gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:41:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A question about Funky Pretty  (Read 18459 times)
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2016, 08:43:23 AM »

"Songs like Leaving This Town, Steamboat, and The Trader made me really sad that they didn't keep this version of the group together longer. 
Going from stuff like that to 15 Big Ones.  Wow. "

After Carl & the passions and Holland, 15 Big ones was exactly the reason that I turned my back on the Beach Boys for several years !
I also love the Ricky and Blondie time. Ricky was / is a fantastic drummer. Yes, live it was even better.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »

Well of course Blondie and Ricky were long gone by the time of 15 Big Ones--Carl had lost his writing impetus, Dennis had decided to save his stuff for a solo LP, Brian was heavily intermittent in 1973-75. All of this underneath a massive comeback and return to prominence that further distanced themselves from the direction they'd taken with CATP and Holland.

Funky Pretty moves on from Mess of Help by applying Moog in place of guitar as the dominant instrumental tonality; it has one of the longest "tags" to be found in their work, in what was the overlapping vocals style of arrangement that had come to the fore as a replacement/alternative for more conventional harmonies. The section that elicited the question, however, contains a truly fey vocal delivery from Carl that's a 180 from the grit on Mess of Help; and, as with SOS, it's Blondie who picks up the slack and provides the funk, soul and fire that Carl seems to have mostly backed away from on Holland.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2016, 12:28:29 PM »

Well said!!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx