gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:45:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy Birthday No Pier Pressure  (Read 15601 times)
KDS
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2016, 05:25:21 AM »

Inspired by this thread, I finally got around to re-listening to this album today.  The Deluxe Edition is still the way to go (why would anyone choose to hear less Brian Wilson music?).

My favorites are still: "Whatever Happened", "The Last Time", "I'm Feeling Sad", "Sail Away" and "Tell Me Why"...but "Guess You Had To Be There" has shot up to the #1 spot for me. The duets with the (then) new artists are usually the weakest links on the chain IMO, but this jaunty number gets better and better with each listen. I'm half-inclined to pick up a Kacey Musgraves CD to see if her own material stands up to this.

Brian gave an interview recently (linked somewhere on the board) where he emphatically claimed that "The Last Song" is not about the C50 tour expiring. I'm inclined to believe him, despite what Joe Thomas was saying at the time of the album's release.  That always struck me as a bit of pre-release hype from Joe. I've warmed to the "la la la's" but I really think it's weaker song than "One Kind Of Love" which would've been the perfect album closer.

I rated it highly then and still do now.

The only problem there is that "The Last Song" wouldn't be the last song. 
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2016, 11:08:36 AM »

My favorites are still: "Whatever Happened", "The Last Time", "I'm Feeling Sad", "Sail Away" and "Tell Me Why"...but "Guess You Had To Be There" has shot up to the #1 spot for me. The duets with the (then) new artists are usually the weakest links on the chain IMO, but this jaunty number gets better and better with each listen. I'm half-inclined to pick up a Kacey Musgraves CD to see if her own material stands up to this.

I have both of her records and I think they are great. They don't sound a lot like GYHTBT....that tune has Brian's influence in it for sure....a good reason why so many of us do love it. The guests brought something FRESH to Brian and Joe that was different than their own stuff, and different than Brian's other solo stuff. It was like a brand new harmony as opposed to another star just adding a vocal. Kacey has true talent that is rare today. Check out some vids and tunes on youtube or something and if you think she sounds pretty good she is sure to grow on you. Her songs have a ton of heart and humor as well. Kind of like those guys from California in the 60's....you know the bothers, cousin and friend.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2016, 11:50:38 AM »

I just read this thread, as my life has been a bit under pressure for the past 10 days or so.

I stick with my stand that this will be appreciated much more as time goes on, as has so much of Brian's works, as he challenges preconceptions, and people like to be comfortable with the familiar.

I personally loved it then, and love it more now.
KDS
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2016, 11:57:23 AM »

I just read this thread, as my life has been a bit under pressure for the past 10 days or so.

I stick with my stand that this will be appreciated much more as time goes on, as has so much of Brian's works, as he challenges preconceptions, and people like to be comfortable with the familiar.

I personally loved it then, and love it more now.

I'd agree with that Debbie.  Personally, I think Brian has been on a roll since the Smile revival. 

Sometimes an album sounds pleasant on first listen, and you kind of put in on the shelf and forget about it for awhile and go back to listening to the old stuff.  Not the case here. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2016, 12:28:16 PM »

I must work on "The Last Song", the way I worked on Alan's "And I Always Will". Album closers are tricky things... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2016, 11:48:22 PM »

Inspired by this thread, I finally got around to re-listening to this album today.  The Deluxe Edition is still the way to go (why would anyone choose to hear less Brian Wilson music?).

Brian gave an interview recently (linked somewhere on the board) where he emphatically claimed that "The Last Song" is not about the C50 tour expiring. I'm inclined to believe him, despite what Joe Thomas was saying at the time of the album's release.  That always struck me as a bit of pre-release hype from Joe. I've warmed to the "la la la's" but I really think it's weaker song than "One Kind Of Love" which would've been the perfect album closer.

I think "One Kind of Love" is the "Love and Mercy" of Brian's recent career - it's a song he's still singing in concert, I suspect, like L&M, it will remain in his setlist for a long time to come.
KDS
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 05:24:12 AM »

I think "One Kind of Love" is the "Love and Mercy" of Brian's recent career - it's a song he's still singing in concert, I suspect, like L&M, it will remain in his setlist for a long time to come.

I think you're right. 

I had an interesting moment in Barnes and Noble in Tyson's Corner last year at a Brian Wilson signing.  They were playing NPP over the PA when I approached Melinda to sign the Blu Ray of the Love and Mercy movie I'd just had Brian sign.  When One Kind of Love came on, she stopped the conversation she had with somebody, and said with a big smile on her face, "this is the song Brian wrote for me." 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2016, 05:30:43 AM »

I have both of her records and I think they are great. They don't sound a lot like GYHTBT....that tune has Brian's influence in it for sure....a good reason why so many of us do love it. The guests brought something FRESH to Brian and Joe that was different than their own stuff, and different than Brian's other solo stuff. It was like a brand new harmony as opposed to another star just adding a vocal. Kacey has true talent that is rare today. Check out some vids and tunes on youtube or something and if you think she sounds pretty good she is sure to grow on you. Her songs have a ton of heart and humor as well. Kind of like those guys from California in the 60's....you know the bothers, cousin and friend.

While her music doesn't sound like Brian Wilson, I strongly recommend that anyone who likes a light country pop (not the kind of bro country that you hear from time to time, with distorted guitars and huge drums, and not really rootsy and rough, either) get both of her albums. She's a really clever songwriter lyrically and does some very cool things musically.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2016, 05:45:16 AM »

She is a great artist with many years of songwriting ahead! And funny she is closer to traditional country than "bro" country. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2016, 05:47:15 AM »

She is a great artist with many years of songwriting ahead! And funny she is closer to traditional country than "bro" country. Wink

Not my cup of tea, but I just hope she doesn't go the Taylor Swift route. 

I doubt she will, as she's more mature, and a better singer than Swift.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2016, 05:57:17 AM »

Her latest album certainly would probably be best called countrypolitan and fit right into that popular country of the '70s.

(Bringing it all back to the topic--sorry for those who get bugged by derailings) I really liked her track on NPP. Considering it's only four chords repeated the whole way through, it's a minor miracle that it is even listenable. And I actually don't even like the lyrics much. But it sounds great, it's upbeat, and I love the harmonies.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2016, 06:43:09 AM »

I had NPP in my car player all summer long. It went by the wayside a bit this winter, but I still really like the album.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2016, 10:36:26 AM »

I had an interesting moment in Barnes and Noble in Tyson's Corner last year at a Brian Wilson signing.  They were playing NPP over the PA when I approached Melinda to sign the Blu Ray of the Love and Mercy movie I'd just had Brian sign.  When One Kind of Love came on, she stopped the conversation she had with somebody, and said with a big smile on her face, "this is the song Brian wrote for me." 

One Kind of Love is amazing. Truly a fantastic song, top 5 of Brian's solo career easily. I could only imagine how emotional it must be for Melinda to have the beauty in that song written for her.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2016, 11:41:55 AM »

I had NPP in my car player all summer long. It went by the wayside a bit this winter, but I still really like the album.

Then we are in rare accord: a solid summer album.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2016, 12:15:54 AM »

While her music doesn't sound like Brian Wilson, I strongly recommend that anyone who likes a light country pop (not the kind of bro country that you hear from time to time, with distorted guitars and huge drums, and not really rootsy and rough, either) get both of her albums. She's a really clever songwriter lyrically and does some very cool things musically.
I was looking for her cd tonight at Hastings. Was looking in 'country', didn't see any. Guess I will just look her up on youtube, you've got me interested now.
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2016, 08:29:37 AM »

no one has mentioned This Beautiful Day yet? I know it's short but it's absolutely breathtaking!

I love how you can hear the exhales on the harmonies...makes them 'breathe' and really come alive.

\
KDS
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2016, 08:49:24 AM »

no one has mentioned This Beautiful Day yet? I know it's short but it's absolutely breathtaking!

I love how you can hear the exhales on the harmonies...makes them 'breathe' and really come alive.

\

Not sure if I mentioned it, but it's a great beginning and sets the tone for, well most, of what's to follow.  I only wish Whatever Happened directly followed it.  Instead, IMO the album kinda gets blown off course for a minute by Runaway Dancer. 
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2016, 02:10:26 AM »

'One Kind of Love' was just amazing at the Osaka concert. As I noted in my review, Brian seemed to struggle vocally during some of the Pet Sounds stuff, but he sounded fantastic on 'One Kind of Love.' Kinda surprising, because it does not sound like an easy melody to sing, but I suppose he writes his recent music with his current range in mind. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx