gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:30:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 - A New Low?  (Read 10477 times)
KDS
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2016, 07:18:43 AM »

Not everyone's approach but I try to think through and remove from my thinking as best I can any prejudices.

By doing that, wouldn't you waste a lot of precious time on music you don't like?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2016, 07:18:55 AM »

What I see all the time on YouTube is the "I was born at the wrong time" argument of young people, who enthuse about tracks from the sixties and say the stuff today is shite, before wheeling out all the usual suspects. I don't know----it just seems a bit short-sighted to me.

That definitely happens. I was one of those in my late teens to mid 20s. The joke was on me, as I missed a ton of cool music that was right there. I had to discover it later, which is fine, but definitely lacks a certain excitement when it's no longer contemporaneous. There is a definite, particular thrill in experiencing something in the time in and for which it was made.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2016, 07:27:55 AM »

Not everyone's approach but I try to think through and remove from my thinking as best I can any prejudices.

By doing that, wouldn't you waste a lot of precious time on music you don't like?
No. By eliminating the prejudice, I find that I find more music that I do like.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2016, 07:33:51 AM »

No. By eliminating the prejudice, I find that I find more music that I do like.

I think there is a gray area in there--enough that I think you're both right (as lame and weasel-ish as that sounds!). I believe deeply in my heart that one of the biggest predictors of how much one appreciates, and even likes, music is exposure. Especially for unfamiliar genres or sounds, you need repeated exposures to like it--just like kids do with food, where they say, what, a dozen tastings are required to develop a taste? I think music is the same. I recall an old interview with guitarist Steve Vai in which he complained about Zappa's lack of popularity and blamed it largely on commercial radio for not playing him.

But that said, in the end, we do have individual tastes. We won't all like everything, and repeated listens won't always result in newfound love. Vai might have wanted to consider that some listeners just wanted to dance, and found complex time signatures complicated. Others like to sing along, and don't care for 12-minute instrumental opuses. Others didn't care for Frank's humor. And so on. Point being, if something really grates, sure it's possible you'd eventually come to like it. But would you inevitably like it? When does it stop being worth it to try to find out?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2016, 08:05:53 AM »

Capt,

There's some things I'll give a chance. 

And some preferences have changed as I've gotten older.  As a teenager, I didn't care for Phil Collins, Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett, or The Beach Boys.  That all changed when I entered my 20s. 

But, I think at 35, there's very little chance that I'll come around on something, especially outside of rock, that I don't like.

And if something grates on the nerves, I won't even waste the time to try it again.  Time is the most valuable resource we have as humans.  It should not be wasted on music you don't like.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2016, 08:17:11 AM »

Sure. You've got every right to listen to whatever you want, and to be honest, I don't care what it is! We can happily chat about what we've got in common and gloss over what we don't. You never know about what you'll find you like, though, or when. I was just thinking recently about starting a "changing tastes" thread when I realized how different mine are today than they were five or 10 years ago, and I'm 39. It's modern pop, some kinds of country, and certain hip-hop that I'm finding myself listening to more and more, and far less of the indie rock and classic pop/rock stuff that I'd spent the previous decade or so obsessed with.

But again, it's not that big a deal. Nobody owes their time to any music.

KDS
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 08:27:17 AM »

I know my tastes have changed slightly. 

But, if I ever start listening to hip hop, that's one of the seven signs. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »

What are the other six?  Grin

KDS
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »

Well, since you asked.

1.  Me willfully seeing the new Ghostbusters movie.

2.  Me buying a ticket to see Justin Bieber.

3.  Me wearing a Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, or New England Patriots jersey.

4.  Sofia Vergara invites me to a weekend trip to the Bahamas with Morena Baccarin, Shakira, and Diora Board.

5.  Me voting for Bernie Sanders

6.  Listing Love You, 15 Big Ones, Smiley Smile, Summer in Paradise, and KTSA as my favorite Beach Boys albums.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2016, 08:41:51 AM »

After you guys were talking about that discover weekly thing I decided to download spotify and seem to have found a decent avenue for 'discovering' new artists. If it stops crashing, at least. Anyone else ever experience that? Or do I just need a new laptop?

Spotify runs pretty well on my PC. I've never had it crash.

What I see all the time on YouTube is the "I was born at the wrong time" argument of young people, who enthuse about tracks from the sixties and say the stuff today is shite, before wheeling out all the usual suspects. I don't know----it just seems a bit short-sighted to me.

The only people on YouTube more annoying are the people who post "Im 14 and i like the beatles and all the music nowadays sucks what happened to music"

I don't hear that level of talent now.  Just about every pop song I've heard in the last four or five years is just an ear worm to me. 

You should consider googling a person named Max Martin.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »

Well, since you asked.

3.  Me wearing a Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, or New England Patriots jersey.

4.  Sofia Vergara invites me to a weekend trip to the Bahamas with Morena Baccarin, Shakira, and Diora Board.

6.  Listing Love You, 15 Big Ones, Smiley Smile, Summer in Paradise, and KTSA as my favorite Beach Boys albums.

Against both the Red Sox AND the Yankees, huh? A third party.
KDS
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »

Wow, Max Martin has his name on more garbage than Waste Management.
KDS
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2016, 08:45:04 AM »

Well, since you asked.

Against both the Red Sox AND the Yankees, huh? A third party.

Yep, I'm a lifelong Baltimore Orioles fan. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2016, 09:00:36 AM »

Not a big baseball follower but grew up among a few. I remember really liking the Orioles' colors, which is the sort of thing I thought about when baseball was incessently on our TV.
KDS
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2016, 09:03:25 AM »

Not a big baseball follower but grew up among a few. I remember really liking the Orioles' colors, which is the sort of thing I thought about when baseball was incessently on our TV.

Unfortunately, the Orioles have stunk for most of my adult life with 14 straight losing seasons from 1988-2011, but they've turned things around in recent years, and are currently in first place in the AL East (granted 153 games left to play).

I just wish they played better music at Oriole Park at Camden Yards in between innings.

Grin
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »

Unfortunately, the Orioles have stunk for most of my adult life with 14 straight losing seasons from 1988-2011, but they've turned things around in recent years, and are currently in first place in the AL East (granted 153 games left to play).

I just wish they played better music at Oriole Park at Camden Yards in between innings.

Grin
As someone who spent a plurality of my years in Massachusetts, I can completely understand the thrill of a losing team turning it around. That's awesome.
KDS
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2016, 09:27:30 AM »

Grin
As someone who spent a plurality of my years in Massachusetts, I can completely understand the thrill of a losing team turning it around. That's awesome.

I assume then you're referring to those hated Red Sox. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2016, 09:27:59 AM »

Grin

Correct. Though there's nothing particularly nice about their colors.
KDS
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »

Grin

I can't think of anything nice to say about them. 

They have an iconic stadium. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »

Grin

They do have a great stadium in a great location. And when they lost all the time, it was really cheap. My dad used to get $5 tickets for double headers in the bleacher seats. He would spread all his papers out and work; we'd bring board games and cards. You'd have the space of a living room to yourself. It was awesome.
KDS
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2016, 09:37:40 AM »

Grin

They do have a great stadium in a great location. And when they lost all the time, it was really cheap. My dad used to get $5 tickets for double headers in the bleacher seats. He would spread all his papers out and work; we'd bring board games and cards. You'd have the space of a living room to yourself. It was awesome.

Tell me more again about when the Red Sox lost all the time.  Sounds like such an amazing time. 

Just like the 60s and 70s, when all that great music was brand new. 

Heaven. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2016, 09:39:50 AM »

Grin

Tell me more again about when the Red Sox lost all the time.  Sounds like such an amazing time. 

Just like the 60s and 70s, when all that great music was brand new. 

Heaven. 
Touché!
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2016, 10:52:03 PM »

After you guys were talking about that discover weekly thing I decided to download spotify and seem to have found a decent avenue for 'discovering' new artists. If it stops crashing, at least. Anyone else ever experience that? Or do I just need a new laptop?
If you're tech savvy at all, you can find ways of reverting to the old Spotify and keeping it that way. That way it won't keep auto-updating to the version that is apparently not working for your computer.
Another cheat you can use is to use Spotifree. It silences ads on the desktop version.

I guess those might seem like a hassle, but I quite enjoy my music discovery experience with Spotify.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2016, 05:04:54 AM »

I couldn't agree with them more.   I know I was born in the wrong era. 

Maybe I see things differently because I was born in the right one----I was a teenager in the sixties. Not that I'm stuck there, musically----far from it! 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx