-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:12:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Forever is about murder
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Forever is about murder  (Read 19127 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2016, 06:57:24 AM »

And I wonder what's so remotely cool or funny about that phrase. Once in a while smb. brings it up and I don't for the life of me get it. If you ask me, it reads like speech coming from dumb high school kid. Not to mention there's no word mourdorous. Can you explain it? Oh, and the rest of the post is booooorrrring.

Mourdorous sounds to me like murderous spoken in an Irish accent. That's probably why it's funny. *forced laugh*

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2016, 07:05:27 AM »

Huh? If that's the reason why they think it's funny then literally ANYthing is funny. OK, what about "fum"...sorry, "FUM"?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2016, 08:54:14 AM »

It's rather hilarious to me; analyzing humor is hard to do, but I think it's to do with people having a Manson-related conversation and someone shows up and writes a post that is so much like what a stereotypical crazed fictional psycho-killer would write. The Captain's response was perfect.
I think that post and Bubbly Waves OP here are a couple of my favorite posts on this whole board.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2016, 09:55:15 AM »

Huh? If that's the reason why they think it's funny then literally ANYthing is funny. OK, what about "fum"...sorry, "FUM"?

FUM is in all likelihood a primitive version of thump.

To each their own, Emily. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2016, 11:41:33 AM »

Thank you, john. So, the phrase translates "Thump him the murderous bas****" - yeah well, that would leave anyone in fits of laughter.
To each their own indeed.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2016, 11:48:40 AM »

Wait, what's happening? Someone brought back the "fum him" stuff? Ha! My post? What did I post? Now I have to go back and look. Un momento.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2016, 11:50:02 AM »

I think "Fum" is for fu*k
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2016, 11:53:19 AM »

That's even worse. In my old-fashioned view, joke isn't joke if it's filled with expletives.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:02:30 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2016, 11:59:40 AM »

Yes, I assume fum is meant to be f***. And mourdorous is just plain bad spelling.

(Also, my response was "um..." Hardly comedic genius on that one. I was hoping I'd said something good.)

RRA1, while humor is definitely hard to explain--especially across languages and cultures--I think the reason many of us found that "fum him the mourdorous bastard" line (and post) so funny is that it was just so, so stupid. It's not inherently funny: there's no joke there. The poster wasn't being funny. It's that he rambled with that poorly written nonsense while thinking he was making some kind of worthwhile point. There is something funny about people aiming high with their intentions, confident with their posts, and instead leaving behind incoherent and ignorant drivel. That's funny.

In fact, one could argue it's almost the essence or purpose of comedy: taking down the mighty. That's what most comedy is, whether it's bringing some world leader "down to size," pointing out flaws we all share to keep our egos in check, or something similar. (It's not particularly funny when a 5-year-old writes badly: a 5-year-old is supposed to write badly and is a sympathetic figure. It's funny when an adult trying to make a grand statement writes badly.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2016, 12:13:38 PM »

Thank you, that was good explanation. I didn't see that post from that angle. Makes sense now (though cussing is a big no for me).

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2016, 12:17:21 PM »

Yes, I assume fum is meant to be f***. And mourdorous is just plain bad spelling.

(Also, my response was "um..." Hardly comedic genius on that one. I was hoping I'd said something good.)

RRA1, while humor is definitely hard to explain--especially across languages and cultures--I think the reason many of us found that "fum him the mourdorous bastard" line (and post) so funny is that it was just so, so stupid. It's not inherently funny: there's no joke there. The poster wasn't being funny. It's that he rambled with that poorly written nonsense while thinking he was making some kind of worthwhile point. There is something funny about people aiming high with their intentions, confident with their posts, and instead leaving behind incoherent and ignorant drivel. That's funny.

In fact, one could argue it's almost the essence or purpose of comedy: taking down the mighty. That's what most comedy is, whether it's bringing some world leader "down to size," pointing out flaws we all share to keep our egos in check, or something similar. (It's not particularly funny when a 5-year-old writes badly: a 5-year-old is supposed to write badly and is a sympathetic figure. It's funny when an adult trying to make a grand statement writes badly.)
I thought the fact that the post seemed Manson-like itself made for a funny irony.
The "um" was the perfect punctuation.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2016, 12:34:20 PM »

Thank you, that was good explanation. I didn't see that post from that angle. Makes sense now (though cussing is a big no for me).

I'd really appreciate it if you stayed on topic.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2016, 12:39:03 PM »

Smb. brought it earlier and I wanted to know what it means. I shan't post anything off-topic further.

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2016, 08:35:47 AM »

I dunno, the last several posts have been far more interesting than the original topic.  I actually learned something....

sort of
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2016, 09:10:32 AM »

Oh, how wonderful for you: you almost learned something.
By all means, please feel free to read those posts again in an effort to complete your learning.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2016, 09:42:01 AM »

By all means, please feel free to read those posts again in an effort to complete your learning.

Why do you get to have two stars?
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2016, 10:25:34 AM »

Why do you get to have two stars?

For making this thread of course!  Grin

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2016, 07:18:04 PM »

Thank you
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: