gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:13:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: With whom should Al record an album?  (Read 6392 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2016, 03:52:29 PM »

With whom should Al form a band and record an album?  We want Al on lead so at least one of the artists you choose should compliment his voice when signing harmony/duets, etc.  It could be a supergroup of indie artists, or whatever they are called today, or just one other guy.  I am suggesting indie artists because I would like to avoid uninspired choices such as Billy Joel or Chicago or Don Henley.  I would also prefer to avoid Animal Collective and such like as I don't think that would suit Al's voice, and certainly not my vision for it.  Smiley

I think he would fit best with a singer-songwriter type or an indie band.

Ideas?

EoL

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 04:02:06 PM »

Al's main shortcomings (no pun intended...) are a) songwriting and b) pace. He can write songs, but apparently not a whole lot of them. And he just takes forever to do anything.

My main choice--and apologies because this fits solidly in the "uninspired" category you mentioned--is Brian Wilson. Periodic bouts of writers' block aside, Wilson is still writing (or at least digging up) material--and we know he has a ton of yet-unreleased music that could be properly done. They work well together, they sound great together, and it isn't an awkward marriage of the old guy trying to work with the up-and-comer.

Others? Maybe Richard Barone, with whom he sang "If I Had A Hammer" not so long ago (and sounded great)? Maybe Okkervill River, whose bandleader Will Sheff is capable of some good songs; they also worked with Roky Erickson, so they've got some further-out experience with an oldster than Al! Maybe Robert Harrison of Cotton Mather/Future Clouds and Radar, though he's been awfully quiet in the past couple years. But his melodies are right up there with anyone's. What about a band like Dawes?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 04:17:47 PM »

By the way, I would have said Kacey Musgraves but I mention her too much as it is. I don't want to seem creepy. But I just gave myself up by admitting it. Damnit. Foiled again.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 04:18:32 PM »

I thought you were talented enough to record with her! Afro

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 04:24:37 PM »

Al just needs a producer to crack the whip and say "Okay, that one's finished. Next song?"

Let someone go through his vault, grab the stuff that sounds good and finish that stuff out, flesh it out with some new stuff if needed (bringing in some outside writers would be okay with me), and there you go.

An outside producer handling things more on the "A&R" side of things is what might help.

Or, just let someone go through the vaults and release the stuff as-is: Demos, works-in-progress, etc.

Dispense with more cover versions (or save those for an all-covers album). While not as exciting as *new* material, an album of Al solo with acoustic guitar and/or other light accompaniment would be nice.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:25:40 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 07:49:56 PM »

Well, if it's acoustic guitars and sparse backing we want, I can't imagine anyone better than Willie Nelson. I don't know if their styles would blend, but it would be worth finding out.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 10:10:05 PM »

I'd love to see a Brian Wilson/Al Jardine album!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 12:17:30 AM »

He has said he wants to do a weavers/Kingston Trio type album.

Maybe he should get the Pogues!  Evil
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 05:39:46 AM »

I would love to see him work with singer/songwriter/producer Jason Lytle. He showed he works well as a back up singer in M Ward's song 'To Save Me'

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
KDS
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 05:40:02 AM »

I'd love to see a Brian Wilson/Al Jardine album!

I'd love this too.  NPP gave us a sampling of what this could sound like.  A lot of my favorite songs on the record had Al on them.  
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 05:44:31 AM »

Well, if it's acoustic guitars and sparse backing we want, I can't imagine anyone better than Willie Nelson. I don't know if their styles would blend, but it would be worth finding out.

Could be an interesting pairing.  Anyone able to connect the two of them?  Smiley

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 05:54:01 AM »

An Al album which would feature Brian, Mike, Bruce, David and Blondie would be ace!  Cool
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 06:13:52 AM »

Swedish Frog.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 06:54:10 AM »

Swedish Frog.

Cheesy Cheesy

Agreed!

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 06:58:54 AM »

Thanks, STE. Seems I am growing in popularity. Smiley

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 08:29:12 AM »

Wilco. Dr. Dog.

Cuz I like them
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 04:31:42 PM »

Hamel on Trial. Because I like him.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 04:41:30 PM »

Al will sing boatsail!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 05:16:07 PM »

The more I think about the folk / roots side of Al's music, the more I think there are a lot of modern bands that match that side. I don't necessarily mean true, authentic roots music (as if the Kingston Trio were some kind of authentic folk! They were dismissed even at the time by "true" folkies ... not that I am fond of that kind of elitist nonsense.). I mentioned Dawes earlier, who certainly have some kind of Americana SoCal vibe. But also Fleet Foxes (whom some here like a lot, though I'm not that big a fan), Mumford & Sons. I would have LOVED for him to be involved in The Basement Tapes project of Dylan lyrics a year or two ago, they really could have used his voice.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 11:02:13 PM »

The more I think about the folk / roots side of Al's music, the more I think there are a lot of modern bands that match that side. I don't necessarily mean true, authentic roots music (as if the Kingston Trio were some kind of authentic folk! They were dismissed even at the time by "true" folkies ... not that I am fond of that kind of elitist nonsense.). I mentioned Dawes earlier, who certainly have some kind of Americana SoCal vibe. But also Fleet Foxes (whom some here like a lot, though I'm not that big a fan), Mumford & Sons. I would have LOVED for him to be involved in The Basement Tapes project of Dylan lyrics a year or two ago, they really could have used his voice.
I'll say it again - Hamell on Trial aka Ed Hamell. One guy with an acoustic guitar. He's gotta be folk, right? Maybe he and Al could sing a few choruses of "Kumbaya" together.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 03:41:38 AM »

Suggested album title: Al Jardine and Swedish Frog Sing Haiku Palindromes for Young and Old

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 09:23:39 AM »

But also Fleet Foxes (whom some here like a lot, though I'm not that big a fan, Mumford & Sons.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-al-jardine-on-fleet-foxes-theyre-awesome-20090701

This just reminded me of this article from years ago. It's too bad they never ended up collaborating, they could've sounded great together. Maybe it could happen when Robin Pecknold finally comes back to civilization.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 11:43:33 AM »

Probably an uninspired choice, but I'd like to see a Al/Matt Jardine collab.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 01:25:44 PM »

With whom should Al record an album? NOBODY. That is...I want it to be a *true* solo album. No special guests.

And not only that, here's what I really would like to see him do for an album:

- First off, NO REMAKES. On A Postcard from California he used past Beach Boys stuff as a crutch. Was yet another version of "Help Me, Rhonda" necessary? Did he need to remake "California"?? Really, was another "Honkin' Down The Highway" necessary??

- No special guests. Again, too much of a crutch. Al shouldn't need to rely on Brian, Neil Young, Alec Baldwin, and whomever I'm missing. Let him stand out on his own.

- And finally, and most importantly: I'd love him to just completely geek out on folky stuff. I really want to hear him address his musical roots. The stuff he always loved. We haven't really had a chance to hear much of that.

- And a challenge I openly offer Mr. Jardine: do an album's worth of songs....without narration. All these narration tunes he did..."Santa Ana Wind"..."I Saw Santa Rockin' 'Round The Christmas Tree"..."The Beaks of Eagles"..."Lady Liberty"..."California Energy Blues"..."Tidepool Interlude"..."California Recall Blues"....heck, even "'Cassius' Love vs. 'Sonny' Wilson" has a Jardine voiceover!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 08:07:50 PM »

Wilco. Dr. Dog.

Cuz I like them

I second the Wilco idea.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx