gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:56:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations 50th Anniversary global commemorative release announced  (Read 14600 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 09:51:22 AM »

We could just get this? LOL!

Does anyone know how many of these tracks were released on The Smile Session box set?
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 09:54:20 AM »

Releasing '70s and '80s outtakes left in the can would be slightly excessive right now. It's does baffle me a little that 'mono purists' refuse to accept that Pet Sounds sounds fresher in stereo, as would Smile.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:59:28 PM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 10:20:59 AM »

70s and 80s outtakes are not important at this stage. It's baffling how 'mono purists' just cannot conceive of how stereo Smile would be infinitely better sonically. Perhaps Capitol and The Beach Boys should focus on that, as opposed to unnecessary releases like 'Becoming the Beach Boys'.

Many fans have been desperately yearning for this for over half a decade. Should this not be the priority and be made a reality? I see the sheer amount of box sets (like the Pet Sounds Deluxe Edition), compilations etc. have muddled some fans' views on this, but they shouldn't.

Complete the resurrection of SMiLE (which started in 2003), then Brian Wilson's musical revolution can finally be fulfilled. After that, they could concentrate on 'The Bedroom Tapes', live recordings or whatever scraps are left in the can.

I don't think "mono purists" are the reason nobody else much seems particularly adamant about a reissue of the "Smile Sessions" set just to get the stuff into stereo. I can't imagine anybody is particularly against hearing "Smile" stuff in stereo where we haven't yet heard it that way.

I think it's just your personal area of interest. Which is totally cool. Everybody has their thing. There's random stuff I'd like to see remixed or redone.

But I think a lot of fans would rather get NEW material, as in previously unreleased material, than another re-noodled variation of what we already have. We've got 4 and 5-disc "Pet Sounds" sets, and a 5-disc "Smile" set. Let's move on to something else. 70s and 80s outtakes ARE important; more important that regurgitating the same stuff over and over.

While I would love all of "Smile" in stereo, I disagree that all of it would sound infinitely better. As I've said, a lot of that stuff was recorded in a rather murky, muddy fashion.

"Becoming the Beach Boys" isn't near the top of my want list either, nor my list of things I feel objectively are the best items for BRI to greenlight. But at least that set has previously unreleased material on it.

I think 2-CD (or in some cases 3-CD) Deluxe reissues of each of the band's studio albums, with mono/stereo where possible, and then fleshed out with COPIOUS amounts of bonus material, would be ideal. And in that scenario, they could even throw a 2-CD version of "Smile" in that program as well and put the whole in stereo on there.

I can't speak for other fans, but I think a lot of fans, perhaps most fans that enjoy the band's entire catalog, would rather hear "Carry Me Home" or "I'm Going Your Way" or even "We Gotta Groove" with vocals, than having to buy a multi-disc "Smile" set *again* just to hear "Do You Like Worms" in slightly-less-muddy stereo.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »

I wouldn't want another Smile Sessions Box Set necessarily, just Disk 1 reissued in stereo with a few minor changes. Also, Disks 2-5 material don't sound particularly 'murky' or 'muddy to me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:55:54 PM by PetSmile » Logged

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 10:54:41 AM »

I wouldn't want another multi disk Smile set, just Disk 1 reissued in stereo with minor changes here and there. There's a discussion going on about this on the Linett thread. Do You Like Worms?, Fire, Surf's Up etc. in full stereo is preferable to Carry Me Home in my view. Also, anything I've heard from the Disk 2-5 material doesn't sound 'murky' or 'muddy'.

I understand why fans may want previously unreleased material, but as S. Desper has said on many occasions, all of their great work has already been released officially. Also, where does that ravenous completist mentality stop? Endless takes of Shortenin' Bread? Even obscure previously unreleased tapes like Where is She? etc. have been released. How much more could anyone want?

As much as there is out there I want to hear! I dont care what form mono or stereo sounds to similar just any form one or they other is fine!!
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 11:00:32 AM »

God Only Knows in mono does sound rather 'muddy', but that doesn't bother me.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:17:45 PM by PetSmile » Logged

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »

God Only Knows in mono does sound rather 'muddy', but that doesn't bother me.

to similar to be worth wild for a separate release. I would rather listen to something totally different! It honestly very hard for me to tell the difference! I would want to hear something different!

mod note: quote edited per request
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:20:05 AM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 11:15:30 AM »

I wouldn't want another multi disk Smile set, just Disk 1 reissued in stereo with minor changes here and there. There's a discussion going on about this on the Linett thread. Do You Like Worms?, Fire, Surf's Up etc. in full stereo is preferable to Carry Me Home in my view. Also, anything I've heard from the Disk 2-5 material doesn't sound 'murky' or 'muddy'.

Just so you know, there was a stereo mix of Surf's Up on the final side of the Smile vinyl release.  It sounds great.   Here's the stereo Smile mixes I know of from the box set, the vinyl or from Made in California.

Heroes and Villains (Stereo Mix)
Our Prayer (2012 The Smile Sessions Stereo Mix)
Surf's Up (stereo mix) 
Vega-Tables (Stereo Mix)
You're Welcome (Stereo mix)
Wind Chimes (Stereo Mix)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:17:00 AM by kermit27 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 11:47:11 AM »

I understand why fans may want previously unreleased material, but as S. Desper has said on many occasions, all of their great work has already been released officially. Also, where does that ravenous completist mentality stop? Endless takes of Shortenin' Bread? Even obscure previously unreleased tapes like Where is She? etc. have been released. How much more could anyone want? Please don't think I'm indifferent to the unreleased post-Smile material, it's just that recently I've realised that Smile means more to me than 'Awake', for example. I'd love to see it in stereo, and I'm sure that future generations would too.

The people who want *totally previously unreleased* material are the "ravenous completists?" I'd say that goes more for wanting remixes of already-modern-day remixes. I'd say wanting a reissue of Disc 1 of the Smile box is far more along the lines of "ravenous completest" than wanting a full disc of unreleased 70s studio material.

The reputation and consumption of "Smile" has not been significantly impacted by the lack of a full-album stereo mix. A number of the tracks *are* already available in stereo, and I don't recall an influx of bad reviews for the "Smile Sessions" set from even casual, younger fans where they severely criticized the pieced-together approximation of the album for appearing in mono instead of stereo.

As for Desper's words, my recollection is that he was talking more about a specific subset of material, not all 70s and 80s outtakes. If Mr. Desper contended that there is nothing of value left from the 1970-1985 (and later) time frame (and I don't believe he did make such a sweeping contention), then I simply wholly disagree.

Just the stuff that has leaked out is worth official release. I'm not going to list the dozens and dozens of tracks, as others have done it here many times. "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" alternates, backing tracks, a capella mixes, demos, and so on. To say nothing of dozens and dozens of live recordings. It's nothing at all similar to "endless takes of Shortenin' Bread", and anyone that thinks the HOURS of outtakes from the 70s and 80s is anything of the sort I would say either isn't that familiar with what's *already* out there, or simply doesn't have a particular affinity for the era's material.

Back to "Smile", I love the stuff and eat it all up. But "Do You Like Worms" (the verse sections anyway) sounds like it was recorded in someone's fallout shelter and then dubbed down about ten times. It's part of the charm of the material; I have to believe it was partly if not wholly intentional on Brian's part.

Before "Smile" was released in 2011, I would have not only advocated but outright predicted it was the top priority for release. And then it was released.

Capitol/UME is never going to just "reissue Disc 1 in stereo." They may (or perhaps inevitably WILL) repackage "Smile" again in some form before too long, perhaps as early as next year for its 50th anniversary, and they may well provide a "full stereo mix" to goose sales.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:50:06 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 03:24:49 PM »

I understand why fans may want previously unreleased material, but as S. Desper has said on many occasions, all of their great work has already been released officially. Also, where does that ravenous completist mentality stop? Endless takes of Shortenin' Bread? Even obscure previously unreleased tapes like Where is She? etc. have been released. How much more could anyone want? Please don't think I'm indifferent to the unreleased post-Smile material, it's just that recently I've realised that Smile means more to me than 'Awake', for example. I'd love to see it in stereo, and I'm sure that future generations would too.

The people who want *totally previously unreleased* material are the "ravenous completists?" I'd say that goes more for wanting remixes of already-modern-day remixes. I'd say wanting a reissue of Disc 1 of the Smile box is far more along the lines of "ravenous completest" than wanting a full disc of unreleased 70s studio material.

100% agree with that! I guess I am a "Ravenous Completists" for all the material thats not released but there is something beyond that if you are wanting everything and then in all the different mixes!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:25:16 PM by The_Beach » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 04:28:41 PM »

I really don't need to hear every moment of every session of ANY recording. I'm satisfied with the 90's comp Lost and Found for the early sessions. Have heard enough GV and SMiLE sessions to last me a lifetime. I would eagerly grab a cd of rare 70's and 80's tracks, though.
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 04:15:28 PM »

Just so you know, there was a stereo mix of Surf's Up on the final side of the Smile vinyl release.  It sounds great.   Here's the stereo Smile mixes I know of from the box set, the vinyl or from Made in California.

Surf's Up (stereo mix)  
Vega-Tables (Stereo Mix)
Wind Chimes (Stereo Mix)

The ones on the vinyl are not accessible to me, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:53:28 PM by PetSmile » Logged

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 04:21:43 PM »

Just so you know, there was a stereo mix of Surf's Up on the final side of the Smile vinyl release.  It sounds great.   Here's the stereo Smile mixes I know of from the box set, the vinyl or from Made in California.

Surf's Up (stereo mix)  
Vega-Tables (Stereo Mix)
Wind Chimes (Stereo Mix)

The ones on the vinyl are not accessible to me, I'm afraid. I bet they sound glorious.

Also, may I just stress that Mark Linett and Alan Boyd's reproduction and mixing talents will not last forever. We must not be distracted by 70s and 80s obscurities, which will always remain; concentrate on stereo Smile. Whatever the views of some here, an objective view should be taken.

Ok i am pretty sure you are the only one that is wanting to see the Smile Package change to stereo and re released while everyone else is wanting the 70's and 80's unreleased tracks. there are websites online where you can change it to stereo or vis versa by yourself, if you really want to hear what the songs would sound like switched to stereo
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »

There are websites like this where?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2016, 10:41:26 PM »

I'm in no hurry for Stereo Smile. Love the sound of the mono version.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 06:30:19 AM »

Does enough of Smile even exist in stereo for such a mix to be possible?  Unless they made more "extraction mixes" like were on some of the 2012 CD reissues.

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2016, 01:19:19 PM »

I know people might be opposed to new re-releases of the Capitol Recordings at this point, but it seems like the best way to get unreleased material at this point would be in the form of mini box sets i.e 1961-1963, 1964, 1965 etc. This could be a good way of them unloading different sessions material. Even better is that they could include Mono/Stereo mixes + rare tracks + session material and alternative takes. You could also include Live albums respective to each release.

One example would be to include a 3-Disc Deluxe Version of Today! Which could have the Mono/Stereo versions, rehearsals, backing tracks, vocal sessions, Mike's version of Please Let Me Wonder ect. Smiley

A 1965 box set would include a 3-Disc Today, 3-Disc Summer Days, 3-Disc Party and the 2-CD Live in Chicago concerts.
Pet Sounds and SMiLE would stay the same.
A 1967-1969 box set would include 2-CD Smiley Smile, 2-CD Wild Honey, 2-CD Friends, 2-CD 20/20 and the Lei'd in Hawaii, Michigan and London Concerts.
A 1970-1971 box set would include a 4-Disc Sunflower (including Landlocked material), a 3-Disc Surf's Up and the Seattle, Filmore East and Carnegie Hall Shows.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:29:07 PM by SamMcK » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 03:12:46 PM »

One example would be to include a 3-Disc Deluxe Version of Today! Which could have the Mono/Stereo versions, rehearsals, backing tracks, vocal sessions, Mike's version of Please Let Me Wonder ect. Smiley

I've always wondered why this hasn't been officially released. There is no parallel (that I can think of) of a recorded alternate version of a very well-known BB song by a different BB member vocalist than the released version, sitting unreleased in the vault. Certainly not of any famous song from the band's "golden" years. The only thing that I could think of is perhaps Mike or Brian doesn't like that version and is embarrassed by it? Other than that possibility, I can't figure out why it hasn't been released after all this time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:14:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2016, 05:21:11 PM »

I've always wondered why this hasn't been officially released. There is no parallel (that I can think of) of a recorded alternate version of a very well-known BB song by a different BB member vocalist than the released version, sitting unreleased in the vault. Certainly not of any famous song from the band's "golden" years. The only thing that I could think of is perhaps Mike or Brian doesn't like that version and is embarrassed by it? Other than that possibility, I can't figure out why it hasn't been released after all this time.

Has this track been booted before?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »

Has this track been booted before?

Yes, it is on one of the Unsurpassed Masters boots.
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2016, 07:09:28 PM »

Surf's Up (stereo mix)  
Vega-Tables (Stereo Mix)
Wind Chimes (Stereo Mix)

The ones on the vinyl are not accessible to me, I'm afraid. I bet they sound glorious.

Also, may I just stress to the others here that Mark Linett and Alan Boyd's reproduction and mixing talents will not last forever. We must not be distracted by 70s and 80s obscurities, which will always remain, but concentrate on stereo Smile. Whatever the views of some here, an objective view should be taken.

Just because you think mono is outdated doesn't mean a stereo SMILE would be better.  If mono was outdated and undesirable why would the entire Beatles catalog be (re)released in Mono so recently?

A small lost of albums FAR better in mono than stereo:

VDP- Song Cycle
Randy Newman- S/T
Simon and Garfunkel- Bookends
The Beatles- Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's
Hendrix- Axis: Bold as Love
Nilsson- PSS and Aerial Ballet
Every BB album up to Friends

If you have not compared versions of the above albums, I strongly urge you to do so, unless you prefer studio gimmicks, I believe you will find the mono mixes far more engaging. It's not about what's out of date or en vogue, but what sounds best.  I think we can all agree on that.

"I look at sound like a painting, you find a balance, you have a balance and the balance is conceived in your mind. You finish the sound, you dub it down and you've stamped out a picture of your balance with that mono dubdown. But in stereo, you leave the dubdown to the listener- to his speaker placement and speaker balance. It just doesn't seem complete to me."
 -Brian Wilson

Add me to the list of obscure 70's and 80's material. Atleast if they want my money.   

I want so badly to give my money to the BB's, but I can't justify buying the same titles over and over.
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2016, 05:55:27 AM »

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:52:33 PM by PetSmile » Logged

branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »

I'm sorry PetSmile but, Brian has also stated that he mixed in Mono not just because he's deaf but, also mess it up a number of different ways by mixing in Stereo, this according to Mark Linett who asked Brian personally during the mixing of the Smile sessions Boxset in 2011. Stop saying that Mono is crap also because you probably have been spoiled with Stereo music your whole life like me. Back in the 60's Mono was the best, Stereo was a new invention. When I get a chance to hear these new Stereo Mixes they are nice but, Mono was how it was intended. Quit taking it for granted.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »

Smile is better in stereo but you can't mix the whole album like that without there being some awful phasing a la the 2001 WIBN

Linett and Boyd's stereo mixes are hit and miss - sometimes they work, sometimes they rob the original feel of the recordings, sometimes they add back in elements that Brian was wise to mix down

How many stereo versions of the TSS track list have been made? Just listen to those
VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2016, 10:32:31 AM »

Surf's Up (stereo mix)  
Vega-Tables (Stereo Mix)
Wind Chimes (Stereo Mix)

Also, may I just stress to the others here that Mark Linett and Alan Boyd's reproduction and mixing talents will not last forever. We must not be distracted by 70s and 80s obscurities, which will always remain, but concentrate on stereo Smile. Whatever the views of some here, an objective view should be taken.

Just because you think mono is outdated doesn't mean a stereo SMILE would be better.  If mono was outdated and undesirable why would the entire Beatles catalog be (re)released in Mono so recently?

A small lost of albums FAR better in mono than stereo:

VDP- Song Cycle
Randy Newman- S/T
Simon and Garfunkel- Bookends
The Beatles- Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's
Hendrix- Axis: Bold as Love
Nilsson- PSS and Aerial Ballet
Every BB album up to Friends

If you have not compared versions of the above albums, I strongly urge you to do so, unless you prefer studio gimmicks, I believe you will find the mono mixes far more engaging. It's not about what's out of date or en vogue, but what sounds best.  I think we can all agree on that.

"I look at sound like a painting, you find a balance, you have a balance and the balance is conceived in your mind. You finish the sound, you dub it down and you've stamped out a picture of your balance with that mono dubdown. But in stereo, you leave the dubdown to the listener- to his speaker placement and speaker balance. It just doesn't seem complete to me."
 -Brian Wilson

Add me to the list of obscure 70's and 80's material. Atleast if they want my money.  

I want so badly to give my money to the BB's, but I can't justify buying the same titles over and over.

That quote is in relation to old stereo. Also, he's DEAF in his right ear. Those albums you mentioned sound poor in stereo because they're in fake stereo. All the vocals panned to the left, and the backing track to the right, which sounds appalling.

'It's just like having one eye, you don't get the depth. I try to imagine hearing stereo, but there's no way to know... you don't get to hear the depth and the beauty.' - Brian Wilson

Brian is exactly right with that analogy. All of that layered complexity blasted at you from one source just doesn't do justice to Smile.

Most of the albums I listed aren't fake stereo 8 )

Gouge one of my eyes out if it will make things look as good as a proper mono mix sounds.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx