Mind you he was THERE from Summer Days and Pet Sounds [and Party...and SMiLE etc].  But he and Jack Riley didn't see eye to eye, as the story goes, so he missed THAT important early 70s era too.

That said...during phase one of the Beach Boys various and copious claims to fame Bruce did some neat stuff with Terry Melcher including big successes with the Rip Chords.  And while away from the group in that 70s time-frame he did compose/write a Grammy Award winner.  I'd have to say...all in all...he should be IN there as a Beach Boy.  But the hall is what it is...an entity clamoring to be recognized as being valid.  So far?  Not so much.  And that is entirely their own doing.

.....or producing that awful and overly long Here Comes the Night disco thing. 

Bruce was there at the beginning of the Rieley era, and contributed his signature BB song, Disney Girls, to Surf's Up.  But, I couldn't imagine a Bruce number fitting in on CATP or Holland.  Speaking of which, you can make an argument for Blondie and Ricky being in the HOF too. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 06:27:56 AM »

Bruce missed some key foundational moments with the Sand Pail Sailors.  Mind you he was THERE from Summer Days and Pet Sounds [and Party...and SMiLE etc].  But he and Jack Riley didn't see eye to eye, as the story goes, so he missed THAT important early 70s era too.

That said...during phase one of the Beach Boys various and copious claims to fame Bruce did some neat stuff with Terry Melcher including big successes with the Rip Chords.  And while away from the group in that 70s time-frame he did compose/write a Grammy Award winner.  I'd have to say...all in all...he should be IN there as a Beach Boy.  But the hall is what it is...an entity clamoring to be recognized as being valid.  So far?  Not so much.  And that is entirely their own doing.

Add Some - the shorts thing is a joke. They all wore shorts that were like tennis shorts, even in the NBA! Check out the teams from those days.  It was the style in that era.  

But, I think that the HoF is just rock and roll politics and the only game in town.  There are a lot of people who belong in there but it is political and biased.  Johnston's involvement goes back way before I became interested as a 2nd generation fan in the mid 60's, so I will defer to someone who knows the late 50's-early 60's.  They lived it and they know way more than I.   Wink
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 06:40:57 AM »

Bruce was there at the beginning of the Rieley era, and contributed his signature BB song, Disney Girls, to Surf's Up.  But, I couldn't imagine a Bruce number fitting in on CATP or Holland.  Speaking of which, you can make an argument for Blondie and Ricky being in the HOF too. 
Bruce was still a Beach Boy after the release of Carl & the Passions. He sings on a couple tunes. He is very audible on Marcella. He actually toured on the first leg of the 1972 Spring tour. I saw them at the Philadelphia Spectrum. All seven of them: Carl, Dennis, Mike, Al, Bruce, Blondie & Ricky.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 06:44:40 AM »

Bruce was still a Beach Boy after the release of Carl & the Passions. He sings on a couple tunes. He is very audible on Marcella. He actually toured on the first leg of the 1972 Spring tour. I saw them at the Philadelphia Spectrum. All seven of them: Carl, Dennis, Mike, Al, Bruce, Blondie & Ricky.
drbeachboy - And did you see Toni Tenille (and the Captain?)   Wink
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 06:50:41 AM »

Bruce missed some key foundational moments with the Sand Pail Sailors.  Mind you he was THERE from Summer Days and Pet Sounds [and Party...and SMiLE etc].  But he and Jack Riley didn't see eye to eye, as the story goes, so he missed THAT important early 70s era too.

That said...during phase one of the Beach Boys various and copious claims to fame Bruce did some neat stuff with Terry Melcher including big successes with the Rip Chords.  And while away from the group in that 70s time-frame he did compose/write a Grammy Award winner.  I'd have to say...all in all...he should be IN there as a Beach Boy.  But the hall is what it is...an entity clamoring to be recognized as being valid.  So far?  Not so much.  And that is entirely their own doing.

Bruce was there at the beginning of the Rieley era, and contributed his signature BB song, Disney Girls, to Surf's Up.  But, I couldn't imagine a Bruce number fitting in on CATP or Holland.  Speaking of which, you can make an argument for Blondie and Ricky being in the HOF too.  
drbeachboy - And did you see Toni Tenille (and the Captain?)   Wink
To be honest, I don't remember. Back then I didn't even know who Toni & Darryl were to even take notice of the supporting musicians.

EDIT: OSD might remember. I think he said he attended that show too. I know we both attended the Summer 1969 show on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City (my first show seeing them).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:55:00 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 06:57:39 AM »

Bruce was there at the beginning of the Rieley era, and contributed his signature BB song, Disney Girls, to Surf's Up.  But, I couldn't imagine a Bruce number fitting in on CATP or Holland.  Speaking of which, you can make an argument for Blondie and Ricky being in the HOF too.  
drbeachboy - And did you see Toni Tenille (and the Captain?)   Wink
To be honest, I don't remember. Back then I didn't even know who Toni & Darryl were to even take notice of the supporting musicians.

EDIT: OSD might remember. I think he said he attended that show too. I know we both attended the Summer 1969 show on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City (my first show seeing them).
drbeachboy - I bet OSD would remember seeing a girl on the stage!  LOL

I saw them at a college during the spring of 1972.  Daryl had been around since late 1967.
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 07:04:00 AM »

The R&R HOF is joke.

How does Timothy B Schmit get in as an Eagle while Bruce does not.

BTW,  TBS would have been a great addition to the touring band following the Eagles break up.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 07:07:18 AM »

I don't remember them being at Steel Pier, but they were at the Spectrum. I took pictures of The Captain and Dennis at the piano she played during the show. Dennis was nice enough to strike a pose for us which allowed The Captain to be in the picture as well. By the way, Toni was a very attractive woman.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 07:09:19 AM »

The fact that Bruce isn't part of the HOF induction isn't likely any personal snub, it's just emblematic of the corrupt, weird, arbitrary, political nature of the R&F HOF. That the "institution" is so far beyond a joke yet artists still mostly show up (both to induct and to be inducted) continues to befuddle me.

I used the example before of the new bass player in Metallica (Trujillo) that had joined the band only a few years before their induction yet was included in the induction (despite at that point having done very little if anything with the band in the studio) to point out the fact that of course Bruce should have been included, as should David Marks for his key role early on. Certainly back in 1988, prior to resurfacing and Jon Stebbins helping bring him to the fore, Marks was an even longer shot than Bruce was.

A few people have made pointed speeches at ceremonies, but often even those aren't really targeted pointedly at the corrupt nature of the organization, but instead are often just weird anomalies (Mike's infamous speech), or sour grapes about the band in question (e.g. Jeff Beck and the Yardbirds). I believe Steve Miller recently actually railed against the HOF at his induction ceremony, a rare case indeed.

I would guess, given the more respected nature of the BBs output now by the "rock press" compared to 1988, including Bruce's prominent role in the PS and Smile vocal sessions, if the BBs were inducted now, Bruce would probably stand a good chance of being included, and perhaps Dave as well.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:38:00 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 07:27:50 AM »

I don't remember them being at Steel Pier, but they were at the Spectrum. I took pictures of The Captain and Dennis at the piano she played during the show. Dennis was nice enough to strike a pose for us which allowed The Captain to be in the picture as well. By the way, Toni was a very attractive woman.
OSD - I knew you would not miss Toni!  LOL
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 07:48:34 AM »

filled...I was joking 'bout dem shorts too. 
kds...Carl was also responsible for HCTN being discofied/discofried and HE'S 'in'.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
KDS
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 07:56:48 AM »

filled...I was joking 'bout dem shorts too. 
kds...Carl was also responsible for HCTN being discofied/discofried and HE'S 'in'.

I was joking about the HCTN.

Besides, disco acts have gotten into the Hall before much more deserving acts such as The Moody Blues, Yes, The Cars, Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult...you know, rock bands. 

I've no doubt that the stooges who voted The Boys in way back when probably just thought that Bruce was "Brian's fill in guy."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 08:05:38 AM »

Sorry, I thought it was you who I was posting with a year or two ago. I had mentioned that as we were heading up Rt. 9 from Wildwood and that there was a billboard sign that advertised "Carl Wilson and The Beach Boys". The show was in a small setting with no chairs. Everyone in attendance had to stand for the entire show. Quite good too. They had just released Break Away a week or so before.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 08:20:37 PM »

Doug Yule got snubbed from the Velvet Underground induction.  Stupid.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 09:31:55 PM »

Sorry, I thought it was you who I was posting with a year or two ago. I had mentioned that as we were heading up Rt. 9 from Wildwood and that there was a billboard sign that advertised "Carl Wilson and The Beach Boys". The show was in a small setting with no chairs. Everyone in attendance had to stand for the entire show. Quite good too. They had just released Break Away a week or so before.

I was at both Steel Pier Shows (68 & 60). I remember the CATP sign. To Be clear, I was talking about the Capt. and Tenille at the Spectrum show in 72.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 09:54:43 PM »

The day the Carpenters are inducted is the day I'll agree that Bruce should be too... but... the man is as much a rocker as Mitch McConnell.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 09:59:21 PM »

The day the Carpenters are inducted is the day I'll agree that Bruce should be too... but... the man is as much a rocker as Mitch McConnell.
I'd vote for Carpenters if I got a chance. It's not really a "rock and roll" HOF, it's a pop music hall. They have inducted rappers, sensitive singer/songwriters, r 'n' b acts, all kinds of stuff that isn't, strictly speaking, "rock and roll".  So sure, induct Karen and Richard. And Bruce.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »

How do they get Bruce in? Can he be added onto the Beach Boys inductee list?
Take 'Teen Beat, Ripchords, B&T, Saggitarius, His participation on The Wall, to name but a few. Stir it in with his longtime membership in the Beach Boys and nobody should argue against him being in there.
KDS
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 11:11:13 AM »

Take 'Teen Beat, Ripchords, B&T, Saggitarius, His participation on The Wall, to name but a few. Stir it in with his longtime membership in the Beach Boys and nobody should argue against him being in there.

I don't know of any instance where the RNRHOF included a member of a band that was inducted, long after said band's induction. 

The snub of guys like Bruce Johnston, Ronnie James Dio, and others from this list goes to further prove that the RNRHOF is a joke.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »

First off, I am somewhat jealous of OSD and drbeachboy having seen that lineup (incl. both Bruce and Blondie and Ricky). Very cool.

Second, I think Bruce deserves to be in as part of the band because he was a part of so much of their great output.

But third, I think it's mostly irrelevant. The complaint commonly made about the RnR HoF is along the lines of:
There are a lot of people who belong in there but it is political and biased.  

But I don't see how it could be anything but biased (or subjective). Unless it is based on something like album sales or chart position--at which point people would complain that it panders to the lowest common denominator and leaves out the critically acclaimed types like VU, Zappa, etc.--there's just not way to be objective. And the borders of rock and roll are blurry even if we have an objective measurement like sales. So once it's inherently subjective, it's going to be inherently political or biased.

I think the best way to approach the RnR HoF and things like it is to ignore it entirely.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 12:19:25 PM »

First off, I am somewhat jealous of OSD and drbeachboy having seen that lineup (incl. both Bruce and Blondie and Ricky). Very cool.

Second, I think Bruce deserves to be in as part of the band because he was a part of so much of their great output.

But third, I think it's mostly irrelevant. The complaint commonly made about the RnR HoF is along the lines of:
There are a lot of people who belong in there but it is political and biased.  

But I don't see how it could be anything but biased (or subjective). Unless it is based on something like album sales or chart position--at which point people would complain that it panders to the lowest common denominator and leaves out the critically acclaimed types like VU, Zappa, etc.--there's just not way to be objective. And the borders of rock and roll are blurry even if we have an objective measurement like sales. So once it's inherently subjective, it's going to be inherently political or biased.

I think the best way to approach the RnR HoF and things like it is to ignore it entirely.

Captain,

I think you nailed one of the more frustrating things about the RNRHOF.  It's the Wild West, there are no rules.

Album sales?  Where is Def Leppard, Journey, Boston, etc. 

Influence?  Yes is still absent.  Judas Priest.  etc.

Hell, you don't even need to a part of Rock and Roll to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 12:45:34 PM »

I don't know of any instance where the RNRHOF included a member of a band that was inducted, long after said band's induction. 

The snub of guys like Bruce Johnston, Ronnie James Dio, and others from this list goes to further prove that the RNRHOF is a joke.
Never thought I would see those 2 names lumped together.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »

Timothy B Schmidt joined The Eagles for the recording of THE LONG RUN. Their original run was damn near over. He has participated in all subsequent Eagle activities.

Ron Wood joined The Rolling Stones around the time of BLACK & BLUE in 1976. He has been in the band ever since.

Bruce Johnston was in The Beach Boys from "California Girls" thru CARL AND THE PASSIONS, then from L.A. onward to the present day.

Schmidt and Wood are in the R&R HoF but Johnston is not. Why? Ask Jann Wenner.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:35:00 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx