-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:20:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Lifetime ban on AGD
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lifetime ban on AGD  (Read 275468 times)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 20, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »

I have tossed and turned for a while now about whether or not I should comment on the topic in this thread. I have a lot to say about it all but simply cannot put what I want to say in words. I really wish circumstances were different but they are not and it is that for which I am most saddened. I have no understanding of why this has transpired nor knowledge of the context or contents contained in the PM's other than what has been discussed in the open forum and from the odd present and past contributor to this board asking for my opinion on certain things.  I will say however that the mod's have done the right thing without question and I say this having supported AGD many, many times. I cannot with this. I hope that we can all move on from the speculative nature of the relationship dynamic. I think that you would be amazed that for such a complex and talented individual that Brian is he leads a very simplified and normal life. Even more so on the road whilst touring.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: April 20, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »

Well said, in all respects.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 20, 2016, 09:17:22 PM »

Okay, so I read this entire thread. People are alleging bullying and threatening, but nobody has given an example. Certainly someone would have something verbatim to back that up.

Seems to me that from recent conversations with AGD, his general knowledge of the Beach Boys, and just overall common sense, he knows that so much as scratching your butt sideways when it comes to *anything* to do with the Beach Boys will get you a letter from an attorney. I'm curious as to what exactly was said.

Frankly, I'm surprised he even was on this board recently given his disgust with people's attitudes and questioning his proven knowledge.

To be quite truthful, he has told me in confidence some pretty damning things about certain individuals within the Beach Boys' "camp" (and, to be fair, some pretty redeeming things as well); but there's something that I can say about that: everything he has ever told me has also been told to me by others who have even stronger connections than he does. So either he's not "spreading lies," or somehow he conspired with a couple dozen people to back him up on the "lies."

What is your version then of what is the truth versus what is not? Considering you most likely wouldn't know what was actually said, it would be difficult to make a public call either way on fact versus fiction, yet that's what you seem to be doinjg based on whatever damning things were told to you in confidence. If you know something that was said relative to all of this, which you know is the truth, what is it?
For a Mod, you sure are confrontational. I thought you guys were locking this thread?

Seems it's been unlocked to  slam the door.
seems to me fair is fair. If the mods want to see the evidence posted by 37!ws  then they need to post some of the evidence they're privy to.
And none of this hesaid/shesaid from the oregon dude either.

But reading on I see it was opened, seemingly, so that OSD could take some more swipes at AGD now that he's not here to answer.
Best to close it again now before it gets really nasty again

I actually meant ORR, not OSD. Acronyms give me hives.

Now, I got those  PMs too, the ones ORR was talking about, about him. So, are you calling *me* a liar? It's not he said/she said.

I myself have no interest in the evidence upside-down SMiLE! has. No offense to him, but I'm not exactly an outsider here.

Vindication! Thanks Billy!!!

Sadly, I lost some Board friends who believed that crap.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: April 20, 2016, 09:19:16 PM »

Even worse, I believed it too about you. I know I apologized privately, but now I'm doing it publicly.

This is such a mess.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 20, 2016, 09:23:48 PM »

Even worse, I believed it too about you. I know I apologized privately, but now I'm doing it publicly.

This is such a mess.

Thank you Billy!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 20, 2016, 09:26:53 PM »

Okay, so I read this entire thread. People are alleging bullying and threatening, but nobody has given an example. Certainly someone would have something verbatim to back that up.

Seems to me that from recent conversations with AGD, his general knowledge of the Beach Boys, and just overall common sense, he knows that so much as scratching your butt sideways when it comes to *anything* to do with the Beach Boys will get you a letter from an attorney. I'm curious as to what exactly was said.

Frankly, I'm surprised he even was on this board recently given his disgust with people's attitudes and questioning his proven knowledge.

To be quite truthful, he has told me in confidence some pretty damning things about certain individuals within the Beach Boys' "camp" (and, to be fair, some pretty redeeming things as well); but there's something that I can say about that: everything he has ever told me has also been told to me by others who have even stronger connections than he does. So either he's not "spreading lies," or somehow he conspired with a couple dozen people to back him up on the "lies."

What is your version then of what is the truth versus what is not? Considering you most likely wouldn't know what was actually said, it would be difficult to make a public call either way on fact versus fiction, yet that's what you seem to be doinjg based on whatever damning things were told to you in confidence. If you know something that was said relative to all of this, which you know is the truth, what is it?
For a Mod, you sure are confrontational. I thought you guys were locking this thread?

seems to me fair is fair. If the mods want to see the evidence posted by 37!ws  then they need to post some of the evidence they're privy to.

But reading on I see it was opened, seemingly, so that OSD could take some more swipes at AGD now that he's not here to answer.

Now, I got those  PMs too, the ones ORR was talking about, about him. So, are you calling *me* a liar? It's not he said/she said.

I myself have no interest in the evidence upside-down SMiLE! has. No offense to him, but I'm not exactly an outsider here.

I never heard it, and I never believed it!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2016, 09:34:22 PM »

I never heard it, and I never believed it!
Happened about three years ago Emily. Before your time here.
I was kidding. It sounds awful though.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2016, 10:24:42 PM »

I was here 3 years ago, and I don't remember hearing anything negative about you, ORR. Does it have anything to do with that brief period of you being banned?

Glad you're back, though. Smiley
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: April 20, 2016, 10:52:53 PM »

Well, we've got another person confirming AGD was a big mouth.  How many people did the man blab to?  And how many people thought they were special receiving the dirt?  Whether the information was true or false that is not cool.

Thankfully Billy, when he realized it was a widespread problem, did something about it AND owned up to his mistake publicly.  Not many people would do that.

EoL
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:54:40 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 20, 2016, 11:05:57 PM »

Can anyone tell me if WHAM is reforming and opening up for the Beach Boys during the 2016 Summer Tour??

Having George and Andrew posting on this board, and answering questions about their music would be groovy!!

Just be sure to "Wake Me Up, Before you Go - Go"!!!

Dogbone
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:07:34 PM by Dogbone51 » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 20, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »

I've read all the comments, debated myself about posting or not. I don't know AGD well, just from this board and facebook. He was one of the people that alerted me to the whole Denni Leann fiasco - and I didn't know that person well, either, just someone I would chat with occasionally on facebook. That whole episode was a shocker that my mind is still trying to make sense out of, it was just so freaking weird! I never saw AGD bash any members of the Beach Boys, their family or friends. Not saying what is alleged here never happened, but I never saw that side of the man. And I do wonder if what he said to others on the board here was any worse than some of the stuff that is officially in print (Beach Boys FAQ comes to mind). There has been so much rumour and speculation surrounding our favorite group for so many years...decades, it can be hard to tell what is true and what is not.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2016, 11:18:52 PM »

This.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 20, 2016, 11:24:49 PM »

I've read all the comments, debated myself about posting or not. I don't know AGD well, just from this board and facebook. He was one of the people that alerted me to the whole Denni Leann fiasco - and I didn't know that person well, either, just someone I would chat with occasionally on facebook. That whole episode was a shocker that my mind is still trying to make sense out of, it was just so freaking weird! I never saw AGD bash any members of the Beach Boys, their family or friends. Not saying what is alleged here never happened, but I never saw that side of the man. And I do wonder if what he said to others on the board here was any worse than some of the stuff that is officially in print (Beach Boys FAQ comes to mind). There has been so much rumour and speculation surrounding our favorite group for so many years...decades, it can be hard to tell what is true and what is not.

If someone started spamming board members that you beat your kids, your wife was an alcoholic, or any other vile thing that can be made up, just for the sake of spite, what would you think then? Edit: I have no idea what was PMd about the Wilson family. My post is hypothetical.

It's against the law for starters. As to the perpetrators status on the Board, his reputation matters not. The Board administration has a standard of ethics on which they oversee membership.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:09:25 AM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: April 20, 2016, 11:40:07 PM »

edit...misunderstood
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:05:05 AM by ♩♬ Fear 2 Stop ♯♫♩ » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2016, 01:45:03 AM »

This.

The voices of reason. Lock it before there are more unnecessary misunderstandings.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2016, 02:11:29 AM »

Sounds like the mods are being brave here, and I feel like supporting them for it. 
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2016, 02:43:35 AM »

I'm totally bummed to hear that AGD has received a lifetime ban.

Mods, was he given a chance to respond to the allegations?

And it's way too early to consider locking this thread. It's only been going on for a couple of days so far. I just found out about the ban and haven't even had the chance to read most of the posts.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2016, 03:20:36 AM »

But you can read the locked threads.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2016, 07:40:35 AM »

Heh...so AGD is getting badmouthed for "blabbing" now. Yet Bob Hanes is an angel??? Geez...he was the king of telling people "secrets" and people finding out that he pretty much told everybody. (Gawd, I miss that guy, though...I wish he could have been here to see The Smile Sessions...)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2016, 07:47:25 AM »

I have been very vocal about objecting to the "Wifeandmanagers"  and "Me-Landy" labels that several members here continue to use as an insult to Melinda and to imply Landy-like manipulation. I'm not an insider, and I don't know any of these people personally, but I find it insulting and borderline slanderous to compare the man's wife to someone who abused, manipulated and almost killed him, and I've said so in several threads.

Several times I've gotten PM's from Andrew telling me how wrong I was about Melinda. Terse. Not particularly bullying., but definitely in the "I know stuff you don't" category.   I'm wise enough to know not to engage in that kind of bait, so I ignored the PM's; but I have no doubt that, had I responded, I would have gotten the AGD version of just how vile Melinda is. As a result, I don't have any difficulty believing that things could have gotten out of hand with other board members.

It's too bad. I often disagreed with AGD's anti-Melinda agenda and his Mike Love pushing, but he was quick to call BS on some areas that needed it: the Loren and Rocky threads come to mind, in particular.

I won't miss his condescending attitude. But, I will miss his actual (not agenda fueled) knowledge.
delete this account too
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2016, 07:58:04 AM »

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:32:33 AM by Mixdown Producer » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2016, 07:58:49 AM »

Heh...so AGD is getting badmouthed for "blabbing" now. Yet Bob Hanes is an angel??? Geez...he was the king of telling people "secrets" and people finding out that he pretty much told everybody. (Gawd, I miss that guy, though...I wish he could have been here to see The Smile Sessions...)

Based on what has been posted in this thread, what was the truth you're hinting at versus what were the lies?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2016, 08:07:18 AM »

I've been lurking here on and off since I started listening to the Beach Boys a few years ago. I come here for BB news and information, but this thread is a fine example of why I've never felt like participating. The melodrama of this place is completely absurd-looking to an outsider. I mean, you've got people in this thread trying to eat their cake and have it by referring to private conversations but not actually saying specific. Like, "I know a secret about so-and-so, but I'm not telling! It's really bad though!" Ugh.

It's too bad because there are some people who seem like they'd be fun to discuss the Beach Boys with, some of whom are really knowledgeable about and have ties to the band. But the nastiness of some prominent members here puts me off. Like that Legendary On-Screen Display person who seems to be some kind of old-timer BB fan, despite most of his comments resembling those of a teenage troll. Half his posts are just him quoting anything critical of Mike Love and posting lol smiley faces, just so everyone knows he approves, I guess. Doe was another one. Although I greatly appreciate his website, the dude always seemed like a bit of an ass to me, and knowing how frequently he posted here was part of why I remained a lurker. (And while I'm ranting, what's the deal with all the far-right conservatism in the "sandbox" forum? "Planned Parenthood exposed"  Roll Eyes)

I agree with drbeachboy. If I were trying to turn someone on to the Beach Boys, I wouldn't recommend they come here.

There have also been posters who have received private messages and as a result did not feel comfortable posting here again, and no longer do as a result. It is a shame that the private message system has been used in such a detrimental way, or in a way to personally attack or intimidate people, or spread lies and gossip, instead of being used as a tool to reach out and communicate with other members on a personal level rather than on the board.

Some good friendships have been formed, and some good contacts have been made. It is unfortunate that some used it instead to destroy people and reputations, and do so under the banner of privacy so no one would know of the abuses if they did happen.

There is no way to know how many members have received private messages in the past that were either offensive, unwelcome, or designed to spread lies or gossip about others, unless or until more members who received them come forward to report them.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2016, 08:34:33 AM »

I have debated whether to post in this thread or not...

For those of you that are newer members, an introduction may first be in order...  I am the former editor and publisher of Endless Summer Quarterly, and I've been a Beach Boys fan and collector for around 45 years. I would put my Beach Boys collection in the top 10 in the U.S., only behind some of the uber-collectors like Bgas, Jim, Panayiotis, and a couple more.  I handed over the editorial reigns of ESQ to David Beard around 15 years ago, when my professional and family priorities caused me not to have sufficient time to dedicate to the magazine, however in full disclosure I still maintain a financial interest in ESQ as a silent partner.  Although I've been a member of this board from the very start, I've kept a rather quiet persona around here, preferring to post mainly in the threads that deal objectively with the band's history and music.

I consider AGD a colleague in the quest to uncover as much factual information about the Beach Boys as possible.  I've learned more from him than just about anyone else on this board (perhaps c-man excepted).  I'll admit that I've been peeved at him occasionally for one of his smarmy public admonitions when I've gotten my facts incorrect, however I've gotten just as many PM's offering me the opportunity to correct myself before he posted anything.  I've just looked through my dozens of PM's from him, and I don't have a single one that could be considered "gossipy" or defamatory toward any individual on or outside this message board.  I don't dispute the reports by others that that he did; I am only speaking from my personal experience.  Andrew knew that I had no interest in that type of discussion.

I've always tried to maintain a neutral stance toward the Beach Boys.  I am a Brian fan first, but I don't hate the touring band.  I think they serve a purpose in continuing to deliver the Beach Boys' music to the masses.  But I've watched as this board has appeared to degenerate into a battle of the BW versus BB camps, with, in my opinion as a third-party observer, negative posts directed at Mike going seemingly unpunished and those threads allowed to flourish, while threads that are even slightly critical of Brian are steered in a direction that will cause them to go away.

AGD's permanent ban from this board is a MAJOR loss that further takes this board away from being a source of historical information, to being a forum for personal sparring and negativity.  This will be my last post on this board, as I try to find another place where the emphasis is on scholarly discussion of the band's music.  And if that place doesn't exist, I may have to create it...

Lee Dempsey
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »

I have debated whether to post in this thread or not...

For those of you that are newer members, an introduction may first be in order...  I am the former editor and publisher of Endless Summer Quarterly, and I've been a Beach Boys fan and collector for around 45 years. I would put my Beach Boys collection in the top 10 in the U.S., only behind some of the uber-collectors like Bgas, Jim, Panayiotis, and a couple more.  I handed over the editorial reigns of ESQ to David Beard around 15 years ago, when my professional and family priorities caused me not to have sufficient time to dedicate to the magazine, however in full disclosure I still maintain a financial interest in ESQ as a silent partner.  Although I've been a member of this board from the very start, I've kept a rather quiet persona around here, preferring to post mainly in the threads that deal objectively with the band's history and music.

I consider AGD a colleague in the quest to uncover as much factual information about the Beach Boys as possible.  I've learned more from him than just about anyone else on this board (perhaps c-man excepted).  I'll admit that I've been peeved at him occasionally for one of his smarmy public admonitions when I've gotten my facts incorrect, however I've gotten just as many PM's offering me the opportunity to correct myself before he posted anything.  I've just looked through my dozens of PM's from him, and I don't have a single one that could be considered "gossipy" or defamatory toward any individual on or outside this message board.  I don't dispute the reports by others that that he did; I am only speaking from my personal experience.  Andrew knew that I had no interest in that type of discussion.

I've always tried to maintain a neutral stance toward the Beach Boys.  I am a Brian fan first, but I don't hate the touring band.  I think they serve a purpose in continuing to deliver the Beach Boys' music to the masses.  But I've watched as this board has appeared to degenerate into a battle of the BW versus BB camps, with, in my opinion as a third-party observer, negative posts directed at Mike going seemingly unpunished and those threads allowed to flourish, while threads that are even slightly critical of Brian are steered in a direction that will cause them to go away.

AGD's permanent ban from this board is a MAJOR loss that further takes this board away from being a source of historical information, to being a forum for personal sparring and negativity.  This will be my last post on this board, as I try to find another place where the emphasis is on scholarly discussion of the band's music.  And if that place doesn't exist, I may have to create it...

Lee Dempsey

Couldn't agree more. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: