gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:46:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Brother/Reprise mono/stereo 45 RPM singles questions  (Read 2433 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »

When I still collected vinyl, I managed to snag a couple of Brother 45s. One of them was Add Some Music/Susie Cincinnati , both in mono. As is known, SC's mono mix placed the started-up car sound in a different place than the 15 Big Ones stereo mix. I also had some other Reprise 45s, and what seemed to differentiate mono from stereo 45s in the early 1970s on the label was not a mono or stereo designation, but the letter S following a letter and numbers in brackets. According to the cataloguing, Slip On Through/This Whole World from Sunflower were also mono, while Tears in the Morning/It's About Time were in stereo. These can be seen on this page:

http://www.beachboys45.nl/Canada-Regular-BrotherReprise70-75.htm

Seeing these make me wonder. On the Marcella/Cuddle Up single, Marcella has the letter and numbers in brackets but no S, while Cuddle Up does have the S. Does this mean Marcella was mixed for mono on the single, while Cuddle Up remained stereo? I've heard the Cuddle Up single mix is different from the album mix. Also found out there's a Marcella U.S. promo single with mono and stereo mixes, and the mono side has the same letter and numbers without the S as does the commercial single.
Also interesting, the Wouldn't It Be Nice/Caroline No single both have the S designation. I guess this means they used fake stereo mixes, as was used on Brother/Reprise's Good Vibrations-Best of 1975 set?
Anyone have these singles and can provide input?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 02:22:59 PM »

To the best of my knowledge,  all new BB singles issued in the US after "Cotton Fields" were stereo only. The mono mixes were only on DJ copies.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 10:44:35 AM »

One of them was Add Some Music/Susie Cincinnati , both in mono. As is known, SC's mono mix placed the started-up car sound in a different place than the 15 Big Ones stereo mix. 
...and "Add some.." had the string overdubs missing.

Watson, did you hear this?
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 07:34:53 AM »

Ok, this is confusing. According to the site mentioned above, Canadian copies of the Add Some/Susie single, which from appearances don't look like DJ copies, indicate mono from the lack of the S on the catalog code. (I did have a white label copy, now that I recall). Then there's a Canadian Slip On Through/This Whole World which also does not have the S.
However, the U.S. part of the site claims that Slip On Through/This Whole World does not exist on Reprise (HuhHuh).
Things get even more confusing with the Add Some/Susie U.S. single. A copy with the Reprise and Warner-7 Arts logo (which is not a white label copy) does not have the S and misspells Al Jardine's name as Jardino. A subsequent issue without the 7 Arts logo does have the S, and still says Jardino. A third variation has the S and spells Al's name correctly.
Side question: Is there a stereo version of the alternate car noise placement mix of Susie Cincinnati besides the Made in California version?
I also mentioned above that the Canadian commercial copy of Marcella does not have the stereo S, but a mono/stereo promo does have the S on one side and not the other. The U.S. apparently commercial Marcella single also does not have the S on the A-side, but does have it for Hold On Dear Brother. (I mistakenly mentioned Cuddle Up as the B-side.) The You Need A Mess of Help/Cuddle Up single has the S for both sides.
Going further, the Child of Winter U.S. single has the S for the A-side, but not for Susie, which I previously heard was the mono mix.
Maybe this whole S stereo thing is a misprint on some singles.
Here is the U.S. part of the website's page.\
http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Reprise.htm
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 02:47:29 PM »

You're assuming the absence of an "S" means the track is mono, without actually hearing the disc in question. I've heard the US "Marcella" 45 and can assure you, it's stereo - because it's exactly the same as the album cut.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 03:10:25 PM »

You're assuming the absence of an "S" means the track is mono, without actually hearing the disc in question. I've heard the US "Marcella" 45 and can assure you, it's stereo - because it's exactly the same as the album cut.
As pointed out above, the mono/stereo promo of Marcella has the S on the stereo side and no S on the mono side. Also, the white label promo I had of Add Some Music had no S. So maybe they just made a printing mistake on the commercial no-S Marcella.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx