-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:15:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Lifetime ban on AGD
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lifetime ban on AGD  (Read 273953 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: April 29, 2016, 01:45:50 PM »

Some of these bans are news to me.  Add 'em to Alan's signature list, or start your own I guess...  Me and john k were discussing what's what when someone just disappears around here in the oops thread.  So, getting some answers.  They ain't all just dying.

These cats may have been controversial, but they were also often very funny.

The Bag man could be funny in some BB threads. In the Sandbox, for religion and politics, he was pretty hateful. Jaw droppingly so at times!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:55:26 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 29, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »

Wait a sec... Runnerz is banned? Sheesh. What is going on here?

That was last year, where ya been? The Mods don't make a ban into a public execution. Seems like that's what some want in this case.

I think Bean Bag is gone. Rocky seems to be missing (no surprise there).

Rocky probably split because his book thread was locked. He didn't get 3 strikes, so he wasn't banned. At least, I don't remember him even getting 1 strike.
Unless it wasn't even Rocky. I know that it was suspected that it was really him. Was it ever 100 percent proven?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: April 29, 2016, 01:58:48 PM »

It was, and he had been suspended for 2 weeks, but never returned cause his thread was locked.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 29, 2016, 05:07:34 PM »

My two cents for what it's worth.

The AGD thread is a good idea to keep discussion away from the main threads.

I received a PM from Andrew.  No gossip and no bullying.  We'll miss his input here but he's still on Beach Boys Britain if we need him!

GuitarFool getting upset at Alan Smith calling out Chuck - Chuck said he was against Mikey joining the board.  The impression I got was he was always against it.  The post Alan linked to suggested otherwise.  Hence the reason Alan posted it.

Moderators should not be confrontational but instead look to defuse situations.  Billy is good at this, others not so much.  The board has seriously gone downhill the last few years.  I will miss Lee Dempsey, but at least he said goodbye!  Hopefully others won't follow him out the door.

Too many people see agendas when there aren't any.  Most of us are here because we want to talk about the music.  We don't hate any of the Beach Boys.  Hate is such a strong emotion, especially when everyone has their faults.

Hopefully everything will get back on track, although we are a little depleted with the amount of knowledgeable posters who have been driven away.

As a wise and forgiving man once said, "Love and Mercy"!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 29, 2016, 05:12:22 PM »

I told AGD his Bellagio site was still linked on the forum, he said something like "no one ever there ever uses it, they just go to last fm" so I guess he doesn't care that it's still linked here, even though he is banned from the forum. And no, he hasn't fed me any gossip about Melinda, and I haven't asked.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 29, 2016, 05:41:47 PM »

So how many reporting members are known to have received this alleged potentially libelous second hand info directly from AGD and how many received/shared it 3rd, 4th hand?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: April 29, 2016, 06:13:26 PM »

Chuck said he was against Mikey joining the board.  The impression I got was he was always against it.  The post Alan linked to suggested otherwise.  Hence the reason Alan posted it.

The board has seriously gone downhill the last few years.

Mikeddonn, I respect your opinion but disagree with it.  I've heard about this message board going "downhill" ever since it started.   Someday it will be true, but not yet, and not today.  And yes, in 2005, it appears I wasn't opposed to Mikie joining the board.  By 2010, when he joined after being banned elsewhere, I had decidedly changed my mind.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 29, 2016, 11:03:25 PM »

... every word of every mod discussion is archived and available. ...

Glad to hear that the mod discussions of bans are archived and available, as I'm still quite confused about the specifics of what led to AGD's ban.

Where do I find the archived mod discussion info?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 29, 2016, 11:55:58 PM »

My two cents for what it's worth.

The AGD thread is a good idea to keep discussion away from the main threads.

I received a PM from Andrew.  No gossip and no bullying.  We'll miss his input here but he's still on Beach Boys Britain if we need him!

GuitarFool getting upset at Alan Smith calling out Chuck - Chuck said he was against Mikey joining the board.  The impression I got was he was always against it.  The post Alan linked to suggested otherwise.  Hence the reason Alan posted it.

Moderators should not be confrontational but instead look to defuse situations.  Billy is good at this, others not so much.  The board has seriously gone downhill the last few years.  I will miss Lee Dempsey, but at least he said goodbye!  Hopefully others won't follow him out the door.

Too many people see agendas when there aren't any.  Most of us are here because we want to talk about the music.  We don't hate any of the Beach Boys.  Hate is such a strong emotion, especially when everyone has their faults.

Hopefully everything will get back on track, although we are a little depleted with the amount of knowledgeable posters who have been driven away.

As a wise and forgiving man once said, "Love and Mercy"!

This is all good stuff.

Mike's point about moderation is a good one. If a mod appears outwardly confrontational, or overly defensive, then my own reaction - rightly or wrongly - is to be suspicious; I suspect others have the same instinct.

That said I was never too proud about the way I joined in the piling-on on to Craig and sincerely apologise for that, if it's not too late. I lacked self control - and not for the first time - and though I don't think it was handled well on either side, I recognise that I didnt behave too well.

I'm very grateful for the fact that this thread has been reopened and that the topics being discussed herein therefore aren't infecting the rest of the board.

I'll reserve the right to miss Mikie, AGD, Runnerz and others. I enjoyed and valued their posts, each for different reasons, and I'll continue to enjoy conversing with some of them via other means. They're banned - they weren't executed after all! LOL - but I value their knowledge, friendship and humour (and am blissfully ignorant of why they were banned; they've never offended me).

... every word of every mod discussion is archived and available. ...

Glad to hear that the mod discussions of bans are archived and available, as I'm still quite confused about the specifics of what led to AGD's ban.

Where do I find the archived mod discussion info?

I'd normally question the wisdom of this archive having been made available but in the light of recent events am intrigued by its contents; it could lay a lot of ghosts (lowercase) to rest and further diffuse this unfortunate situation, a direction towards which this cathartic thread is, it seems to me, a good start along the road.

Love and Mercy indeed!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:03:04 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 30, 2016, 02:48:42 AM »

Chuck said he was against Mikey joining the board.  The impression I got was he was always against it.  The post Alan linked to suggested otherwise.  Hence the reason Alan posted it.

The board has seriously gone downhill the last few years.

Mikeddonn, I respect your opinion but disagree with it.  I've heard about this message board going "downhill" ever since it started.   Someday it will be true, but not yet, and not today.  And yes, in 2005, it appears I wasn't opposed to Mikie joining the board.  By 2010, when he joined after being banned elsewhere, I had decidedly changed my mind.

Thank you for the reply Charles.

I guess I just feel after C50 there was a lot of fallout that has lingered for a while.  I still spend way too long on this board though!  And thanks for creating it!  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:49:54 AM by mikeddonn » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 30, 2016, 06:03:14 AM »

I told AGD his Bellagio site was still linked on the forum, he said something like "no one ever there ever uses it, they just go to last fm" so I guess he doesn't care that it's still linked here, even though he is banned from the forum. And no, he hasn't fed me any gossip about Melinda, and I haven't asked.

That is ridiculous to think that people would go to last fm over Bellagio. 

Some of the last fm stuff has been continuously "appropriated" from BBB.  (Setlists) You cannot compare the sites or the level of scholarship.   
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 30, 2016, 06:21:46 AM »

That is ridiculous to think that people would go to last fm over Bellagio. 

A troubling remark, to be sure. I go to Bellagio almost every day. I wouldn't dream of using Last frickin' fm!

Malc's and Eric A's sites are my other two principal on-line sources for BB info. Long may all three continue!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 30, 2016, 07:09:01 AM »

Another veiled insult from AGD about the fans here. This guy's ego cannot accept he is common fan like the rest of us.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 30, 2016, 07:24:57 AM »

Another veiled insult from AGD about the fans here. This guy's ego cannot accept he is common fan like the rest of us.
Smile Brian - that is an utter falsehood.  The problem is that he is a published author on BB matters.  Are you?  (I don't know.)  Am I? (No.)

That is the difference. He has made research contributions. It is important to separate a personal dislike from a position where you might not choose a person for your friend but appreciate the research contribution that is pretty much universally recognized. 

Andrew is not a "common fan." He is a published researcher.   Wink
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 30, 2016, 07:30:26 AM »

Yeah one published book he co-wrote gives him the right to abuse the PM system here and call everybody "fuckwits,shitwheasels, and trolls".... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: April 30, 2016, 07:32:55 AM »

Yeah one published book he co-wrote gives him the right to abuse the PM system here and call everybody "fuckwits,shitwheasels, and trolls".... Roll Eyes

That is one more book than I published and (your book?)

No one (I) am not defending behavior, but scholarly work.  I can separate the two.   Wink   
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 30, 2016, 07:39:03 AM »

He ceased to be a scholar the moment he pulled the recent stunts that got him banned here. He can co-write a book with Brad Elliot....

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 30, 2016, 07:46:36 AM »

He ceased to be a scholar the moment he pulled the recent stunts that got him banned here. He can co-write a book with Brad Elliot....

We have no personal knowledge of what ever these "stunts" were, unless you are claiming to be privy to PM's on this forum.  That, I doubt. 

Whatever went on, did not impede his ability to do research, anymore than partying all weekend would prevent one from going to work on Monday and functioning in a job. 

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 30, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »

Yeah, book schmook. Doesn't give him certain "rights" to be a condescending, arrogant, bullying, rude, insidious, fact checker and self appointed policeman police of the board. Now, if an innocent error occurs, one does not have to dragged through the gates of hell and have their skin ripped to shreds for doing it. This is a great message board, not boot camp.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 30, 2016, 09:05:16 AM »

We have no personal knowledge of what ever these "stunts" were, unless you are claiming to be privy to PM's on this forum.  That, I doubt. 

Whatever went on, did not impede his ability to do research, anymore than partying all weekend would prevent one from going to work on Monday and functioning in a job. 

For me, however, it does impact his future credibility as a source of factual information, if he is willing to knowingly spread falsehoods, as alleged.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 30, 2016, 09:40:21 AM »

For me, however, it does impact his future credibility as a source of factual information, if he is willing to knowingly spread falsehoods, as alleged.
Exactly.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 30, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »

I believe there to be more chance of Andrew doing a book about Morrissey THAN THAT ever happening
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 30, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »

Fresh air and a day spent doing stuff with friends provided me with perspective: who gives a f*** about any of this

As if the very idea of a relatively successful Beach Boys forum wasn't enough of some sort of cosmic joke, all of its users seem like they'd rather talk about each other than The Beach Boys. Other than the ones who act like a band member stole their girlfriends in high school, of course. The politics and drama are absolutely out of control here, and I'm just over it. Clearly this board has issues, as this thread amply suggests through it's hormone-fueled pages, but I'm sliding up next to the Captain and saying this scale on which this matters is infinitesimal.

Let's pull our collective heads out of our collective asses, and let's get on with our day.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:33:23 AM by I Do It All for You » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 30, 2016, 05:11:36 PM »

Let me say this:  people don't get temporarily or permanently banned from this message board for nothing.  The reasons may not always be to everyone's liking or understanding, but a lot of investigation, discussion, and soul searching takes place before such actions. 

One example: Mikie.  I personally objected to him being on this board, as 1) he had been banned from Susan's board, and 2) he threatened me and my family.  But, I did not push the point, as I trust the moderators here, and they allowed him to be here.  Until, apparently, he did something, or enough of something, to get banned. 

Even the worst of troublemakers gets every chance to clean up their act.   When they don't, moderators moderate.

Are there 2 Mikies?
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,41.msg25.html#msg25

No.  I don't know the exact state of our relationship in 2005, but we will presume from that link that it was okay.  In 2010, when I saw that he had registered here after being banned from the Shut Down board, I advised the moderators here I would abide by their decision to allow him here, but also advised them of the behavior and comments I had witnessed.  And, not incredibly at all, he eventually wore out his welcome on this message board.

Thanks for the clarifying the timeline, Charles - ’06 invitation post vs ’10 reservations. That aside, not sure why you would go with summarising the contents of the alledged stoush here.

Quote - Author GuitarFool2000 post above

Craig, in my opinion your response is indicative of your tendency to get your Superman nickers in a twist everytime there is a slight (whether minor or major) against your construction of “the truth” and then pursuing it beyond the edge of conventional logic (some e.g.s are Tuna Fish thread, who leaked the death of Smile thread) or pursuing posters who've committed a truth crime until backed into a corner.  An overly visible style which ultimately draws fire and detraction. "Alan Smith et al...." What is that about?

As Mike Donn wisely said, Moderators should not be confrontational but instead look to defuse situations.

I haven’t seen anyone deny what Andrew did in the PMs - what has been bought into question a number of times - as per my earlier response to Billy, the main thing I would like to see here is some consistency in moderation and appropriate response.

Pretty much everyone here (which includes you) wants truth and fair play to guide the “discussion”, and if we can land on what that is, then we can move on (overtime).

As I shared with someone yesterday, I sometimes wish I had not come here, but remained in my BeachBoys Brisbane fan club & message board: number of members, 1, financial status, -$200 (owed to Rockaway Records).  They were happy times.

Looking forward to Stephen Desper's next study guide or post.

- A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 30, 2016, 05:41:50 PM »

I STILL don't know what happened with Brad Elliot. Is everyone that does research on the BB's alleged to be crooked?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: