gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:53:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Room For Brian....Mega Concert Planned.  (Read 7912 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2016, 02:55:57 PM »

In part...

Coachella promoters look to book Dylan, Stones, McCartney and Young for mega-concert

It could rank as the classic rock concert of the century -- six bands and performers who  gathering in the Southern California desert over a single weekend in October.

Organizers of the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival are looking to book Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, the Who, Neil Young and Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters -- all Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees -- Oct. 7-9  at the Empire Polo Field site in Indio, The Times has learned.....

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-coachella-mega-rock-concert-20160415-story.html

So could it be argued the Beach Boys also "revolutionized popular music in the 1960s"? Pet Sounds anyone?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:57:24 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 03:02:31 PM »

Brian's already booked  for Portland on the 7th and Seattle on the 8th.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 03:08:56 PM »

True, but this would have to have been many months in the making. I wonder if it was ever considered?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:42:27 PM »

Brian's already booked  for Portland on the 7th and Seattle on the 8th.

Perhaps he could swing down to play this show on the last day, the 9th?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 10:06:19 PM »

Which of these acts will be headline, making all the others support acts?!?!?!?

As for Brian's exclusion, I reckon the promoters would want a reformed Beach Boys act (as in, the gang getting back together, C50-style, rather than them swearing off drugs, drink n' dames) rather than one solo member. Though that makes Roger Waters' inclusion contrary to my thinking already…

Anyone care to speculate on the price of a ticket? This could be a mega corporate trough exercise for bonus-fuelled bankers, stock market coke heads and media magnates rather than a religious experience for music fans.

Nice line-up though; I'd consider it myself of course if that other mega band, the '70s act the Bay City Rollers, were booked too.

Shang-a-lang, dudes!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:08:34 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 04:04:41 PM »

As for Brian's exclusion, I reckon the promoters would want a reformed Beach Boys act (as in, the gang getting back together, C50-style, rather than them swearing off drugs, drink n' dames) rather than one solo member. Though that makes Roger Waters' inclusion contrary to my thinking already…

Don't forget McCartney.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 05:51:57 PM »

Don't forget McCartney.

I didn't… there's not enough of his gang left for a get together really.  Suppose the same might be argued of Pink Floyd, thinking about it…. Macca's also had a mega solo career and great success in bis own right since the Beatles split.

“We live in divisive times.”
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 12:01:30 AM »

Don't forget McCartney.

I didn't… there's not enough of his gang left for a get together really.  Suppose the same might be argued of Pink Floyd, thinking about it…. Macca's also had a mega solo career and great success in bis own right since the Beatles split.
Paul did have a lot of success with Wings in the 70's, and on his own before and after, but his show these days is mostly Beatles songs.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 02:06:13 AM »

It would really be a thing of beauty to have the full lineup make it happen to play on the 9th with the other mega-bands (assuming they were invited). With enough determination by all involved (promoters, band members, wivesandmanagers) it might be able to be pulled off, but not enough people realize how unique and appropriate it would be to add them to the event, so it won't transpire.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:08:34 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 04:23:37 AM »

Dylan and Macca on friday, Neil Young and the Stones on Saturday and The Who and Roger Waters on Sunday is apparently the rumour
KDS
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 05:14:08 AM »

Dylan and Macca on friday, Neil Young and the Stones on Saturday and The Who and Roger Waters on Sunday is apparently the rumour

Wow, what a lineup. 

I'm really not a Dylan fan, but I have a lot of respect for him as a songwriter.  Not so much as a vocalist though. 

I wonder what kind of show Roger Waters is putting together.   It's been over a decade since he did a setlist that wasn't based around a classic Floyd album (Dark Side and The Wall). 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 06:56:12 AM »

It would really be a thing of beauty to have the full lineup make it happen to play on the 9th with the other mega-bands (assuming they were invited). With enough determination by all involved (promoters, band members, wivesandmanagers) it might be able to be pulled off, but not enough people realize how unique and appropriate it would be to add them to the event, so it won't transpire.

Would be lovely if it could happen, but it won't.

And even if it somehow did... Unfortunately, after the debacle of the C50 implosion, I'm not sure that a giant crowd of hipsters in the desert, the likes of which would show up in Coachella, would be ready to forgive Mike, who - regardless of one's personal feelings on the subject- is still largely publicly-speaking the undisputed villain of that saga... and I'm not even sure what kind of reception he would get at a show like that, but it might be akin to Hillary showing her face at a Bernie rally (an admitted exaggeration, but you get the point). And I think the bookers/promoters know this too, which would further hinder an offer from happening, even if it could somehow come together.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 09:52:34 AM »

And even if it somehow did... Unfortunately, after the debacle of the C50 implosion, I'm not sure that a giant crowd of hipsters in the desert, the likes of which would show up in Coachella, would be ready to forgive Mike, who - regardless of one's personal feelings on the subject- is still largely publicly-speaking the undisputed villain of that saga... and I'm not even sure what kind of reception he would get at a show like that, but it might be akin to Hillary showing her face at a Bernie rally (an admitted exaggeration, but you get the point). And I think the bookers/promoters know this too, which would further hinder an offer from happening, even if it could somehow come together.

Good point and solid analogy, although I would hope the all-knowing hipsters would be able to see the bigger picture, just as I hope the Bernie die-hards (of which I am one) will be able to see the greater good and not vote Drumpf as many are threatening to do. A set list of deep cuts along the lines of what Brian et al are doing in Japan (take "Honkin'" out of the sound check and into the show, Al!), along with current BB lineup gems like All I Wanna Do, and hypothetically all might be forgotten if the desert denizens were in a forgiving mood.

Daly, Chicago 1968
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 09:55:14 AM »

Good point and solid analogy, although I would hope the all-knowing hipsters would be able to see the bigger picture, just as I hope the Bernie die-hards (of which I am one) will be able to see the greater good and not vote Drumpf as many are threatening to do. A set list of deep cuts along the lines of what Brian et al are doing in Japan (take "Honkin'" out of the sound check and into the show, Al!), along with current BB lineup gems like All I Wanna Do, and hypothetically all might be forgotten if the desert denizens were in a forgiving mood.

I'd love nothing more than to see it happen just as you've stated. Won't hold my breath though.
KDS
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 10:23:09 AM »

Are hipsters even into stuff like The Stones, The Who, and Pink Floyd (Roger Waters)? 

In Baltimore, when the hipsters abduct the jukebox, it's usually a lot of punk and some overly pretentious music that I can't even really describe.

However, I do believe if Mike, Brian, and the Boys showed up at something like this, they'd be received very warmly.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 11:46:31 AM »

<< just as I hope the Bernie die-hards (of which I am one) will be able to see the greater good and not vote Drumpf as many are threatening to do.>>

I'm quite used to seeing decent threads devolve into idiotic Mike Vs. Brian arguments; not quite sure why it circled the drain down into the bottom-feeding world of politics... as if who plays with who on stage, somehow, has some bizarre connection with delegate counting and the electoral college... wow...
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 05:45:45 PM »

<< just as I hope the Bernie die-hards (of which I am one) will be able to see the greater good and not vote Drumpf as many are threatening to do.>>

I'm quite used to seeing decent threads devolve into idiotic Mike Vs. Brian arguments; not quite sure why it circled the drain down into the bottom-feeding world of politics... as if who plays with who on stage, somehow, has some bizarre connection with delegate counting and the electoral college... wow...

I was going to pre-emptively apologize for bringing up politics Steve, but decided that it is was a perfectly apt analogy that spontaneously came to mind and needed no obligatory disclaimer. No bizarre connections, delegates or electoral colleges anywhere in sight, if you don't see the cogent logic of the comparison then I can't help you.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:47:07 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 12:15:04 PM »

<<I was going to pre-emptively apologize for bringing up politics Steve, but decided that it is was a perfectly apt analogy that spontaneously came to mind and needed no obligatory disclaimer. No bizarre connections, delegates or electoral colleges anywhere in sight, if you don't see the cogent logic of the comparison then I can't help you.>>

I saw perfectly well the cogent logic of CenturyDeprived's comment about Mike showing up at a Brian concert akin to Hillary showing up at a Bernie rally.

Yours was a political statement, pure and clear, and had nothing to do with the subject at hand.  And my response to your comment, and the time I've wasted writing it, also has nothing to do with the subject at hand, or this thread.

How's that little bit of cogent logic for ya?

If I may quote Peter Sellers, "In conclusion, let me just say this."
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 06:16:34 AM »

How would any variation on a Beach Boys lineup fit into this bill? With the exception of Dylan these days, these are all headlining stadium acts...a feat the Beach Boys haven't conquered since before I was born...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 06:35:22 AM »

Thanks M&B... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 07:13:26 AM »

Oh I think Brian and his amazing band would fit rather well on the bill. In fact, I could see them closing the show with the final song being L&M with all acts joining in. myKe & br00th? Not a chance in hell let alone not ever being approached to be a part of it.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 03:22:01 AM »

<<I was going to pre-emptively apologize for bringing up politics Steve, but decided that it is was a perfectly apt analogy that spontaneously came to mind and needed no obligatory disclaimer. No bizarre connections, delegates or electoral colleges anywhere in sight, if you don't see the cogent logic of the comparison then I can't help you.>>

I saw perfectly well the cogent logic of CenturyDeprived's comment about Mike showing up at a Brian concert akin to Hillary showing up at a Bernie rally.

Yours was a political statement, pure and clear, and had nothing to do with the subject at hand.  And my response to your comment, and the time I've wasted writing it, also has nothing to do with the subject at hand, or this thread.

How's that little bit of cogent logic for ya?

Not very satisfactory, Steve. To recap, I compared an audience overlooking Mike's alleged C50 transgressions and seeing the big picture virtue of his presence in the band to the electorate overlooking Clinton not being as good as Sanders and seeing the big picture to vote for her and not Trump, as many Bernie supporters have threatened to do. Besides, I reject the idea that political content is utterly taboo, if that's the way you feel sorry but I really couldn't care less. Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:22:56 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 04:32:35 PM »

How would any variation on a Beach Boys lineup fit into this bill? With the exception of Dylan these days, these are all headlining stadium acts...a feat the Beach Boys haven't conquered since before I was born...

Ummm....2012???

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 06:06:59 PM »

Coachella is cool festival, Brian should go there asap if they think again and invite him.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 01:12:11 PM »

Looks like this concert has been officially announced... no Brian and no M&B.

http://home.deserttrip.com/

I petition that Mike Love should charter a helicopter, fly overhead during the Rolling Stones set, and parachute onto the stage, Beach Boys hat and all... then proceed to challenge Mick Jagger right then and there to see who has the chops!

Would be quite possibly the best (?) rock and roll moment ever.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx