gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:33:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When I Grow Up / She Knows Me Too Well stereo mix question  (Read 1486 times)
Beagle Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2016, 05:08:31 PM »

This is admittedly a very minor thing, but this sort of inconsistency bugs me, so...

The stereo mixes of When I Grow Up to Be a Man and She Knows Me Too Well first appeared in the 2008 singles box set, correct? But every time they have appeared since (50 Big Ones, Made in CA, 2012 remasters) it says they are 2012 mixes. But they all sound the same as the 2008 mixes to me. Were these mixes actually redone in 2012, or are they the 2008 mixes mis-dated?

Thanks for indulging my OCD...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »

I cannot say for sure, but WIGU is different. It has just a wee bit less reverb. I use to think it was on the original tape, but now I believe it was added by Mark Linett. If you listen to the A Capella mix on Keep An Eye On Summer, Mike's lead vocal, while having a bit of echo on it, sounds quite clear otherwise. I wish he would have left it alone. It spoils a terrific song, imho. Thankfully, the AP SACD tries to fix it. It's still there, but it is more listenable.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:26:14 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 06:59:56 PM »

Haven't heard it a few years, but I believe the '08 mix of She Knows Me has a single tracked lead vocal, while the '12 mix has some sort of ADT effect applied....right?
Beagle Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 05:28:17 PM »

Haven't heard it a few years, but I believe the '08 mix of She Knows Me has a single tracked lead vocal, while the '12 mix has some sort of ADT effect applied....right?

Aha, that's it! I can't believe I didn't notice that. I was worried more about instrument placement in the stereo field. Obviously these differences can be a lot more subtle.

Here's another one I can't figure out... all of the stereo appearances of "Dance, Dance, Dance" are labelled as being from 2003, when the Sounds of Summer compilation was released. But in fact the Sounds of Summer version sounds like a completely different mix than the one that has appeared since (on the singles box, 50 Big Ones, Made in CA, 2012 reissues, and last year's stereo reissue). So was it actually remixed sometime after 2003 and that's the version that has been appearing? The singles box is the oldest release I know of with this "not really 2003" mix.

Thanks for all the help with my inane queries!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 05:42:44 PM »

Aha, that's it! I can't believe I didn't notice that. I was worried more about instrument placement in the stereo field. Obviously these differences can be a lot more subtle.

Here's another one I can't figure out... all of the stereo appearances of "Dance, Dance, Dance" are labelled as being from 2003, when the Sounds of Summer compilation was released. But in fact the Sounds of Summer version sounds like a completely different mix than the one that has appeared since (on the singles box, 50 Big Ones, Made in CA, 2012 reissues, and last year's stereo reissue). So was it actually remixed sometime after 2003 and that's the version that has been appearing? The singles box is the oldest release I know of with this "not really 2003" mix.

I think it might also have less reverb.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »

The original stereo remix was on the 2001 Hawthorne compilation.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 08:14:43 PM »

The original stereo remix was on the 2001 Hawthorne compilation.
Haven't most of the different mixes just been moving the percussion around?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.