gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:40:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The December 1964 event.  (Read 40479 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2016, 03:48:39 PM »

(PS - Did you send Brian a get-well card?)

Yes, I sent it through the fan club and got back a photo of the band.
That's pretty cool.  Grin Do you still have it?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2016, 03:55:29 PM »

As far as I can recall Keith Badman's book was the first time I saw December 26 for Dallas...but I am willing to be corrected. 
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2016, 04:39:12 PM »

Actually I am looking at brad Elliot's article "do you remember: a chronology of the beach boys 1964-65" and he lists the December 26 Dallas show. I think that article preceded badmans book. Not sure of brads source.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »

However, there was a BB show being advertised in Jackson, MS for either Dec. 24 or 25. I tuned in to a Jackson radio station that was sponsoring the show when the guys were supposed to be in town, hoping to hear an interview. Instead, they said the show had been cancelled because Brian had been hospitalized and even gave an address to send him get-well cards.

Thanks for this information Margaret!  I grew up in Jackson, Mississippi, but I would have only been two years old at the time.  But as I became a Beach Boys fan I heard stories of a cancelled Beach Boys concert in Jackson in the '60s, however the reason I was given for the cancellation was the racial instability in Mississippi at that time, and the fact that the venue insisted on a segregated audience.  I'll have to chat with some of my friends that were in the radio business to see if they have any more information about the cancelled show in Jackson.

Lee
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 05:26:05 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2016, 05:51:23 PM »

Another thread that has to suffer from a SJS "king hit". Re-named the "coward punch" in Australia. He comes in and throws one dog shot and runs.... Not just any dog-shot but one that cannot be defended.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2016, 06:49:23 PM »

Another thread that has to suffer from a SJS "king hit". Re-named the "coward punch" in Australia. He comes in and throws one dog shot and runs.... Not just any dog-shot but one that cannot be defended.
The thread seems to be back on track, comments like this will only derail it again.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2016, 07:04:36 PM »

props to andrew and ian this is helluva thread !

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »

Props to this fascinating thread (at least the relevant parts).

Ian, Andrew and Jim take their research very seriously and have a great deal of respect from hardcore fans because they've earned it.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2016, 07:29:56 PM »

The thread seems to be back on track, comments like this will only derail it again.
I see your point, I questioned myself prior to posting. I proceeded purely in support of others.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2016, 08:15:54 PM »

FWIW my December 22 1964 ticket is a stub, so much for the ol' gray cells.  

Hopefully not the same as Jim's.

Thanks for posting that ticket stub, Cam.

Man, it's nice to have this thread back on track. Hope it stays that way.

ONE big question, between the pic attached and the item on ebay - WHY is there such a disparity on the ticket price, $2 to $5.50 Huh That is a serious difference in price even for those times (ie 175% increase) - Sorry but something doesn't fit !!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »

FWIW my December 22 1964 ticket is a stub, so much for the ol' gray cells.  

Hopefully not the same as Jim's.

Thanks for posting that ticket stub, Cam.

Man, it's nice to have this thread back on track. Hope it stays that way.

ONE big question, between the pic attached and the item on ebay - WHY is there such a disparity on the ticket price, $2 to $5.50 Huh That is a serious difference in price even for those times (ie 175% increase) - Sorry but something doesn't fit !!

The other guy was in Row A Seat 1 on the main floor and my guy was in the cheap seats in the balcony apparently.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2016, 05:00:53 AM »

Yeah, first row main floor for $5.50 versus $2.00 for balcony doesn't raise any alarms for me.  Think $140 for an orchestra seat versus $50 for a balcony seat today -- same ratio.

BTW I have a ticket for the 12/19 Tulsa show.  Section C, Row G, ticket price $3.50.

Lee
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:24:45 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2016, 10:12:04 AM »

Yeah, first row main floor for $5.50 versus $2.00 for balcony doesn't raise any alarms for me.  Think $140 for an orchestra seat versus $50 for a balcony seat today -- same ratio.

BTW I have a ticket for the 12/19 Tulsa show.  Section C, Row G, ticket price $3.50.

Lee

I agree concerning the ticket price ratios. Today's concerts are far more elaborate productions than those of 1964, but I find it interesting to note that adjusted for inflation those $5.50 to $2.00 tickets of 52 years ago translate to $42.25 and $15.35 in today's dollars, prices which you'd never see these days for an act as popular as the BB's were in December 1964.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:14:23 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2016, 11:25:25 AM »

In those days I guess there was no surcharge for the meet & greet with photo opportunity and signed tote bag thrown in! An extra 65c?

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2016, 06:57:51 PM »

Oh I think there was quite a bit of "meeting and greeting" going on back in the day, if you get my meaning.  Wink
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2016, 07:35:55 PM »

Oh I think there was quite a bit of "meeting and greeting" going on back in the day, if you get my meaning.  Wink
I wouldn't mind a "meet and greet" with any of the boys back in the 60's.  Cool

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2016, 10:53:24 AM »

I don't know if this would be considered "derailing," but since we're talking about the "event"....

Don't recall if I mentioned this before, but...part of me wonders if maybe Brian *faked* his breakdown. Why do I wonder? Well...

We know Brian didn't like touring. His place was the studio. And it was eye-opening to read The Lost Beach Boy and learn that Brian really hardly toured in 1963. Why? because he had to stay behind and compose and produce. And he was a busy guy in the studio in '63, producing not only stuff for the Beach Boys but side projects as well, including the Honeys, Bob & Sheri, etc. Meanwhile the touring band consists of Dennis, Mike, Carl, David, and Al.

So Dave quits. Brian freaks. Why? Because that means he'll be called upon to go back on the road, which he didn't like. He tells Murry and the rest of the band that he needs to stay back and write and produce. They ignore Brian's concerns and he ends up joining them.

Is it not unthinkable that for a long time he tried to convince the rest of the group that he needs to be off the road, to no avail, so he fakes a nervous breakdown to scare the rest of the guys into finally agreeing to let him stay home?

Mind you this hypothesis kind of goes against my strong belief that, as proven in 1972 during the Holland fiasco, Brian does NOT do anything he truly does not want to do. (But then again, this is 1964 I'm talking here. 1972 Brian and 1964 Brian = in many ways completely different Brians.)

But still...I gotta wonder. (Remember, I said *********wonder********. I'm not saying he ***did*** fake it; just entertaining the possibility.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2016, 11:00:34 AM »

I don't know if this would be considered "derailing," but since we're talking about the "event"....

Don't recall if I mentioned this before, but...part of me wonders if maybe Brian *faked* his breakdown. Why do I wonder? Well...

We know Brian didn't like touring. His place was the studio. And it was eye-opening to read The Lost Beach Boy and learn that Brian really hardly toured in 1963. Why? because he had to stay behind and compose and produce. And he was a busy guy in the studio in '63, producing not only stuff for the Beach Boys but side projects as well, including the Honeys, Bob & Sheri, etc. Meanwhile the touring band consists of Dennis, Mike, Carl, David, and Al.

So Dave quits. Brian freaks. Why? Because that means he'll be called upon to go back on the road, which he didn't like. He tells Murry and the rest of the band that he needs to stay back and write and produce. They ignore Brian's concerns and he ends up joining them.

Is it not unthinkable that for a long time he tried to convince the rest of the group that he needs to be off the road, to no avail, so he fakes a nervous breakdown to scare the rest of the guys into finally agreeing to let him stay home?

Mind you this hypothesis kind of goes against my strong belief that, as proven in 1972 during the Holland fiasco, Brian does NOT do anything he truly does not want to do. (But then again, this is 1964 I'm talking here. 1972 Brian and 1964 Brian = in many ways completely different Brians.)

But still...I gotta wonder. (Remember, I said *********wonder********. I'm not saying he ***did*** fake it; just entertaining the possibility.)

Or maybe the situation just got too much for him and he did indeed have a breakdown!  Grin
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »

Of course it's a possibility, but given that the situation was obviously actually stressful; and that we know he's "scared" of a lot of things - rather nervous; and we know he has a diagnosed schizoid-affective disorder, I don't see any reason to doubt he had a panic attack.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2016, 11:09:24 AM »

Also consider two people who knew him best were present and genuinely concerned. Dennis and Carl.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2016, 03:04:26 PM »

My brain cells may not be what they used to be, but didn't Lorren Daro state that Brian did exactly that?  I tried to read through some of that Daro thread, but I couldn't find the post where he said that.  It may have been removed, or it may be in that thread somewhere, or I may be mis-remembering altogether.  FWIW.  Which may not be much.   Smiley
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2016, 06:42:53 PM »

My brain cells may not be what they used to be, but didn't Lorren Daro state that Brian did exactly that?  I tried to read through some of that Daro thread, but I couldn't find the post where he said that.  It may have been removed, or it may be in that thread somewhere, or I may be mis-remembering altogether.  FWIW.  Which may not be much.   Smiley

Here's the quote, from a supposedly Daro comment on this blog http://www.collapseboard.com/music-blogs-3/wallace-wylie/brian-wilson-tired-of-music-critics-putting-him-in-a-box/
Within months, Brian retired from the road with the Beach Boys to stay at home to write and produce their records. It was something he had wanted to do for years. Brian’s jealous and patently insane father, the Boys, and especially the ironically-named Mike Love, were appalled by Brain’s decision. He was always bullied and intimidated by these people, and found that the only way he could get away from them was to feign mental illness – hiding in his bedroom with a pillow over his head, acting erratic and unstable, etc. He admitted to me many times that this was a theatrical performance and a purposeful sham to get off the road.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:44:53 PM by felipe » Logged
Reverberation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2016, 08:40:22 PM »

I am a Houstonian myself and interested in this subject. Here are some excerpts from a book I have called Boys from Houston by Vicki Welch Ayo that talks about the actual show itself where they played with Strawberry Alarm Clock and Buffalo Springfield

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2016, 09:00:42 PM »

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:45:24 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Reverberation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2016, 09:11:58 PM »

Ah, thank you for the link. I was just going buy the guy's recollection who wrote the letter. Now that I think about it I don't even think Strawberry Alarm Clock were around that early. So this was before they started touring with the Maharishi?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx